• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
still don't know. Old leak said yes, this leak says "probably not".

What a super disappointing year it is for phones.

There we have the Nexus 5 coming back and it's bigger, uglier and more expensive than before, while offering nothing compelling in exchange for all these trade-offs.

The bright side is next year we'll have potentially a good war of flagships with qualcomm back on its game (one would assume) and everyone with something to prove.

But yeah I wouldn't keep any phone that came out this year longer than a year. And thankfully my upgrade year is 2016.

tzare

There we have the Nexus 5 coming back and it's bigger, uglier and more expensive than before, while offering nothing compelling in exchange for all these trade-offs.

well, we are really at that point that there haven't been huge improvements in the hw department. Performance is really great for most SoCs, 2GB ram for midrange devices, really decent cameras. FInger print scanner seems to be a thing too so it is really hard to objective reasons to upgrade. Maybe battery life is the weakest point but no huge improvements so far.
Even touch force screens on huawei devices hasn't made people excited (will be a thing when apple does it though)

Maybe next year 14nm SoCs will be a decent improvement and not a marginal one

FInger print scanner seems to be a thing too so it is really hard to objective reasons to upgrade. Maybe battery life
Don't tell that to LG/Moto :p

But yeah the main battles left are battery life and of course, design. Remember my deal samsung, remember it. Release a near identical S7 (keep scaling back touchwiz) with a 3000mah battery and I promise I'll get it.

When I say 'design' I mean where the scanner is, bezels, offering a lineup with equal specs (normal sized and phablet instead of one size fits all) etc...

I think it's a bit of a gamble with Qualcomms' SoC next year ... or at least to assume that they got their crap together (hopefully). It's not that anyone expected the 810 to be a massive downer, right?

Still planning to get the N5-2 ... while my trusty N5 2013 is going strong, the battery shows it's age, although i do get about a day with medium SoT/use.

I'm just hoping that Qualcomm doesn't slack off in 2017 for the next next phone then. ^^

tzare

Don't tell that to LG/Moto :p

But yeah the main battles left are battery life and of course, design. Remember my deal samsung, remember it. Release a near identical S7 (keep scaling back touchwiz) with a 3000mah battery and I promise I'll get it.

yes, hopefully LG and Moto will feel the pressure now that is not only samsung/apple using them.
Especially Huawei pushing it for midrange devices seems the way many 'casual' smartphone users consider it a factor when buying next phone and becomes next mainstream smartphone feature

I think it's a bit of a gamble with Qualcomms' SoC next year ... or at least to assume that they got their crap together
we will have to wait 6 months for that :( Well at least according to sammobile 820 is being tested so hopefully this time will be ok. At least 14nm will help a bit with heating...

I'll stick with my note 4, until then, and if no real improvements, new battery and wait for 2017 xD

I think it's a bit of a gamble with Qualcomms' SoC next year ... or at least to assume that they got their crap together (hopefully). It's not that anyone expected the 810 to be a massive downer, right?

Still planning to get the N5-2 ... while my trusty N5 2013 is going strong, the battery shows it's age, although i do get about a day with medium SoT/use.

I'm just hoping that Qualcomm doesn't slack off in 2017 for the next next phone then. ^^
the 820 is supposed to be the next huge bump for qualcomm. The GPU I think sees a 40% improvement and also the move to 14nm FinFET. The fact that it looks like samsung wants it in their S7 should say enough.

5-2 looks good to me but that's knowing I'll only have it for one year. Also if they go QHD....just no :(

Jigolo

the 820 is supposed to be the next huge bump for qualcomm. The GPU I think sees a 40% improvement and also the move to 14nm FinFET. The fact that it looks like samsung wants it in their S7 should say enough.
More importantly they are using their own custom design....... So they actually know what the fuck they are doing.

Yeah, i'm all in for a top notch SoC, if the quality, the efficiency and the power fit, i even might use the N5-2 as a stop-gap-phone (like i did with the N4, still a charming phone <3).

I'd love to know if Google is going for yearly updates for both Nexus phones, as N5 skipped 2014 yet the N6 is getting a refresh already.

well, we are really at that point that there haven't been huge improvements in the hw department. Performance is really great for most SoCs, 2GB ram for midrange devices, really decent cameras. FInger print scanner seems to be a thing too so it is really hard to objective reasons to upgrade. Maybe battery life is the weakest point but no huge improvements so far.
Even touch force screens on huawei devices hasn't made people excited (will be a thing when apple does it though)

Maybe next year 14nm SoCs will be a decent improvement and not a marginal one

I understand that we're going to see little improvements. For me, what matters these days is wireless charging, design and battery. That's the only reason I'd upgrade. The first point is particularly stupid, because it limits my options immensely. But I really don't want to give it up. The speed and general performance of my Nexus 5 is great and I wouldn't need an update in that regard. It helps that I'm not playing any games on my phone, so whatever GPU improvements are coming are irrelevant to me.

hitgirl

My Nexus 6 hasn't even shipped. I like how Amazon treats non prime members as criminals.

Anyways, random complaint of the day..

Will the Nexus 6 fit OK in my back pocket? I'm looking forward to try it out as I sometimes in a pinch have to work on my phone and the extra screen real estate is something I occasionally wished I had with my current 4.7" screen. Although I don't really like being the person who needs to put their phone on the table because it's too big for their pocket. I might just get in a habit of leaving phone in car while at a restaurant.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It's a mid range phone. It shouldn't necessarily have a premium build.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Here's the thing. The only reason the 810 is a cluster fuck is the heat which means phones throttle.

In terms of real world performance you aren't gonna suddenly notice next year's Snap 820 has a 40% faster GPU for general usage.

Unless your a heavy gamer or have a stupid ass 4k screen you won't really notice. Virtually all of the 8XX chipsets from Qualcomm should be virtually indistinguishable if you are just watching YouTube or texting your hoes back.

My Nexus 6 hasn't even shipped. I like how Amazon treats non prime members as criminals.

Anyways, random complaint of the day..

Will the Nexus 6 fit OK in my back pocket? I'm looking forward to try it out as I sometimes in a pinch have to work on my phone and the extra screen real estate is something I occasionally wished I had with my current 4.7" screen. Although I don't really like being the person who needs to put their phone on the table because it's too big for their pocket. I might just get in a habit of leaving phone in car while at a restaurant.

This depends entirely on the pants you wear, a nexus 6 can fit in my front pocket but I wear pretty baggy pants.

Here's the thing. The only reason the 810 is a cluster fuck is the heat which means phones throttle.

In terms of real world performance you aren't gonna suddenly notice next year's Snap 820 has a 40% faster GPU for general usage.

Unless your a heavy gamer or have a stupid ass 4k screen you won't really notice. Virtually all of the 8XX chipsets from Qualcomm should be virtually indistinguishable if you are just watching YouTube or texting your hoes back.

I've said the same before. In terms of real world use the differences are pretty negligible. Design and battery are definitely more important than SoC.

Hasney

Nah, the 810 (and 808 for that matter, but like the heat, a lesser case because of lesser power) was pretty damn inefficient as well. Using the standard ARM stuff is a bit of a bugger on the battery. The 820 should in theory be kinder on batteries even with more power if they do as good a job on those cores as they did on the 32 bit ones.

So what you're saying is your phone will probably be fast enough for a full two years? Who knew.

I wear tight-ish work pants/jeans and it still fits. It really depends on how big YOU are.

This is pretty much true

Hasney

The N6 fits in any pockets I own, bar these stupid pants I once bought that had the shallowest pockets ever and could barely even fit a 5" phone.

hitgirl

I wear tight-ish work pants/jeans and it still fits. It really depends on how big YOU are.

AH really. I have giant legs from squatting. But wear pants with pretty big "seats". We shall see. I'm for sure not going to be able to sit on this phone, which I usually do. Windows phones.. they suck but are built like tanks.

SimleuqiR

Render to compare to nexus 5 (the render of the 5-2 is apparently legit other than the button placement which should be a bit further down):
eMf3AXv.jpg

Looks thinner.
They could have kept the same thickness and given us a bigger batt.

Vanillalite

So what you're saying is your phone will probably be fast enough for a full two years? Who knew.

In theory your phone should be good enough to last 5 years+ if you have a 8XX chipset.*

*Just counting general performance not battery, wear and tear, new features like fingerprint ect...

So I was going to Atlanta this weekend and decided to ship my phone over there. Turns out her leasing office is closed on Sundays and she wouldn't get it until today...

I just canceled the order but now it's 9-10 days until it's restocked on Amazon ;___;

Why doesn't Best Buy have the white version? I could use my movers coupon and save even more money..

Vanillalite

Lol

Verizon talking about 5G bring gig a bit mobile internet. Fails to talk about how everyone has like sub 10 gigs of data total.

Vanillalite

Not conflicting. The 5.5 number comes from an import manifest for India. It's not accurate. Artem, of AndroidPolice, debunked it also.

Yes conflicting.

Onleaks and some others have said both a 5.5 and a 5.7 were tested and Onleaks still saying his sources say it's 5.5. That was as of yesterday BTW days after the manifest.

So no it's not clear and still conflicting.

Wreav

Banned
I wish the apple event was today. Pretty bored at work.

This is now the Apple Event thread.

What are you most looking forward to? I'm really curious to see all the Force Touch specific 2nd functions throughout the OS, like long pressing WiFi, etc. So close to Android parity in that regard, finally.

Vanillalite

Most interested in the camera both in terms of physical looks ie will it still protrude and how the camera in general is since they are making the jump to 12MP.

I'm also interested to see if they add OIS to both phones this time around.

On top of that I want to know if Apple finally jumps to 2 gigs of RAM standard for all their devices.

SimleuqiR

This is now the Apple Event thread.

What are you most looking forward to? I'm really curious to see all the Force Touch specific 2nd functions throughout the OS, like long pressing WiFi, etc. So close to Android parity in that regard, finally.

If it's not the Apple Event thread, it's not the Apple Event thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom