• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yeah, except you can't have two devices activated at once. Which means they store all this info on their server until you activate your new device, possibly excluding wifi.

So moto will have access to all your media, contacts, etc. I'd love to read that privacy statement.

Edit: TiBu 4life

Who says it needs to be activated first? It can wifi transfer the stuff over and stay in a non active state until you activate it.

But I agree, TiBu is the way to go usually.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
FFLSxRu.jpg

Can you taste the Chromephone?
LtNDbKz.png

Leo Laporte has been touting this phone. He is under a NDA, but keeps telling people to hold off buying any new phones until you can see for yourself what the Moto X is about. He feels it will change the mobile landscape.

::shrugs::

He also implied that everyone attending the Meet Moto X party tonight would get free phones.

I hope he's right, since I'm going!

Yeah, except you can't have two devices activated at once. Which means they store all this info on their server until you activate your new device, possibly excluding wifi.

So moto will have access to all your media, contacts, etc. I'd love to read that privacy statement.

Edit: TiBu 4life

No you don't.

The HTC One can already do all of this and just requires Bluetooth turned on for both devices, not on a network.

tino

Banned
Not good enough. It either needs to be $299 MSRP/$0 on Contract for every US carrier including the prepaid and regional carriers or $199 MSRP (at most, $249) if there's minimal official carrier support. This is the US market; not the European or Asian markets. Motorola's main competitor isn't Samsung, it's Apple. Google already tried the $S300 priced handset and that didn't stop Apple making gains in US marketshare this year. Moreover, the 'cheap' iPhone is incoming this fall. Motorola doesn't have enough cool cachet in the US to go head to head with that, even with a $500 million ad budget. Google/Motorola needs to either go big or not bother.

Really, google should just lower the spec a little bit like lower the memory to 1.5G or offer an 8GB tier and sell it at 199. A game changer (like the Chromecast) request an entire different price point.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone else think Google Play Games would be extra cool if it had a Streetpass/Spotpass feature built in? You'd actually pass other people with Android phones a helluva lot more than other people with 3DSes ( though I've done pretty well on my 3DS all things considered).

What do you think GAF?!?!?!

PS: GoGo is now giving away a MacBook Air for getting 100k FB Followers. http://ptab.it/1alqw

Ephemeris

I heard it may be going on as we speak?

To clarify, I'll just quote:

Verge will have livestream from their offices at the same as MotoX event.
http://new.livestream.com/TheVerge/...0-1365ea156bd1134&acc_id=2092409&medium=email

There is no press conference, just small private press briefings. Those will not be streamed.

The Verge is simply doing a video show at 3pm, once the embargo lifts, from their studio where they talk about the device, and presumably show it off on camera.

Ephemeris

Old?

This went live.

Motorola Connect allows you to see text messages and calls coming into your Connect enabled phone on your computer’s Chrome browser. You can read and respond to texts using your keyboard and even know who’s calling before deciding if you should reach for your phone.
Motorola Connect is currently supported on Moto X, DROID ULTRA, DROID MAXX and DROID MINI.

ZxsObFJpC4_SRz1BOezXddYm2gTMeZA5JZoSh_MhX_vaDFHNAg3TdGq-yeIEk4plZC0ZbV9Atko=s640-h400-e365-rw

Chrome love is best love.

Does anyone have info on the Google+ Locations fix for custom ROMs? I tried making G+ a system app with Titanium Backup, but then the app doesn't start up: it only Force Closes, even after a restart.

kehs

Banned
Moto has out-Google Google. How come I can do this shit on my Nexus?

Edit;

And before anyone says "Google Voice"...have you seen the Google Voice app integration on Chrome? Shit's looks like it has not been update in 3 years.

Google/Moto Android brand is more important the setalallmyshitfromaosp brand now.

Ephemeris

Eric Schmidt
Shared publicly - 9:56 AM
I love the Moto X. Check it out - it’s the first Motorola device developed after the acquisition. It’s designed by you, it responds to you, and it’s the first smartphone assembled in the USA - ever. (Fort Worth, Texas, to be precise.)

Motorola has a new mandate to think big and take risks. A lot of people talk about innovation in mobile as if the big stuff has already happened. That’s a lack of imagination.

NH Apache

Banned
Who says it needs to be activated first? It can wifi transfer the stuff over and stay in a non active state until you activate it.

But I agree, TiBu is the way to go usually.

No you don't.

The HTC One can already do all of this and just requires Bluetooth turned on for both devices, not on a network.

Looks like wifi is how they do it. There was concern in the Android Police article that this would use data and possibly cap you out for the month.

But according to the leaked screenshot of the app, the phone isn't activated and is on a wifi network. Which works, obviously, but means that you must have a wifi to connect to for the app to function.

Bluetooth probably would have been the better way to go, if the proper profile is there.

Eric Schmidt
Shared publicly - 9:56 AM
I love the Moto X. Check it out - it’s the first Motorola device developed after the acquisition. It’s designed by you, it responds to you, and it’s the first smartphone assembled in the USA - ever. (Fort Worth, Texas, to be precise.)

Motorola has a new mandate to think big and take risks. A lot of people talk about innovation in mobile as if the big stuff has already happened. That’s a lack of imagination.
Damn it. I'm a terrible designer.

kehs

Banned
So my mom's Nexus S died a few days ago. So I started setting up my old Nexus 1 for her.

First it would send all the calls to voice mail. Now it doesn't even boot up. I think google is sending out kill code.

yyzjohn

Banned
Leo Laporte has been touting this phone. He is under a NDA, but keeps telling people to hold off buying any new phones until you can see for yourself what the Moto X is about. He feels it will change the mobile landscape.

::shrugs::

Laporte taking Google payola?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks like wifi is how they do it. There was concern in the Android Police article that this would use data and possibly cap you out for the month.

But according to the leaked screenshot of the app, the phone isn't activated and is on a wifi network. Which works, obviously, but means that you must have a wifi to connect to for the app to function.

Bluetooth probably would have been the better way to go, if the proper profile is there.

They can probably use a variety of methods. Wifi, Wifi Direct, Bluetooth. The point is that its not a cloud stored option.

daoster

Wait, looking at the Verge's website, are we sure that the Verge event going on @ 3:00 ET is really going to announce and show off the Moto X? Or is it gonna be just gonna be a collection of rumors and them discussing it and their impressions?

Because doesn't the actual Motorola event happen at 8:00 PM ET??

Wait, looking at the Verge's website, are we sure that the Verge event going on @ 3:00 ET is really going to announce and show off the Moto X? Or is it gonna be just gonna be a collection of rumors and them discussing it and their impressions?

Because doesn't the actual Motorola event happen at 8:00 PM ET??

3:00PM is when the embargo lifts. By then, the Verge will be able to talk about the press event, which happened already this morning, and show off the device if Motorola gave them one.

8:00PM is the launch party in NYC, which yours truly is attending and hoping to snag a phone or hands-on time. :)

daoster

3:00PM is when the embargo lifts. By then, the Verge will be able to talk about the press event, which happened already this morning, and show off the device if Motorola gave them one.

8:00PM is the launch party in NYC, which yours truly is attending and hoping to snag a phone or hands-on time. :)

Hype back on.

Let's get this party started in 1 hr!!!!

yyzjohn

Banned

I'm so confused. The event already happened?

AndyD

aka andydumi

The press event has happened. Now writers have time to prepare their articles for release at 3PM. Then tonight there is a launch party where real people were invited to play with the phones, and where they may or may not get a free phone.

There was never any public conference planned. Motorola is just showing the press the phone during private briefings throughout the day. At 3pm, the press embargo lifts, and sites will publish their stories about the phone and their hands-on time.

The Verge is just doing a live video show where they talk about the phone and, presumably, show it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom