• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

A couple of weeks ago we reported that Samsung is conducting intensive testing on the Snapdragon 820 but the latest from Weibo suggests that Samsung is not only doing that, but it is apparently the first in doing so. While the tech company used Exynos 7420 for its last generation of flagship devices it is rumored that the next one might arrive in two versions: one with an Exynos chipset and one with a Snapdragon 820 SoC instead. It also seems that Samsung has expanded the team working on testing and optimizing mobile chipsets for its flagship devices to ensure that the next generation is absolutely top-notch.

Ty4on

Aren't their chips very good already? I wonder why they are thinking on getting a SD version again.

They were forced to use ARM cores last gen because they were caught off guard by the introduction of 64bit. That's a big part of why the S810 lagged behind as they couldn't use their own cores (which have in the past been better than ARM's) and Samsung had a lead in process technology with the 7430.

One worrying trend though is that the S810 GPU was less efficient than the S805 GPU despite that being a Qualcomm design. I'm guessing they were pushing it to hard knowing most just run benches once and that Samsung had a process advantage. The S810 has to my knowledge the fastest GPU on any phone before it throttles.

Apart from Qualcomm, Apple and Nvidia (only with the Denver core which was a flop) everybody uses stock ARM cores which is why CPU performance is so similar. A depressing amount of differentiation is "optimizations" or cheats that detect benches.

No Love

Banned
Just picked up an LG G4 as a temporary phone until new stuff comes out next month (then I'll probably give it to my bro.) Did I goof, GAF?

Just picked up an LG G4 as a temporary phone until new stuff comes out next month (then I'll probably give it to my bro.) Did I goof, GAF?
yes you did if you used an upgrade on a phone you won't have a month from now but I guess your bro will benefit so it's not a total loss

No Love

Banned
Why would it be a goof? The only real issue the phone has is their shitty UI.

Yeah and no good custom ROM's it looks like... d'oh! Oh well, not a deal breaker. Phone seems pretty damn good from the factory.

yes you did if you used an upgrade on a phone you won't have a month from now but I guess your bro will benefit so it's not a total loss

I just signed up for a new contract with T-Mobile. I figured if something better comes along, I can add another line and just buy that phone.

I was gonna go get a Nexus 6 for $400 but the G4 was only $80 more and the screen seems to be WAY better than the Nexus 6. Nexus 6 screen looks really... weird. It has a really orange/yellow tint. Not to mention it has a removable battery and SD card slot... two things my brother and I both appreciate.

BTW this is unexpectedly one of my favorite threads to read recently. The venom, anger, and in-fighting is absolutely hilarious/somewhat brutal.

BTW this is unexpectedly one of my favorite threads to read recently. The venom, anger, and in-fighting is absolutely hilarious/somewhat brutal.
it's pretty easy when so many people are wrong about so many things :p

Also get the nexus 5-2 when it comes out in a month give or take. You're welcome.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yo how come we know everything about lg but not about huawei

No Love

Banned
it's pretty easy when so many people are wrong about so many things :p

Also get the nexus 5-2 when it comes out in a month give or take. You're welcome.

Nexus 5-2 sounds good BUT I had a Nexus 5 that I got the first month. Speaker went out, battery died quick, but I loved everything else about it... kinda on the fence due to that.

giga

lenovo-phab-plus.png

lol

reKon

Banned
So this happened to my baby:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/magnetic-charging-port-loose/td-p/922365

I'm going to try to send this in tomorrow. Because I imported it from the UK, the process may take longer. Apparently some people have had bad luck and Sony was going to charge them over $100 for repairs because they didn't consider it a manufacturer defect... Fuck outta here with that, lol. I think I saw another user said that Sony just replaced his phone as it was under warranty. As good as a phone this is, it's shame about the issues with the glass cracking while laying on a table or loose magnetic connectors (I think the glass is more widespread). These are too expensive of devices for them to have be having these issues.

I bought mine on September 19th so I pretty much have to get this in ASAP.

Don't fucking disappoint me Sony

lolol

Onleaks guy really seems to think the final huawei phone will be 5.5 instead of 5.7 But same dimensions. Which mean those bezels are massive. Which is a shame because huawei usually has a nice bezel game on their bigger phones.

Not that it matters, nexus 5-2 is where it's at.

Also curious to see what the reasoning is for the weird hump.

OUVsdcr.jpg

That's just terrible.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope the next Nexus is code named HE HATE ME

daoster

Just used Android Pay at Rite Aid and Sprouts. Works quickly and painlessly, and since I'm one of those obnoxious people who has the phone in their hand while waiting to buy shit, using Android Pay is actually quicker than me taking out my wallet and looking for my card.

Hopefully, my purchases are coded properly though. am excited for the full reveal.

EDIT: Also, hopefully Chase will support Android Pay.

Bboy AJ

Seems like a nice case. I wish there were a big ass battery case for the phone that was as elegant as a Morphie is for the iphone.

Reckoner

Seems like a nice case. I wish there were a big ass battery case for the phone that was as elegant as a Morphie is for the iphone.

Didn't know about those Morphie cases. But by looking at the price, they may be cool, but not $100+ cool. Anker offers similar quality products with good design at half the price or even less.

The phone is already a monster why the hell would you want a battery case.

That's the issue. It's a real nice and protective case but it makes the phone just a tad too big to fit in my pocket (yes I wear slim fit jeans, come at me) :p

If anyone has a N6 and wants it let me know, you can have it for free and I'll pay the couple bucks to ship it too.

That's the issue. It's a real nice and protective case but it makes the phone just a tad too big to fit in my pocket (yes I wear slim fit jeans, come at me) :p

If anyone has a N6 and wants it let me know, you can have it for free and I'll pay the couple bucks to ship it too.
I just snagged an N6 on Saturday and was looking at those, I have the same type for my galaxy. If you still have it I'll take it, I'll pm my address in the morning.

Bboy AJ

The phone is already a monster why the hell would you want a battery case.
Because I am a based god

Didn't know about those Morphie cases. But by looking at the price, they may be cool, but not $100+ cool. Anker offers similar quality products with good design at half the price or even less.
Both own what's out for the N6

Antutu score if you could. Just for reference. Have you tried to use fingerprint scanner gestures? Works well?
Btw if on android 5.X , does huawei's UI still have double top slide panel one with notifications and other with settings?

Thanks!

Antutu 5.7.1 64bit with power saver set to performance = 52456

Fingerprint gestures work fine.

Notification still has the notification/settings split (I do like their notification panel which tells you what time that something came in)

tzare

Antutu 5.7.1 64bit with power saver set to performance = 52456

Fingerprint gestures work fine.

Notification still has the notification/settings split (I do like their notification panel which tells you what time that something came in)

WOw, really awesome score. didn't expect that.
How is battery life? And Camera?

Thanks for the info may buy one too for my wife too as a replacement for her GS4

WOw, really awesome score. didn't expect that.
How is battery life? And Camera?

Thanks for the info may buy one too for my wife too as a replacement for her GS4

Can't really comment on the battery as she only had it about 12hrs.

Same with the camera, haven't had chance to try out any decent shots yet. Although she is a big fan of the selfie mode: turn up beauty mode to 10 and it smooths your skin and also slims in your jaw/cheek areas.

Same with the camera, haven't had chance to try out any decent shots yet. Although she is a big fan of the selfie mode: turn up beauty mode to 10 and it smooths your skin and also slims in your jaw/cheek areas.
Good grief, an integrated "auto" photoshop light for selfies? Can't wait for all the "#nomakeup" "#allnatural" selfies with this crap...
That's why we can't have nice things, this stuff really sounds like a feature Apple would do for the next iPhone.

tzare

Can't really comment on the battery as she only had it about 12hrs.

No rush, thanks! just post impressions in a few days or when you get yours. Fingerprint scanner, decent specs, not too big and nice battery is what i am looking for, and if price is good what else can i ask for!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom