• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

That Droid Maxx looks pretty awesome. Don't know why they went with the glossy back for the Droid Ultra. It really looks to be 99% stock - outside of the Verizon apps, widgets, and the quick settings toggle.
Screw all of this Moto talk!

Your boy Brett might be proposing to my GF here very soon!
Oh shit, real life!

solarus

Android And Me accurately described the X8 early this month: http://androidandme.com/2013/07/opinions/4-reasons-why-the-moto-x-will-live-up-to-the-hype/

"How smart is your smartphone? It can sync your bookmarks between Chrome on your desktop and Chrome on your phone, but only after you go through the setup process. Open a few apps, fumble around some menus and press some more buttons. Most of that you have to do every time you want your smartphone to do smart things. With the Moto X, not anymore.

Back in April, we told you how the Moto X will feature “creepy intelligence.” It’s going to know when you want to do things, before you even tell it. And if you do have to tell it, it will always be listening, ready for action. Earlier, we told you the Moto X would launch with a MSM8960pro. But that’s not all. There are actually going to be eight different “cores” making the Moto X a contextually aware information powerhouse.

They break down like this:

Four processors cores are dedicated to graphics. By taking this route, you’re going to see Android running smoother than ever before. Paired with stock Android, this thing is going to fly in the graphics department.

Two processors cores are dedicated to applications. Let the graphics processors focus on graphics, while two 1.7 GHz processors focus on apps.

One processor will be dedicated to language processing. The low-power language chip will focus on audio sensors, noise cancellation and speech recognition. This will allow the Moto X to use an always-on listening mode, but still retain sufficient battery life.

One processor will be dedicated to other contextual sensors. During his interview at All Things D11, Dennis Woodside said the Moto X would “anticipate” what you want to do with your phone. Hold it up like you’re going to take a picture, your camera will turn on. That’s what this processor is for.

No one else has a chip configuration like this. It’s exclusive to Motorola and is what will make this phone smarter than any other phone before it. Google has made it clear that Motorola is being given no special treatment, but it’s clear that Google is playing a role in the production of the Moto X. Google makes stock Android, with all the bare essentials. Google is going to make the Moto X will all the little things that they really want in a phone that don’t make it into stock Android for one reason or another. Think of Motorola’s products as getting the moonshot thinking approach. If anything were to kill Nexus, this would be it."
I want them to give moto special treatment damnit, get some real competition against samsung.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Also the Moto X is sounding real enticing and with the likelihood that it will be subsidized down on Verizon or even the ability to keep the device in perpetuity I may just invest.

My feeling is that it may not be subsidized with the Droid line coming out. So it may be available to buy outright, or subsidize a Droid instead.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
nilay patel ‏@reckless
I get the distinct feeling Moto was less than truthful about the Droid displays. This is not straight RGB
BP4n4aSCEAInX_J.jpg

Husker86

Like I said, Moto always uses junky displays. The X will likely use the same screen.

Galaxy S4 uses this type of PenTile I believe; it's the first PenTile screen I've had where I cannot tell (and I was a big complainer about the Galaxy Nexus screen).

Lower DPI on the Moto X might not be as forgiving though.

kehs

Banned
Lets be real here, the nexus s samoled screen is better than the htc one screen simply because of the deep blacks.

Talon

Moto. Why you gotta always do this?
Galaxy S4 uses this type of PenTile I believe; it's the first PenTile screen I've had where I cannot tell (and I was a big complainer about the Galaxy Nexus screen).

Anandtech had a big rant about this two episodes ago. "PenTile" is becoming short hand for any sort of subpixel arrangement that is not straight RGB. The S4 is using a different subpixel arrangement, but the pixel density is so high that you can't really tell so the bleed over isn't noticeable.

On a side note, Rdio kicks the living shit out of Spotify when it comes to the mobile apps. Not even close.

reKon

Banned
Pocket now have had a more in depth look at 4.3 on the nexus 4, my god the under the hood stuff sounds great. Nice performance boost but they say battery life is the biggest winner. I can't believe this is accurate but the bloke says his battery went from normal usage 4-6 hours to easily a day!!!!
http://pocketnow.com/2013/07/23/new-in-android-4-3

so long to fucking Sense then with T-Mobile Wifi calling...

I'm never going to get this before 4.3 will never reach the T-Mobile HTC One, unless MoDaco's instant rom switcher ends up working very well

Groof

Pocket now have had a more in depth look at 4.3 on the nexus 4, my god the under the hood stuff sounds great. Nice performance boost but they say battery life is the biggest winner. I can't believe this is accurate but the bloke says his battery went from normal usage 4-6 hours to easily a day!!!!

Oh god I want this in my face so bad.

I'm really excited to see what this does for the Nexus 7 as well. Hopefully it'll be greatly improved as well!

Doopliss

No, it's the same as the Note 2. The S4 has only two subpixels per pixel.

S4 is also 1080p, as you noted. It makes a big difference.

Lets be real here, the nexus s samoled screen is better than the htc one screen simply because of the deep blacks.

Deep blacks, but slightly off-colors for everything else.

That's ridiculous. However, how was he getting 4-6 hours a day before the update? Unless that's strictly referring to screen-on time, his phone was busted.

So is 4.3 getting released tomorrow ?

Announced tomorrow with a staggered roll out for the N4, I'm guessing.

Talon

And the Note 2 is the same resolution as the X but has a significantly larger screen. Is that display "junky" now?
Super AMOLED is what it is - it's a known quantity at this point. You'll have deep blacks but some saturation as well.

Also, funny how that Adobe RGB mode they touted with the S4 was eventually deprecated and (according to the actual display data that Anandtech looked into) is actually exactly the same as "Movie" mode.

Nicktendo86

Oh god I want this in my face so bad.

I'm really excited to see what this does for the Nexus 7 as well. Hopefully it'll be greatly improved as well!
Watch the video mate. Rotation lag on the camera is ALMOST gone as well, just a slight delay now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
how many cores does it have?

did you benchmark it?

congrats, good luck!

Going from single core to dual core!

We try and benchmark as much as possible. ;)

I'm gonna pm cyan to close this thread until we hear an answer.

iserious

I best get on this then!!!

That Droid Maxx looks pretty awesome. Don't know why they went with the glossy back for the Droid Ultra. It really looks to be 99% stock - outside of the Verizon apps, widgets, and the quick settings toggle.

Oh shit, real life!

Real life 4 life son!

What OS does she use?

She has a cheap Lenovo Win 7 laptop she bought for nursing school. Then she currently has a One X+.

Did you ask Google Now first?

Not yet. I haven't asked a magic eightball yet either. :p

You best Hangout that shit live yo

I could! I'd need more friends on G+ than like the 10 I currently have. I'm also not friends with any of you on there. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
She has a cheap Lenovo Win 7 laptop she bought for nursing school. Then she currently has a One X+.

Dump her ass until she switches to Ubuntu Gnome and a Nexus.
FuqnPhm.gif

Groof

Watch the video mate. Rotation lag on the camera is ALMOST gone as well, just a slight delay now.
Just finished watching it. Seems like they fixed it up from the leaked camera apk from a while back.
Looks so god damn good it's hard to believe. Now I really can't wait for tomorrow!!
I could! I'd need more friends on G+ than like the 10 I currently have. I'm also not friends with any of you on there. :p

Well then, get on the GAF G+ community and circle everyone up!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ubuntu Gnome sucks when you need compatibility with medical apps.

Pfft, those scrubs deserve to die if they need Windows software to live.
FuqnPhm.gif

Also remember the One X+ is the phone I got her for free from HTC. Totally free and no contract.

Free as in beer but not free as in freedom, unlike Nexus.
FuqnPhm.gif

I hope you two are very happy together. :)

Husker86

No, it's the same as the Note 2. The S4 has only two subpixels per pixel.

Wow, really? I actually thought the Note 2 was the first time I saw this different arrangement. Hmmm.

edit: Oh I see what you mean. I just assumed it followed into the S4. Good to know!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So when I posted about getting that Comcast speed boost earlier in the thread about a week ago, my new shit from them just arrived.

The rub is for most people in NA we always just got modems. My new shit appears to be an all in one modem + router. I didn't expect this. I guess I should switch to this, and then dump my netgear. I'm not totally sure though if it's really better or if the new shit from comcast will even let me use a 3rd party router now.

9352257791_9a22e3bd44_z.jpg

I'll post back once I got it hooked up with speed tests from my computer and my One X.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So when I posted about getting that Comcast speed boost earlier in the thread about a week ago, my new shit from them just arrived.

The rub is for most people in NA we always just got modems. My new shit appears to be an all in one modem + router. I didn't expect this. I guess I should switch to this, and then dump my netgear. I'm not totally sure though if it's really better or if the new shit from comcast will even let me use a 3rd party router now.

I'll post back once I got it hooked up with speed tests from my computer and my One X.

I have the same modem....same 'Xfinity' service. I just took a speed test:
2855800943.png

The speed is, average to be honest. I've noticed that it tends to slow down a bit during simultaneous downloads. It's a solid device, and I use it with my Linksys E3200 router.

Overall...it's average. I plan to switch it out with a 3rd party modem, since I don't want to pay $7 a month to Comcast for average speeds.
Edit: I took the speed test while streaming a podcast, and you might have a different speed tier, so YMMV

GatorBait

All these new phones being released is making me salivate for a new Nexus phone. I can't wait until November rolls around this year.

daoster

GODDAMN IT.

I check AP a couple hours later and BOOM More Moto X leaks.

COME ON MOTO X! <$350 on Verizon unsubsidized PLEASE!

gcubed

You can shut off the internal features on the modem. I wouldn't use the internal Wi-Fi, especially if you now see xfinitywifi. I built that back end, it sucks your Wi-Fi bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom