• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

Get a Samsung high end phone and you will get the features google will get around to impliment in 2015.

And a Fisher Price coat of paint to boot!

Regarding the Hangout update:

"If you've confirmed your cell phone number with Hangouts and also have a Google Voice number associated with your phone, you'll see both in the settings menu."

Sounds like they are gearing up for SMS. In theory, you should be able to use both your phone #s (voice vs mobile) to send and receive SMS via Hangouts (I would hope)

Cheebo

Banned
Asus posted on their facebook the new Nexus 7 will not support USB OTG. :( Google's recent hatred of external storage is sad and very Apple like.

Asus posted on their facebook the new Nexus 7 will not support USB OTG. :( Google's recent hatred of external storage is sad and very Apple like.

"Hey Cheebo, did you know about our cool Google Drive service for your private files? And the Google Play Store offers all kinds of entertainment for your new Nexus device. It's time to live in the cloud."

tino

Banned

Thats really terrible. The OTG function affects nobody except the nichest group of geeks. Yet google just to go out of their way to kill it.

Almost as bad as killing google reader, almost.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And a Fisher Price coat of paint to boot!

Regarding the Hangout update:

Sounds like they are gearing up for SMS. In theory, you should be able to use both your phone #s (voice vs mobile) to send and receive SMS via Hangouts (I would hope)

Voice takes over your phone though. Why wouldn't you just use the Voice number? It's all I've ever used.

SimleuqiR

Voice takes over your phone though. Why wouldn't you just use the Voice number? It's all I've ever used.

Some people pay for SMS or something.

Ah, you guys are thinking too small or too big. Not everyone wants Voice to take over their entire phone services.

Well, I don't pay for SMS. But Google Voice has other great features other than free SMS. I have family members that use it primarily as a second phone/voice mail services - almost like a spam account. They use it for filling out forms or to filter calls from unwanted parties. They still use their regular mobile phone #s to text.

I have one family member that just uses it for international calling.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, you guys are thinking too small or too big. Not everyone wants Voice to take over their entire phone services.

Well, I don't pay for SMS. But Google Voice has other great features other than free SMS. I have family members that use it primarily as a second phone/voice mail services - almost like a spam account. They use it for filling out forms or to filter calls from unwanted parties. They still use their regular mobile phone #s to text.

Well those people are dumb.
FuqnPhm.gif
Good luck giving everyone your new number when you switch phones.

Toki767

I know almost no one that gives out their Google Voice number. I do use it for calling customer service stuff though.

Husker86

I have no idea what my mobile carrier number is. I've changed it like three times since I've gotten Google Voice. Why would I not have done that? It's so much more convenient.

The way Goog intended.

There is one thing stopping me from doing this...MMS. I have got most of the people I message to switch to Google Hangouts, but there will always be those rare people who I either don't talk to much or don't think about who will send a group message that I would be frustrated if I missed. Having said that, I'm about 90% of the way convincing myself to cancel my ripoff $20 text plan. At this point I'd almost be better off paying $0.20 a message...that's how little texts I use now.

ILoveBish

My chromecast will be here tomorrow and might be picking up a ouya for dirt cheap this weekend to put CM10 on. More android goodies to play with. Also where is my note 3.

Why doesn't asus make android phones? Seems like they know how to make good "values" like the moto x might be aiming for.

Phablet doesn't count.

Cyanogenmod updates:

All AOSP repositories have been merged into our Github and branched to "cm-10.2". Do not build it yet. There are a multitude of build errors that we are working through. We will put up another status update when everything has settled down.

No ETA.

The +Android Police podcast just announced Nemesis news is slated to hit their site tomorrow morning! Watch their site in the morning for your first glimpse at what Project Nemesis has in store.

So Nemesis isn't 10.2.

kehs

Banned
Why doesn't asus make android phones? Seems like they know how to make good "values" like the moto x might be aiming for.

Phablet doesn't count.

They don't play games with carriers in the US, they're phone(s) are typically only in asia and europe.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Has anyone else with a Nexus 4 not received the update to 4.3 yet? My phone is still saying 4.2.2 is up to date. Is there something else I should be doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom