• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

I would tell you that all phone AMOLED displays are made by Samsung, including the ones used in Moto devices, but that would go against the narrative of AndroidGAF where Samsung is like the Hitler of phones.

So yes, Moto AMOLED is far superior to Samsung AMOLED and the difference is visibly obvious. This is the same as how the plastic used in Moto and Sony phones is clearly superior to the plastic that Samsung uses.
"Perhaps idiots like you should try reading books instead of burning them..."

Furyous

On screen buttons vs Physical buttons?

SD cards vs integrated memory?

Amoled vs LCD?

Metal vs Plastic?

Tech Specs vs Experience?

I've probably missed one....

*picks up the baton and runs with it*

32 bit vs 64 bit

LTE vs LTE A (Does your phone have dat Cat 6?)

Quad vs Octa core

HD vs QHD

32/64 GB Flash vs 32 GB with SD Card

2100 Mah vs 2800 Mah vs 3000+ Mah

Stock vs CM (We know it's coming at some point)

Standard charging methods vs New Methods

NFC vs Bluetooth (Apple will find a way to make this an argument)

Normally syncing of the phone vs enhanced wifi (aka Can you sync from your driveway?)

Spec Warz are great. However, we ran into a problem this year and are in trouble for the foreseeable future. Why should I buy an LG G4 that basically runs the same as G3 but with a 64 bit processor when the G3 is $400 off contract? For the record I don't know anything about the G4 but am speculating because they can't decrease the resolution now can they?

CronoShot

note_4_leaks.jpg

Oh, look, it's the Note 4!

Same as the Note 3....

Now all that's left to be shown is the new iPhone and the Motorola X1 and all flagships are done for the year. I currently own a Note 3, and unless Apple wows me with the new 5.5 iPhone, I might just stay put with my device for a while. I was looking forward to a newly designed phone on the Note 4, but apparently the insides are the only new thing this year. Bummer.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Same as the Note 3....

Now all that's left to be shown is the new iPhone and the Motorola X1 and all flagships are done for the year. I currently own a Note 3, and unless Apple wows me with the new 5.5 iPhone, I might just stay put with my device for a while. I was looking forward to a newly designed phone on the Note 4, but apparently the insides are the only new thing this year. Bummer.

Says hi!

Groof

Let me guess, they'll make a huge deal about a metal construction when only the sides are metal and the rest is the same old plastic.

The Mrs bought an LG G2 last week to replace her rather shite Xperia T. After a few days of playing around/benchmarking etc I realise how poor my N5 battery life is in comparison.

So, I've decided it's time for a new phone. Has anyone got an LG G Pro 2 or a Oppo Find 7a that they can give some feedback on, as these are the two I have shortlisted.

reKon

Banned

Same as the Note 3....

Well there's the Xperia Z3 as well

Futureman

my friend was still using Google Talk I guess in the browser in Gmail when I visited him

he just asked how to not have all my Hangouts messages go to his email inbox? I guess it does that when he's not logged in?

so how do I explain to him to upgrade to Hangouts? I didn't even know you could still use the old Google Talk with the status bubbles next to each chat person.

or get rid of the hardware buttons entirely? theyre basically the only ones left using them

stuck in the past, typical samsung

But on-screen buttons offer no advantage over physical buttons. They just take up more screen real estate, compared to physical buttons.

Eanan

Do as OnePlus did with the one; have both off screen capacative buttons that can be disabled and on screen buttons and let he user decide. Then again, its Samsung.

They could have an even smaller bezel and just use on-screen buttons.

That's what I hear every time this subject get brought up, but I've yet to see anyone doing it. Every phone with on-screen buttons I've seen so far had a bezel big enough for physical buttons.

hitsugi

That's what I hear every time this subject get brought up, but I've yet to see anyone doing it. Every phone with on-screen buttons I've seen so far had a bezel big enough for physical buttons.

You know, you're right about that - and I have no idea of why. Sharp's line of phones (that no one has ever heard of) have pretty slim bezels, but even they have enough room on the bottom to accommodate those buttons:

1285569-sharp-aquos-phone-xx-3.jpg

...not really sure what's up with that area of the phone. There must be a reason no one's eliminating the bottom bezels.

You know, you're right about that - and I have no idea of why. Sharp's line of phones (that no one has ever heard of) have pretty slim bezels, but even they have enough room on the bottom to accommodate those buttons:

1285569-sharp-aquos-phone-xx-3.jpg

...not really sure what's up with that area of the phone. There must be a reason no one's eliminating the bottom bezels.

I think much like the Moto 360 some of that space is required for physical connections to the screen. I also think it might be a balance issue. There needs to be bezel at the top for the camera, speaker and light sensor. No bezel at the bottom would "unbalance" the phone. Though I definitely think most modern phones could shave a few mm off, both top and bottom.

But on-screen buttons offer no advantage over physical buttons. They just take up more screen real estate, compared to physical buttons.

Yep, I don't get why people want on screen buttons at all. It's one of the reasons that stopped me from going from a HTC One M7 to a M8. I don't see any advantage that is used over physical buttons.

Yep, I don't get why people want on screen buttons at all. It's one of the reasons that stopped me from going from a HTC One M7 to a M8. I don't see any advantage that is used over physical buttons.

Same thing that stopped me. Claims a 5" screen, actually 4.7". Waste of space. Look at the Sony line for this perfect example.

Stock vs CM (We know it's coming at some point)

CM gets the thumbs up from me if we’re evaluating both on its own merit without things like Xposed modules, just for pushing greater user control and features. Fuck Google and their "all or nothing" approach to permissions tbh.

And in a similar bracket, there’s also

Stock android vs. custom launchers like nova

I’ll take custom launchers any day too thank you very much. Fuck vanilla. It’s too limited and stifling, not to mention diarrhea inducing in the looks department. I prefer my own sleek style and feel. I like to have my own icon sets, transparencies, custom x y grid, custom drawer and tab organisation, swipeable docks, ability to assign swipe action on icons, multiple types of gesture actions on home screen, folder within folder, backup and import layouts etc. If you like vanilla, good for you, but it’s overrated shite as far as I’m concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom