• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzurri

How easy is it to transfer you iTunes library to your android phone. All my music is iTunes and if I wanted to buy a Note 5 or whatever is it a easy transfer even if it's purchased on iTunes?

data

How easy is it to transfer you iTunes library to your android phone. All my music is iTunes and if I wanted to buy a Note 5 or whatever is it a easy transfer even if it's purchased on iTunes?
I think it's just a drag and drop to your phone, so very easy

Volotaire

Why is everybody saying Z5 premium over priced? It cost about same as iPhone 6+ but with bigger storage.
iPhone 6+ 16gb = £619
Xperia Z5 premium 32gb = £629

A poster had used direct conversion of currency instead of waiting for how much the product will be priced in the particular territory, ignoring a market's barriers and laws.

gcubed

What's the difference?

The extra step of unlocking the wallet app and tapping again if you didn't have it ready. You couldn't just take your phone out and tap it to pay. Plus it looks like it's using your actual card and not your wallet fake card

giga

The extra step of unlocking the wallet app and tapping again if you didn't have it ready. You couldn't just take your phone out and tap it to pay. Plus it looks like it's using your actual card and not your wallet fake card
How do phones without biometrics (moto) work for that first part?

And this is why we need fingerprint scanners

Switching from iPhone and I'm having a pretty hard time picking out a damn Android phone. My biggest thing is battery life, also looking for decent storage (e.g., not 16 GB for base, microSD very much preferred). I also want a high-end phone in terms of construction/design.

Moto X Pure looks good but reviews don't really peg it as a high-end phone, which is something I'm looking for.
XPeria Z5 looks great but Sony seems to be twiddling their thumbs on a US release? That and I don't like the idea of a proprietary overlay, I want my first Android experience to be "pure" Android, and it's "rumored" to be ~$1000. I mean I'm all for high-end...but that's a little too high-end a price.
LG G4 looks great with its removable battery and microSD card but I don't know about durability and there's apparently rumors of a new G4 Pro in October.
Nothing really to know about the new Nexus phones other than "wait for announcement".
OnePlus Two makes me wary after all the negative talk re: durability/customer service from OnePlus One. Really doesn't strike me as a high-end phone.

Is there anything I'm missing? Since the market of Android phones is so huge it always feels like I'm not getting the full story in terms of available/upcoming phones.

stock android is over rated. Other manufacturer ad really good functionality over the plain android.

for casual user customized phones are better and give you more option.

power user like it because you can tinker with it. Problem is more tinker more bad stuff. You will get over tinker phase unless you are devoted.

get sony or samsung or lg you will be fine.

Did anyone post this yet?

SBAmFt8.jpg

Onleaks says both a 5.5 inch and a 5.7 inch have been tested. The schematics and samples we've seen must have been the 5.5 because it looked huge but it does make Sept 29 slightly more interesting

Is there an app to control on what times a day notifications will display?

I want notifications from my Outlook app during work times (for work email), but not when I leave for home. Is there an app that can time-lock notifications for select apps?

Well yeah I know it's going to be 5.7 inch because I work for a company that will sell them but maybe there could have been multiple for diff regions or something. Never know with chinese companies.

vivftp

Cross posting from the Z5 thread

Holy crap! It looks like Sony may have done a sizable price cut to these phones already:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-may-release-a-japan-only-z5-compact-premium/

On September 3, the Xperia Z5 line of phones was listed on Sony’s U.K. online store: 549 pounds (about $833) for the Z5 Compact, 599 pounds (about $909) for the Z5, and 699 pounds (about $1,060) for the Z5 Premium. The next day, those prices were knocked down to 429 pounds (about $651) for the Z5 Compact, 549 pounds (about $833) for the Z5, and 629 pounds (about $954) for the Z5 Premium, as observed by uSwitch.com.

Nikodemos

I hope there's going to be a similar price cut to their mid-range offerings as well.

I might go for an M5, since the Lumia 950 is likely to be priced way out of my pay grade.

Maiar_m

I hope that happens across Europe too. 450 euros seems to be an adequate price for the Compact.

Nah, that price in £ translates to the 599 euro price tag it's been rocking on their website from the start. 450€ and I'm buying it day one but that'll never happen ever.

edit: Beaten like stiff eggs.

Reckoner

Right now in sony's own store, twy are about the same price in euros and poinds, so I don't think it will cheaper, at least for now.

Yeah, I just checked on Sony's German store and it's still the same price. But if they price cut it to 450 euros, it will be the ultimate Deal.

kami_sama

Yeah, I just checked on Sony's German store and it's still the same price. But if they price cut it to 450 euros, it will be the ultimate Deal.

I still don't like they slashed the ram to a mere 2GB. I know they did it with the Z3C, but given there's a Z5C premium with 4GB, I don't know why they wouldn't put 3GB at least.

Reckoner

I still don't like they slashed the ram to a mere 2GB. I know they did it with the Z3C, but given there's a Z5C premium with 4GB, I don't know why they wouldn't put 3GB at least.

They should have just released the Z5C Premium and Z5 Premium and just change screen resolutions, having the same specs, like I said earlier. Just like Apple does.

There's no point in having so many models when they can please everyone with just two.

Maiar_m

They should have just released the Z5C Premium and Z5 Premium and just change screen resolutions, having the same specs, like I said earlier. Just like Apple does.

There's no point in having so many models when they can please everyone with just two.

It's already priced way too much now, so imagine how much they'd charge if it actually were perfect.

reKon

Banned

The ram is fine and 3 GB really won't make a significant difference unless you're planning on playing multiple demanding games and keeping them stored in memory. You do make a good point about the Z5C premium even though I don't give a shit about the 4 GBs of ram. There are much more important things that this smaller phone should have other than RAM. It's another story if we're talking about a tablet where you're likely to be running more apps, demanding games, and working in multiple windows at the same time.

Looking forward to next years Xperia Compact, which will actually be the perfect phone running on a SD820.

Cross posting from the Z5 thread

Holy crap! It looks like Sony may have done a sizable price cut to these phones already:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-may-release-a-japan-only-z5-compact-premium/

Guess the blowback actually worked.

Nobody fucking reads.

None of this should be a surprise to anyone at all. This is not a blowback and there was nothing final about the initial pricing for these phones. I speak from experience last year with pre ordering them from a major retailer in the UK.

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a tablet, preferably a 10" that is around $150.00 or less. Any decent tablets with good specs?

Furyous

Either this or make the Z5 QHD. Give us choices in size and resolution on the Z5C. The Z5CP is my next phone if it is available internationally or comes to the US proper. Who wants to start a petition to bring the Z5CP to the states?

Reckoner

Either this or make the Z5 QHD. Give us choices in size and resolution on the Z5C. The Z5CP is my next phone if it is available internationally or comes to the US proper. Who wants to start a petition to bring the Z5CP to the states?

I would definitely support a petition like that. But also release it in Europe.

The ram is fine and 3 GB really won't make a significant difference unless you're planning on playing multiple demanding games and keeping them stored in memory. You do make a good point about the Z5C premium even though I don't give a shit about the 4 GBs of ram. There are much more important things that this smaller phone should have other than RAM. It's another story if we're talking about a tablet where you're likely to be running more apps, demanding games, and working in multiple windows at the same time.

Looking forward to next years Xperia Compact, which will actually be the perfect phone running on a SD820.

Nobody fucking reads.

None of this should be a surprise to anyone at all. This is not a blowback and there was nothing final about the initial pricing for these phones. I speak from experience last year with pre ordering them from a major retailer in the UK.

Damnit. Hate when I get hit with nobody reads -_-

Drifters

Since the iPhone thread is garbage to get responses from--- I have to get an iPhone for work due to all of our apps being predom. iOS based... *sad face*; Which is better... the 6 or 6+? Also note, I'll just wait until the 6S or 6S+ comes out but either way, I don't care much feature wise. Phone is being purchased outright, ATT, currently using my trusty M8 developer edition.

How much am I going to hate this? :(

Reckoner

Since the iPhone thread is garbage to get responses from--- I have to get an iPhone for work due to all of our apps being predom. iOS based... *sad face*; Which is better... the 6 or 6+? Also note, I'll just wait until the 6S or 6S+ comes out but either way, I don't care much feature wise. Phone is being purchased outright, ATT, currently using my trusty M8 developer edition.

This isn't definitely the thread for that, but I would recommend you the 6S, which is the one I'm getting. The form factor of the 6+ is not good at all for the size of it. I come from a Nexus 6, and even though the size is nice for media consumption, it's not great for portability and *usability. But you'll see different opinions, so just go with what you need. There's no correct answer.

And you're not gonna hate it at all mate. It's just different.

Does anyone know whether the Blackberry Passport(android) and Venice are going to launch this year or next?
venice is this year, november.

in your situation the 6 is easily the best choice. You don't want to be lugging around a big ass phone that you don't even want to take to begin with. Might as well take the nice smaller one. Same specs. 6+ has slightly better camera. If you're waiting for the 6S then yeah get that.

And why would you hate it. iOS is gud times.

Go with the 6S, the plus doesn't do much with it's extra size. As for how much you'll hate it, probably a lot for the first week, but you'll get used to it.

Drifters

This isn't definitely the thread for that, but I would recommend you the 6S, which is the one I'm getting. The form factor of the 6+ is not good at all for the size of it. I come from a Nexus 6, and even though the size is nice for media consumption, it's not great for portability and *usability. But you'll see different opinions, so just go with what you need. There's no correct answer.

And you're not gonna hate it at all mate. It's just different.

Oh this is absolutely the best place for that information... in fact, I wouldn't trust an opinion from the iPhone thread since at least here, everyone and their mother has a love/hate relationship with Android.

EmiPrime

Probably the 6S. If you need the extra battery you can always get a battery case but if it's just for work you should be okay.

I think I actually want the new Gear S2 classic. Never thought I'd say that. The issue is selling my Tab S with LTE as I'm getting a free Tab S2 and don't need it. I think the market for used cellular android tablets is pretty low.

get
a new job.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a tablet, preferably a 10" that is around $150.00 or less. Any decent tablets with good specs?
Used Nexus 10.

The Plus is an objectively better phone with a subjective design. I'd personally get the Plus.

Used Nexus 10.

The Plus is an objectively better phone with a subjective design. I'd personally get the Plus.
it can't possible be objectively better given people's preferences on big phones vs small phones. If he said he doesn't mind big phones then I'd agree.

The Note line may be big but at least it has a stylus and reasons to be big. The big iphone is just....bigger. No real benefit unless you want to see more stuff.

reKon

Banned
I know that no one cares, but I'm going to share anyways. I would have never bought this at $400, but I was able to get this from Best Buy for $299. We will definitely see those types of prices on this tablet in the coming months.

Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Impressions

This is the lightest tablet ever held and I've read that it's currently the world's thinnest tablet. It definitely seems that way and it's pretty crazy. Because of these attributes I don't have any issues holding it and enjoy holding it more than I did the Nexus 7. The soft touch plastic and metal frame is a great combination for this device. After holding this and iPad Mini 3, I think I actually prefer handling this one. I think the thinner design just help establish that for me.

This is also my first Samsung device that runs TouchWiz. I had a Galaxy Nexus in the past... and that was a Nexus so I never had the misfortune of dealing with the software.

I don't know if it's the fact that Samsung have improved Touchwiz over the years, but I actually think it's fine and there's no reason people should be bitching about the design of it anymore (no more dark and neon green shit.. or whatever that mess was before). I did end up installing Nova launcher, but I would be completely fine with Touchwiz if I didn't have an option. I can understand that the RAM usage complaints, but even with that this device has had no noticeable issues with keeping apps in memory and multitasking.

Speaking of multitasking... it is awesome on this! This the kind of thing that makes this a better buy over the iPad Mini 2/3 unless battery life is the most important factor to you. Everything runs smooth still while running too apps thanks to the Exynos 5433.

Battery life for me so far has been decent. On the first day that I used this thing, I got 6 hours of on screen time with 13% left from medium usage. I was downloading all of my apps on WiFi, streamed Mad Max Fury from my HTPC, browsed the web while streaming on youtube using multiwindow, and played some games (not graphically intensive). With light to medium usage, I think I that anywhere from 7 - 8 hours on screen time will be the norm, but I'll have to keep using it to see. This is honestly much better than I thought it would be and if they want to maintain this thinness, I hope that they figure out how to push the battery capacity and efficiency to hit that 10 hour mark. Also, this thing barely uses any battery when idling. I think I lost maybe 1% on both nights that I've checked? That's some iOS type shit there. You need to make sure you have your settings set properly though to have the minimal drain. WiFi should be set to off unless plugged in.

The screen is amazing and reminded me that AMOLED is the truth with those rich colors and insanely deep blacks. The screen gets very bright too unlike the Asus Zenpad so that's great. There's not much more that needs to be said here. Zenpad's screen is good, but this one is simply better.

Regarding the performance, I know that me and everyone else who cares was disappointed about Samsung not including the more powerful and power efficient Exynos 7420 in here. It would have been awesome to have because it's still the best performing CPU on any phone/tablet right now (excluding Windows PCs). Despite this, the Exynos 5433 is still a beast and I feel like some of the reviewers are idiots for sharing there disappointment, but not acknowledging the fact that the Exynos 5433 is still one of the fastest tablet CPUs. That's just laziness on their part that there's not even going into details on the actual benchmark performance.It's the same CPU that was used in the Note 4, which was a strong performer. I ran Geekbench on this and below you can take the score that I got and compare to others, especially the iPad Mini 2/3, iPad Air 2, and other top android devices:

In everyday usage the tablet runs as well as the scores would suggest. I haven't noticed any lag or stutters in navigating through the OS. The only places where I would see any of that is scrolling through the Playstore sometimes, but that will happen on even the fastest devices. I've ran three games before and had the browser open with multitabs. I've noticed no slow downs while doing all this and noticed none while I was using the device and installing all my apps.

The fingerprint scanner is a great addition and I would not want to go back to a device without one (well at least with a phone - tablet I'm not as concerned with security). I'm excited that going forward, we will see this in a lot of devices. For me, I scanned both of my thumbs and index fingers and 95% of the time it works on the first press. I'm very impressed and use this whenever possible for security.

The speakers sound fine and get loud enough, but the placement of the speaker isn't so great as it''s on the bottom of the tablet rather than top and bottom, front facing. It's actually more important here than on a smartphone because I feel that you're more like to be listening to be listening iwithout headphones if you're just sitting on your couch or in bed and you don't have them by you. This is one big advantage that the Zenpad had over this tablet.

So overall, I'm really enjoying the device because of the screen, build material/feel, performance/multi window, finger print scanner, and the battery life isn't completely terrible. There's also a micro SD slot for expandable storage, which is a huge benefit over the iPad Mini series.

Things I wish the tablet had which my Nexus 7 did was a notification light and the vibration motor (not really a big deal).

Samsung has not done the front facing, dual stereo speaker set up, but it would have been really awesome for this device along with having a bigger battery (maybe 4800 mAH?) and Exynos 7420.

I think that if you can get this for $300 (which will eventually happen in a few months), this is the best Android tablet you can buy. In terms of 8 inch tablets right now, which are actually available, I think it goes like this:

1) Galaxy Tab S2 8.0
2) Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet
3) ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA)
4) Venue 7840

If battery life matters to you the most, the Xperia tablet takes the number one spot as it gets significantly better battery life than the iPad mini's. The Dell Venue would go #2.

I know that no one cares, but I'm going to share anyways. I would have never bought this at $400, but I was able to get this from Best Buy for $299. We will definitely see those types of prices on this tablet in the coming months.

Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Impressions

They dropped the dual stereo speakers from the Tab S1?

Damn. Why the hell did they do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom