• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Hmm? The version in AOSP was published by Google. It's the final version of 4.3. A Google engineer mistakenly thought it was only for the N7, so he used the earlier build (the one we got) for the N4 factory image, according to XDA.
Oh fucking hell, seriously? This can't be right. Have you got a link to xda?

People really should get a sign made for them when Nvidia enters new markets:

"WARNING: Underestimating Nvidia may be hazardous to your health"

Errrr unless I am sorely mistaken the cortex A15 implementation in Tegra 4 is bog standard hence those performance levels Samsung should be able to match and it is drawing level with the adreno 330 on the GPU front whilst needing a fan and heatsink.

I would not declare an nvidia victory just yet.

Errrr unless I am sorely mistaken the cortex A15 implementation in Tegra 4 is bog standard hence those performance levels Samsung should be able to match and it is drawing level with the adreno 330 on the GPU front whilst needing a fan and heatsink.

I would not declare an nvidia victory just yet.

Is this english

I'm not sure, but last I checked the upcoming Asus Transformer Pad Infinity refresh won't have a fan in it, so I have no idea what he's on about. The obvious reason why the Shield has a fan is because your hands are around it and if it warmed up too much it would make you uncomfortable trying to play it. In other words, it's not because the T4 runs too hot as this guy implies, it's because Nvidia wants people to be able to play it without it making their hands hot and sweaty.

I'm not sure, but last I checked the upcoming Asus Transformer Pad Infinity refresh won't have a fan in it, so I have no idea what he's on about. The obvious reason why the Shield has a fan is because your hands are around it and if it warmed up too much it would make you uncomfortable trying to play it. In other words, it's not because the T4 runs too hot as this guy implies, it's because Nvidia wants people to be able to play it without it making their hands hot and sweaty.

But if it wouldn't run too hot, it wouldn't make their hands hot and sweaty, no? I mean, that seems very much the reason we haven't seen T4 in smartphones yet.

But if it wouldn't run too hot, it wouldn't make their hands hot and sweaty, no? I mean, that seems very much the reason we haven't seen T4 in smartphones yet.

A tablet is a large slab of plastic or metal. The SoC is not placed at an edge of the tablet, so it will warm some spot close to the center, away from your hands. This is why I doubt Asus is concerned about the T4's heat output on the new Infinity.

The Shield is, well, a controller with a T4 inside. The heat has nowhere to go where your hands aren't. Given enough time, the T4 would warm the Shield up somewhere that your hands touch because your hands cover a large part of the Shield's base. So, Nvidia puts a fan inside to actively push heat out.

And I think the reason we haven't seen T4 in smartphones yet is because of the battery life problem, not because of heat. Cortex-A15 is a notorious battery sucker, Samsung can get away with A15 in Exynos 5 Octa because of big.LITTLE and the A7 low-power cores, and because they keep the A15 cores clocked very low. Nvidia doesn't have that luxury on T4, because all the cores are A15 on T4.

And I think the reason we haven't seen T4 in smartphones yet is because of the battery life problem, not because of heat. Cortex-A15 is a notorious battery sucker, Samsung can get away with A15 in Exynos 5 Octa because of big.LITTLE and the A7 low-power cores, and because they keep the A15 cores clocked very low. Nvidia doesn't have that luxury on T4, because all the cores are A15 on T4.

Precisely what I was on about, performance does not me me go wow considering the power consumed. Maybe I am just a little bit out out of joint cos it looks like it will be difficult to get into smart phones.

CPU wise it looks to trounce the Snapdragon 800 but then falls down on power consumption and is level on GPU performance.

Totally missed the new transformer pad when's that hitting shelves?

kehs

Banned
So my moms nexus started boot looping this morning.

For no apparent reason. Should I just try flashing the stock rom over it? Luckily I gave her the phone with the bootloader unlocked so I can back up all the stuffs.

Groof

So my moms nexus started boot looping this morning.

For no apparent reason. Should I just try flashing the stock rom over it? Luckily I gave her the phone with the bootloader unlocked so I can back up all the stuffs.

Have you tried going into the recovery menu? Or just let it charge for a bit while it's off.

Oh fucking hell, seriously? This can't be right. Have you got a link to xda?

Sure, here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2382880

For the lazy, here are the important parts.

AOSP has a newer android revision - Android 4.3r2.1, build number JSS15J. This build is newer than 'stock' JWR66V, but is official, is made by Google, and is available for anyone to build from scratch, just like JWR66V. The differences are Google Apps, such as Google+, YouTube, Gmail, etc, which will not be included in an AOSP build, but could be downloaded from the store anyway. AOSP also has a different browser while 'stock' comes with Google Chrome. The system itself is still the same Android. If one decides to build Android from the older JWR66V revision, they will have the same system as someone else who flashed stock.

Why didn't Google release JSS15J as stock?
A Google employee mistakenly thought that JSS15J only has changes related exclusively to the new Nexus 7 device. He later apologized and acknowledged his mistake. JSS15J has an updated Nexus 4 kernel with dozens of GPU commits/improvements. Based on most recent information, Google is planning on releasing JSS15J factory images for the new Nexus 7 only, but not for the Nexus 4.

Which build is better?
Depending on who you ask. If newer is better, JSS15J is better. If factory images are better, JWR66V is better.

Which build should I use?
People who like factory images will stay with factory images. People who like the stock experience but care less about "factory images" could use a clean non-customized JSS15J build. In a way, JSS15J could be considered 'stock AOSP' if it's not customized. It's even more minimalistic than what comes with the factory images, because applications such as Google Keep/Earth/Maps and so on are not forced as system apps, and can be optionally installed from the store only if you want them.

Any other differences besides the updated kernel/GPU commits?
Most changes are under-the-hood. There was an updated network setting found in JSS15J that doesn't exist in JWR66V.

Ephemeris

Looks like the flash memory is dead.

#samsunged

HELLO FRIEND. DO YOU HAVE TIME TO TALK ABOUT THE MOTO X?

Incoming wall of text from Wimberly on G+

Random thoughts on the Moto X before the big unveiling tomorrow. Respond to any point using the number. Thanks for all the comments, +1s, and shares this last week. It's been fun hyping this device up.

1. I believe that 97% of the details surrounding the Moto X have already leaked, but I'm certain there are a couple surprises left. Any guesses?

2. I was never able to confirm the rumor that units had shipped to carrier stores. You would think that some rogue retail employee would have leaked a pic if there were boxes sitting in the back, but how did Best Buy keep the Chromecast stock a secret?

3. I still believe online pre-sales will start tomorrow. I'm told they will be sold at Motorola.com and not the Google Play store. The online configurator should offer more customization options that people are expecting.

4. Rumored pricing for Moto X off-contract has been anywhere from $199 to $599. I honestly don't know what the final price is, but Google has the ability to hit any price point they desire. I think a base price of $499 would disappoint, $399 would be a good value, $299 would make most people happy, and $199 would signal that Google is scared of Samsung.

5. Speaking of pricing, don't expect a big discount if you are buying a carrier locked version.

6. Props to Motorola for trying something new with the camera. They are the only ones using this new Clear Pixel camera, and it could be the best camera on any Android phone. Should have great low-light performance like the HTC One, more detail like the GS4, and video at 1080p 60 FPS.

7. Also glad to see Moto pick a display that offers the best picture and power consumption, instead of just going for highest-resolution. Moto is calling this the worlds first interactive LED display. It has uniform RGB sub-pixel arrangement (non-pentile).

8. Most underated feature could be Motorola Connect. Not much is known about this feature, but it's an app that connects the Moto X to the desktop Chrome browser (think Airdroid functionality). There might also be some new functionality for Chromecast.

9. In case you missed it, the rumored Motorola xWATCH has been shelved until a later date.

10. Moto X will probably lose out on a couple benchmark wars with the One/GS4 since it only has 2 CPU cores instead of 4, but the day-to-day performance will be comparable. All devices have the same Adreno 320 GPU, so gaming performance will also be the same.

11. I definitely contributed to building up the hype, but Moto did an excellent job of creating buzz for this launch. It will be really hard for the final product to live up to the hype we created, but it has a chance if they price it right.

12. Don't remember if this leaked, but Moto X has a SmartBoost Speaker with Smart Bass up to 3watts. Also does virtual 5.1 surround sound with headset.

13. Moto X features the same "stock Android" as seen on the new Droids, but with less carrier bloatware. There will be some Moto specific apps like the camera, and other widgets. Moto will promise faster Android upgrade cycles than other OEMs.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
3. I still believe online pre-sales will start tomorrow. I'm told they will be sold at Motorola.com and not the Google Play store. The online configurator should offer more customization options that people are expecting.

ugh motorola.com is a toilet

ugh, no play store no sale

That's definitely a big negative for me.

These are massive wins, though:

6. Props to Motorola for trying something new with the camera. They are the only ones using this new Clear Pixel camera, and it could be the best camera on any Android phone. Should have great low-light performance like the HTC One, more detail like the GS4, and video at 1080p 60 FPS.

7. Also glad to see Moto pick a display that offers the best picture and power consumption, instead of just going for highest-resolution. Moto is calling this the worlds first interactive LED display. It has uniform RGB sub-pixel arrangement (non-pentile).

If they knock it out of the park on price, I'm in. That means sub-$300 off-contract.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

LtNDbKz.png

13. Moto X features the same "stock Android" as seen on the new Droids, but with less carrier bloatware. There will be some Moto specific apps like the camera, and other widgets. Moto will promise faster Android upgrade cycles than other OEMs.

ZhUn5oY.png

jokkir

When Key Lime Pie finally gets revealed/released, what major design changes do you think/hope will happen?

Maybe they'll get out of the blue menus and go for a white and black theme instead? Transparency? What do you guys think?

northead

never bought a theme in my life. But that's ... tempting.

Even better on your phone.

When Key Lime Pie finally gets revealed/released, what major design changes do you think/hope will happen?

Maybe they'll get out of the blue menus and go for a white and black theme instead? Transparency? What do you guys think?

I really hope that Google will follow the Holo Light/Google Now Card UI design guidelines with 5.0.
More because of visual consistency than personal taste.

gcubed

more card UI consistency and a move to holo light from holo dark. Remove techno tron look.

tino

Banned
Even better on your phone.

I really hope that Google will follow the Holo Light/Google Now Card UI design guidelines with 5.0.
More because of visual consistency than personal taste.

I brought it.

It works well with an abstract wallpaper, but not so well with a picture wallpaper.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Galaxy S3 users on AT&T, I just checked the software update and downloaded 4.1.2.

Multi window is finally here.
Damn that did seem to take forever for you guys. Was ATT the last carrier to push the update? I can't even imagine how long it'll take for 4.2.

JordanKZ

Every major Android revision has looked completely different. I suspect it will happen again...!

Android 1.0

Android 2.0

Android 3.0 - URGHHH edition

Android 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom