• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chromecast seems pretty lame until it can stream emulators and VLC tbh. Better off getting a SlimPort dongle and having full mirror for $5 less.
It's for a different market. I don't like mirror solutions because then I have to keep my device with the screen on and with the media in focus. With Chromecast, I start a 15 minute YouTube video or a two hour Netflix movie and I retain use of my advice. Different uses.

It's for a different market. I don't like mirror solutions because then I have to keep my device with the screen on and with the media in focus. With Chromecast, I start a 15 minute YouTube video or a two hour Netflix movie and I retain use of my advice. Different uses.

but my TV already has Netflix and YouTube so if i want to do those, i can still use my phone already.

Got 4.3 installed on my N10 and it's a pretty noticeable improvement. Weird being on stock Android again but it'll do until Cyanogenmod merges.

tino

Banned
but my TV already has Netflix and YouTube so if i want to do those, i can still use my phone already.

The way I use this device, I will be playing blog page embed video most of the time. And half of the youtube video I don't download. The good youtube videos I download and play on my set top box.

I don't see any point to watch Netflix with it. My set top box and my TV both support Netflix. Both have ethernet connection and support my master remote. There is zero reason to watch Netflix on it.

Husker86

What TV do you have? My Samsung Smart TV is alright, but the Hulu app sucks (connectivity issues that have nothing to do with Hulu or my connection) and I have a feeling being able to throw something from my phone or laptop that I'm already using will be faster. I'm in the camp where it's effectively $11 for me so I decided to give it a shot. Might be fun for hotels and such too.

The netflix app on android already has the same functionality to scrub/pause/play/etc. Works with smart tvs and google tvs.
:eek: did not know

Oh, well. The Chromecast still seems to be the slickest implementation of all the video and audio services, and that counts for a lot. My dad has a state of the art Bravia, but navigating YouTube or Netflix suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Also, it'll be nice for when you have family or friends over and everyone can queue up songs or videos.

reKon

Banned
Holy shit, will I be able to play HBO GO in the chrome browser and stream this to my TV?

Also, will this work for any video I stream that's embedded?? Or will this be limited? This decides my purchase..

What TV do you have? My Samsung Smart TV is alright, but the Hulu app sucks (connectivity issues that have nothing to do with Hulu or my connection) and I have a feeling being able to throw something from my phone or laptop that I'm already using will be faster. I'm in the camp where it's effectively $11 for me so I decided to give it a shot. Might be fun for hotels and such too.

i have a Vizio E3D320VX and Netflix works fine and i already use my phone to fling Youtube links to it. the month i had of Hulu Plus worked fine too. Hulu Plus itself sucks, lol commercials

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wow, I didn't know anything about the HTC Butterfly S. Looks like a great phone, IMO and it packs a really big battery too. Bigger battery, SD card slot and a bigger screen!? Dayum, son.

Why don't they implement Multi-User/Restricted Profiles on phones? People ask to use my phone sometimes and I don't want them to have access to everything on the phone. Kids play with their parents phones, too, so the issues with tablets also exist on phones.

Why don't they implement Multi-User/Restricted Profiles on phones? People ask to use my phone sometimes and I don't want them to have access to everything on the phone. Kids play with their parents phones, too, so the issues with tablets also exist on phones.

only Google knows the answer to that...

http://developer.sonymobile.com/201...process-and-its-improvements-for-android-4-3/

Interesting blog from Sony.

Also, confirmation that the Xperia "Z Series" (Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet Z and Z Ultra) and Xperia SP will get 4.3 and tacit confirmation that the end 2012 line up is skipping 4.2 and will be brought to 4.3 directly.

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2013/07/25/on-android-jelly-bean-4-3/

"So, Sony’s Jelly Bean 4.2 upgrade for Xperia Z and Xperia ZL is well underway* – next up, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z will start receiving 4.2 from early August.

Yesterday you probably saw Google announce the next version of Jelly Bean (Android 4.3) – we’re already getting stuck in and can confirm we’ll make 4.3 available for: Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia SP and Xperia Z Ultra…

We’re also looking at uplifting some of our other devices running 4.1 direct to 4.3 – we’ll share more info / deets / timings when we can, so be sure to follow @SonyMobileNews for all the latest."

Edit: Just to confirm, a source of mine says they have 4.3 running almost flawlessly on the Xperia Z and ZL, but they are still working on adding their own apps and features, so that puts them at this stage "Adding Sony applications and features" which is just one step before certification and testing (a 4-6 week process according to my source). He says the 4.3 ETA for Z/ZL should be around 10-12 weeks from today, which will definitely before the next major update of Android is announced. He said their internal aim is to make Z/ZL the first OEM devices to get 4.3 and lose their reputation for being slow with updates. He also said the whole update process is being handled in Sweden this time, there will be absolutely zero involvement from Japan in software development for the 2013 and late 2012 line up after they fucked up the early 2012 updates.

Mindwipe

That's maybe misleading. It will play any video a Chrome browser will play. It just doesn't have app support yet.

Well, it's certainly possible for providers to break it using the DRM controls in Playready or Adobe Access, so not *any* video.

And I expect most to do so if they protect their streams.

That said, the mirroring component seems to look pretty janky atm.

Nicktendo86

Didn't see anyone else post it but PCWorld has prices and dates up for Nexus 7 in the UK.

£199.99 for the 16GB
£239.99 for the 32GB

They say release is 13/9/2013. I might have enough money to buy an Xperia Tablet Z by that point instead, my 100% definite purchase of the Nexus 7 is wavering.

I HOPE it will appear on the play store cheaper and earlier. The original model was deffo cheaper on the play store than a lot of shops, especially when it first came out. If not that is a big fail.

only Google knows the answer to that...
And only Google should know what is on our phones. Not friends or family who's phone battery died, or random strangers who ask to use your phone to make a quick call. Everyone has a phone these days, but i still get the occasional stranger asking to use my phone.

If you get a new phone, everyone wants to look at it. They get access to everything.

[/QUOTE]
Well, it's certainly possible for providers to break it using the DRM controls in Playready or Adobe Access, so not *any* video.

And I expect most to do so if they protect their streams.

That said, the mirroring component seems to look pretty janky atm.

I expect the usual suspects that break streaming on tv to break casting to tv. Google probably has the same expectations and thats why info is more sketchy on that front.

Would be nice to see OEMs get something done quick. Otherwise, they should just spend resources on the next update if it does indeed come out this fall. That's only 3-4 months away.

Final post on Xperia 4.3.

I've been forwarded a preliminary schedule. It is subject to change (and it probably will) and the final dates are dependent on testing.

Z, ZL - mid-end September
Tablet Z, ZR - mid October
SP, Z Ultra, "i1" - early November
T, TL, V - end November
TX - mid December

M, M Dual and L are being assessed right now for 4.3, my guess is that they will get it in early 2014 but they won't receive the next version of Android after that. Xperia C is an ODM devices and therefore does not have its software developed in house.

Again, this is a preliminary schedule and subject to change (delays). Don't hang your hats on it guys.

And only Google should know what is on our phones. Not freinds or family who's phone battery died, or random strangers who ask to use your phone to make a quick call. Everyone has a phone these days, but i still get the occasional stranger asking to use my phone.

If you get a new phone, everyone wants to look at it. They get access to everything.

friends and family already know not to mess with my stuff and if random strangers ask, i dial the number then give it to them. but yeah, there should be better options directly from Google.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So anyone in Android-GAF get 4.3 in OTA form for any of their Nexus devices yet? None of my friends or family have gotten it, but Android Central has an article up saying it's floating out there for the Nexus 4 already in terms of the actual OTA getting to people.

Can't wait to get 4.3 from the Android's always as ever super awesome CyanogenMod team!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just some news for those that haven't seen

1) Sammy is now producing those 3 gig RAM chips for mobile. Gotta get ready for that Note 3!

2) Sammy also is reportedly gearing up for a Nexus 10 refresh in the "near" future

3) Chromecast app is now available on the Play Store

4) Bunch of updates for Google stuff... New Play Store... New version of Google Hangouts... New API for Google Calendar so 3rd party stuff can push notifications

5) Apple asked for $30-$40 bones per device from Sammy to settle

6) Swiftkey added more support to sync stuff across devices in the cloud

SimleuqiR

Just some news for those that haven't seen

3) Chromecast app is now available on the Play Store

4) Bunch of updates for Google stuff... New Play Store... New version of Google Hangouts... New API for Google Calendar so 3rd party stuff can push notifications

6) Swiftkey added more support to sync stuff across devices in the cloud

3) Got the Chromecast - Ready for my dongle.
4) New Hangouts version? What's new? Still hasn't hit my device (Fuck you trickle down rollouts)
6) That's awesome!

Edit:

AP always with the scoop:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-slow-rollout-to-version-1-1-heres-whats-new/

Any way to update to 4.3 without wiping?

Can I take the factory image, extract system.img and boot.img and flash just those two via fastboot? Will that work?

SimleuqiR

Any way to update to 4.3 without wiping?

Can I take the factory image, extract system.img and boot.img and flash just those two via fastboot? Will that work?

No no. No factory image.

Get a copy of the OTA zip file and fallow these instructions:

http://m.androidauthority.com/nexus-4-android-4-2-2-ota-update-rolling-out-now-156097/

Make sure you are able to adb into the device.

Download the SDK, and move the folder "platform-tools" to a main directory (C:\) and command into it.

Update zip here: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-43-nexus-4-rolling-out-everywhere-here-s-download-link

reKon

Banned
Anyone have on them instructions on removing a ROM like CM 10.1 and reseting your nexus device to be able to get regular OTA updates?

I still have my Galaxy Nexus and I want to try out 4.3 on it.

HawkeyeIC

So where's KLP at? If we get a new Nexus 10 'soon', that would make it seem like maybe KLP is next year? Either that or else Google's planning on getting the Nexus 10 and 7 out each year before Apple's event, and will do the phone later in the year?

So where's KLP at? If we get a new Nexus 10 'soon', that would make it seem like maybe KLP is next year? Either that or else Google's planning on getting the Nexus 10 and 7 out each year before Apple's event, and will do the phone later in the year?

KLP is coming end of summer/this fall, with the Nexus 5.

kehs

Banned
Individual permissions controls is already inside of 4.3!

nexusae0_wm_2013-07-25-13.35.31_thumb.png

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ager-control-permissions-for-individual-apps/

Individual permissions controls is already inside of 4.3!

http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/nexusae0_wm_2013-07-25-13.35.31_thumb.png[/ IMG]

[url]http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/25/app-ops-android-4-3s-hidden-app-permission-manager-control-permissions-for-individual-apps/[/url][/QUOTE]

Megaton.

Fatalah

From people who have installed 4.3 on their Nexus 4 -- have you noticed the apparent bump in battery life?

Any other impressions?

SimleuqiR

From people who have installed 4.3 on their Nexus 4 -- have you noticed the apparent bump in battery life?

Any other impressions?

Mmmm...hard to say. I don't think I see any improvement.

3h 27m on battery and I'm already down to 87%
Granted I keep bluetooth on. Did some BT music streaming in my car (finally can see track and artist info) for about 20 minutes this morning.

Screen time? Only 12 minutes since this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom