• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kami_sama

The battery is the only thing that makes it worth the switch from the old Nexus 5.

Still, 399 for 16 GB is a bit shit.

Oh, and what about the rumored metal frame? I haven't seen it mentioned in a while.

Yeah, even more considering the Style/Pure hasbettter battery, res, bigger screen and sd card for only $400 (in the US). Only thing it misses is the fingerprint scanner.

It's always a game of tradeoffs in the android world. Moto could have went for the kill this year but they always mess it up somehow. Still think the X Force/Bounce whatever it's called should have been the pure and the only phone they released worldwide.

Saiyan-Rox

I would say it's more than slightly better.

Better camera (with laser autofocus)
1 whole extra gig of ram
+400mah extra battery capacity for a slightly bigger screen (and more efficient OS)
fingerprint scanner + type C

Well we hope that the OS is efficient (and has better battery expectancy) The previews might but we all know how that turned out with Lollipop.

Suppose in thinking this means Marshmallow will release earlier this year too :O

In Nexus we trust

Let it warm us with its chipset but not burn like its rivals with the 810, amen.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...l-hardware-in-white-with-fingerprint-scanner/

ap_resize.php
I don't really care how the back of phones look, but as far as backsides go, I really like this. Camera humps don't, and will never bother me.

What colour are you guys going to want if the rumours are true for the 5-2. The White/Black/Light Blue.

I always take black and likely will again but I'll have to see this light blue. Depends how light it is. If it looks tacky then meh.

Saiyan-Rox

What colour are you guys going to want if the rumours are true for the 5-2. The White/Black/Light Blue.

I always take black and likely will again but I'll have to see this light blue. Depends how light it is. If it looks tacky then meh.

It'll probably be baby blue xD

Tbh if its only the back (which it probably is) I'd go for black. Went white for the Nexus 5 and 6.

The fact that Sony's midrange phone has a humpless 21.5 Mpix camera shows how crap most hardware manufs are at industrial design.

Yes because the manufacturers can control how thick the camera unit is that they are buying from Sony. Even Apple can't do anything about that bruh

Groof

If only they'd make a red one again. Not only does it look good but it's also a great conversation starter

I guess I'd go with blue. I had a yellow Lumia 920, now a bright red Nexus 5. Why not go with blue?

It's always a game of tradeoffs in the android world. Moto could have went for the kill this year but they always mess it up somehow. Still think the X Force/Bounce whatever it's called should have been the pure and the only phone they released worldwide.

People don't buy expensive Android phones unfortunately.

Big thing will be if next Nexus uses DDR4 memory. That's one of the downfalls of the Pure and should be on most high midrange to high end phones going forward. OnePlus 2 did it right by using DDR4.

HawkeyeIC

The Pure and Force have no reason to exist together. No fingerprint on the Force for a phone that won't be released until almost 2016 is a joke though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 6 on M3 lasted all day on a more demanding travel trip. Based.

We need N6-2 leaks. It feels like we know all about the poor people N5 version. But we don't know as much for the N6-2. I wonder if they'll both launch simultaneously.

giga

Android users complaining about paying $400 for 16GB of storage, when iPhone users have to pay $650 for the same. #poor #android #oneplussquad #serverlife

Saiyan-Rox

We need N6-2 leaks. It feels like we know all about the poor people N5 version. But we don't know as much for the N6-2. I wonder if they'll both launch simultaneously.

Dem food stamps though

Hasney

Serious advice needed guys. I want a new Android Phone and I'm currently rocking a Note 3 but my microphone has begun shitting the bed.

I am looking into two phones, I'm ATT only. I am thinking of either getting a Nexus 6 or a Galaxy Note 5. The main issue I have is - if I go with the Note 5 it can't be rooted because ATT has locked down the bootloader, and if I go with a Nexus 6 I'm afraid it will be very hard to replace the battery or be extremely expensive. Samsung offers a replacement service for 50 bucks.

Any help? I want an OLED display, and a user replacable battery with a decent camera, but I keep looking at my Note 3 running CM12.1 and realizing it really might be the GOAT.

I'd say get the Nexus 6, but since you mentioned camera, it's a pain to recommend. Love everything else about the phone since I don't personally give a shit about the camera, but that constant auto focus would drive me crazy. Takes good pictures if you can put up with it though.

Downgraded screen size and ugly as sin so far means it's already a no from me. Hopefully 2016 brings us bountiful joys.

EDIT: also decided to look into my battery stats for a quiet day since idle time on Lollipop was so terrible. Had an hour of screen time and it says I have 3 days of battery left. Nice.

gcubed

we got a leak, it has the ugly ass hump from 2011 HTC. I'm so sad

Hasney

Yeah, DDR4 isn't a big deal. Now that fast storage Samsung has had since the S6? That's the thing all phones need from 2016 on.

Nikodemos

Yes because the manufacturers can control how thick the camera unit is that they are buying from Sony. Even Apple can't do anything about that bruh
It's still the same Exmor 230 they stick in everything, isn't it? It's not like it comes in several sizes.

because sony does huge bezels instead of stacking part of the camera sensor behind the screen.
I'd rather have a large bezel than than hideous back wart. Makes the phone look all crooked when resting on a flat surface, too, and microsuction stands don't fit them that well either. Besides, I've never understood the fascination with bezel-less phones.

In the end I really don't care about a camera hump. I mostly just hate this thinness competition at the expense of battery life.

I figure I'll get the nexus 5-2 this year and then use my upgrade around this time in 2016 on what hopefully will be a better moto X with fingerprint scanner and reasonable size, or the 2016 nexus.

I'll make samsung a deal right now. If the S7 has GREAT battery and you continue to scale back touchwiz, I'll get your phone on day one in 2016. But not good battery....GREAT. I pledge that to thee.

Nikodemos

^^^^ They'd have to make a GOOD battery first. The S6 and Edge have atrocious battery life. Especially for high-end devices.

are we still pretending that the GS6 and GSD6 Edge don't have good battery life?

peeps talked about the capacity but then when the battery tests happened, oh look, FinFET

are we still pretending that the GS6 and GSD6 Edge don't have good battery life?

peeps talked about the capacity but then when the battery tests happened, oh look, FinFET
I'm pretty sure every post-launch review I read said it doesn't have good battery life.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-three-months#slide5

there are the impressions of 6 different people. Efficiency of the hardware stopped it from being absolutely abysmal. Instead it's average on most days (average in the android world doesn't say much), below average on others. And undeniably worse than the year before. Tis a shame.

In the end samsung went the right direction for the most part this year. All they have to do is correct battery life and keep going the direction of premium hardware/top camera/good size/keep reducing your software footprint.

I shit on them all the time but I always vote with my wallet. If they can pull off the near perfect phone I'll get it. I say near because it won't run stock :(

I'm pretty sure every post-launch review I read said it doesn't have good battery life.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-three-months#slide5

there are the impressions of 6 different people. Efficiency of the hardware stopped it from being absolutely abysmal. Instead it's average on most days (average in the android world doesn't say much), below average on others. And undeniably worse than the year before. Tis a shame.

i dunno about impressions, they all seem to expect it to be bad because of the spec sheet. when actually measured by Anandtech and GSMArena it seems to be good.

Negator

What ritual must I perform and animals to sacrifice to get a new fucking phone with a MicroSD slot. Why do so many new phones not have it, it's fucking annoying.

What ritual must I perform and animals to sacrifice to get a new fucking phone with a MicroSD slot. Why do so many new phones not have it, it's fucking annoying.

Carriers want you to use bandwidth
Companies want you to use their cloud storage
Manufacturers get to save few cent per device

Everyone wins.

i dunno about impressions, they all seem to expect it to be bad because of the spec sheet. when actually measured by Anandtech and GSMArena it seems to be good.
I had one for a little while (only at work) and thought it was pretty bad. It's definitely not good. It's somewhere below good. How below it depends on usage and whether or not touchwiz gets bogged.

What phones are you using nowadays that need an upgrade?

The only upgrade my Nexus 5 needs is the battery. But I've said that many times already.
If it wasn't for that, I could easily use it for another year. And even then I'm pushing it a little and trying to find an excuse for a new toy. I can charge my phone at work and always leave with a fully charged battery. So it's more of a convenience thing.

What does this have to do with you masturbating over DDR4 in phones now, just because OnePlus uses it? Like it's some sort of deal breaker if a phone doesn't have it. When people say "why the fuck does it not have a fingerprint reader/NFC?", then I can understand it a little bit. They want it to be future proof for Android Pay or because it might be actually useful to them. But DDR4 as the next big thing and the downfall for phones that don't have it? Get fucking real.

Nikodemos

I had one for a little while (only at work) and thought it was pretty bad. It's definitely not good. It's somewhere below good. How below it depends on usage and whether or not touchwiz gets bogged.
I used one for games and it was real bad. Quick charging doesn't help if you don't have access to a socket.

The only upgrade my Nexus 5 needs is the battery. But I've said that many times already.
If it wasn't for that, I could easily use it for another year. And even then I'm pushing it a little and trying to find an excuse for a new toy. I can charge my phone at work and always leave with a fully charged battery. So it's more of a convenience thing.

What does this have to do with you masturbating over DDR4 in phones now, just because OnePlus uses it? Like it's some sort of deal breaker if a phone doesn't have it. When people say "why the fuck does it not have a fingerprint reader/NFC?", then I can understand it a little bit. They want it to be future proof for Android Pay or because it might be actually useful to them. But DDR4 as the next big thing and the downfall for phones that don't have it? Get fucking real.

As a poor ass Nexus 5 user I know you don't get things that should be in modern flagships like the Galaxy S6, Note 5, and OnePlus 2. It's all good.

As a poor ass Nexus 5 user I know you don't get things that should be in modern flagships like the Galaxy S6, Note 5, and OnePlus 2. It's all good.

At least you've confirmed that you don't have any arguments at all and you're also not interested in a meaningful discussion. You're such a waste of time.

Reckoner

The perfection of the Z5 Compact Premium (exclusive to Japan) being completely overlooked in this thread. Makes me sad. But I understand why. Sony Mobile refuses success.

64-bit chip that doesn't overheat ✔
ddr4 ✔
great camera ✔
great battery life ✔
fingerprint sensor ✔
nfc ✔
gyroscope ✔
top design ✔

By now I must look like a Sony PR. But seriously. It has it all. And you can choose from three sizes and even screen resolutions!

While y'all talk about fingerprint sensors and usb type-c, etc. I just want to be able to connect my Android phone to the car and have it output sound through my car speakers.

because sony does huge bezels instead of stacking part of the camera sensor behind the screen.

Have you seen an iPhone? It doesn't even have dual front speakers and the bezels are ~the same size.

In the end samsung went the right direction for the most part this year. All they have to do is correct battery life and keep going the direction of premium hardware/top camera/good size/keep reducing your software footprint.

I shit on them all the time but I always vote with my wallet. If they can pull off the near perfect phone I'll get it. I say near because it won't run stock :(

Honestly, stock gets old pretty quick. I don't mind some personality to the OS if OEM can keep things low profile, but just do it the right way please.

tmac456

bobo leaving the thread is the best news i've read all day...

moving on... Nexus 5-2 is sounding and looking really appealing. might end up selling my G4 to get one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom