• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
they should just warn iPhone users not to leave the Apple ecosystem.

Sigh.... I don't really get your logic on this and I never have. You've always taken the position that if you're considering an i device you should get an i device.

I have 3 direct family relations who switched away from the iPhone and have no intention of going back. There will always be some who regret changing, but equally there will be those who benefit.

And to avoid any accusations of fanboyism i'd say the same the other way around too. Human beings have complex needs and wants and it's not as simple as "considering an idevice, get an idevice, or considering an Android device, get an Android device". There's a lot of questioning of needs required before you can advise the best fit for any person.

Rootbeer

Banned
Something that really irritates me about android is how it likes to open apps within other apps. Not sure if there is a term for it (i'm sure there must be :p)

Example... if I open chrome and click an instagram link... suddenly chrome 'becomes' instagram. if I open the drawer i no longer see chrome... i only see instagram. want to open a new chrome tab? well, gotta 'back out' of instagram first... bleh

this gets really annoying when you are dealing with lots of different apps... i wish I could just force every app to be its own process... is there a way to do that

Something that really irritates me about android is how it likes to open apps within other apps. Not sure if there is a term for it (i'm sure there must be :p)

Example... if I open chrome and click an instagram link... suddenly chrome 'becomes' instagram. if I open the drawer i no longer see chrome... i only see instagram

this gets really annoying when you are dealing with lots of different apps... i wish I could just force every app to be its own process... is there a way to do that

Intents are awesome (that's the technical phrase for what you're describing) and are a key feature of Android and definitely shouldn't go.

But yes in the multitasking menu it does need to seperate the processes so that Chrome doesn't become Instagram etc. That would help.

zbeeb

Example... if I open chrome and click an instagram link... suddenly chrome 'becomes' instagram. if I open the drawer i no longer see chrome... i only see instagram. want to open a new chrome tab? well, gotta 'back out' of instagram first... bleh

This is actually an issue with the development of the app, not an issue with android. If I remember correctly, the developers of chrome have set this up incorrectly, so it loads intents 'within chrome' instead of showing it as a seperate app.

Poor form really, makes for a frustrating experience.

This is actually an issue with the development of the app, not an issue with android. If I remember correctly, the developers of chrome have set this up incorrectly, so it loads intents 'within chrome' instead of showing it as a seperate app.

FDxsfnf.jpg

This is how it looks. I'd like it to populate a separate instance of Instagram. And keep the Chrome multitask back as the original web page from which you launched the link.

Blackhead

Redarse

Can you give examples of apps that do it correctly? Otherwise I'm still chalking it up to a problem with both the app and the multitasking view.

Yet another feature that WebOS did it better with cards 5 years ago :/

zbeeb

Can you give examples of apps that do it correctly? Otherwise I'm still chalking it up to a problem with both the app and the multitasking view.

Yet another feature that WebOS did it better with cards 5 years ago :/

Open an external link in the facebook app, then hit the multitasking button. You'll see both facebook (with the correct screenshot) and chrome (or your browser of choice) with the link you just opened.

This also works in feedly and gmail as two other examples.

Blackhead

Redarse
Open an external link in the facebook app, then hit the multitasking button. You'll see both facebook (with the correct screenshot) and chrome (or your browser of choice) with the link you just opened.

This also works in feedly and gmail as two other examples.

Open an instagram link from feedly or gmail

zbeeb

Open an instagram link from feedly or gmail

I don't have one handy, but I'll assume it shows the problem you're having? Then its an issue with the instagram app (not chrome), I got the problem the wrong way around.

The way instagram is handling intents is what's causing the issue here.

EDIT: just as an added note, I don't know why this behaviour is an option in the first place, it really should just default to opening as a new instance of the app, not inside the existing app.

PaulLFC

This has always annoyed me too. If they just made each app open as a separate entry in the multitasking view this problem would go away. I wonder if they'll ever fix it? I don't hold out much hope, given how long it's been happening for.

kehs

Banned
I don't have one handy, but I'll assume it shows the problem you're having? Then its an issue with the instagram app (not chrome), I got the problem the wrong way around.

The way instagram is handling intents is what's causing the issue here.

EDIT: just as an added note, I don't know why this behaviour is an option in the first place, it really should just default to opening as a new instance of the app, not inside the existing app.

I think it has to do with the back stack. If they separate the instances, then hitting the back button would take you home instead of taking you back to where you were.

Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. Sharing a picture to hangouts does this as well.

Silentium

On the intents/stack discussion, here is the Google developer article explaining how the system works http://developer.android.com/guide/components/tasks-and-back-stack.html

I think the key point is that each of the multi-task entries is viewed as a 'stack' of previous actions - rather than as a link to a specific application.

I can totally understand the complaints with the system, but I think that an activity-based structure (opposed to an application-based on) does have some merit, and it at least helps one understand how Android operates.

zbeeb

On the intents/stack discussion, here is the Google developer article explaining how the system works http://developer.android.com/guide/components/tasks-and-back-stack.html

I think the key point is that each of the multi-task entries is viewed as a 'stack' of previous actions - rather than as a link to a specific application.

I can totally understand the complaints with the system, but I think that an activity-based structure (opposed to an application-based on) does have some merit, and it at least helps one understand how Android operates.

Ahh thanks, that has exactly what I was referring to:

Using Intent flags

When starting an activity, you can modify the default association of an activity to its task by including flags in the intent that you deliver to startActivity(). The flags you can use to modify the default behavior are:

FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK
Start the activity in a new task. If a task is already running for the activity you are now starting, that task is brought to the foreground with its last state restored and the activity receives the new intent in onNewIntent().
This produces the same behavior as the "singleTask" launchMode value, discussed in the previous section.

FLAG_ACTIVITY_SINGLE_TOP
If the activity being started is the current activity (at the top of the back stack), then the existing instance receives a call to onNewIntent(), instead of creating a new instance of the activity.
This produces the same behavior as the "singleTop" launchMode value, discussed in the previous section.

FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TOP
If the activity being started is already running in the current task, then instead of launching a new instance of that activity, all of the other activities on top of it are destroyed and this intent is delivered to the resumed instance of the activity (now on top), through onNewIntent()).
There is no value for the launchMode attribute that produces this behavior.

FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TOP is most often used in conjunction with FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK. When used together, these flags are a way of locating an existing activity in another task and putting it in a position where it can respond to the intent.

Instagram is calling FLAG_ACTIVITY_SINGLE_TOP instead of FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK, hence it doesn't appear as a new instance.

Agreed the back stack provides some logic as to why it's done this way, but its still confusing to the end user in many cases.

SimleuqiR

Still doesn't natively support using Voice numbers for SMS. =/

Not that it's TOO bad since there is a workaround, but still. Annoying.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...hints-of-google-voice-smsmms-backup-and-more/

Google Voice
First, and perhaps most exciting, there are tons of tidbits related to Google Voice. The integration, from the code we have, looks to include SMS, phone, and voicemail functionality, with some pretty interesting bonus features tossed in. Before we look at it, it's important to note that the code present so far is very sparse. It's possible that Voice integration is being worked on in a separate branch, but for whatever reason a few tidbits were already added to the public release.

First, the visuals. The building avatar would act as a placeholder for businesses, while the tape icons would be voicemail indicators. The Google Voice launcher icon is also included for reasons that are unclear.

It's also unclear for now just how the integration will work interface-wise, but there are loads of strings pointing to what will be possible. It's clear that users will have the option to "migrate" Voice to Hangouts, choose to use Voice for SMS, choose to see voicemail notifications in Hangouts, and perhaps place phonecalls from Hangouts using Voice.

There is more at the link. We will hopefully be getting SMS and MMS back up to the cloud too.

this_guy

Every solution I've found on Google has been useless but I figured I'd ask here: anyone know of a surefire cure for the iPhone imessage bug? Since switching to an S5 from a 4G last week I've been unable unable to receive texts from anyone who previously texted me from an iPhone. I manages to get it to work for one person by tediously deleting, readding, deleting, readding my contact for almost an hour.

The easiest way is to go into your iPhone Settings -> Message settings and turn off iMessage before swapping sim cards or changing phones. If you can't do that then you can also try this after the fact:

Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
Click on "edit products"
Click on the "x" to the right of the product.
Click "unregister"

Groof

Toki767

How long did LG have to develop that skin? It's like they waited until Samsung revealed the new Touchwiz skin to make the icons.

1440p resolution though. Want it.

Talon

Those buttons in the notification shade sure look familiar.

The people in Sony phone threads are so hilarious to me. A constant reminder of the deleterious effects of rabid fanboyism of a once-great/now-faded brand.

I know it's normal for a phone to get hot when playing a graphically intensive game. But MAN does my Nexus 5 get hot when playing Anomaly 2. Does having a case on while your phone gets hot a bad thing? Just wondering if it insulates the heat too much. I've got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid case.

Toki767

I would actually be concerned with the G3 being a 5.5" 1440p screen with still only a 3000mAH battery. Would've thought they'd up it to 3200 or 3500.

reKon

Banned
I would actually be concerned with the G3 being a 5.5" 1440p screen with still only a 3000mAH battery. Would've thought they'd up it to 3200 or 3500.

I wouldn't because we've already seen how much more efficient the Snapdragon 801 processors are based on the battery tests with the HTC One and S5. If LG create a more efficient display (which they seem to get better at every year), battery life should be comparable to other flag ships.

Groof

If they can keep a similar battery life to the G2 all will be swell. I'm actually looking at the G3 as a contender for my upgrade this year, even though I most likely will end up getting the next Nexus.

snacknuts

we all knew her
My Verizon G2 finally got KitKat last week. After the update, the emoji in Hangouts changes to the stock icons instead of the Google emoji. Any way to fix that?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 by Verizon and I have a lot of memory used up in .Face and .Thumbnail folders. What are these documents? Are they safe to remove?

looks the samesung

The people in Sony phone threads are so hilarious to me. A constant reminder of the deleterious effects of rabid fanboyism of a once-great/now-faded brand.

indeed, SonyDroids are worstDroids. worse than SamSheep, worse than PureGooglers, worse than the Senseless.

belvedere

Junior Butler

If you think that's bad, checkout the M8 vs S5 thread.

Toki767

I'm thinking the G probably stands for Google Now. LG typically patterns their home screen launcher after Google. They had the transparent status and navigation bars on their homescreen before it got added to Kit Kat. They actually probably added them because it was part of Kit Kat.

Groof

I'm thinking the G probably stands for Google Now. LG typically patterns their home screen launcher after Google. They had the transparent status and navigation bars on their homescreen before it got added to Kit Kat. They actually probably added them because it was part of Kit Kat.

We’ve heard rumors about the G3 coming with some form of advanced personalization tool. According to our sources, it will be part of a new “concierge” service, though that’s not its final name. The “concierge” will collect information from various sources and observe how you use the phone, then provide recommendations based on all that data. It sounds like Google Now, but we’ve been told it will go beyond Google’s system.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-g3-homescreen-screenshots-leak-exclusive/

Groof

Isn't what they're talking about the thing under the weather though? I guess I can see them making their own Google Now type thing. I wonder how easy it is for them to build on top of Google Now rather than do something new entirely.

Could be that the weather widget is linked to the concierge thing they're talking about, which will be located at the far left, aka the G.
Considering everyone and their mother is doing some sort of Google Now/voice assistant type thing it wouldn't surprise me if they did their own from scratch as well.

leng jai

Got my new M8 setup the way I like it. Looks like there's still no way to use Nova and get Blinkfeed which is a bit of a shame.

Not really getting the people complaining about the LED light. It's significantly easier to see than on my old M7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom