• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasawas

Chromecast is not available in your country.

Boo. On the plus side hopefully this will give it time for a) Twitch to update their app to support it which is my main interest, or b) bomb entirely and I'll save myself the £25 or whatever.

gcubed

Buying the chromecast when I get home. There any mention of smart TVs with a YT app being able to use it?

i dont think this really offers anything beyond what is on smart TV's today? (as far as the youtube app, as long as they have the "newer" youtube app that allows you to control it via your phone)

VoxPop

Just picked myself up a Chromecast to compliment my Apple TV. Pretty much impulse buy @ $35.

I'm just hoping there will be a way to stream my downloaded videos onto the TV via this thing.

Also love the Auto Turn on TV + Input feature

JB 4.3 sounds like garbage and doesn't really offer anything I would want/need. Might as well have been 4.2.3

gcubed

Just picked myself up a Chromecast to compliment my Apple TV. Pretty much impulse buy @ $35.

I'm just hoping there will be a way to stream my downloaded videos onto the TV via this thing.

Also love the Auto Turn on TV + Input feature

JB 4.3 sounds like garbage and doesn't really offer anything I would want/need. Might as well have been 4.2.3

watch the video through a chrome tab. Not the most elegant solution, but hopefully Plex can get this to work

kehs

Banned
damage control:.

Google TV Developers said:
With the exciting news about Chromecast we are getting a lot of questions mostly wondering if Google TV is dead.

No, in fact partners are continuing to launch new Google TV-enabled HDTVs and boxes. As we announced at I/O, we are working with partners to bring the latest experience of Android and Chrome to devices later this year. We believe there is ample room for both products to exist and succeed.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleTVDevelopers/posts/LC48x2EjrzK

VoxPop

False. It apparently improves the performance and battery life of the N4 tremendously. It's a nice stop gap until KLP.

Well the N4 battery isnt anything amazing to begin with. Still can't forgive Google for basically killing my original N7 with 4.2.2. What a shoddy update.

SimleuqiR

So much for that battery life bump.

Has Google ever touted better battery life with OS updates?

I don't think that page is any indication.

If there is a bump in battery life, it could be attributed to Bluetooth 4.0 and updated GPL support (better use of the phone's GPU?).

Futureman

Google Play Music doesn't work in IE at work anymore. I guess they just updated it or something. Say I have an old version of Flash :((((

Random but is anyone here good at app development on android? Or maybe just app development in general because maybe that would help too. PM me if yes, got a random question for you.

Google Play edition 4.3 "very soon".

They already fucked up lol.

but who will win!? Samsung or HTC?

Verizon LTE YESSS

all i gotta say is ... I CALLED IT!!!

Update: We've learned from Google that 3G service will work through HSPA on AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon users will be left out, however, as a CDMA radio isn't included — only an LTE one. That shouldn't be a huge issue for Verizon users though, as the carrier now has LTE coverage in over 500 markets.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/24/4553054/new-nexus-7-lte-att-verizon-tmobile-one-device

yep, LTE only on Verizon, no CDMA. all because of those spectrum rules that went into effect when Google bid *just enough* to make them go into effect.

Mindwipe

Seriously Google? You're Google. There is no excuse for this gradual roll out shit, especially for the relatively small amount of Nexus users out there and without even a way to override it.

Apple can do it to many many millions of devices in an evening, so can you.

there is no 'Verizon version'

that's the beauty of it all. there is one model and it supports LTE on AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon... and HSPA on AT&T and T-Mobile.
Oh, sweet. So it has to have the Euro bands.

And I can put in my Verizon LTE SIM for around the US. Awesome. I'm guessing no telephony, though. I wonder if I can use it as my main device via VoIP apps.

I just gotta say the new Google Maps with integrated navigation is pure shit. It stops whenever you do anything else on the phone and then crashes when you try to restart it.

Native Verizon LTE support is pretty sweet, but I tether my tablet to my phone when i need to get Internet access to my tablet anyways. My phone is always on me after all.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So in honor of Google Play Games launching today everyone recommend one game we should all try! I'll start

Hero Forge Beta

It's a multiplayer puzzle battle game where you match blocks in this 3d space to do different moves and conquer your opponent via depleting their life bar before they do the same to you!

It also has full integration with all of the new Google Play Games Services!

for $35, who here has not already pre-ordered the Chromecast? I've wasted more money on worse things... mine ships in august, i'm a bit late on the draw since I was at the Angel game with my company today.

additionally...

nice nexus 7, but maybe i'll wait for revision 3 since the OG holds up just fine for what i use it for (which at this point, with a Nexus 10, is pretty much nothing, or just flashing experimental ROMs). don't really know what else new i would do with it.

on to the Nexus 5? or are we waiting to see how big of a flop the Moto X will be first?

Vanillalite

In theory I'm thinking about waiting to see if we get a Nexus 10 refresh that doesn't suck (ie have kernel lock issues like the current model). I could easily see my self cave before then and just get the 7.

Don't forget this fall is suppose to be the Phablet war!

Also in the short short term I think everyone is waiting for Google to actually hit the button to start sending out OTAs.

for $35, who here has not already pre-ordered the Chromecast? I've wasted more money on worse things... mine ships in august, i'm a bit late on the draw since I was at the Angel game with my company today.

not me. i can see why other people like it but to me it's pointless. even with the 3 months of Netflix, that's $11 i can spend on chocolate...

Vanillalite

https://plus.google.com/+CyanogenMod/posts/8tNdWgg56zN

CyanogenMod
Shared publicly - 1:19 PM

It begins

plusblue.png

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

additionally...

nice nexus 7, but maybe i'll wait for revision 3 since the OG holds up just fine for what i use it for (which at this point, with a Nexus 10, is pretty much nothing, or just flashing experimental ROMs). don't really know what else new i would do with it.

on to the Nexus 5? or are we waiting to see how big of a flop the Moto X will be first?

Chromecast seems pretty lame until it can stream emulators and VLC tbh. Better off getting a SlimPort dongle and having full mirror for $5 less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom