• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Oh man, I am positively hyped for the new Nexus 7. Looks absolutely great!

Now to wait a year before it becomes available worldwide.

edit: oh god it does the crt shut off now yessssssssssssss

The thing is that it never used to do that prior to the update which I found weird. I hadn't used it since I bought PowerAmp but the new interface is really slick and has got me using it again.

I use Poweramp for my local music but I stream using Google Play Music. Poweramp is really great for my local music, I don't even let Google Play Music see my local music anymore because I put a .nomedia file in my Music directory on my SD card.

gcubed

It would be ideal if chromecast was just a miracast dongle with some added Google features (but it still allowed miracast by itself)

Not enough of an upgrade of the Nexus 7 tbh. I think the Tablet Z is still the best Android tablet available right now, but the N7.2 will give it serious competition, especially at that low price. :D

Protome

I think i'm pretty much 100% getting the Nexus 7 at this point. Although I have a question for you guys. I know that 7 inch tablets are not ideal for reading Magazines on, but if I were going to do it anyway which app would be best for it? Are the Google Play magazines good, or does Zinio or something else do it better?

JordanKZ

I think i'm pretty much 100% getting the Nexus 7 at this point. Although I have a question for you guys. I know that 7 inch tablets are not ideal for reading Magazines on, but if I were going to do it anyway which app would be best for it? Are the Google Play magazines good, or does Zinio or something else do it better?

Play Magazines is usually okay. Although they're basically unreadable on the N7 due to the screen resolution. Hopefully the new one should improve this dramatically. I love reading magazines but stopped buying them some time ago. I contemplated picking up a Nexus 10 just for this reason.

Groof

Don't know about magazines, but I read comics on my N7 all the time and I think it's great for that. At times I do wish I had a bigger screen though, especially for the prettier art, but it works great.

Then again I guess magazines contain a lot of tiny text, but I'd wager you have to zoom in on those either way.

Protome

Play Magazines is usually okay. Although they're basically unreadable on the N7 due to the screen resolution. Hopefully the new one should improve this dramatically. I love reading magazines but stopped buying them some time ago. I contemplated picking up a Nexus 10 just for this reason.

I'll try out the Play Magazines when I get my Nexus then, thanks :D

Don't know about magazines, but I read comics on my N7 all the time and I think it's great for that. At times I do wish I had a bigger screen though, especially for the prettier art, but it works great.

Then again I guess magazines contain a lot of tiny text, but I'd wager you have to zoom in on those either way.

Do you have any recommendations for Comic apps?

SimleuqiR

Looks like Chromecast will be unveiled today too as Android Police have a apk teardown of the new Google Music app which supports it.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...hack-for-sd-card-support-a-download-link-too/

Oh snap! SD card support is finally happening. You'll be able to store your music on the SD card instead of on internal storage... someday, at least. Not right now, because there is no link in the settings to activate this. You'll have to wait for another update to enable it.

Wait...what?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Oh snap! SD card support is finally happening. You'll be able to store your music on the SD card instead of on internal storage... someday, at least. Not right now, because there is no link in the settings to activate this. You'll have to wait for another update to enable it.

hnnnnnng
---------------------------------------------------
Also: FCC filings have the LG Optimus G Pro coming to Sprint/Verizon and the G2 coming to ATT

gcubed

I'd buy that

no shit, i'd buy it day one. Be able to miracast from my phone instead of a damn MHL cable, combined with the fact that I could have a full fledged Chrome browser on my TV that I dont need to have a keyboard sitting around to use. Let me watch espn, hbo go, netflix etc through the browser and ... i'm in heaven

Nicktendo86

no shit, i'd buy it day one. Be able to miracast from my phone instead of a damn MHL cable, combined with the fact that I could have a full fledged Chrome browser on my TV that I dont need to have a keyboard sitting around to use. Let me watch espn, hbo go, netflix etc through the browser and ... i'm in heaven

Pretty much what the Nexus Q should have been.

SimleuqiR

In regards to the N7² specs, me thinks this aligns with the rumors that KLP will be much more optimized to run on lower spec hardware. We already have read how 4.3 has made the N4 run much smoother and supposedly gives it better battery life.

Also, the official SD card support discovery might also hint at the above. Maybe using SD cards to boost older hardware's performance/capabilities?

Who knows, right? Exciting times.

Talon

Motion to move all pricing figures over to the Gumball economy?

I.E.: $100/(Euro Symbol Here)100/ = 400 Gumballs going by the standard $.25 for Gumball figure.

Mindwipe

So, is Miracast support a real rumor about the Chromecast, or just hopes and wishes?

The rumour I've heard is that it doesn't, or at least doesn't default to it (sorry).

I imagine one of the reasons why is because the current Nexus 7 doesn't have dual channel wifi, and therefore couldn't support such a dongle without turning off it's internet connection...

snacknuts

we all knew her
People expect a lot of Android stuff to be announced at this event. Isn't the August 1st supposed to be about Android as well, or just specifically Moto X?

Today is a Google event. August 1 is a Motorola event. If one of them were going to have an abundance of information about new stuff in Android, it would be today's.

Groof

When you guys buy ebooks with multiple versions, how do you choose which one to get? Price, publisher or something else?

Been aching to reread The Great Gatsby, but there's 3 different versions and no reviews I saw mention how the actual print is.

Protome

When you guys buy ebooks with multiple versions, how do you choose which one to get? Price, publisher or something else?

Been aching to reread The Great Gatsby, but there's 3 different versions and no reviews I saw mention how the actual print is.

I usually go with reviews, but I have no idea if the reviews don't mention anything. Worst you're going to experience is some formatting issues anyway, but looking up publishers isn't a bad shout.

Last time I had to do this was when I was buying the Sherlock Holmes collection. There are like a dozen versions on the Kindle shop, but I ended up settling on one because the reviews all mentioned it had good formatting, didn't have the bastardized Americanisation that some version had and had hyperlinked contents. Which is neat.

This just went live. Static Google logo only.

I have it open on my second monitor while I'm programming. I can just tell it's going to start blasting music or something when I least expect it...

Groof

I usually go with reviews, but I have no idea if the reviews don't mention anything. Worst you're going to experience is some formatting issues anyway, but looking up publishers isn't a bad shout.

Last time I had to do this was when I was buying the Sherlock Holmes collection. There are like a dozen versions on the Kindle shop, but I ended up settling on one because the reviews all mentioned it had good formatting, didn't have the bastardized Americanisation that some version had and had hyperlinked contents. Which is neat.

Ooh, can you link me to that collection? That sounds great.
And any service you recommend over the others? Figured I'd just go with Play Books.

Protome

Ooh, can you link me to that collection? That sounds great.
And any service you recommend over the others? Figured I'd just go with Play Books.

This is the one I ended up buying.

The customer reviews underneath are not for that version, it looks like something odd is going on with Amazon's review system because each version of the book has the same reviews under it now which was not the case when I picked it up a year ago.

I don't know about services, I use Amazon because I bought a Kindle.

Groof

This is the one I ended up buying.

The customer reviews underneath are not for that version, it looks like something odd is going on with Amazon's review system because each version of the book has the same reviews under it now which was not the case when I picked it up a year ago.

I don't know about services, I use Amazon because I bought a Kindle.

Yeah reviews on Play Books seem to be aggregated form some 3rd party source, so they're not really the most helpful.
Guess my next issue is to pick a service as well, hah.

Also this stream better start soon. Getting antsy in my pantsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom