• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, Gigaset announced some iPhones smartphones at IFA.

Specs look good.

Gigaset ME

5" 1080p display
Snapdragon 810 w/Adreno 430 GPU
32 GB of internal storage
microSD card slot (up to 128 GB)
16 MP rear camera
8 MP FFC
3000 mAh battery
USB Type-C port
Fingerprint reader
heart rate scanner
pedometer
UV sensor
IR blaster

ME Pro is the 5.5" version and comes with 5 GB RAM (that's not a typo) and a 4,000 mAh battery

€469

Available in UK, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Turkey, Poland and Spain

Specs and price look great, actually.

Updates and skin are big question marks, though.

Why does nothing come to the US? Do we just not buy the good phones -_-

reKon

Banned
Huh, Gigaset announced some iPhones smartphones at IFA.

Specs look good.

Gigaset ME

5" 1080p display
Snapdragon 810 w/Adreno 430 GPU
32 GB of internal storage
microSD card slot (up to 128 GB)
16 MP rear camera
8 MP FFC
3000 mAh battery
USB Type-C port
Fingerprint reader
heart rate scanner
pedometer
UV sensor
IR blaster

ME Pro is the 5.5" version and comes with 5 GB RAM (that's not a typo) and a 4,000 mAh battery

€469

Available in UK, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Turkey, Poland and Spain

Specs and price look great, actually.

Updates and skin are big question marks, though.

Except for updates and the snapdragon 810, this is the dream phone that we asked for

reKon

Banned
The updates and risky chip are a huge factor though, so except for it being a gamble you mean... ^^

they are, which is why this isn't the dream phone :(.

This is a phone that "Huawei, the new Samsung" (sorry for giving this awful site clicks) could make next year easily with an SD 820.

edit: the comments in this article delivers again, LOL. Apparently the HTC M7 had no influence on any other phone that came after it guys. It's just everyone copying the iPhone.

Negator

So I noticed last night that there's one stuck pixel on my tablet, which I just bought yesterday..

It's driving me crazy...

What are the chances that best buy lets me return this and exchange for another of the same one?

Very high. Best Buy is bleeding customers and will bend over backwards for you.

So I noticed last night that there's one stuck pixel on my tablet, which I just bought yesterday..

It's driving me crazy...

What are the chances that best buy lets me return this and exchange for another of the same one?

Just tell them that it randomly shuts off and reboots. Then ask to exchange it. They aren't going to care.

hitgirl

Doesn't the 6 have wireless charging?

Da hell. I've been trying to get this answered for like 4 weeks. Damn.

Depends.

What matter more to you? Average quality QHD OLED and great community support or Great Camera and Moto Software?

Otherwise it's a wash.

Sure does. Quick charging too.

Is it easy to get root access? Im returning this Moto X 2nd gen because it seems difficult to get root access.

Reckoner

Damn. Cheaper than the Pure...

Should I cancel my order?

I had a Nexus 6 for months, and even though it is a great phone, I would go for the Pure instead, as it should give you a better experience right out of the box. For example, the screen is garbage if you don't plan on rooting it and try to calibrate it a bit yourself. And that is a deal breaker to me, these days.

hitgirl

Ok, you win Googy. Nexus 6 bought and Moto X 2nd gen returned. Seems like I can root this phone and run custom roms easily.

Articalys

Is there some place that summarizes all the currently-used Snapdragon processors, and which ones are low-end, high-end, or have issues? All that kind of stuff flies over my head.

reKon

Banned
Is there some place that summarizes all the currently-used Snapdragon processors, and which ones are low-end, high-end, or have issues? All that kind of stuff flies over my head.

It seems like SD810 could burn you and give you cancer and the rest of them definitely won't.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium leaked teardown photo reveals dual heat pipes and thermal paste

Sony-Xperia-Z5-Premium-Dual-Heatpipes-Thermal-Paste.jpg

zewone

I had a Nexus 6 for months, and even though it is a great phone, I would go for the Pure instead, as it should give you a better experience right out of the box. For example, the screen is garbage if you don't plan on rooting it and try to calibrate it a bit yourself. And that is a deal breaker to me, these days.

Wait, what's wrong with the N6 screen?

I've had it for about 6 months as well, and I'm not seeing the problem.

Only issue I had is coming from a Note 3, the Note 3 got much brighter, but that's not always a good thing.

The Pure having a LCD display vs. N6's AMOLED, I'd have to give the screen quality to the Nexus. Plus 6" vs 5.7" if you're into that sort of thing.

The N6 is a beauty for media consumption.

Reckoner

Wait, what's wrong with the N6 screen?

I've had it for about 6 months as well, and I'm not seeing the problem.

Only issue I had is coming from a Note 3, the Note 3 got much brighter, but that's not always a good thing.

The Pure having a LCD display vs. N6's AMOLED, I'd have to give the screen quality to the Nexus. Plus 6" vs 5.7" if you're into that sort of thing.

The N6 is a beauty for media consumption.

You may get better contrast with the AMOLED, but the display on the Nexus 6 is really bad. It has rainbow effect if you look at it from the side, brightness is terrible, and it has a piss filter over it. Well, it's not actually a filter, it's just how badly calibrated it is. You can get it fixed a bit if you install a custom kernel in it and mess around with some sliders, but it's not ideal for out of the box use. And I'm used to using calibrated displays, and the oversaturation and warm colors of the Nexus 6 aren't good at all. From what I read, Sammy has the best AMOLED displays on the market, so if I ever buy a phone with that kind of display it's going to be definitely theirs until someone figures how to get it as good.

So yeah, I don't really care if a display tech is better than other, 'cause if they don't use it properly then in the end it doesn't really matter. It's like having a ultra mp sensor on the camera and then the camera being just garbage. From what I saw on videos, I definitely prefer the new Pure LCD and I'm happy that Motorola went for it if they can't get newer AMOLED displays.

-edm

Neo Member
I have a nexus 6 and the screen is more then fine. I haven't noticed a piss filter and while it's not at the level of samsungs new screens I'd take it over the pure any day. Battery life is better on the 6 as well judging from reviews of the pure, I get around 4 and a half to 5 hours SoT usually.

Reckoner

I have a nexus 6 and the screen is more then fine. I haven't noticed a piss filter and while it's not at the level of samsungs new screens I'd take it over the pure any day. Battery life is better on the 6 as well judging from reviews of the pure, I get around 4 and a half to 5 hours SoT usually.

Yeah, battery life on the Nexus 6 is perfectly fine and not bad as people said. I could get those results too, and sometimes two days with the phone turned on with no problems.

VoxPop

Damn you guys have some balls buying these Android phones from obscure phone manufacturers. The least known manufacturer I would touch is probably OnePlus and even thats not a good idea.

zewone

Damn you guys have some balls buying these Android phones from obscure phone manufacturers. The least known manufacturer I would touch is probably OnePlus and even thats not a good idea.

If it's only $300 or less, it's not that much money to risk.

Some of these Chinese phones are really nice looking (imo), but no LTE is a deal killer for me so I stay away.

yyzjohn

Banned

Why is it not a good idea? The phones still work.

Saiyan-Rox

so far i've had some stupid offers for my N6

150 Cash
Galaxy S4
Galaxy S5

Man these people are thick or must think i'm thick. this is getting to be a pain to sell i'm not even sure if I want rid of it yet have no need for it.

Not surprised those 2 phones are coming to canada but I will be surprised if it comes to a lot of carriers. Sony and Bell seem to have a lovefest going on. That's my guess.

Nexus 5-2 is this thick and the camera still somehow sticks out?
not teh 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom