• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather bloody frustrating. Timely updates is part of why I bought a nexus. Oh how different this is from ios updates.

this is Google's definition of timely.

Exactly. This is as good as it gets on Android. Had you bought a standard OEM device, you'd probably wait 4-12 months, if ever.

Now why anyone else hasn't figured out how the fuck Apple can push out their updates to all their devices, including carrier devices, on the same day, remains a fucking mystery.

Quasar

Exactly. This is as good as it gets on Android. Had you bought a standard OEM device, you'd probably wait 4-12 months, if ever.

Now why anyone else hasn't figured out how the fuck Apple can push out their updates to all their devices, including carrier devices, on the same day, remains a fucking mystery.

Which is why I'd never buy a non nexus Android device.

Now I can understand pushing out updates in a rolling fashion, but if I click on check for updates it should then request the update if there is one.

Which is why I'd never buy a non nexus Android device.

Now I can understand pushing out updates in a rolling fashion, but if I click on check for updates it should then request the update if there is one.
that defeats the purpose of rolling updates way too easily. you can do it manually if you really want...

that defeats the purpose of rolling updates way too easily. you can do it manually if you really want...

What if I really want Google to update my phone, but don't want to do it manually, because I'm not 16 anymore and have a real life with no time left for this shit?

How are those Google Edition S4 and HTC Ones going? Do they have 4.3 yet? lol

I've heard they're great devices, except that they're not real Nexus devices.

It's going to be a battle between the Play Store phones and the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

tzare

Final post on Xperia 4.3.

I've been forwarded a preliminary schedule. It is subject to change (and it probably will) and the final dates are dependent on testing.

Z, ZL - mid-end September
Tablet Z, ZR - mid October
SP, Z Ultra, "i1" - early November
T, TL, V - end November
TX - mid December

M, M Dual and L are being assessed right now for 4.3, my guess is that they will get it in early 2014 but they won't receive the next version of Android after that. Xperia C is an ODM devices and therefore does not have its software developed in house.

Again, this is a preliminary schedule and subject to change (delays). Don't hang your hats on it guys.

thanks!!!

So i understand that even T/TX/TL/V will also receive android 5.0 too?

The rumored Nexus 10 refresh could be amazing if it uses Exynos 5 Octa and you know if they fix the problems with the first-gen SoCs.

I wonder if I should feel bad for considering an Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (2013), judging by the problems previous Transformers have had.

tzare

I don't know. It's possible, but that's more a technical possibility just like my old sensation used to run 4.2.2 before I got the ZL.

thanks again! I think that it will depend on timing, more than technical issues (there were rumours that 5.0 would even run on 512MB ram devices). So if KLP is released this fall, there's still a chance that it will hit T, but if it delayed to 2014 i doubt it will be ported.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
nexusae0_image_thumb48.png

Hype get on the countdown to the CyanogenMod announcement.

Overall this has been a huge week for Android!!!

Nicktendo86

The rumored Nexus 10 refresh could be amazing if it uses Exynos 5 Octa and you know if they fix the problems with the first-gen SoCs.

I wonder if I should feel bad for considering an Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (2013), judging by the problems previous Transformers have had.

Eurgh, do not want. I've come to loath Sammy and their hardware, use a fucking snapdragon 800.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A comment on the G+ Post on CM Nemsis...

Jeremy Hansen 7 hours ago

While it surely won't live up to everyone's expectations (with some of the grandiose ideas out there, there is no way CM could meet everyone's expectations), I think the majority of users will be excited for this and will understand the reason for the teaser to build up anticipation. It is something that hasn't really been attempted in the custom ROM realm (at least as far as I know), at least not to the extent that CM is taking it.

I'm excited to see people's reactions and can't wait for the official announcement.

gcubed

i'm bored. 4.3 seems to have brought my old N7 back from the grave, so i'll hold off on the new one. The freaking chromekey is sold out everywhere. I got tired of waiting for Google so i went to BB yesterday afternoon and they laughed at me, told me it was sold out in minutes

reKon

Banned
i'm bored. 4.3 seems to have brought my old N7 back from the grave, so i'll hold off on the new one. The freaking chromekey is sold out everywhere. I got tired of waiting for Google so i went to BB yesterday afternoon and they laughed at me, told me it was sold out in minutes

Why would they laugh? I'd only understand if they had a lot in stock, but if they didn't then I don't see what the deal is

gcubed

gcubed, you got a GN, no? Did you update to 4.3?

i got a vzw GN, i haven't ventured into the toro compatible ROMs yet.

Why would they laugh? I'd only understand if they had a lot in stock, but if they didn't then I don't see what the deal is

they laughed at the fact that I was trying to get one in the afternoon, said i needed to be in way earlier to get one, they sold through them in a few minutes and had people coming in all day asking about them.

I really didn't think it would resonate that much in public, shocking that Google has a hit on their hands.

Zeppu

i got a vzw GN, i haven't ventured into the toro compatible ROMs yet.

Ah, I'm tempted to install the factory image because of the claimed battery and performance improvements but I reallllly don't feel like wiping. Yakju here. Come on Goog, mine was one of the first pre-orders on Handtec.

gcubed

Ah, I'm tempted to install the factory image because of the claimed battery and performance improvements but I reallllly don't feel like wiping. Yakju here. Come on Goog, mine was one of the first pre-orders on Handtec.

you aren't running stock? I just did the sideload on my N7... IMO it made it feel better, because I was ready to run out this morning and get a new N7. Not really chomping at the bit as much anymore

Zeppu

you aren't running stock? I just did the sideload on my N7... IMO it made it feel better, because I was ready to run out this morning and get a new N7. Not really chomping at the bit as much anymore

Pure stock. It was giving me trouble a while back and was going to return it so I locked the bootloader too. The problem sort of fixed itself and I never bothered unlocking the bootloader again. :(

gcubed

Pure stock. It was giving me trouble a while back and was going to return it so I locked the bootloader too. The problem sort of fixed itself and I never bothered unlocking the bootloader again. :(

you don't need an unlocked bootloader to sideload. Sideload that shit, takes 5 minutes

Doopliss

Cool. The loss of camera features has been one of he biggest downsides to AOSP-based ROMs. Though I'm really not going to expect much from any features they add involving image processing (such as PicSphere), having seen the quality of the software HDR mode they added to the current camera. I still think it's great that they're trying. Perhaps the publicity of having a new app will attract more devs to contribute.

Groof

you don't need an unlocked bootloader to sideload. Sideload that shit, takes 5 minutes

I lost patience waiting for the OTA like the impatient whore I am, so I decided to sideload 4.3 but I keep getting an error similar to this
Code:
Installing update
Warning: No file_contextsassert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop","ro.build.fingerprint") =="google/occam/mako:4.2.2/JDQ39/573038:user/release-keys" || 
file_getprop("/system/build.prop". "ro.build.fingerprint") = = "google/occam/mako:4.3/JWR66V/737497:user/release-keys"
Installation aborted

anybody can tell me whassup?

gcubed

I lost patience waiting for the OTA like the impatient whore I am, so I decided to sideload 4.3 but I keep getting an error similar to this
Code:
Installing update
Warning: No file_contextsassert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop","ro.build.fingerprint") =="google/occam/mako:4.2.2/JDQ39/573038:user/release-keys" || 
file_getprop("/system/build.prop". "ro.build.fingerprint") = = "google/occam/mako:4.3/JWR66V/737497:user/release-keys"
Installation aborted

anybody can tell me whassup?

I'm assuming your stock, you coming from the proper build to 4.3? You're putting this on a GSM version i'm assuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom