• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

Sharing some 1080 x 1920 wallpapers I cropped, as I have nothing to do with them anymore. Look so good on the screen. Hard to find 1920 native vertical resolution, so most are stretched then cropped, but they look fine on 5" screens.

Nexus, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy, etc.

First two are my favourites (not too detailed so they don't get in the way).
wallpap8eysaz.jpg
wallpap2jts6v.jpg
wallpap8vsim.jpg
wallpap3dwsud.jpg
wallpap4jus1a.jpg
wallpap5ggsjk.jpg
wallpap7uosnn.jpg
wallpap11kosl9.jpg
wallpap1275sbp.jpg
wallpap1311s8s.jpg
wallpap9jlsmc.jpg
wallpap142xs31.jpg
Alternate

mantidor

So I'm in the look out for a tablet and I'm surprised they somehow seemed underpowered vs their cellphones counterparts, am I mistaken? I basically want an S4 in tablet form, does such thing exist?

So I'm in the look out for a tablet and I'm surprised they somehow seemed underpowered vs their cellphones counterparts, am I mistaken? I basically want an S4 in tablet form, does such thing exist?

GS4 has a Snapdragon 600, several tablets have variants of that, like the 2013 Nexus 7 and the LG G Pad 8.4

Xyber

The battery life on the GS5 is way better than I'm used to on my iPhone 4S. I'm not going to have any problems making this last a full day with more normal usage and not messing with launchers and stuff for a few hours. Nice to finally have some options when it comes to customization too.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Use quote tags when you are posting large pictures so they don't take up the whole screen.

tino

Banned
Quick question, does anyone know which new Verizon Android phone are GSM unlocked off the bat like the iPhone 5s/5c?

HKnightz

The battery life on the GS5 is way better than I'm used to on my iPhone 4S. I'm not going to have any problems making this last a full day with more normal usage and not messing with launchers and stuff for a few hours. Nice to finally have some options when it comes to customization too.

Can you provide screen time please? Thanks!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sharing some 1080 x 1920 wallpapers I cropped, as I have nothing to do with them anymore. Look so good on the screen. Hard to find 1920 native vertical resolution, so most are stretched then cropped, but they look fine on 5" screens.

First two are my favourites (not too detailed so they don't get in the way). Alternate

These are awesome.

mantidor

GS4 has a Snapdragon 600, several tablets have variants of that, like the 2013 Nexus 7 and the LG G Pad 8.4

Oh I see, so I guess a Nexus 10 would be an M8 in tablet form, or am I again way off base?

I really feel old now because not so many years ago you just needed the CPU speed to know what was better and what was worst, and I can't help to use that as my measure stick even when I know I'm wrong :(

psylah

Torn between a GS5 and an HTC One M8.

From what I've read, the M8 functions more smoothly than the GS5, probably due to TouchWiz getting all up in your shit,

The processors are mildly different, and the cameras take wildly different approaches, but either one is a huge step up from my GS2-s i727 I've been keeping alive.

psylah

Oh I see, so I guess a Nexus 10 would be an M8 in tablet form, or am I again way off base?

I really feel old now because not so many years ago you just needed the CPU speed to know what was better and what was worst, and I can't help to use that as my measure stick even when I know I'm wrong :(

They are very similar, from what I've read the M8's 801 chipset has slightly faster memory clock speed than the Nexus 10's 800. They use the same GPU, as well.

thenexus6

These are awesome, I took a couple for my N5. Where you get these?

this_guy

Just picked up an LG G Flex off of craigslist for $300. The phone is bigger than what I would normally prefer, but the battery life should be worth it. I'm coming from an iPhone 5s so they're on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to size.

kehs

Banned
Well yeah, everyone is taking advantage of Google.

The OHA alliance turned out to stand for Overrun Homely Android alliance it seems.

Emitan

I doubt it's an Android issue but I thought I'd ask. For some reason I'm not getting SMS messages from certain people. Most people can text me fine but 2 people so far can't send any messages to me and I have no idea why. They're using the right phone number. They can call me, but not text!?

Probably will go to an AT&T store or something and try to sort it out.

Xyber

Because it's ugly. Feels good to hold but still ugly. The large bezels and metallic rim don't help it much

While I agree that the rim isn't doing the phone any favors, I still wouldn't call the phone ugly. It certainly doesn't have a premium look to it, but in person the white one looks pretty good. And I'm one of the people who really didn't think it looked good when it was first revealed, those photos did not do the phone any favors.

But this is just my personal opinion and if someone thinks the phone is ugly I can't argue with that. But if anyone is thinking of buying the phone, check it out in a store first before deciding you don't want it because of the design.

So I messed around a bit in the music player and enabled the Adapt Sound feature, have to say that worked pretty good and did indeed make the music sound a little better with the earbuds. Is this a Samsung thing or just an Android setting?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I doubt it's an Android issue but I thought I'd ask. For some reason I'm not getting SMS messages from certain people. Most people can text me fine but 2 people so far can't send any messages to me and I have no idea why. They're using the right phone number. They can call me, but not text!?

Probably will go to an AT&T store or something and try to sort it out.

Do they have iphones?

leng jai

Yep. Don't get why people think it's ugly

The design is uninspired and has been for years. The plastic they use is awful and the phone has always felt flimsy. You really have a hard time "getting" why people think it's ugly next to the M8, iPhone 5 and Z2?

Coming from the HTC One M7, I have to say I'm really loving the S5. The screen is a noticeable upgrade, and I love how it adapts when reading e-books, it makes it much easier on the eyes. More usable screen real estate is great too. The look and feel of it is much nicer in person.

IMO, this phone feels like a more functional tool, it is easier to hold and the power button on the side is logical. Charging it is super quick, as well as transferring files, thanks to USB 3.0. Made short work of transferring all of my photos. The camera is super nice, much better than the M7. Super impressed with it already.

All in all, I am very happy I made the jump. The design isn't as nice as the M8, but man, that phone is slippery as all hell, and if the M7 is anything to go by, using it while lying in bed is going to be a huge feat! The M8 is also much taller and not having physical navigation buttons was a mistake, as it reduces the amount of screen you will see during browsing and using apps. It's nice to have the eye candy though. I've ordered a Spigen Neo Hybrid case in an attempt to beautify the S5 a bit. Really like the design of that case.

cjkeats

Yeah I still have the phone.

Turn it on make sure you have a connection (wifi should work,but might as well pop your sim back in) and go onto settings-> messages and turn iMessage off. Send a few test messages and make sure they're green. Then go back to the s5 and try it. That should work.

Emitan

Turn it on make sure you have a connection (wifi should work,but might as well pop your sim back in) and go onto settings-> messages and turn iMessage off. Send a few test messages and make sure they're green. Then go back to the s5 and try it. That should work.

I'll test this when my mom comes home. Hopefully it'll work.

Thinking about getting a Nexus 5...seems like the best off contract deal to me, at least in the sub $500 range.

Just a bit concerned about the battery life, since that seems to be people's main concern with the phone. I've never owned a smartphone, so I'm not sure how much I would need in terms of battery on a given day.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thinking about getting a Nexus 5...seems like the best off contract deal to me, at least in the sub $500 range.

Just a bit concerned about the battery life, since that seems to be people's main concern with the phone. I've never owned a smartphone, so I'm not sure how much I would need in terms of battery on a given day.

Nexus 5 is the best deal but the cheapest that's still good is a Moto G.

Emitan

lol I got a text from my mom a few minutes after doing this, I guess it worked

Ragus

Banned
I have few backups made with CWM. In recovery mode, my phone sees them with no problems, but when I use any file explorer, backup folder is empty. What is happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom