• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

Thinking about getting a Nexus 5...seems like the best off contract deal to me, at least in the sub $500 range.

Just a bit concerned about the battery life, since that seems to be people's main concern with the phone. I've never owned a smartphone, so I'm not sure how much I would need in terms of battery on a given day.

Even if you won't use it too much throughout the day, you will have to charge it at least once a day or it won't last the second day.

Nexus 5 should be enough for most people throughout a work/school day unless you literally use it all the time.

Even if you won't use it too much throughout the day, you will have to charge it at least once a day or it won't last the second day.

Nexus 5 should be enough for most people throughout a work/school day unless you literally use it all the time.

Thanks, it seems to me like the battery life should be sufficient for what I plan to use it for. As long as it can last a typical day with moderate use, I think it should be fine for me.

wilflare

Is anyone using Link Bubble?
it'll be nice if Chrome for Android supports extensions... I'll use a Link Bubble extension and Xmarks too.

kehs

Banned
Thanks, it seems to me like the battery life should be sufficient for what I plan to use it for. As long as it can last a typical day with moderate use, I think it should be fine for me.

Look into the Moto G, even cheaper than the N5, great starter phone.

I routinely get 36 hours on a a single charge.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thinking about getting a Nexus 5...seems like the best off contract deal to me, at least in the sub $500 range.

Just a bit concerned about the battery life, since that seems to be people's main concern with the phone. I've never owned a smartphone, so I'm not sure how much I would need in terms of battery on a given day.

You'll be fine, and honestly even if you had a phone with slightly better battery you're still gonna charge it each night anyways.

Nexus 5 is the best deal but the cheapest that's still good is a Moto G.

I do agree with this though. Nexus 5 is fantastic, but if you want a good entry level smart phone don't hesitate to look at the Moto G. You can cop one for under $200.

_woLf

Hey guys, I have a question. I'm doing the math and I think it's solid but I'd like some reassurance. I'm still on the fence on whether I want to go with the Edge program and I want to know if this "loyalty" thing that the Verizon salesman was trying to lure me with is actually a good deal.

I'm considering getting a Galaxy S5 using the Verizon Edge program. The guy at the verizon store said I qualify for a "loyalty" program since I've been with them for 8 years, so it'd be $60 a month for 2GB data and unlimited talk/text. Since I could replace the phone after a year I wouldn't need to buy the extended warranty service ($8) just the limited one ($5) since the S5 has a 1 year warranty on it's own. They offer the S5 for $25/mo. So, that would mean $90 a month before taxes for the phone, and I could upgrade at no extra cost (from what I understand) after a year. That would mean I'd pay $2160 in two years, or $1080 for 12 months.

My other option is the normal $200 down option with the normal contract -- my question here is, does the $60 "loyalty" plan exist if you don't want to do the Edge program? If it does, then without a doubt going the $200 down option would be way cheaper, as the $200 down + $68/month would cost $1832 total after 24 months.

If the loyalty plan requires edge, then I'd have to go with the $75/month plan for the $200 down option, which would bump the price up to $83/month, which bumps it up to $2192 a month. In this case, the Edge plan would actually be cheaper.

tldr; does this verizon $60/month "loyalty" program require edge, and if so, does it actually make edge a good-ish deal? (Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, I figured since it's related to Android in that I'm getting an S5...)

snacknuts

we all knew her
Hey guys, I have a question. I'm doing the math and I think it's solid but I'd like some reassurance. I'm still on the fence on whether I want to go with the Edge program and I want to know if this "loyalty" thing that the Verizon salesman was trying to lure me with is actually a good deal.

I'm considering getting a Galaxy S5 using the Verizon Edge program. The guy at the verizon store said I qualify for a "loyalty" program since I've been with them for 8 years, so it'd be $60 a month for 2GB data and unlimited talk/text. Since I could replace the phone after a year I wouldn't need to buy the extended warranty service ($8) just the limited one ($5) since the S5 has a 1 year warranty on it's own. They offer the S5 for $25/mo. So, that would mean $90 a month before taxes for the phone, and I could upgrade at no extra cost (from what I understand) after a year. That would mean I'd pay $2160 in two years, or $1080 for 12 months.

My other option is the normal $200 down option with the normal contract -- my question here is, does the $60 "loyalty" plan exist if you don't want to do the Edge program? If it does, then without a doubt going the $200 down option would be way cheaper, as the $200 down + $68/month would cost $1832 total after 24 months.

If the loyalty plan requires edge, then I'd have to go with the $75/month plan for the $200 down option, which would bump the price up to $83/month, which bumps it up to $2192 a month. In this case, the Edge plan would actually be cheaper.

tldr; does this verizon $60/month "loyalty" program require edge, and if so, does it actually make edge a good-ish deal? (Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, I figured since it's related to Android in that I'm getting an S5...)

I hope I don't across as flippant when I say this, but can't you ask the guy at Verizon?

MattDoza

Is anyone using Link Bubble?
it'll be nice if Chrome for Android supports extensions... I'll use a Link Bubble extension and Xmarks too.
Tried it for a week and then uninstalled. I love it for Talon and reddit, but don't want to use it as a dedicated browser. Tried using it without making it the default but selecting chrome or link bubble each time I hit a link just became tedious.

Husker86

I'm going to assume that their "loyalty plan" is the same as AT&T's value plan which means you have to be off contract to use it. That's the whole point of these plans; you get better pricing by not being under contract.

Double check with Verizon though.

reKon

Banned
Why the fuck isn't there a doodle option anymore on the stock 4.4.2 photo editor? That was literally the only thing I would use the editor to circle something I'm showing someone on a screenshot

I did end up going with the Nexus 5. Since I'm going off contract, I'm going to try Ting for awhile, since I've heard some good things about them. Only negative is that the Ting SIM card for the Nexus 5 has a 10 day shipping estimate, whereas the Nexus 5 itself should be here by Wednesday or so. Heh. (It was $20 for a 3 day shipping on the SIM card...not gonna happen.)

Oh well. I can just use WiFi and my old phone for calls/texts until the SIM card gets here.

First smartphone, so that'll be nice. I've had an iPod Touch for about 4 years that's done the job for me, but this will be a definite step up I think.

Portugeezer

So I've been looking for a good capacitive stylus, most seem to be quite thick, about half a cm+ in diameter (one I bought is about 7mm I would say).

Not really good for finesse touch screen control?

Where the fuck can I get a thin stylus?

wilflare

Tried it for a week and then uninstalled. I love it for Talon and reddit, but don't want to use it as a dedicated browser. Tried using it without making it the default but selecting chrome or link bubble each time I hit a link just became tedious.

yes that's the exact problem I have with it... if only Chrome can buy it over and make it an official extension but oh well...

I love Talon.. but I feel kinda inclined to go back to Twitter for Android... for proper push notifications

Emwitus

Honestly, I have no idea why anyone would recommend a nexus phone over say a one or a s5. Having had a 4 for the past year( also this being my first smartphone) its very limited feature wise and the camera is absolute shit. Im going with an s5 next.

kehs

Banned
Honestly, I have no idea why anyone would recommend a nexus phone over say a one or a s5. Having had a 4 for the past year( also this beingy first smartphone) its very limited feature wise and the camera is absolute shit. Im going with an s5 next.

1 < 2

Husker86

Ahh. Silly me. Yeah, it was worth the buck though. Valid reason that had slipped my mind.
I gues the camera has made me sour on the nexus line.
I have both the 4 and 5 and the 5 camera is noticeably better. Your point stands about being compared to the flagship cameras though.

Xyber

I've been watching stuff on netflix for 3 hours now and I have to say that I'm very impressed with both the battery life and how good blacks look on the S5. The bigger screen makes watching stuff on the phone a pretty good experience.

Extremely pleased with the phone so far after my first weekend with it. No regrets with switching from iOS to Android.

Stock Android is looking better every day.

ejEuyng.jpg

Rumor from AP:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/13/rumor-googles-android-app-icons-to-get-a-moonshine-makeover/

Man, this makes me wish I got a google play edition of the galaxy s4. I tried rooting my sgh-I337, but I updated to 4.4.2, so there is no root for it yet...Stock Android is so sexy... : (
I will probably upgrade to a Nexus 6 when it comes out. I will miss the micro SD card slot though...Maybe I will sell my S4 and iPhone 4S towards it to get a 32gb model (if they make one that size).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ahh. Silly me. Yeah, it was worth the buck though. Valid reason that had slipped my mind.
I gues the camera has made me sour on the nexus line.

I have both the 4 and 5 and the 5 camera is noticeably better. Your point stands about being compared to the flagship cameras though.

Yeah Camera is much improved in the 5, and we are at a point spec wise that what we have is overkill for the most common use cases.

Main thing is at least personally I'm just over having to pay so much for a smartphone + plan.

Portugeezer

Videos don't work properly when browsing with firefox on my LG G2. Any videos that are not Youtube or an app are just blank with sound.

When seeking through the video though it shows the image, but then when playing it is blank with just sound.

Anyone experienced this before?

edit: a work around is to open link with a media player, still annoying.

Zeppu

So anyone here have an M8? Does the immersive UI (i.e. the notification bar becoming translucent in some applications) work only for the Sense's suite of apps or does it work for any app which is coded that way, like on stock Android.

-or-

Could someone with an M8 post a screenshot of an immersive app like PushBullet?

Thanks.

kehs

Banned
So anyone here have an M8? Does the immersive UI (i.e. the notification bar becoming translucent in some applications) work only for the Sense's suite of apps or does it work for any app which is coded that way, like on stock Android.

-or-

Could someone with an M8 post a screenshot of an immersive app like PushBullet?

Thanks.

I don't have an M8, but the immersive mode is an API from android, so if the app is coded for it, it'll work.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That looks great. One sticking point for me with Android in the past (I've only used iOS phones/tablets) was the look, especially the icons, and this looks so much better. Really tempted to pick up a Nexus 7, although I can't decide whether to get one now or wait for the refresh. Stuff like this is definitely pushing me towards picking up an Android tablet, anyway.

Zeppu

I don't have an M8, but the immersive mode is an API from android, so if the app is coded for it, it'll work.

Yeah that's what I think too. But in the MKBHD M8 review video Marques makes a big deal about how Sense apps change notification bar colour so I was wondering if they tampered with it.

Edit: To clarify it's not actually the immersive mode, but rather the translucent notification bar.

Zeppu

The translucent notification bar is just a subset of immersive mode:

imm-states.png

The app dev has to enable it, not many do. =/

I did on my app :D

Anyway, yeah I agree with you completely. I'm fairly certain it'll work on any kitkat device.

Edit: Yeah I confirmed that it works on KitKat on the M7. However instead of the gradient from black to transparent as on stock, it's a solid colour + alpha, to make it looks slightly darker.

terrier

it looks like 4.4.3 is almost here , according to sprint at least. Fingers crossed to see my exchange issues with my nexus 5 solved

Groof

I wonder if this would need a firmware update or they could update the icons with the Google now launcher?

Most of those could be updated through a regular Play Store update, but the People and Camera apps would likely require a firmware update, unless they too are placed on the Store.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Most of those could be updated through a regular Play Store update, but the People and Camera apps would likely require a firmware update, unless they too are placed on the Store.

To be clear, a store update of the individual app, not the GEL launcher. So Gmail would get an update for its icon, Calendar for its own icon and so forth. So we could get these icons on a drip basis rather than all at once.

Toki767

The camera can take amazing pictures...so it gets a 7.

The phone has an overwhelming amount of features and options...so that's a con.

Imagine what The Verge could do if they tried.

Esqueleto

Banned
I did on my app :D

Anyway, yeah I agree with you completely. I'm fairly certain it'll work on any kitkat device.

Edit: Yeah I confirmed that it works on KitKat on the M7. However instead of the gradient from black to transparent as on stock, it's a solid colour + alpha, to make it looks slightly darker.

Are you using the right theme?
TranslucentDecor is the alpha gradient and Translucent is the solid transparent bar.

Edit: Forgot to mention Translucent only works with fullscreen

Nicktendo86

But launchers like nova allow you to select icon packs and they usually cover most apps, why can't Google add that to gnl and update the icons?

I think tpyou are probably right though and that is the way they will go.

Groof

But launchers like nova allow you to select icon packs and they usually cover most apps, why can't Google add that to gnl and update the icons?

I think tpyou are probably right though and that is the way they will go.

Google and simplicity and all that jazz. Who knows if they'll ever do it, but if they do it'll be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom