• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like Google is doing anything interesting or good with Android since 5.0 that lets me crave for OS updates. Android also has random glitches and shit, just like any other OS.

A Bayern fan with bad taste. What a twist.
I mean samsung won't even update touchwiz to fix anything as well. You just won't get anything. I don't even think they're doing the promised security updates tbh. Haven't gotten shit on my phone in forever. Android does have glitches on its own. Android + touchwiz is a whole other beast.

I mean samsung won't even update touchwiz to fix anything as well. You just won't get anything. I don't even think they're doing the promised security updates tbh. Haven't gotten shit on my phone in forever. Android does have glitches on its own. Android + touchwiz is a whole other beast.

I guess I have to experience it myself. But I'm used to compromised phones in exchange for wireless charging.

So dumb.

Speaking of the Nexus 5X, in Germany, Google is selling the 5X for 349€ and 399€ at the moment, which is far more reasonable than the 429€ and 479€ they were asking for.

Shame about the size and lack of wireless charging.

The fuck, I'm still seeing €429 and €479 in Finland. Fuck Google.

They should have lowered the price before the holidays so I could have had some phone upgrades for my family.

Sooner or later Samsung is going to need to come to the realization that after-purchase care and support for their customers is more important than getting people to notice you at first. Samsung screwed S5 owners by not giving them the great new software that the S6 came with (In comparison to old TouchWiz) and they'll probably do the same with S6 owners. Not to mention the fact that they're terrible when it comes to updating phones and they keep a deathgrip on people being able to develop or use custom software on them in place of their failed support.

When you buy an iPhone you know Apple has your back if something goes wrong down the road, and that they'll be updating and supporting it for years. When you buy a Samsung Phone you're nothing more than a statistic at that point and Samsung couldn't give two shits about you after the purchase period.

When you buy an iPhone you know Apple has your back if something goes wrong down the road, and that they'll be updating and supporting it for years. When you buy a Samsung Phone you're nothing more than a statistic at that point and Samsung couldn't give two shits about you after the purchase period.

Lol @ Apple's "support". It means they'll give you an iOS update to your old phone that slows it down so much you're pretty much forced to upgrade to a newer phone. No downgrades!

Nexus is the way to go. Marshmallow is the best thing to happen to Android in a long time, even my crappy Nexus 5 battery life got pretty good. It's a shame Google screwed everyone outside America hard with the prices of the newest things, but if that 5X price drop is actually happening here too, I may consider an upgrade.

Lol @ Apple's "support". It means they'll give you an iOS update to your old phone that slows it down so much you're pretty much forced to upgrade to a newer phone. No downgrades!

Nexus is the way to go. Marshmallow is the best thing to happen to Android in a long time, even my crappy Nexus 5 battery life got pretty good. It's a shame Google screwed everyone outside America hard with the prices of the newest things, but if that 5X price drop is actually happening here too, I may consider an upgrade.
marshmallow aint doin shit for my nexus 9

EmiPrime

iPhone 6+ users are in for a world of pain what with 1GB RAM and that super high internal res. You just know an iOS update will butcher it overnight. 6S users should be safe for a few years however.

I mean, it varies by device but my brothers are both using iPhone 5's without many complaints and my iPhone 5S from 2013 runs iOS 9 excellently. Hell my father is using an iPhone 3GS still and while it doesn't get updates anymore he doesn't have much to complain about and hasn't felt the need to get a new phone.

But I was also referring to support like if the phone has hardware issues. With Apple you get some of the best customer support in the country and can go to an Apple Store or have them said you overnight Fedex shipping for the package. With Samsung, or really any Android OEM the experience just isn't comparable.

EmiPrime

But I was also referring to support like if the phone has hardware issues. With Apple you get some of the best customer support in the country and can go to an Apple Store or have them said you overnight Fedex shipping for the package. With Samsung, or really any Android OEM the experience just isn't comparable.

This is very true. Even Nexus phones from the Google Store have shitty support.

So idk what to do, buy the nexus 6p or wait it out more. My current phone (Lg G2) still works okay,but the thought of a new phone is enticing. Also, if i buy the 6p and the new phones out are reported to have Snapdragon 820, while 6p has 810. And maybe the next nexus may allow SD cards. Idk :(

bluethree

so I ended up going with the note edge and battery life aside Im pretty happy so far. I got a really good deal by switching carriers (230 bought up front), and even if I have to buy a spare battery it still ends up being really cheap. I really wanted the Note 4 but they dont have it here in Japan :/ guess the edge mustve bombed hard here or something but samsung's loss is my gain!

So idk what to do, buy the nexus 6p or wait it out more. My current phone (Lg G2) still works okay,but the thought of a new phone is enticing. Also, if i buy the 6p and the new phones out are reported to have Snapdragon 820, while 6p has 810. And maybe the next nexus may allow SD cards. Idk :(

The 6p is still a great phone even with 820 phones on the market.

If you can find a 6p at a good price go for it. If you're going to pay full price, you're going to have to decide if the nexus experience (updates) are worth it compared to other phones.

Any phone outside of the nexus with the 810 isn't worth it unless it's heavily discounted.

The new nexus should only come out at the end of the year, with the release of the newest version of Android.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Whats the best used phone I can get in the 150-200 range? Is there any gaffers selling a Nexus 5 32GB equivalent or better in that price range?

My son wants a phone and I'll likely oblige as an early bday present.

Bloodember

Nexus will never get SD card support.

So dispite nearly ordering a Nexus 6p I decided against it an stayed with my Turbo for awhile. I don't have marshmallow but the phone is as zippy as the day I got it and still has great battery life. I guess the problem is I haven't been able to really play with a 6P to convince me sence they aren't really available in stores.

Drifters

So dispite nearly ordering a Nexus 6p I decided against it an stayed with my Turbo for awhile. I don't have marshmallow but the phone is as zippy as the day I got it and still has great battery life. I guess the problem is I haven't been able to really play with a 6P to convince me sence they aren't really available in stores.

In other news I just bought my 6p... WTF is wrong with you, go back to www.google.com/nexus and order it now!

VoxPop

Is the 6P still the Android hotness?

Haven't been keeping up at all with tech news. It's that time of year again and I'm looking to switch over from iOS for a little bit till September'ish.

Haven't been keeping up at all with tech news. It's that time of year again and I'm looking to switch over from iOS for a little bit till September'ish.

At this exact moment I would say yes along with the Note 5. Wait a few months though as MWC is right around the corner and we will get SD 820 phones.

For the time being, yes. But the 6P is last years' tech. Plus is OS updates/security patches.

How are the BLU phones? Are they any good? I got my eye on the Vivo XL phone

Probably the best quality/price ratio for the US market. Good performance and build quality, they won't however get a lot of updates (they will get Android M though).

What are the pros and cons of encrypting my device? Would there be a legit reason for me to not do it?
I thought encryption caused performance issues on Android. Well I mean I'm not sure if it still does but I remember it being a big issue when the Nexus 6 originally came out, although my N5X is performing fine.

Whats the best used phone I can get in the 150-200 range? Is there any gaffers selling a Nexus 5 32GB equivalent or better in that price range?

My son wants a phone and I'll likely oblige as an early bday present.
I'm not sure if 16GB's is sufficient for his needs but Best Buy is selling a brand new Nexus 5 (Red though) for $210. I'd say it's probably the best phone in that price area just for the better software experience over a Blu budget phone.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-nexu...-red/8297713.p?id=1219322453386&skuId=8297713

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I thought encryption caused performance issues on Android. Well I mean I'm not sure if it still does but I remember it being a big issue when the Nexus 6 originally came out, although my N5X is performing fine.

I'm not sure if 16GB's is sufficient for his needs but Best Buy is selling a brand new Nexus 5 (Red though) for $210. I'd say it's probably the best phone in that price area just for the better software experience over a Blu budget phone.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-nexu...-red/8297713.p?id=1219322453386&skuId=8297713
Thanks, shame it doesn't have expansion. I have a 32gb N5 and it does the job but I do wish it had expansion.

Hasney

Just saw the galaxy gear s2 in person and fell in love with the design. What's the consensus on it? Is tizen a con???

I have an LG G4.

Depends what you want from it. The apps aren't great or in number, but on my Android Wear device, I use like 2 apps anyway. If you just want notifications and music control on your wrist, it's as good as any Android Wear device. But if it's more expensive than other watches still, unless you really want the look of it, I wouldn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom