• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyBrad

I'm out of the Android loop. Is there a new Android version coming this year? And when I mean new, I mean an actual significant jump forward for Android. The last complete rehaul we got was Ice Cream Sandwich.

Yes to both. Preview tomorrow. Out in the Autumn. Read up the page.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I don't pay a whole lot of attention to this stuff, but I was thinking of getting rid of my old and busted Inspire 4G to get a Moto X, but I might be switching to T-Mobile soon and I don't have 400 extra bucks to drop on an unsubsidized T-Mobile version from the Motorola store.

What's a good alternative to Moto X?

Nexus 5. There's still no better option if you take into account price, hardware and software, IMO. Although if $400 is too much I suppose $350 is as well.

So smart watches are the new thing? Wonder if they will take off or flop.

idk I personally think they'll flop. Watches aren't really as useful as they used to be, and no matter how hard I try I can't bring myself to wear one for more than a few days. Lots of people still wear them though so who knows.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm out of the Android loop. Is there a new Android version coming this year? And when I mean new, I mean an actual significant jump forward for Android. The last complete rehaul we got was Ice Cream Sandwich.

Yes to both. Preview tomorrow. Out in the Autumn. Read up the page.

I doubt it's gonna be as big a leap as 2.3 -> 4.0. They're not gonna completely change the design language again anytime soon. It's gonna be an even further refined and consistent version of what we already have in KitKat. It will probably look a lot like this.

Of course, new features are to be expected. I'm personally hopeful for something like Apple's Continuity. I want to be able to answer calls and texts on my PC without any special 3rd party apps. And don't bring up Google Voice, that's not the same (and doesn't really exist outside the US anyway).

So smart watches are the new thing? Wonder if they will take off or flop.

Don't think they'll flop. The fitness stuff alone is huge. The execution just needs to be done right. IMO there are three main hurdles to mass smartwatch adoption

1) They look dorky. Moto 360 looks to solve this

2) Clunky user interface. Google wear seems to solve this

3) Battery life. This is still the big question.

Watches are as much fashion pieces as utilities, if not more so. There's only a small subset of people who want to be seen wearing something that looks like a Casio smartwatch from the early 90's.

Zeppu

I'd bet they'll publish and SDK and maybe push changes to AOSP then wait for community to actually build roms, and that would be the 'beta'.

kehs

Banned
If someone wants to take the following and create a new thread, go for it:

Google I/O 2014 - Billions of Webs, Billions of Androids, Billions of Chromes, zero G+s

----
ac7ybLp.png

The keynote begins at 9:00 AM PDT | 11:00 AM CT | 12:00 PM EST on June 25.

t1403712000z4.png

It's a Google I/O Site

It's the Google I/O Youtube Stream (Only visible to people with internet connections)
youtubelink isn't live yet

It's a Google I/O app for Android (You can stream video from here for the sessions)

(an OP to rival any Andrex creation for sure.)

DonMigs85

The new Baytrail-powered Asus Memopad HD7 seems like a terrific value. Its processor can rival or exceed the iPad Air's performance

Quasar

Don't think they'll flop. The fitness stuff alone is huge. The execution just needs to be done right. IMO there are three main hurdles to mass smartwatch adoption

1) They look dorky. Moto 360 looks to solve this

2) Clunky user interface. Google wear seems to solve this

3) Battery life. This is still the big question.

Watches are as much fashion pieces as utilities, if not more so. There's only a small subset of people who want to be seen wearing something that looks like a Casio smartwatch from the early 90's.

I just wonder how they will go with folks who lack giant wrists. Of course for me I still don't see a use case. The convenience of not taking my phone from my pocket is not worth a dime.

I guess what I still want is one that could replace my phone. Not a screen tethered to my phone.

Those are just mockups though.

Sure, but AP's mockups are based on real images given to them by their source(s), so I see no reason why the real deal doesn't look close to this. They're rarely wrong on stuff like this.

AP said:
As with our other rumor posts, we won't be sharing source images here. What you will see are our recreations of the interface based on what we've seen and our understanding of how things work based on the information provided. These are mocked up as faithfully as possible to the source images without retaining any possibly identifiable information.

kehs

Banned
I just wonder how they will go with folks who lack giant wrists. Of course for me I still don't see a use case. The convenience of not taking my phone from my pocket is not worth a dime.

I guess what I still want is one that could replace my phone. Not a screen tethered to my phone.

The 360 is only like 42 or 44 mm. I have small wrists and a 40 works fine.

Fatalah

So I don't pay a whole lot of attention to this stuff, but I was thinking of getting rid of my old and busted Inspire 4G to get a Moto X, but I might be switching to T-Mobile soon and I don't have 400 extra bucks to drop on an unsubsidized T-Mobile version from the Motorola store.

What's a good alternative to Moto X?

I can personally vouch for Swappa being awesome. I bought two Moto X's from Swappa last year -- for me and my wife.

The unlocked Moto X is currently selling for about $300, tax and shipping included. (Carrier-specific models are going for as low as $225!)

Cipherr

I/O isn't even over. There's surely more news to come in the coming days.

All of the good stuff is happening in the smaller conferences that are following the keynote.

Notifications:

They are getting privacy settings to make sure lockscreen notifications don't show sensitive notification information to any old person who picks up your phone.

They have them broken into groups. Where devs can specify if notifications should be public, private or secret. The difference between private and secret seems to be that a private notification lists on the home screen but without any detail. It just lets you know theres a notification to check once you unlock the phone. Secret notifications are silent and don't present themselves at all until the device is unlocked (assuming I'm recalling his description directly)

And then some tools to help the notifications sort themselves properly on the lockscreen so the important stuff rises to the top when you have more notifications than can fit on the screen.

And of course, user control over notifications and sounds priority and more through settings:

This is the type of shit I really wish they would detail more in the keynote. But I suppose granular info would just put everyone to sleep. They all just want to watch cheesy videos and collect free swag, lol.

VoxPop

So you guys still ditching Android for iOS?

Absolutely.

Could always come back if they deliver something special one day.

Maybe the M9 will wow me like the M7 did when it first came out. Imo HTC is the only one doing a good job on both the hardware (although they took a slight step back with the M8) and software end with Sense. I wouldnt bother with Samsung, LG, Motorola, and Nexus devices as I've owned all of them and always regretted it. Always liked Sony but its too much of a hassle to get their phones over here in the states.

Nah. While iOS 8 is quite an improvement when compared to previous versions, there's still much that it just can't do that Android can. Plus, I think Android is the best looking mobile OS, and that includes JB, KK, and what's been shown so far of L; especially L.

And since I don't have many other Apple products, the continuity stuff, while great, wouldn't offer much to me. Even if I was more invested in the Apple ecosystem, nothing shown at wwdc is worth switching over for, in my opinion.

Just cancelled my order for the Oppo Find 7. Interested to see what is going to happen with the 5.0/L phones. Prolly wait for google play edition of a G3 or Z2 or whatever.

MattDoza

You were probably referencing others who have said as much, but, no way! Excited about the redesign of what looks like everything. Also very happy HTC came out and said the M7/M8 are getting it too. Not that I was really worried about the M7 being supported, I just feel like you can never be too sure anymore with the rate of device iterations.

terrier

So how do i get the Android L preview?

i hope not only developers can install it. And also hope it is 'usable' (expect bugs obviously, but as long i can use the phone normally....)

Can't wait for first impressions.

I guess then we can go back to 4.4.4 without problems, can't we? never flashed manually my nexus 5

Groof

Is it Nexus devices only? I feel like there would be a way to get around that...

Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2013) only. But considering most of the source will be out there expect devs/XDA to make porting it to other platforms quick work.
Do remember that it's only a dev preview some 6 months before release, so it will be buggy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
i hope not only developers can install it. And also hope it is 'usable' (expect bugs obviously, but as long i can use the phone normally....)

Can't wait for first impressions.

I guess then we can go back to 4.4.4 without problems, can't we? never flashed manually my nexus 5

Yes, if you want to go back you just flash the latest image on this page. You can never "get stuck" on a version, you can always flash another.

Is it Nexus devices only? I feel like there would be a way to get around that...

ROM developers will port it to other phones, it's just gonna take a little time (and will probably not run very well at first).

pronk420

now its 9am in new yoik i was hoping they would release the android L

do they usually wait til 'morning' goog time (west coast USA?) or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom