• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
They dropped the dual stereo speakers from the Tab S1?

Damn. Why the hell did they do that.

Sorry, there are dual speakers, but the placement is on the bottom of the tablet instead of on the top and bottom, outward facing like the Zenpad or Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet. I just edited my post to reflect that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Good impressions, rekkon. I still think the Zenpad is for me due to front facing speakers and 4GB RAM. Super important to my uses. It sounds like your Samsung gets better battery. I'm jealous.

Two good Android tablets, then. Multitasking actually works these days.

Maiar_m

Again, Sony's Z3C Tablet is a good tablet with no downside except for skin and screen size if 8" is to small for you, and their larger-size offering probably fixes that. I wouldn't write off android tablets as a whole, it's just like the phones: it gets hard to single out the good ones among the never-ending flood it and it's impossible to try them all until you find the gold nugget. Which takes us back to why people go for i devices when they can't be bothered with all that drama.

Saiyan-Rox

Good impressions, rekkon. I still think the Zenpad is for me due to front facing speakers and 4GB RAM. Super important to my uses. It sounds like your Samsung gets better battery. I'm jealous.

Two good Android tablets, then. Multitasking actually works these days.

I was looking into the zenpad and noticed only the 2GB version is out here :(

tzare

So IFA has ended, if OEMs follow HUawei next year we can have really interesting midrange devices, not with the latest SoC but with decent cameras and Fingerprint scanner as default.
Honor 7 and G8 are really nice devices

Drifters

Used Nexus 10.

The Plus is an objectively better phone with a subjective design. I'd personally get the Plus.

ironically, I'm leaning this way given that the 6+/6S+ will have a larger battery which is something I value. Going from a 5" to a 5.5" won't be too jarring I hope. Going to play with my brother in laws 6+ to see if I like the form factor.

So IFA has ended, if OEMs follow HUawei next year we can have really interesting midrange devices, not tih the latest SoC but with decent cameras and Fingerprint scanner as default.
I'm pretty blown away that two flagships released this year without one. Actually 3 if you count HTC. I meant Motorola and LG. It's kind of baffling. If it's not in every phone in 2016.....well then.

I'm pretty blown away that two flagships released this year without one. Actually 3 if you count HTC. I meant Motorola and LG. It's kind of baffling. If it's not in every phone in 2016.....well then.

They need a reason to sell smartphones next year, when Android Pay might actually be a thing.

ironically, I'm leaning this way given that the 6+/6S+ will have a larger battery which is something I value. Going from a 5" to a 5.5" won't be too jarring I hope. Going to play with my brother in laws 6+ to see if I like the form factor.

I use a 6+ for work mostly because it fits easily into my suit's inside pocket. Absolutely hate using it when just going out casually though. Also, the battery is amazing on the 6+.

I think a 6+ for work purposes is a good choice but for personal use I'd prefer something smaller.

I use a 6+ for work mostly because it fits easily into my suit's inside pocket. Absolutely hate using it when just going out casually though. Also, the battery is amazing on the 6+.

I think a 6+ for work purposes is a good choice but for personal use I'd prefer something smaller.
I would think the opposite. If you're going to carry around two phones (work and personal), wouldn't you want the smaller one? Unless battery is a genuine concern.

I use my work phone sparingly, really only if someone calls it. Otherwise I got my work mail on my personal phone as well because I'm not about that two phone life.

Mindwipe

So IFA has ended, if OEMs follow HUawei next year we can have really interesting midrange devices, not with the latest SoC but with decent cameras and Fingerprint scanner as default.

If only IFA had ended. I'm there all day tomorrow and I'm already shattered.

General impressions:

Honor 7 is pretty nice though the skin isn't great.
Huawei Watch is much thicker than it looks on the wrist, which is a shame because it's the most attractive Android Wear watch by a mile.

The metal Gear S2 is by far and away the best smart watch anyone has made. It's really, unexpectedly brilliant and doesn't look stupid on your wrist. It's OS is nice. I'm honestly shocked Samsung made it. The sport one looks a bit cheap and shit, like most sport watches.

The Z5/Z5C are REALLY nice in the hand, the changes are great, it feels like a lovely device to hold. The back is... well it's frosted glass apparently but doesn't feel like that at all, and the new edge around the Compact is much nicer than the Z3C, making it feel more premium. The camera is also much improved, there's still a few metering issues with spot lighting, but to be fair it's pre-production software, and they're much better regardless. HDR had been shifted in the menu, but still required manual mode. Grrr.

The Z5 Premium has a gorgeous screen with great colour... that you completely can't tell is 4K. The Verge was actually right. It seemed like the back would scratch to shit to me, but there you go.

That Sony Wena watch looks completely ludicrous in person. I've seen people manacled up in bondage dungeons with lighter things on their wrists.

Didn't like the look of the Urbane in person at all.

Trying to remember if anything else Android was interesting.

Im baffled by people who carry that thing with a case. Work in an office? Better get an otterbox

Reckoner

If only IFA had ended. I'm there all day tomorrow and I'm already shattered.

General impressions:

Honor 7 is pretty nice though the skin isn't great.
Huawei Watch is much thicker than it looks on the wrist, which is a shame because it's the most attractive Android Wear watch by a mile.

The metal Gear S2 is by far and away the best smart watch anyone has made. It's really, unexpectedly brilliant and doesn't look stupid on your wrist. It's OS is nice. I'm honestly shocked Samsung made it. The sport one looks a bit cheap and shit, like most sport watches.

The Z5/Z5C are REALLY nice in the hand, the changes are great, it feels like a lovely device to hold. The back is... well it's frosted glass apparently but doesn't feel like that at all, and the new edge around the Compact is much nicer than the Z3C, making it feel more premium. The camera is also much improved, there's still a few metering issues with spot lighting, but to be fair it's pre-production software, and they're much better regardless. HDR had been shifted in the menu, but still required manual mode. Grrr.

The Z5 Premium has a gorgeous screen with great colour... that you completely can't tell is 4K. The Verge was actually right. It seemed like the back would scratch to shit to me, but there you go.

That Sony Wena watch looks completely ludicrous in person. I've seen people manacled up in bondage dungeons with lighter things on their wrists.

Didn't like the look of the Urbane in person at all.

Trying to remember if anything else Android was interesting.
Just some questions

How does the screen on the compact feel? Calibrated and colorful? Did you notice that you were using a 720p screen or was it so nice like on the iPhone that it didn't bother you at all? Anything to point out performance wise on the phones?

Mindwipe

Just some questions

How does the screen on the compact feel? Calibrated and colorful? Did you notice that you were using a 720p screen or was it so nice like on the iPhone that it didn't bother you at all? Anything to point out performance wise on the phones?

Color reproduction felt a tiny bit better than my Z3C, but to be fair that might be the absence of that over-illuminate-on-wakeup bug 5.1.1 has.

720 has never bothered me on my Z3C. But the slight reflective dot shimmer under certain lights that's apparently because of glove mode is still there. Screen felt like it gave color, but not quite S6/Z3 Premium level.

Performance seemed really nice. No undue heat.

Camera focus speed is iPhone/S6 level. Very impressed.

Ty4on

Just some questions

What is different to the iPhone screen? Are you thinking of SAMOLED screens like the Galaxy S3 where the pentile arrangement was obvious or something else?

Reckoner

Color reproduction felt a tiny bit better than my Z3C, but to be fair that might be the absence of that over-illuminate-on-wakeup bug 5.1.1 has.

720 has never bothered me on my Z3C. But the slight reflective dot shimmer under certain lights that's apparently because of glove mode is still there. Screen felt like it gave color, but not quite S6/Z3 Premium level.

Performance seemed really nice. No undue heat.

Camera focus speed is iPhone/S6 level. Very impressed.

Thank you for the impressions. The Z5 looks like a winner for 2015 Android flagships.

Btw, does the red compact look too pinky or is it actually more a cool washed out red?

Interest intensifies.

What is different to the iPhone screen? Are you thinking of SAMOLED screens like the Galaxy S3 where the pentile arrangement was obvious or something else?

With that question I referred to the iPhone because its 720p screen doesn't look like 720p, basically. It has great color reproduction and is sharp enough to look great. And it looks like the Z5C is up there too.

lol HTC trying to crash the nexus party:

htc-nexus-640x378.png

pls

I decided to buy the One Minus Two and see if I can make a profit out of it. If not, I can play with it and sell it and probably break even at worse.

The wife's Honor 7 arrived today.

Seems alright, fingerprint scanner is very fast on it. Build quality seems good, screen is nice. Performance is good, was testing it out next to my OPO and it doesn't seem any slower in real world usage.

I'm hoping mine arrives this week so I can really play about with it. If I can find a way to change the DPI I'll be a happy chappy.

Mindwipe

Seems alright, fingerprint scanner is very fast on it. Build quality seems good, screen is nice. Performance is good, was testing it out next to my OPO and it doesn't seem any slower in real world usage.

I'm hoping mine arrives this week so I can really play about with it. If I can find a way to change the DPI I'll be a happy chappy.

Yeah, fingerprint scanner on it seemed pretty good.

The graphic to set it up is hilariously stolen from iOS though, even by Huawei standards.

Yeah, fingerprint scanner on it seemed pretty good.

The graphic to set it up is hilariously stolen from iOS though, even by Huawei standards.

Definitely, still imitation is the best form of flattery I guess!

I was just going through the box and bizarrely there are two 'Honor' stickers packed in the the manual and warranty card. Which is good..... If you like putting stickers on your bike or something. :/

Ty4on

With that question I referred to the iPhone because its 720p screen doesn't look like 720p, basically. It has great color reproduction and is sharp enough to look great. And it looks like the Z5C is up there too.

That is what is so strange. What makes "iPhone 720p" look better than "regular 720p". What other 720p phones do you compare it to?

The Nexus 4 is 720p (*not really, but neither is the iPhone) and while its calibration isn't perfect the panel looks very sharp over 4.7'' and has really good contrast. Do note if you see photos taken with the screen diagonally it looks very washed out as if it has poor viewing angles. Viewing angles are much better left/right top/down and it's an IPS display so there are no color shifts. You can see a see it here.

Random YT thumbnail and I know the blacks are crushed, but it still shows how the great contrast makes it look like an OLED compared to a bad LCD. When I first unboxed mine I was really surprised at how black the navigation buttons were.

*N4 is 1280x768

Reckoner

That is what is so strange. What makes "iPhone 720p" look better than "regular 720p". What other 720p phones do you compare it to?

The Nexus 4 is 720p (*not really, but neither is the iPhone) and while its calibration isn't perfect the panel looks very sharp over 4.7'' and has really good contrast. Do note if you see photos taken with the screen diagonally it looks very washed out as if it has poor viewing angles. Viewing angles are much better left/right top/down and it's an IPS display so there are no color shifts. You can see a see it here.

Random YT thumbnail and I know the blacks are crushed, but it still shows how the great contrast makes it look like an OLED compared to a bad LCD. When I first unboxed mine I was really surprised at how black the navigation buttons were.

*N4 is 1280x768

It's calibrated. It has great color reproduction. It's sharp. It has great viewing angles. I use it as a reference because it's the best out there*.

*from what I've seen

Onleaks guy really seems to think the final huawei phone will be 5.5 instead of 5.7 But same dimensions. Which mean those bezels are massive. Which is a shame because huawei usually has a nice bezel game on their bigger phones.

Not that it matters, nexus 5-2 is where it's at.

Also curious to see what the reasoning is for the weird hump.

OUVsdcr.jpg

Mindwipe

Definitely, still imitation is the best form of flattery I guess!

I was just going through the box and bizarrely there are two 'Honor' stickers packed in the the manual and warranty card. Which is good..... If you like putting sockets on your bike or something. :/

Lol, really?

You know who else put two stickers of their logo in every phone box?

Guess.

Onleaks guy really seems to think the final huawei phone will be 5.5 instead of 5.7 But same dimensions. Which mean those bezels are massive. Which is a shame because huawei usually has a nice bezel game on their bigger phones.

Not that it matters, nexus 5-2 is where it's at.

Also curious to see what the reasoning is for the weird hump.

OUVsdcr.jpg

the wildest speculation i saw was ... Project Tango!

tzare

Antutu score if you could. Just for reference. Have you tried to use fingerprint scanner gestures? Works well?
Btw if on android 5.X , does huawei's UI still have double top slide panel one with notifications and other with settings?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom