• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the IR remote is similar to note 8.0, don't hope too much. From my experience it is pretty hit and miss. It works well with my Samsung TV, does not work with my samsung set top box and works but like crap with my denon receiver.
But you might be luckier than me.

i've already used the one on the GS4 and it works well enough.

there are 3rd party apps too that are programmable.

Just get a Logitech Harmony remote, they are a million times better than using phones anyways.

i always know where my phone is... remotes are a whole other problem.

markot

Banned
It's weird... My wiiu and one ir work bet on my tv with better range and everything than the remote that came with my tv...

I don't even have to point my wiiu at the tv...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Chinese Company makes an HTC like knock off with impressive specs.

Android Authority

Quad Core
2 gigs of RAM
1080p 5 inch screen
32 gigs of storage
13 MP front and back cameras

Roughly $280 with the current exchange rate...

THL-Monkey-King.jpg

Don't forget the absolutely stupid position of the power button. That alone prevents me from ever considering a One. So stupid.

Yet I've never had a single issue with it. What's stupid is not considering the best android on the market due to the position of a button.

Be ashamed.

jokkir

Anyone know of what I need to know and good resources to learn about Android Development other than XDA (because I'm already checking it)?

I have background in programming with C/C++ mostly (plus other languages) but I think I can learn Java fairly quickly. Do I need Linux as my main operating system? or can I just use Windows? Also, is Android Studio a good replacement for Eclipse yet? Though Android Studio is still in Alpha/Beta, I think

Thanks.

Zeppu

I learnt pretty much everything from the official documentation.

http://developer.android.com/guide/components/index.html

It's fairly easy to understand once you read it. Then start implementing whatever you need and start googling whatever specifics you may need.

I used IntelliJ idea 12 for my first couple of apps and I found it to be pretty good. Android Studio is based on that but I'm not sure how stable it is yet.

thespot84

What does the world of streaming music to speakers look like for Android?

Ideally I would want:

Something that can send my audio from any app (PocketCasts or a music streaming app) to my home speakers wirelessly, while also working with my girlfriends Windows Phone 8 phone and our iPads.

Sonos seems pretty useless if you're not in iOS land, would something like Libratone (http://www.libratone.com/learn/wireless-sound/) be the only viable solution (leaving behind my current speakers).

Also wasn't there talk about Google working on some sort of open-source alternative to AirPlay two years ago or so?

is there an HDMI input (i.e. the speakers are connected to a newish stereo receiver?) If so, grab a roku and throw plex on it.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Serious? All sources are saying this July.

hahah, I'm just messing around. It should be released sooner than latter. Although the spec rumors have been all over the pace. No one really knows. It should have been announced by now given that most products have a 1 year life span, but Google hasn't mentioned anything.

My guess is that if they are going to release it latter this month then they will announce it this week, maybe in some conference/press release with the new moto phone and 4.3. However, since we even haven't gotten any credible leaks or pictures, it might be released in August. I just hope their isn't any shipping delays or shortages. I wish they would just let me pre-order it already.

SaskBoy

hahah, I'm just messing around. It should be released sooner than latter. Although the spec rumors have been all over the pace. No one really knows. It should have been announced by now given that most products have a 1 year life span, but Google hasn't mentioned anything.

My guess is that if they are going to release it latter this month then they will announce it this week, maybe in some conference/press release with the new moto phone and 4.3. However, since we even haven't gotten any credible leaks or pictures, it might be released in August. I just hope their isn't any shipping delays or shortages. I wish they would just let me pre-order it already.

If it's available before September that would be great.

vdlow

Anyone know of what I need to know and good resources to learn about Android Development other than XDA (because I'm already checking it)?

I have background in programming with C/C++ mostly (plus other languages) but I think I can learn Java fairly quickly. Do I need Linux as my main operating system? or can I just use Windows? Also, is Android Studio a good replacement for Eclipse yet? Though Android Studio is still in Alpha/Beta, I think

Thanks.

When I was beginnig to learn about Android Development, I used the tutorials of this site: vogella.com

They're pretty great and well explained.

And the most important part, but this is not exclusive to Android Development, is become bff with StackOverflow.

VoxPop

The long history of HTC phones falling apart after the first few "honeymoon" months does not in any way suggest that HTC has better hardware quality.

Yeah, "bettter phone" with only 2 hardware buttons so working around it is a shitstorm and every button has a short press, a long press, and now a swipe up from bezel just because HTC design is retarded and can't decide whether to have a full complement of buttons or none. Either just have 3 hardware buttons like everyone else, or give it up and have none. Your stupid solution of 2 buttons is one of the dumbest things I've seen in phone buttons this year. Oh, and nice job with the power button on top where not even LeBron James could reach it with one hand.

Well, maybe the King could do it.

Lol? I got adjusted to the 2 hardware buttons within the first hour of use. If you have an IQ over 50, you shouldn't have an issue getting used to it. It is not a dealbreaker by any means.

Can't really comment on the hardware quality over time but so far it's been a joy to use since launch.

The actual build quality blows that fisher price plastic fake carbon fiber pattern gs4 out of the water. The solid aluminum finish and the all around looks had Samsung cronies shaking in their boots making propaganda on phone forums to downplay it.

The speakers are simply marvelous and I'm surprised more manufacturers don't place it on the front. The camera is awesome in low light situations and more than does the job in others. Zoes are amazing as well. I don't think I take any regular pictures anymore except when it's for Instagram.

Sense5 is the best skin on Android imo. Keeps mostly everything stock while improving the terrible Android typography and stuff most important like your gallery. Sure as hell better than that 9GB of bloat Gingerbread neon infested C-class iPhone imitation abomination that is Touchwiz.

The only thing Samsung has going for it is it's removable battery and SD card slot. The battery has been incredible on my One with ARHD installed. I don't personally carry large amounts of media on my phone so I can't say much about the SDcard support. Definitely gonna need it since Sammy takes half the phone space with garbage like scrolling through webpages with your face.

The difference in screen size is minute. If screen size is a big deal for you, I'd recommend just waiting for the new Xperia or the Note 3.

Man I love my Nexus 7's form factor and how comfortable it feels to grip and thumb type on but I almost feel like Google and app developers have given up on Android tablets.

I can deal with the blown up phone apps but as Chrome gets slower and slower, I notice the issues more and more. The facebook apps are complete garbage and gets me sad every time I use an iPad and see a nice high-res tablet UI. I'd get an iPad mini but the display looks like crap to me and there's no way I can go back to that. Especially if the new Nexus 7 ends up being 1920x1200.

Hilti92

TABLET GAF:
I would like to buy a tablet holder for my car. Any recommendations? I want something so it will be on the dash. It is a Nexus 7!

jokkir

I learnt pretty much everything from the official documentation.

http://developer.android.com/guide/components/index.html

It's fairly easy to understand once you read it. Then start implementing whatever you need and start googling whatever specifics you may need.

I used IntelliJ idea 12 for my first couple of apps and I found it to be pretty good. Android Studio is based on that but I'm not sure how stable it is yet.

When I was beginnig to learn about Android Development, I used the tutorials of this site: vogella.com

They're pretty great and well explained.

And the most important part, but this is not exclusive to Android Development, is become bff with StackOverflow.

Thanks, I'll check these out

Husker86

Lol? I got adjusted to the 2 hardware buttons within the first hour of use. If you have an IQ over 50, you shouldn't have an issue getting used to it. It is not a dealbreaker by any means.

Can't really comment on the hardware quality over time but so far it's been a joy to use since launch.

The actual build quality blows that fisher price plastic fake carbon fiber pattern gs4 out of the water. The solid aluminum finish and the all around looks had Samsung cronies shaking in their boots making propaganda on phone forums to downplay it.

The speakers are simply marvelous and I'm surprised more manufacturers don't place it on the front. The camera is awesome in low light situations and more than does the job in others. Zoes are amazing as well. I don't think I take any regular pictures anymore except when it's for Instagram.

Sense5 is the best skin on Android imo. Keeps mostly everything stock while improving the terrible Android typography and stuff most important like your gallery. Sure as hell better than that 9GB of bloat Gingerbread neon infested C-class iPhone imitation abomination that is Touchwiz.

The only thing Samsung has going for it is it's removable battery and SD card slot. The battery has been incredible on my One with ARHD installed. I don't personally carry large amounts of media on my phone so I can't say much about the SDcard support. Definitely gonna need it since Sammy takes half the phone space with garbage like scrolling through webpages with your face.

The difference in screen size is minute. If screen size is a big deal for you, I'd recommend just waiting for the new Xperia or the Note 3.

Man, some of you guys are passionate about this stuff.

I was all for the One until I got to AT&T and couldn't get past the fact that the screen is smaller than the S4 and yet the physical size is bigger. Coming from a Nexus 4 which has a wider aspect ratio, the One's screen was actually skinnier where the S4 was at least the same width.

They're both great phones. It would be nice if Samsung would use better materials in the future, I'll admit that, but the flat out disgust people are showing is quite silly.

kehs

Banned
That chart actually only represents active Appstore users. So it's probably not good to extrapolate from the whole 900 mill number.

Marty McFly could zap in with a phone from 20 years down the road, and if it wasn't a Samsung Unknown would say it sucks. LoL

this is like asking the samsung ceo what he'd choose.

Great job of not even trying to address my valid complaints about the design of the One. Well, you both know it's futile because there is no excuse for those design decisions at least so you go right to making it personal instead. Good to know where you guys stand.

Great job of not even trying to address my valid complaints about the design of the One. Well, you both know it's futile because there is no excuse for those design decisions at least so you go right to making it personal instead. Good to know where you guys stand.

It's the same design that owners and reviewers happen to love. We're not the ones standing apart.

It's not perfect, but no phone will ever be.

It's the same design that owners and reviewers happen to love. We're not the ones standing apart.

It's not perfect, but no phone will ever be.

Why even bother?

Majority of the techsite all agree that the One is the best android phone out right now. Most of these are from reviewers that are far more credible than a known Samsung fanboy here...

Talon

Why even bother?

Majority of the techsite all agree that the One is the best android phone out right now. Most of these are from reviewers that are far more credible than a known Samsung fanboy here...
Most of those reviews point out that, ergonomically, the power button being on the top is awkward - even if it's for IR Blaster reasons.

It's fine to admit the One ain't perfect.

Most of those reviews point out that, ergonomically, the power button being on the top is awkward - even if it's for IR Blaster reasons.

It's fine to admit the One ain't perfect.

True it ain't perfect but to dismiss all the great thing about the phone for something minor is kinda rediculous.

Talon

Guilty confession: I think the HTC 8X is sexy as shit and would love a phone using the same materials and form factor.

True it ain't perfect but to dismiss all the great thing about the phone for something minor is kinda rediculous.

I see, so turning the phone's screen on is now minor. Good to know.

And I wasn't "dismiss all the great thing about the phone", I was pointing out that your perfect God metal phone does actually have a number of design problems. For some reason it's okay for people here to shit on Samsung phones all the time, and when I defend aspects of Samsung devices I like people call me a fanboy, but the Holy and Revered HTC One is inviolable and immune to any criticism. Right.

Talon

I see, so turning the phone's screen on is now minor. Good to know.

And I wasn't "dismiss all the great thing about the phone", I was pointing out that your perfect God metal phone does actually have a number of design problems. For some reason it's okay for people here to shit on Samsung phones all the time, and when I defend aspects of Samsung devices I like people call me a fanboy, but the Holy and Revered HTC One is inviolable and immune to any criticism. Right.
Dude. This thread's unofficial tagline half the year is "lol HTC."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom