• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mil6es

Why get a new phone if you expect it to work exactly like the old one?

Whoa slow down there, I think you jumped the shark a bit. I never said I expected it to work, look or function like my old phone did I? I just said I needed time to get used to it, thats time I didn't have as I had work in the morning. so instead of fumbling about with settings and trying to familiarise on the fly at work, I went with what I know and decided to do all the "bonding" in my own time at home.
This is my first Android device outside of a brief stint with a N7 so do you expect me to learn the ropes in one night?

thespot84

Whoa slow down there, I think you jumped the shark a bit. I never said I expected it to work, look or function like my old phone did I? I just said I needed time to get used to it, thats time I didn't have as I had work in the morning. so instead of fumbling about with settings and trying to familiarise on the fly at work, I went with what I know and decided to do all the "bonding" in my own time at home.
This is my first Android device outside of a brief stint with a N7 so do you expect me to learn the ropes in one night?

yes. If you're not rooted and have not yet installed 3 different ROMs by sundown you will be kicked from the AndroidGAF community posthaste.

If I were to buy a phone off contract, like the Nexus 5 or one of those nice Chinese phones, would it be possible to sell my current, still on contract phone? Would I have to call my carrier's customer service to do so; is such a thing even possible?

If I were to buy a phone off contract, like the Nexus 5 or one of those nice Chinese phones, would it be possible to sell my current, still on contract phone? Would I have to call my carrier's customer service to do so; is such a thing even possible?

As long as it aint cdma you good.

wilflare

Wow, you're not kidding about Fenix. That is super nice. And has everything I need, like Copy Tweet, and switching between the two RT styles on the fly.

Goodbye, Falcon Pro!

It's shitty. I switched to Fenix.

Yeah, it's really awesome. Definitely worth it. I was big on Falcon Pro until they had that token issue. I've tried Falcon, Tweedle and Carbon. After Falcon, Tweedle was my favourite, but Fenix is better than all the ones mentioned here.

The official app being dead last. It's mad garbage.

How is Fenix with real time notifications? That's like the only reason I use the official app.

hmm no one tried Talon?
I'm loving it which is why I have yet to tried Fenix

Blackhead

Redarse

-PXG-

Cross posting. A little LTTP

I had to change my wallpaper since it's NSFW (I got banned last time lol). Here is how it's done.

CM 11 + Apex Launcher Pro + Lumos icons + Widget Locker

Pcqhjqw.jpg

oyLIZyu.jpg

WpFjI4R.jpg

gSD7cRl.jpg

Specs

0jzL2Uh.jpg

I have had my phone setup like this for a while.

Oh, I really hope CM 11S comes out for all other devices besides the Oneplus One.

MattDoza

Has anyone posted about Cerberus being free yet? If not, it's free for 30hrs. 28 I suppose, now.

Note: Free to new accounts. If you've started a trial, I don't think it works. But worth a shot, I suppose.

-PXG-

^We have the same wallpaper lol...

Your home screen looks awesome. Is Nova/apex launcher difficult to figure out?

My regular wallpaper is NSFW. I picked something random as place holder to avoid trouble, again.

It's easy. Just a lot of features. Apex has more functionality than Nova. But I hear claims that Nova is smoother but I'm not sure if that's true. Your ROM, kernel and available RAM all have an effect on performance.

leng jai

Does anyone know of a basic music widget that works properly with the Sense stock music app? Universal Music Widget is trash, Jack's Music Widget doesn't show cover art or all the background to be transparent. Basically I want what Retune has with the option to make the background transparent.

Blackhead

Redarse
If I understand you right, it does. it uses the Streaming API to get you all the notifications

Oops that's not what I mean. The official app can provide notifications of every tweet from selected accounts I'm following. I rarely open the official Twitter app actually; my reading, starring and occasional replies are done from the notification center. Does Talon/Fenix offer that as well?

sohois

Greetings Android thread,

Does anyone know how to avoid region restrictions on the Google Play store? Just tried to download the Sonic Racing app that went free, but apparently it's not available in my region.

I have a VPN on the phone, but it's not rooted. What are my options?

I've had my Nexus 5 for a few days. Anything super cool I should do with it? Any hidden features?
Looove this phone.
Also, everyone should download the tasks widget. It's SOO helpful.

reKon

Banned
Cross posting. A little LTTP

I had to change my wallpaper since it's NSFW (I got banned last time lol). Here is how it's done.

CM 11 + Apex Launcher Pro + Lumos icons + Widget Locker

I have had my phone setup like this for a while.

Oh, I really hope CM 11S comes out for all other devices besides the Oneplus One.

This is pretty hot. I think I'm going to buy that icon pack

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm trying to buy a Verizon LG G2 with a bad ESN (my screen is broken and can't be replaced, so I want to put the guts into a different phone with a good screen). I'm kind of surprised by how much they go for on ebay? Apart from the situation I just described, why would someone want to buy a phone with a bad ESN?

Rumor: Ok Google Everywhere modular actions and new navigation buttons coming to android/?

Dat on screen buttons flexibility

This rumor is a little more complicated than some of the others. Essentially, it appears that Google wants to put the "Ok Google" hotword and/or voice-based actions just about everywhere, with a focus on adding specialized actions for individual apps. This would mean that users could, for example, say "Ok Google" inside the photos app to open a voice box, which would then allow them to perform actions specific to the photo app like sharing, or perhaps starting up the editor.
Google is apparently exploring this idea with new navigation buttons, including a "Google" button that would replace the traditional home button. We'll discuss this further later in the post. Changing the way users access the home screen by implementing a new navigation bar will obviously be a major shift, but we'll explore how that may work in a future post.
Something very important to note right now, though, is that this interface will likely be part of the Google experience, and as such may not appear on non-Nexus/GPE devices. It's clear that Google is trying to build its own experience (with the Google Now launcher being one part) to differentiate its own vanilla Android experience from partners/competitors.
We also have reason to believe that, in some apps, Google is experimenting with functionality that would enable the "Ok Google" prompt to provide suggested actions instead of simply listening. For example, if you were having a conversation with someone in Gmail, the prompt may suggest replying to that person, or performing actions related to the message chain like finding a movie, looking up the hours of a restaurant mentioned in the conversation, etc. This functionality is probably further out, as it would likely require more build-out on Google's predictive/assistive technology, but simpler suggestions like composing an email or creating an appointment are already in exploration (we'll discuss that in a moment).

This is possibly a longshot, but figured I'd ask. Any diabetics in this thread? I'm looking for a decent diabetes app, and I haven't been a big fan of the ones I've tried so far.

Got an S5 today and I quite like it. I have a Note 3 as well and the OS here is definitely snappier. Menu key being replaced by recent apps key was a good move too, I think.

Interested to see how the battery stacks up.

Only thing is plugging in the charger is quite awkward. I feel like I'm gonna snap something inside if I don't do it correctly.

Got an S5 today and I quite like it. I have a Note 3 as well and the OS here is definitely snappier. Menu key being replaced by recent apps key was a good move too, I think.

Interested to see how the battery stacks up.

Only thing is plugging in the charger is quite awkward. I feel like I'm gonna snap something inside if I don't do it correctly.
My sister in law just got it and had the same complaint. It's weird that Samsung packs so many hardware and software features
into their phones, the most out of anyone, yet they leave Qi out.

Is the wireless charging adapter and backplate for sale yet?

I'm trying to buy a Verizon LG G2 with a bad ESN (my screen is broken and can't be replaced, so I want to put the guts into a different phone with a good screen). I'm kind of surprised by how much they go for on ebay? Apart from the situation I just described, why would someone want to buy a phone with a bad ESN?
well, i can't say specifically for the LG G2, but with Verizon and Sprint phones in general, some people use them on MVNOs and some people clone a good ESN from a different device onto the device with a bad ESN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom