• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriitV

Ha, just compared out of the box s5 with an used n7 2013 and the nexus felt like it was about 2 times as smooth as the s5, what the heck samsung

Toki767

Why wouldn't you trust them?

And I don't mean why do you disagree, I specifically mean why don't you trust them.

Well I didn't mean to single out The Verge especially. Generally I don't trust any reviews. I read them and watch the videos but until I actually get to play with one in person, I'd never say any review is entirely accurate.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
From the app thread:

I don't know if I posted about it before but I suspect I have. My favorite password manager is Dashlane. It took me awhile to find a nice app that synced and worked with my Android stuff and OSX. If you want to try it out, PM me for a six month premium invite.

I'm about to renew my subscription. Before I do so, does anyone have any other password manager suggestions? Syncing and the app being nice is a necessity.

Well I didn't mean to single out The Verge especially. Generally I don't trust any reviews. I read them and watch the videos but until I actually get to play with one in person, I'd never say any review is entirely accurate.

I see where you are coming from. Reviews tend to be subjective, but as a jumping off point they are necessary to sort the wheat from the chaff.

A world without reviews would be a challenging place.

From the app thread:

I don't know if I posted about it before but I suspect I have. My favorite password manager is Dashlane. It took me awhile to find a nice app that synced and worked with my Android stuff and OSX. If you want to try it out, PM me for a six month premium invite.

I'm about to renew my subscription. Before I do so, does anyone have any other password manager suggestions? Syncing and the app being nice is a necessity.

I use Safe In Cloud. An OSX version is in development, but it's currently only available for iOS, Windows and Android. Great app though. (And has a chrome extension)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I use Safe In Cloud. An OSX version is in development, but it's currently only available for iOS, Windows and Android. Great app though. (And has a chrome extension)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.safeincloud

App is ugly. It doesn't use its own syncing. Passwords only, no payment/contact details. No auto login via browser. At least it's cheap. Dashlane is $30 a year. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider it. $30 a year is fairly outrageous.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.safeincloud

App is ugly. It doesn't use its own syncing. Passwords only, no payment/contact details. No auto login via browser. At least it's cheap. Dashlane is $30 a year. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider it. $30 a year is fairly outrageous.

Ugly? Lolwut. Nope. Yes, it doesn't use its own syncing but I'm not entirely sure why that's an issue (especially as that's probably why other apps require an expensive subscription). You can create custom cards for non password information.

I'm sorry, but it's definitely not ugly. AJ you mad.

Cipherr

The camera can take amazing pictures...so it gets a 7.

The phone has an overwhelming amount of features and options...so that's a con.

Imagine what The Verge could do if they tried.

IMO you have a point with the camera only. They do bloat their software, thats a negative to a point. They pile far to much crap on the phone out of the box, and they deserve to be called on it. If you want to make a million nearly useless situational apps, do so, but put them on the Playstore and let people download if they WANT it. Don't load 4GB of garbage onto the device out of the box.

But the camera takes great photos, every review site agrees. And its really no worse at low light than any other flagship, but it got RAPED in the camera score for low light alone. Thats extremely inconsistent with how they grade other phones, but I sort of saw it coming. They gave it to Samsung last year pretty hard for the plastic, everyone saw it coming this year if they made their phone with anything other than aluminum.

They will score them lower next year if its plastic again. Its going to be a slide unless Samsung changes their materials.

Toki767

I did mess around with a M8 at Best Buy the other day. It felt really fast and Knock On worked great on it. My only problem was you couldn't double tap to turn the screen off.

3phemeral

3phemeral

You're looking at the wrong green.

I am?

vyYQcGS.png

Doopliss

I'm confused, it says the record was previously held by the iPhone 5s and was broken by the M8, yet the graph shows both the Z1C and the Note 3 being slightly more responsive than the 5S.
They just mean it was the best when they last did a comparison. It's a poorly worded throwaway comment so they can link to their old blog post.

leng jai

Oh you said Z1C. I guess they're just implying that the 5S was the fastest when it launched. Would love to see the numbers for the S5 and Z2.

Almost every review site indicates the new plastic on the GS5 is great. No it's not metal, but neither are 90% of other phones, but they're fine. But cuz you know they're Samsung and we like to shit on them.

Oh you said Z1C. I guess they're just implying that the 5S was the fastest when it launched. Would love to see the numbers for the S5 and Z2.

so it was the fastest when it launched then 5 days later the note 3 dropped and...

Almost every review site indicates the new plastic on the GS5 is great. No it's not metal, but neither are 90% of other phones, but they're fine. But cuz you know they're Samsung and we like to shit on them.
the SamStic clause.

Quasar

Even if you won't use it too much throughout the day, you will have to charge it at least once a day or it won't last the second day.

Nexus 5 should be enough for most people throughout a work/school day unless you literally use it all the time.

I continue to wonder about that, battery life. My first smartphone was a Nexus 4 (and it still is my phone) and whilst in general battery life is fine, I had to give up on playing Ingress (which I enjoyed) simply because the battery life hit made it unusable in terms of battery life.

Tommy DJ

Its not great but its much better than the glossy garbage that was on the S4. I think that's the point that most people like Anandtech are making. Its an extremely expensive phone yet Samsung's build choices are still uninspiring compared to the competition. That fake chrome is the absolute devil and it looks even worse in person.

When something costs north of $800 AUD, you'd probably want to compare its build to other phones around its price range (eg. HTC One, Xperia Z2, iPhone 5s) instead of phones like the Moto G. It certainly handles and feels worse than the new HTC One, which actually feels really good in the hand since tap to wake seems to work so you don't have to deal with that stupidly placed lock button. Despite the changes, the S5 still feels and looks cheaper than Nokia's budget phones which are 1/4 the price.

I actually prefer plastic but that's because I'm uncoordinated and drop things all the time. Its easy just to get a new replaceable back if it gets scratched and (hopefully) keep its resell value. But, while it feels alright, it can still be built better and its still aesthetically challenged compared to the competition.

leng jai

Played with the One M8 today. Phone looks way uglier than the original One IMO. Sense 6 looks preeeeeetty good though. I like it.

Wouldn't say way uglier but it's not a definitive upgrade in looks. It looks better in some ways and regresses in others. It's slightly more comfortable to hold than the M7. Tried one properly today and the screen really I'd snappy. Makes my M7 feel sluggish in comparison. I think I'm in love.

I feel so incredibly stupid and illiterate using the HTC One M8. I've been on iOS for 6 years and i've never felt so lost with a device before. Right off the bat the first thing I noticed was basically every word I typed into the messaging app would be underlined red as incorrect spelling, words like "just", "and", or "my", i'd add them to the dictionary and type them back to back and they'd continue to be marked incorrect. I've disabled every language except english (us) so I don't know what the hell is going on there.

I used the HTC sync manager software on my Mac to try and move my old iPhone data over and when it got to my text message data it basically took an hour and thirty minutes to move to 50%, so I just canceled that.

I have a massive collection of music and this HTC sync manager seems to require me to click every single artist individually in order to move them over to my device, I can't for the life of me find a "select all" button on this software.

I've heard that I should be able to drag and drop my music into a folder, but when I try to do that on my Mac it wont let me, and when I dig around in the settings on the M8 I can't find anything that'll let me open it up.

Have I gone iStupid or is this thing a little messy? There's practically no instructions for this thing...

Esqueleto

Banned
I feel so incredibly stupid and illiterate using the HTC One M8. I've been on iOS for 6 years and i've never felt so lost with a device before. Right off the bat the first thing I noticed was basically every word I typed into the messaging app would be underlined red as incorrect spelling, words like "just", "and", or "my", i'd add them to the dictionary and type them back to back and they'd continue to be marked incorrect. I've disabled every language except english (us) so I don't know what the hell is going on there.
Have you looked at the spell checker settings. You can set different languages for the spell checker and the keyboard(It's set to system language by default).

I used the HTC sync manager software on my Mac to try and move my old iPhone data over and when it got to my text message data it basically took an hour and thirty minutes to move to 50%, so I just canceled that.
Oem software tends to be shit. I'm sure there's an app that should let you export your text messages.
I have a massive collection of music and this HTC sync manager seems to require me to click every single artist individually in order to move them over to my device, I can't for the life of me find a "select all" button on this software.

I've heard that I should be able to drag and drop my music into a folder, but when I try to do that on my Mac it wont let me, and when I dig around in the settings on the M8 I can't find anything that'll let me open it up.

Have I gone iStupid or is this thing a little messy? There's practically no instructions for this thing...
Yeah you can drag and drop, but since android uses mtp, you need to use Android File Transfer. I don't own a mac but I would hope google's own software would work . Or you could use airdroid but that might be slower.

MattDoza

What kind of in ear headphones is everyone using? Left bud on my stock M7 headphones just gave out. Wire cutter champions some Panasonic set but my sister has a pair and I don't care for them. Flat cable design is also so much better. So bummed that they went out. Didn't even last a year. :/

What kind of in ear headphones is everyone using? Left bud on my stock M7 headphones just gave out. Wire cutter champions some Panasonic set but my sister has a pair and I don't care for them. Flat cable design is also so much better. So bummed that they went out. Didn't even last a year. :/

Klipsch has some very nice in-ears for ~50-60 dollars that give you the sound quality of 200 dollar headphones. Can't go wrong with them.

Some Best Buys carry them in store too, I believe.

Have you looked at the spell checker settings. You can set different languages for the spell checker and the keyboard(It's set to system language by default).
!! Changing it from system language to English did it! I was raging so hard about this, thank you!

Yeah you can drag and drop, but since android uses mtp, you need to use Android File Transfer. I don't own a mac but I would hope google's own software would work . Or you could use airdroid but that might be slower.

Ah I see! I did eventually find the Mounting USB option but no matter what I tried I couldn't seem to get it to work. No wonder.

reKon

Banned

Those Panasonic are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn and they sound good

popeutlal

Is there a browser that has easy access to bookmarks? Dolphin used to be great, swipe from left...all the bookmarks are there, the latest update removes that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom