• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
$300 for a 5 inch HTC? If it wasn't for the Sense 6 I would totally buy the Desire 816

htc-desire-816-en-slide-01.png

Sense 6 is legit.

The problem is it is $300. When you get to $300 your fucked cause you can cop the Nexus 5 for under $350 on deals around the web.

It appears to have the same problem as the rumored Moto G+1. Pricing to high for a mid range device when companies offer flagship phones for under $400.

The Moto G rocks cause it is sub $200 or $220 for the LTE model. Heck even the LTE model was sub $200 on sale recently.

On a side note wtf at 1.5 gigs of RAM. If you are gonna use the space and cost for more than 1 gig I don't see why you'd opt for 512 megs over a gig.

sirap

$300 for a 5 inch HTC? If it wasn't for the Sense 6 I would totally buy the Desire 816

htc-desire-816-en-slide-01.png

Yo dawg sense 6 is buttery smooth and rock solid. I've been a long time used of nova launcher and when I watched back to sense 6 I was blown away by how streamlined it was. Definitely better than that pos touchwiz.

Vanillalite

Which leaks are those?

There is that leak posted a page or two back about the next Moto G aka Moto G+1 being roughly 100 euros more than the previous Moto G. The current Moto X is only 300 euros. and that would put the G+1 at 250. Makes us wonder what they will price the X+1 at.

You could in theory extrapolate for the NA market.

Xanonano

There is that leak posted a page or two back about the next Moto G aka Moto G+1 being roughly 100 euros more than the previous Moto G. The current Moto X is only 300 euros. and that would put the G+1 at 250. Makes us wonder what they will price the X+1 at.

You could in theory extrapolate for the NA market.
Ah, but that wasn't about the next Moto G at all. It was for a variant of the current Moto G with a 5" screen and dual sim. It only makes sense that it would be priced above the €199 4G model. Also, the Moto X was originally priced at €429 in Europe.

yyzjohn

Banned
Next year will be a big Android year for me. My contract with Rogers will be coming up in the fall so I'll be looking to hop aboard a new phone, by then we'll have all those Nexus / Android silver rumors put to bed and a slew of new choices. Also my Nexus 7 is getting long in the tooth (original 2012 version) so I'll be looking to get a new tablet, hopefully 8" I think that will be a good size. Can't wait to see and try the final version of "L" this fall on my Nexus 5.

Next phone I want will have a better camera and better speakers than this thing, my only 2 complaints about this phone. Hopefully there's more choices of phones that have direct updates from Google. I love the Nexus line, but I don't want to compromise on hardware any longer. Hopefully I can pick and choose a phone from various manufacturers and get direct updates from Google.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yo dawg sense 6 is buttery smooth and rock solid. I've been a long time used of nova launcher and when I watched back to sense 6 I was blown away by how streamlined it was. Definitely better than that pos touchwiz.

Sense 6 is amazing from a performance standpoint. Clean and nice to look at as well.

Vanillalite

Ah, but that wasn't about the next Moto G at all. It was for a variant of the current Moto G with a 5" screen and dual sim. It only makes sense that it would be priced above the €199 4G model. Also, the Moto X was originally priced at €429 in Europe.

Call it what you will that's the next version of the G.

Plus as stated before nobody bought the X until it price dropped. Before that it hella bombed. One might argue it wasn't great sales even post price drop even if it was better.

Vanillalite

Except it's not. It'll be sold alongside the G as a higher end model. It's like complaining that the HTC One Max costs more than the standard one and then saying that HTC has lost the plot.

Max is a phablet. This isn't a phablet. This is the Moto G2. That's why every site is calling it the Moto G successor. It's dun dun dun dun... The next Moto G.

Plus it still doesn't ease concerns on price for their lineup refresh.

Just because the old model is still sold doesn't mean it isn't the fucking old model. iPad mini Retina is the successor to the original iPad Mini. Wait Apple sells both so it can't be the successor. Yet it fucking is.

Why GAF has to be so dense sometimes is beyond me.

Xanonano

Max is a phablet. This isn't a phablet. This is the Moto G2. That's why every site is calling it the Moto G successor. It's dun dun dun dun... The next Moto G.

Plus it still doesn't ease concerns on price for their lineup refresh.

Just because the old model is still sold doesn't mean it isn't the fucking old model. iPad mini Retina is the successor to the original iPad Mini. Wait Apple sells both so it can't be the successor. Yet it fucking is.

Why GAF has to be so dense sometimes is beyond me.

Did you actually read the article? The official name according to the Motorola rep is the 'Dual-SIM Moto G with 5" display'. It also has the same CPU, GPU, RAM and storage as the G. Both of these should be enough to show that it's not a true successor. It's also a dual sim model, so if there is a single sim model, it will likely be cheaper.

What's everyone's favorite keyboard? I like the white/blue theme I have on Swiftkey and dig some of the functionality, but I can't deal with the pop-up delay so I'm looking to switch to something aesthetically pleasing but quick.

NotBacon

What's everyone's favorite keyboard? I like the white/blue theme I have on Swiftkey and dig some of the functionality, but I can't deal with the pop-up delay so I'm looking to switch to something aesthetically pleasing but quick.

Have you updated to the latest version? They made performance improvements. Also: Google Keyboard.

kehs

Banned
a BlackBerry blogger at N4BB leapt on one of Sawyer’s tweets and wrote a story with the erroneous headline, “Blackphone Rooted Within 5 Minutes.” By the time Sawyer was presenting on Sunday at Def Con with Tim Strazzere, the story had been picked up by a number of blogs and websites—and nearly all of them didn’t bother getting further details from Sawyer or Blackphone.

…

In a conversation with Ars, Sawyer said that the hack required three vulnerabilities in all—one that is a lower-threat vulnerability to a wide range of Android-based devices and has not yet been fully disclosed. Additionally, he said, the rooting of the Blackphone required that the attacker:

• have physical access to the phone and connect it to a computer via USB,
  • configure the phone against Blackphone’s set-up recommendations,
  • not install encryption on the device,
  • ignore an unknown application source warning, and
  • have the phone’s PIN code.
In other words, to hack the Blackphone, the hacker would have to have either obtained it from a very naïve user or bought the phone himself.

…

One attack, demonstrated at Black Hat by Mathew Solnik and Marc Blanchou, used the embedded over-the-air management interfaces used by wireless carriers to perform carrier-pushed configuration updates. They were able to gain root access to BlackBerry phones, as well as some Android phones and the Sprint configuration of some iOS devices. The devices most vulnerable to the attack were the BlackBerry Z10 and the HTC One M7.

The attack takes advantage of the machine-to-machine (M2M) interface used by carriers to do remote provisioning of the phone when it’s purchased and to push out communications updates. The interface is part of the baseband configuration of the phones—it leverages the baseband processor, which is the system-on-chip that handles the connection to cellular networks. On some devices, the baseband chip can access local storage and memory used by the smart phone’s operating system and be used to gain root-level access.

At Def Con, Ars talked with Jon Callas and Dan Ford about the baseband question. Callas said that the baseband processor in the Blackphone, which is made by Nvidia, has no such access to the memory and storage used by PrivatOS. “It’s completely segregated,” Callas said. Blackphone is looking at ways to provide an audit of the phone’s baseband code to assure users that the cellular modem can’t be made into what amounts to a hostile router, “but we assume that it’s a hostile router in the way we developed PrivatOS,” Callas added.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/08/blackphone-goes-to-def-con-and-gets-hacked-sort-of/

One Plus is fucking up so much. I guess that is yo be expected of a newly put together company. Hire some fucking marketing people for Christ sakes.

#dealbreaker

i mean, i can see the other things... someone having the PIN, having mhysicall access, having a PC, and even the phone being set up against recommendation... but why would anyone who has a Blackphone *not* use encryption?

In part, it relied on an already-patched problem in Blackphone’s remote wipe software, which Sawyer hadn’t downloaded—

a BlackBerry blogger at N4BB leapt on one of Sawyer’s tweets and wrote a story with the erroneous headline, “Blackphone Rooted Within 5 Minutes.”

it all makes sense now!

sarcastor

Sense 6 is legit.

The problem is it is $300. When you get to $300 your fucked cause you can cop the Nexus 5 for under $350 on deals around the web.It appears to have the same problem as the rumored Moto G+1. Pricing to high for a mid range device when companies offer flagship phones for under $400. The Moto G rocks cause it is sub $200 or $220 for the LTE model. Heck even the LTE model was sub $200 on sale recently.

true but i want a 5" phone with SD card support for $300. I am switching to Verizon prepaid soon (cause I'm starting Lyft and Tmobile in SF is just horrible) so I can't use this phone, One+, Blu, etc. so I'm stuck with the Galaxy S4. or a LG G2....

Hey guys,

Would anybody recommend a program to back up (and restore) text messages?

I want to factory reset my phone (LG Elite). Just wondering what the best program was that anybody uses.

jokkir

Hey guys,

I want to factory reset my phone (LG Elite). Just wondering what the best program was that anybody uses.

The only app you'll need is

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

You can also upload to the cloud (Drive, Dropbox) and restore from there. I would recommend that just incase the factory reset deletes the internal data. Also, you can setup schedules every night or something to save texts.

Eanan

Hey guys,

I use SMS Backup + as it backs the texts/call logs to your email, but there seems to be issues with restoring the texts to your phone with kitkat, but no issues backing them up. The developer seems to have gone AWOL also as he hasn't updated the app in like 9 months.

Anyone else got any similar backup apps they know of?

Furyous

Outside of the OPO, What's the verdict on Chinese smartphones brought over to the US? I have a friend (seriously, this isn't me I swear) that's looking at Chinese smartphones and wants to know which one she should buy. It needs to last for two years at least possibly more.

I told her I'm partial to either of the Find 7 variants but that's just my opinion.

*EDIT*

I'm holding off on sub $300 phones that aren't the OPO for at least two years when dat BOM comes down and today's high end spec is ultra low end. That Desire looks doable minus the screen quality but imagine what it will look like in two years.

Outside of the OPO, What's the verdict on Chinese smartphones brought over to the US? I have a friend (seriously, this isn't me I swear) that's looking at Chinese smartphones and wants to know which one she should buy. It needs to last for two years at least possibly more.

I told her I'm partial to either of the Find 7 variants but that's just my opinion.

*EDIT*

I'm holding off on sub $300 phones that aren't the OPO for at least two years when dat BOM comes down and today's high end spec is ultra low end. That Desire looks doable minus the screen quality but imagine what it will look like in two years.

Xiaomi Mi4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom