• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
not really, she's a Samsung fangirl. she basically wants the Samsung unless the potentiasl 2014 Nexus is just flat out better spec wise.

Well maybe you should spend some time educating her than? Touchwiz is considerably slower less clean and harder to use than vanilla android. I've never seen a single Samsung including their latest devices come anywhere near the user experience of a nexus device.

reKon

Banned
The Nexus 9 is already looking like a disappointment for me if that price point from those leaks are accurate. The Nexus 7 is still a beast and I expected the Nexus 9 to improve on more areas that I care about other than screen size and not actually go backwards. Oh well, I'll wait and see the announcement.

At least there's hope for my future phone:

M

o

t

o

X

look... we're tech nerds. Of course all the phones and tablets Samsung releases now-a-days are legit and great devices. But we demand better, and there are better out there, so FUCK SAMMY.

Let's ignore all the things they do right, by just shitting on everything they do wrong.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Front facing speakers are huge for a tablet. Huge.

this_guy

Well maybe you should spend some time educating her than? Touchwiz is considerably slower less clean and harder to use than vanilla android. I've never seen a single Samsung including their latest devices come anywhere near the user experience of a nexus device.

How is it harder to use? Vanilla android is overrated.

educate? she likes TW features and doesn't care much for stock and even has apps that mimic TW SW and features on her Nexus 7.

Front facing speakers are huge for a tablet. Huge.

Samsung did that 2 Galaxy Tabs ago.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have it on my Nexus 10. One of its best features. People without it can't understand just how great it is.

Groof

On a tablet front facing speakers are probably the greatest thing ever. On phones it's more like a cool if it has it whatever if it don't.

MarkusRJR

Does anybody know if you can pay for Google Play Music All Access with Paypal? They added Paypal to the store but I don't know if it extends over to All Access.

How is it harder to use? Vanilla android is overrated.

Its confusing as crap to the general consumer. I've seen phone buyers multiple times have a much easier time on vanilla than touch wiz. If you think its intuitive to have two voice search apps, two stores, two messaging apps, etc and a million power control toggles than you are lost.

Edit: Oh and the best feature these days is completely hidden. (Google now)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I can't think of a single service or app that is better on TW but if she knows what she's doing good for her.

I like the quick toggles always being on the top of the notification shade and I like the brightness slider.

I like that the lock screen can be swiped from anywhere on the screen to unlock it.

Soodanim

I was going to get an N7 for my birthday, but I said no because unwanted to see what Google would do at their thing. If that N9 is real, I don't want it. And I'm still not sure I want an N7.

Is N7 still the best to go for?

this_guy

Its confusing as crap to the general consumer. I've seen phone buyers multiple times have a much easier time on vanilla than touch wiz. If you think its intuitive to have two voice search apps, two stores, two messaging apps, etc and a million power control toggles than you are lost.

Maybe it's confusing to YOU, but the general consumer seems to pick it up just fine based on Samsung's sales. If you find that insulting you should stop insulting the general consumer and calling them easily confused. If the crowd you run with gets easily confused maybe you should show them the iPhone? If you still think you're right that touchwiz is just too difficult, can you back that up with studies?

Doesn't Google also offer multiple email and photo gallery apps on stock Android?

I don't have a Samsung phone btw. Everyone looks for something different in a phone, and for me I'd rather have battery life and and a good camera over stock android.

Groof

Doesn't Google also offer multiple email and photo gallery apps on stock Android?
For email apps they offer one for gmail and one for all other, exchange type mail accounts. As for gallery apps, they used to have the stock AOSP Gallery app which was replaced by the Google+ Photos app. The problem with replacing stock apps that ship preinstalled on a device is that even if they're rendered defunked or is stopped supported it can't be removed. However, any subsequent devices won't have the previous app anymore and only the new one.

Groof

So I should always be using "Photos" rather than "Gallery"? Wasn't clear at all as a new Nexus owner.
Up to you. The Photos app is pretty stupidly designed and for gallery purposes the old one is better in my opinion. But as this is android, you're free to use whichever app you want.

Timan

Developer
Has anyone purchased a Moto G, if so how is it, worth getting? I need to replace a at&t HTC ONE (i know its a downgrade) for a tmobile ready phone. Seems to be the only phone around 200$ that is semi decent.

NotBacon

Let's ignore all the things they do right, by just shitting on everything they do wrong.

Hey look this Google car has great gas mileage and heated seats, but it's missing a backup camera.

Hey look this Samsung car has great gas mileage, heated seats, and a backup camera. But it also has a cheap plastic interior and the wheels are the latest trend, they're cubes.

Samsung continues to get things right by having a replaceable battery and microsd slot.

I still don't understand the removable battery discussion, if the phone has great battery life you don't need to even worry about it. My 2 year old Droid Razr HD lasts 1.5 days on average, so I just plug it in every night, and I don't have to fucking worry about it...

This. I feel like the mass phone sales are from newcomers to android, because I haven't had one friend pleased with their Samsung after spending time with it. Slow, confusing, ugly are common complaints, and then they say they want to go back to iphone. Well no shit.

Up to you. The Photos app is pretty stupidly designed and for gallery purposes the old one is better in my opinion. But as this is android, you're free to use whichever app you want.

I hate how the Photos app can't default to local photos. It keeps on trying to show me my photos in the cloud BUT I DON'T PUT MY PHOTOS IN THE CLOUD. So I just use Quickpic.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So what am I supposed to do with that sd slot? My favorite podcast app isn't even letting me save the podcasts to sd, and they blame kit Kat.

My favorite podcast app lets me save to the sd card. And I store all my music on a 64gb microsd card.

Google trying to sabotage microsd card slots for inexplicable reasons doesn't make them less of a great feature, it makes Google morons.

And removable batteries are good if you want to keep your phone longer than two years.

kehs

Banned
So hangout gaf doesn't really care about an app affecting my phone after being uninstalled.

Scenario:

Installed Beautiful Icon Styler since it can change icons on google now launcher without root.

It was all good, until I decided I got bored of it. So I uninstalled it, and my icons got changed to this shit:

2014-06-22

Dear Google, how the fuck is it possible that an app can do this without root, and after being uninstalled?

---

My only remedy was to re install and then disable the icon pack.

I want some technical insight into how this work, please.

Google Tracker, I/O edition—what Google is working on before the big show

With Google I/O coming up in just a few days, it's time for a second edition of The Google Tracker, what we hope will be a bi-yearly look at what's going on at Google HQ. Just like last time, we'll have a potent mix of news, (good) rumors, and a bit of informed speculation thrown in. We're not personally guaranteeing all of this will show up at Google I/O—this is more of a to-do list of upcoming projects, most of which we aren't attaching an expected time frame to.

Still, with Google's product launch extravaganza just around the corner, it's a good idea to have a fresh set of potential announcements in your head. This year could see Google tackling everything from watches to TVs to enterprise computing.

My favorite podcast app lets me save to the sd card. And I store all my music on a 64gb microsd card.

Google trying to sabotage microsd card slots for inexplicable reasons doesn't make them less of a great feature, it makes Google morons.

And removable batteries are good if you want to keep your phone longer than two years.

even at 1 year, you're looking at as low as 85% capacity on a phone charged every day.

So hangout gaf doesn't really care about an app affecting my phone after being uninstalled.

Scenario:

Installed Beautiful Icon Styler since it can change icons on google now launcher without root.

It was all good, until I decided I got bored of it. So I uninstalled it, and my icons got changed to this shit:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vM95tMZ0mtE/U6dTBbhkM1I/AAAAAAAAHtU/Vp216hhhhQ4/s512/2014-06-22

Dear Google, how the fuck is it possible that an app can do this without root, and after being uninstalled?

---

did you try restarting the phone?

the new Tegra is always supposed to be really good. can't give them the benefit of the doubt 4 years in a row...

The Tegra K1 is the first Tegra with Tiny Kepler in it and early reports are it's roughly twice as powerful as the nearest competing top-end mobile GPU.

Tegra K1 is real as fuck and this isn't even the version with Project Denver and Tiny Maxwell yet.

Maybe it's confusing to YOU, but the general consumer seems to pick it up just fine based on Samsung's sales. If you find that insulting you should stop insulting the general consumer and calling them easily confused. If the crowd you run with gets easily confused maybe you should show them the iPhone? If you still think you're right that touchwiz is just too difficult, can you back that up with studies?

I don't have a Samsung phone btw. Everyone looks for something different in a phone, and for me I'd rather have battery life and and a good camera over stock android.

I don't have studies. I see it first hand. People return their Galaxy's left and right for iPhone. I have never seen an unhappy or lost user with a Moto X/G or recent Nexus.

Samsung's sell because they are the only alternative to the iPhone that people know about due to their huge advertising. I shouldn't even have to say this.

NotBacon

I don't have studies. I see it first hand. People return their Galaxy's left and right for iPhone. I have never seen an unhappy or lost user with a Moto X/G or recent Nexus.

Samsung's sell because they are the only alternative to the iPhone that people know about due to their huge advertising. I shouldn't even have to say this.

qft

3phemeral

Scenario:

2014-06-22

---

This used to happen to me on older versions of Android but I assumed it was because of the launcher having references to uninstalled apps stored differently and lacked any cross-referencing capability. I don't recall if it was the default launcher, but I Imagine at the time I was probably using Nova/ADW/Francisco Launcher. I don't get them at all, these days. The last time I do remember seeing this was when I restored an old launcher backup where I didn't yet install all of my apps again, that was a long time ago.

Not sure if you're using the built-in launcher or a 3rd-party one.

terrier

But that can be said for most manufacturers, , for example sony have their Sony Select store, and some have their own bloatware and duplicate apps too.
My only concern about touchwiz is that is too hungry and makes their hardware lag where others don't: i have a nexus 5 snapdragon 800, my wife galaxy s4+, same soc, mine does not lag at all, hers does.
I do not have these issues with xperia or htc phones, like z1 for example.
Besides that, TW isn't that confusing. It has some nice features too, like more accessible toggles or app drawer editing.
They should optimize it, or just use another launcher (i don't know if that makes TW disappear and make the device faster overall or still runs in background)

Plus google also makes weird things with their apps, for example recent drive,docs/sheets split, hangouts now is decent, photos tied to G+ is a fucking mess, etc etc

thenexus6

So at night I turn my brightness all the way down so I don't have to strain my eyes however it keeps randomly changing back to what it was (little over half way). I wake up in the morning or some time in the middle of the night and its so bright again?

Futureman

So at night I turn my brightness all the way down so I don't have to strain my eyes however it keeps randomly changing back to what it was (little over half way). I wake up in the morning or some time in the middle of the night and its so bright again?

well I assume the software on the Nexus 6 is still a bit buggy.

Futureman

I'm gonna guess Verizon will probably run some promo on their smartphones over July 4th?

Anyone know for sure? they just had $100 off select phones during Memorial Day and then Father's Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom