• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwanatu T

Cool I'll check those out.

Are there any new releases in the upcoming months that would be worth waiting for?

Sub 5"? Moto X+1 might be, don't know what they're going to do with the size (there's rumors of multiple sizes). LG G3 Mini might be worthwhile if they don't ruin the specs, it's supposed to be a 4.7" version of the G3. If Sony ever gets their act together and releases the phone the Z2 Compact is another winner.

reKon

Banned
Sub 5"? Moto X+1 might be, don't know what they're going to do with the size (there's rumors of multiple sizes). LG G3 Mini might be worthwhile if they don't ruin the specs, it's supposed to be a 4.7" version of the G3. If Sony ever gets their act together and releases the phone the Z2 Compact is another winner.

Oh wow if that's true about the G3 and don't skimp out, that will be a potential for me

VoxPop

I think the g3 mini was already confirmed with 720p screen and 8mp shooter. And I don't think Verizon will get any of those phones except the flagship G3 and Moto X

I'm gonna be in the market for a new droid next month and I'm on verizon. Any recommendations on a <5" phone? I definitely want something top of the line, my razr maxx has been pretty great for me (coming up on 2 years with it next month).

Is there a Nexus 5 model which works on Verizon? Cos that's 4.95". Failing that it's gotta be the Moto X.

Fatalah

Nice to see the outpouring of Moto X love lately. The phone has always received high praise, but it took a while for the Android layman to accept its awesomeness.

I played around with the HTC One M8 and the S5 this week, and I would never stray that far from stock Android.

Long live a Google-enlightened Motorola!

Avixph

Are any of you going to smash your phone to try and be one of the 100 people to be able to purchase the OnePlus One?
It would suck if you smash your phone and don't win an entry.

MattDoza

Are any of you going to smash your phone to try and be one of the 100 people to be able to purchase the OnePlus One?
I have a few old phones that I'd sacrifice, but no way am I smashing my M7.

terrier

iPhone 5S is the only worthwhile sub 5" device.

There is some news of the HTC One M8 Mini for Verizon though.

there's a wide of devices below 5 inches, from new phones and flagships to last year devices that can be found at very good prices:

Xperia Z1 Compact 4.3'' 720p Snapdragon 800 2GB ram
Moto X 4,7'' 720p s4pro dual core 2GB ram
Moto G 4,5'' 720p snapdragon 400 1GB ram
LG Optimus G 4.7'' 720p s4pro quadcore 2GB ram
Xperia SP 4.6'' 720p s4pro dual core 1GB ram

for example

While smartphone screen sizes appear to be closing the gap between the mobile phone and tablet, larger handheld devices are further advancing screen technology and Japan Display is looking to add 4K to the mix. The company has announced a new 10.1-inch IPS LCD display with a "4K2K" resolution (3840 x 2160). This would provide a super high-definition experience for tablet owners with a pixel density of 438ppi, comparable to premium smartphones.

http://www.androidcentral.com/japan-display-ships-first-samples-4k-101-inch-tablet-lcds

Gwanatu T

I won't smash my Note 3, but I would smash my wife's Nexus 4 for one!

Furyous

Is it me or is the best quarter ever to be in the market for a smartphone?

Outside of the traditional flagships in the market then there's the oneplusone that undercuts both Nexus and iphone:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/OnePlus-One-vs-Galaxy-S5-vs-One-M8-specs-comparison_id55451

Then there's the Find 7 and Find 7a:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/OPPO-Find-7a_id8590

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/OPPO-Find-7_id8351

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EcyOMJSpHAA

Even the Nubia X6 looks great with a Snapdragon 801, dual 13 megapixel cameras, 3 GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage AND a microsd slot that supports 128 GB cards.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/ZTE-Nubia-X6_id8515

I want all these phones but they're too big for me. I need something:
in the 4.3 to 4.7 inch range
runs KitKat
has at least 64 GB of storage in the form of combined flash and sd slot
326 or above PPI (my eyes are too advanced for that prehistoric shit)
An HD screen
At least 2 GB of RAM (hopefully 3 GB) because the phone is with me for at least 26 months

Either way it's a great time to be in the market for a smartphone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this year has sequels to:
The Moto X
The Moto G
The G2
The Nexus 5
The HTC One Max

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong or not, but since Verizon is supposedly moving to VoLTE next year (or at least trying to do a full roll out of it), does VoLTE allow for what like AT&T and T-Mobile and other GSM companies can do, basically use most unlocked phones? I ask because I know it's GSM/SIM card based. Or will it still be regulated and locked down like the current CDMA chipset?

Fatalah

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong or not, but since Verizon is supposedly moving to VoLTE next year (or at least trying to do a full roll out of it), does VoLTE allow for what like AT&T and T-Mobile and other GSM companies can do, basically use most unlocked phones? I ask because I know it's GSM/SIM card based. Or will it still be regulated and locked down like the current CDMA chipset?

I'm curious about this too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Depends on Verizon's band - they use 700mhz already, but not the 700mhz At&t and other GSM companies use. So it could be the case of them being open, but no phones actually using their band.

jokkir

cCnzBDG.jpg

Twitter is going backwards with another redesign

reKon

Banned
I don't want to see another fucking 5+ inch phone unless it comes close to these dimensions:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sharp_aquos_xx_304sh_with_a_52_fhd_display_hits_japan-news-8362.php

These manufacturers piss me off with their stupidity. Keep your Phone and Phablet lines separate. Phones should be focusing on comfort, usability in terms of handling, use, and media/information consumption. Phablets should focus on bringing that tablet-lite experience that can still technically fit in an average pocket focusing on power.

The HTC One and S5 have both failed miserably. They are just big phones and if the next years model has another screen size increase, the dimensions could be approaching phablet size, completely disregarding the comfort of using a phone with one hand as it's a PHONE.

This is exactly how I feel: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/22/i-hate-todays-smartphones/

I don't want to see another fucking 5+ inch phone unless it comes close to these dimensions:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sharp_aquos_xx_304sh_with_a_52_fhd_display_hits_japan-news-8362.php

These manufacturers piss me off with their stupidity. Keep your Phone and Phablet lines separate. Phones should be focusing on comfort, usability in terms of handling, use, and media/information consumption. Phablets should focus on bringing that tablet-lite experience that can still technically fit in an average pocket focusing on power.

The HTC One and S5 have both failed miserably. They are just big phones and if the next years model has another screen size increase, the dimensions could be approaching phablet size, completely disregarding the comfort of using a phone with one hand as it's a PHONE.

This is exactly how I feel: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/22/i-hate-todays-smartphones/

fucking amen. Nexus 5 is the biggest I'd go personally and it's still kind of pushing it for me. All phones should aspire to moto x size/screen ratio.

If Apple can do it with iphone 6 I'm probably outy. (until nexus 6 -> repeat cycle).

Yup. TBH, even the Nexus 5 was feeling too big for me when I still had it. The Moto X and iPhone 5S are seriously the only two phones I'd really even consider using now. I have absolutely no interest in ever getting an S5, One M8, Z1, Z2, etc.

Also, I have to say after having used my friend's Z1, its design is retarded as hell. Making a phone that big square-shaped is so god damn stupid. The thing is gigantic and not comfortable in any way.

Gwanatu T

That's frickin gorgeous. As a person that loves a big screen phone, I'd love one that doesn't feel like a massive device too. Granted I don't mind shifting and stuff, I've gotten used to it after having all 3 Galaxy Note devices, but smaller frame is a better experience every time, I just don't want to lose the screen retail that 5.5"+ gives me.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, you're not kidding about Fenix. That is super nice. And has everything I need, like Copy Tweet, and switching between the two RT styles on the fly.

Goodbye, Falcon Pro!
Yeah, it's really awesome. Definitely worth it. I was big on Falcon Pro until they had that token issue. I've tried Falcon, Tweedle and Carbon. After Falcon, Tweedle was my favourite, but Fenix is better than all the ones mentioned here.

The official app being dead last. It's mad garbage.

mil6es

Ok just switched from iPhone 5 to an M8 Welcome me Android-Gaf!!!

First Android phone, its been all Apple up till now so a bit at odds with it so far.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Ok just switched from iPhone 5 to an M8 Welcome me Android-Gaf!!!

First Android phone, its been all Apple up till now so a bit at odds with it so far.

Please give it a fair shake. Too many people give up after a day or two because it doesn't work like iOS (thank Christ) and go back. Let us know if you have any questions or want some tips.

mil6es

Please give it a fair shake. Too many people give up after a day or two because it doesn't work like iOS (thank Christ) and go back. Let us know if you have any questions or want some tips.

damn you just described my experience so far, I actually got it on Tuesday but when I got it home it was to foreign to me and ended up popping my sim back into my i5 the next morning and kept on using that for the last couple of days.

i've just been trying to get used to it and setting it up to a point where I feel happy with the sim out.

Stupid I know

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
damn you just described my experience so far, I actually got it on Tuesday but when I got it home it was to foreign to me and ended up popping my sim back into my i5 the next morning and kept on using that for the last couple of days.

i've just been trying to get used to it and setting it up to a point where I feel happy with the sim out.

Stupid I know

Why get a new phone if you expect it to work exactly like the old one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom