• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get a new phone soon and debating between the M8, S5 and Nexus 5. Thoughts on which to get? Main priorities are Internet surfing, music, and battery life. I can get an S5 at Target for $100 by trading it my current phone so I'm leaning in that direction.

If I get a Nexus 5 through Google, how exactly does it work with the carrier? I have AT&T now, so I would just swap out the SIM card? Anything else I need to do?

And a logistical question, when you have a bunch of stuff saved on the microSD card and get a new phone, do I have to wipe the card before swapping it into the new phone, or can I put the card in with the current data in?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Looking to get a new phone soon and debating between the M8, S5 and Nexus 5. Thoughts on which to get? Main priorities are Internet surfing, music, and battery life.

If I get a Nexus 5 through Google, how exactly does it work with the carrier? I have AT&T now, so I would just swap out the SIM card? Anything else I need to do?

And a logistical question, when you have a bunch of stuff saved on the microSD card and get a new phone, do I have to wipe the card before swapping it into the new phone, or can I put the card in with the current data in?

This answer is based on my experience with an N4 from Google and a plan with T-Mobile.

If you stay with AT&T you will just keep your SIM card. I would call them or stop into a store and ask if they have any kind of stipulation regarding phone switching. T-Mobile had none.
Just order up the phone through Google and when it arrives swap your SIM. The phone will take care of the rest.

For the SD card, you shouldn't have to wipe the data or format it when you swap it over. Keep in mind though that I believe the N5 only has internal memory and doesn't have a slot for a MicroSD.

catmincer

Nexus 5 doesn't support sd cards which is rather offputting.

If camera isn't important i would go for the m8.

You don't need to wipe the sd card between phones either.

Esqueleto

Banned
Looking to get a new phone soon and debating between the M8, S5 and Nexus 5. Thoughts on which to get? Main priorities are Internet surfing, music, and battery life. I can get an S5 at Target for $100 by trading it my current phone so I'm leaning in that direction.

You can switch the sim. Att seems to lock features based on the phone though( I couldn't get lte on my Nexus 4 even though it worked on tmobile). Shouldn't be a problem if you get the S5. As for the sd card, it's hard to say. I always just backed up everything that wasn't apps moved to the sd card and formatted.

tino

Banned
Yep. You can't limit your thought to consumer applications. This has huge implications for medical and other specialized industries because you can attach all sorts of sensors.

Most of these commercial hardware application IMO are better of doing what the portable credit card reader vendors are doing now, just a small plug into the microUSB port or build the hardware into an iPhone/iPod case.

Although for consumers, some of the ideas they showed was that you could snap in a smaller screen and physical keyboard vs. a larger screen. Or a larger battery module vs. a battery module and a camera module. Or a speaker bar, mid size screen and a keyboard.

Take a look:
project-ara-mdk-4-600x400.jpg

I think its a very complicated answer to a question nobody is asking. They could have purpose a larger slot like the Handspring springboard interface.

In face I don't see any reason why do any future commercial hardware (barcode reader, whatever) need to physically connect to the smartphone. All of them can talk to the phone via bluetooth. You just need to put a tiny battery in the accessory.

leng jai

The M8 does seem to be the clear choice if you're not particularly fussed about the camera. If audio performance is of importance it makes it even more obvious with the M8's front facing speakers and high quality headphone out. The only other downside is the size, it's pretty big even for a 5inch.

demented

Recently an issue has come up with my mobile data internet on my s3. For most of the time it works great but then suddenly it stops working at all. It won't open any pages, whatsapp/facebook sometimes work but not always but pages nope, it just gets stuck at loading. Tried restarting but it doesn't help, safe mode either. What is weirdest is I started tethering and it worked on my friend's phone when he connected to me!

I'm on 4.1.2, not running any rom. Anyone got ideas what to try or what it might be? I reset and deleted apn files but didn't help. I will backup and wipe it all as last resort but I really hate doing that because it takes too much time.

kehs

Banned
Most of these commercial hardware application IMO are better of doing what the portable credit card reader vendors are doing now, just a small plug into the microUSB port or build the hardware into an iPhone/iPod case.

I think its a very complicated answer to a question nobody is asking. They could have purpose a larger slot like the Handspring springboard interface.

In face I don't see any reason why do any future commercial hardware (barcode reader, whatever) need to physically connect to the smartphone. All of them can talk to the phone via bluetooth. You just need to put a tiny battery in the accessory.

Bandwidth.

minx

Willing be picking up the S5 tomorrow. I wanted to go away from the Galaxy after my S3 had a bunch of problems and died on me by unknown means. I held the S5 at Best Buy and holy shit I could never get a phone bigger than this. Seemed much bigger than my S3. Been using a Nokia 5100 for now. The HTC One is just too tall and with the on screen buttons the screen is even smaller. Altho sense does look better than Touch Whiz. Hope I don't regret it!

Does anybody know how to force newsstand to update at all? I subscribe to a magazine and although the latest issue is in newsstand if you search for it, it won't update in my subs section so I can't read it. Doing a refresh within newsstand does nothing. Thanks

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Thanks, I disabled Steam at least.

As far as I know the Steam android app stays open in order to allow you to use the chat.

When I use Steam on my phone and I'm done with it I always just open the slide tray and click "Quit Steam". It will get rid of the notification and close Steam.

The wifi notification is a Touchwiz thing. The Steam notification is obviously from the Steam app. Check the settings for that app. There's probably a setting to remove it.

ongoing wifi notification is done at the request of the carrier, usually on Verizon and AT&T. well, unless the GS5 has it worldwide now, but on previous devices it was just those carriers.

If your priorities are music and battery, Nexus is the last thing you should consider. I presume you have tons of music? There’s no sd card feature in Nexus, so if you’re thinking about uploading and streaming to phone, I suggest you think about the following: 1) Do you have to worry about data limits? 2) Repercussions of heavy streaming as it affects battery drain. Is it going to be a problem? If so, streaming is the last thing you need. Not when you’ve already got the economical and efficient solution in front of you, in the form of sd cards.

Blablurn

I don't wanna spend much on a new phone but I feel like trying out a Samsung Galaxy. Would going from a Moto G to a Galaxy S 3 be a downgrade?

kehs

Banned
I don't wanna spend much on a new phone but I feel like trying out a Samsung Galaxy. Would going from a Moto G to a Galaxy S 3 be a downgrade?

Hardware and performance wise. No way.

Software wise, depends on if you enjoy Google Bloat over Samsung Bloat.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Hardware wise it's pretty much a side grade outside of LTE, and the Moto G has better and more update to date software.

Just not worth the bother. If you could get a Note II or else maybe the S4 once the S5 is really available so the S4 goes down in price sure. No point moving to an S3 though.

Blablurn

Hardware wise it's pretty much a side grade outside of LTE, and the Moto G has better and more update to date software.

Just not worth the bother. If you could get a Note II or else maybe the S4 once the S5 is really available so the S4 goes down in price sure. No point moving to an S3 though.

I could get a note 2 if I sell my nexus 7 as well but i'm not sure if I wanna go through that hassle.

Used to be easier when Ebay didnt suck. But with todays community I'm rather hesitent when it comes to selling several devices :/

Xyber

Just picked up my S5. First time going Android after like 4 years with iPhones. This is gonna be fun.

Oh sweet, 48GB of Dropbox storage because I have a Samsung. That's nice of them.

After messing with the fingerprint scanner for a while and setting up my thumb to be used with 1 hand (just swipe it down sideways and not straight down like they want you to do) and it works great. Didn't actually expect it to work that good and I'll be sticking with that now.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
According to Android Police, the download booster from the S5 isn't available on AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint. Tmobile and US Cellular are the only carriers that will have it. ATT might have it added in an update since apparently it's not done being tested.

mturco

ongoing wifi notification is done at the request of the carrier, usually on Verizon and AT&T. well, unless the GS5 has it worldwide now, but on previous devices it was just those carriers.

Oops. I'm confused as to why carriers would want it there permanently though... surely that space could be used more effectively to display an enormous Verizon logo at all times.

jokkir

Has there been any talks of a second generation QX series camera lenses from Sony? Or a major update to their PlayMemories Mobile?

Interested in the product but probably not in its current state.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I was able to successfully replace the screen/digitizer assembly on my G2 after dropping it in some water last week. Feels great to be back on it after slumming it with an S4 for a week. The repair was surprisingly easy once I had the proper tools to get the old screen out. Bonus: the screen replacement I bought doesn't have the Verizon logo on the top corner.

My lg g2 led is always flashing different colours. Does anyone know what this means? Notification bar shows nothing.

Have you gone into the notification settings to see what activities it's enabled for? Some of them are a bit odd.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

That's a waste of effort.

Toki767

My lg g2 led is always flashing different colours. Does anyone know what this means? Notification bar shows nothing.

If I had to guess, the LG E-mail and Messaging apps are still active in the background for LED lights but you don't use them so you have to disable them or disable the LED light in those apps in Settings.

Also, each app can have a different color notification led (Yahoo/purple. Facebook/Blue, IM/Green, etc)

Also for those who are debating on a G2 or a Nexus 5, I was in the same boat but I got the G2 because on T-mobile, it has wi-fi calling and the Nexus does not. That is huge for me when traveling to Canada, since some places I go do not have reception, but good wi-fi.

Blablurn

Go big or go home. Get an iPhone

Or the new flagships or just even wait for the G3 or new Nexus ;)

i was asking about those old phones because i dont wanna spend too much money. thought about selling my moto g and nexus 7 to get a note instead.

this_guy

i was asking about those old phones because i dont wanna spend too much money. thought about selling my moto g and nexus 7 to get a note instead.

Where are you located? The LG G2 is a great phone but LG's don't hold their value well so you can find them for a decent price on Craigslist.

Xyber

White GS5 looks and feels great in person.

Yep. I was doubting my decision to go with the white one for a little while, but when I got the phone all that doubt just went away. Looks much better in person than in images or videos.

After spending just a few hours with it and then going back to my iPhone 4S to wipe everything from it I realized just how incredibly small the 4S is. The difference, while noticeable, didn't stand out as much when I went up in size it really hit me when I had to go back again. :p

And I have to say that the headset you get with the phone is actually pretty okay. Not great or anything but way better than I expect from something they pack in. Too bad the rubber thingys on the buds are white though, I can get quite a bit of ear wax sometimes and that really shows on them after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom