• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
How do you hide developer settings menu in android 6.0?

Ever since I switched it on on my nexus 6p, I find it difficult to connect to Chromebook via USB. Even switching off developer mode does not help.

Saiyan-Rox

How do you hide developer settings menu in android 6.0?

Ever since I switched it on on my nexus 6p, I find it difficult to connect to Chromebook via USB. Even switching off developer mode does not help.

Making it appear won't do anything to the phone either but if you still want to hide it

App> all apps > find the settings app > Clear data

3phemeral

Does anyone here still use the original Moto X?

After installing 5.1.1, there seems to be a weird lockscreen glitch where unlocking the device will show nothing but a black screen. Makes it seem like it's not responding but you can actually swipe down the notification bat, head into settings, press home and it works fine.

I've already factory reset and the same issue happens. No clue why it happens, though, other than just unlocking the device as you normally would.

Also, seems like Moto Voice isn't nearly as accurate as it used to be. Way more incorrect interpretations than I've ever experienced prior to the 5.1.1 update. Not like this, Moto.

Is there any way i can buy need for speed most wanted on my lg g3? It keeps saying it is not compatible with your phone on play store. I hate this. This game is on sale for 11 cents. My kid would love it.

3phemeral

Is there any way i can buy need for speed most wanted on my lg g3? It keeps saying it is not compatible with your phone on play store. I hate this. This game is on sale for 11 cents. My kid would love it.

Have you tried buying it via PC browser? I used to do this for apps that weren't compatible to take advantage of sales because I knew I'd eventually have a device that would be able to run it.

3phemeral

will i be able to install it though?

edit: it still won't let me buy wtf. says not compatible with all of your device. fuck this lol.

That's weird. You should be able to at least buy it. And no, you won't be able to install; not unless you find someplace that has the apk and even then, some apps can detect what phone you're using and will prevent usage.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly buying it by adding your account to someone else who can install it. Then if it receives a patch you'll be able to play it in the future.

Maybe someone else can help.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone here know anything about Google Local Guides?

I was wondering how many points you get for answering questions. Google tells me you get points for answering, but doesn't tell me how many.

Like is it one point per answer? I highly doubt it. 1 point per 10? Maybe 1 point per place no matter how many questions?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone here know anything about Google Local Guides?

I was wondering how many points you get for answering questions. Google tells me you get points for answering, but doesn't tell me how many.

Like is it one point per answer? I highly doubt it. 1 point per 10? Maybe 1 point per place no matter how many questions?

They vary depending on a lot of factors. If it's a place with little info, the questions and pictures are worth a lot more. In general though I think it's 1 per question, 2 per photo. Haven't looked in a few weeks, but it asked me a lot in December.

Vanillalite

I love how it's the same stock questions.

That makes it stupid as fuck but funny.

Like no Little Caesers isn't a romantic place, and no it isn't a good place for singles to meet singles.

LoL

RJM77

What were the issues with the Nexus 9 that made you think that? Just curious. Still holding off on the Pixel C because my 9 has been so bad.

It refreshes like crazy, especially while web browsing, so multitasking is so frustrating. I also chromecast from YouTube a lot, and if I leave the YouTube app and check email or use a web browser I lose connection with the Chromecast - videos are still playing on the TV but I need to reconnect to it to get back into the queue.
Add to that the pretty terrible build quality with light bleed gallore.
Nexus 9 was pretty expensive when released, and with that price you expect not to have these kinds of issues.

I haven't had any of these problems with the Pixel C, and I haven't had WiFi or Bluetooth issues either. The build quality matches the price - no light bleed, no flexible back. So for me I feel like I got what I paid for.

ukas

It refreshes like crazy, especially while web browsing, so multitasking is so frustrating. I also chromecast from YouTube a lot, and if I leave the YouTube app and check email or use a web browser I lose connection with the Chromecast - videos are still playing on the TV but I need to reconnect to it to get back into the queue.
Add to that the pretty terrible build quality with light bleed gallore.
Nexus 9 was pretty expensive when released, and with that price you expect not to have these kinds of issues.

I haven't had any of these problems with the Pixel C, and I haven't had WiFi or Bluetooth issues either. The build quality matches the price - no light bleed, no flexible back. So for me I feel like I got what I paid for.

Pretty much. I think the major problem with 9 is that it just doesn't have enough RAM.

Activated Project Fi on my Nexus 6 the other day and loving it.

I installed the app Radio Control that automatically disables cellular radio when connected to WiFi and am getting a significant battery boost from that.

Anyone have any Fi tips and tricks?

reKon

Banned
You guys should start considering Chinese windows and android tablets, especially if you spend most of your time browsing the web. The only downfall is obviously support and resale of the devices would be tough.

The build quality is very nice though and $200-$300 gets you a lot of good shit.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
who wants some Perfume?

Powered by Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, and skinned with HTC’s Sense 8.0 UI, the 5.1-inch Perfume was tipped as the company’s first global release to offer a 1440 x 2560 QHD display — which looked to be of the AMOLED variety, according to the person who saw it. Additionally, it will also be HTC’s first widely-distributed flagship device to offer a fingerprint scanner, embedded in a Samsung Galaxy-like home button.

Internally, the phone was said to run Qualcomm’s latest top-of-the-line silicon, the Snapdragon 820 system-on-a-chip with Adreno 530 graphics. In terms of memory, VentureBeat was told that it had 4GB of RAM, and 23GB of free internal storage (supplemented by a microSD slot) — which implies 32GB total, minus operating system and other preloaded software.

Imaging is perhaps the one area in which reviewers have traditionally been the most critical of HTC’s best efforts each year. After experimenting with a so-called four UltraPixel resolution in 2014’s One M8, and swinging back to a more traditional 20-megapixel sensor in its One M9 successor, HTC has apparently decided to give its homegrown technology another shot.

Perfume features a 12-UltraPixel resolution, along with laser-assisted autofocus. Both the rear and front-facing lenses (whose accompanying sensor’s resolution was not specified) were revealed to offer optical image stabilization.

One important omission, sure to disappoint regular HTC customers, is the absence of a branded Boomsound audio experience. Other than the lack of front-facing stereo speakers, though, no details were shared on the quality of sound offered.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/28/h...-display-laser-assisted-12-ultrapixel-camera/

Activated Project Fi on my Nexus 6 the other day and loving it.

I installed the app Radio Control that automatically disables cellular radio when connected to WiFi and am getting a significant battery boost from that.

Anyone have any Fi tips and tricks?

Is the app just called "Radio Control?" I did a search in the Play Store and couldn't find it.

And sorry, I don't really have any non-obvious tips... :/

That's weird. You should be able to at least buy it. And no, you won't be able to install; not unless you find someplace that has the apk and even then, some apps can detect what phone you're using and will prevent usage.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly buying it by adding your account to someone else who can install it. Then if it receives a patch you'll be able to play it in the future.

Maybe someone else can help.

Thank you so much for your help. in one aspect it is good that they outright say that this might not work. This will prevent lot of complaints on the other hand when you know thing works on your phone using apk it feels odd not to have it from play store. Once again thank you man. We tried.

You guys should start considering Chinese windows and android tablets, especially if you spend most of your time browsing the web. The only downfall is obviously support and resale of the devices would be tough.

The build quality is very nice though and $200-$300 gets you a lot of good shit.
Another tablet that I show to others and have to explain who the company is.

Saiyan-Rox

ah fuck I was wondering why that hadn't updated in a while

It's actually pretty sickning what happened. Check the ROM's G+ page and see right at the top.

TL;DR version is basically people were getting pissy his sources were closed and calling him a thief for kanging other people's features. so a load of them bombarded him in his threads for answers then questioned where his ROM should be and eventually he just quit.

Such a piss take his work was great. He was the first one to get a decent build on the Nexus 5 and updated regularly. fast forward to today and he supported nearly every Nexus phone even though he didn't have them and they all worked grand.

It's actually pretty sickning what happened. Check the ROM's G+ page and see right at the top.

TL;DR version is basically people were getting pissy his sources were closed and calling him a thief for kanging other people's features. so a load of them bombarded him in his threads for answers then questioned where his ROM should be and eventually he just quit.

Such a piss take his work was great. He was the first one to get a decent build on the Nexus 5 and updated regularly. fast forward to today and he supported nearly every Nexus phone even though he didn't have them and they all worked grand.

don't support kangers.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
But if he stole it... Then forget that guy.

ito007

Does anyone here still use the original Moto X?

After installing 5.1.1, there seems to be a weird lockscreen glitch where unlocking the device will show nothing but a black screen. Makes it seem like it's not responding but you can actually swipe down the notification bat, head into settings, press home and it works fine.

I've already factory reset and the same issue happens. No clue why it happens, though, other than just unlocking the device as you normally would.

Also, seems like Moto Voice isn't nearly as accurate as it used to be. Way more incorrect interpretations than I've ever experienced prior to the 5.1.1 update. Not like this, Moto.
I got the original X. I don't have the black screen thing but I do feel like moto voice is a little worse. It'll catch me trying to talk to it, but it never seems to pick up my sentences after that. It just has that blue screen and takes forever for it to transfer to google search. Might as well just pick up the phone and search at that point. I didn't pay too much attention to it though since I don't use it too often.

I'm just ready to move onto a 6P eventually lol.

Vanillalite

Thank fucking god. They finally fixed the Walmart Android app. Shit was a POS before, but I used it anyways for the savings shit.

Now it's way faster, and it doesn't have the lag where shit would just hang like before.

kendrid

Banned
I am a T-Mobile prepaid user with no data plan. I work from home most days and I have Comcast so I have free wi-fi in a lot of locations.

I am currently using a Lumia 635 and I am pretty much done with Windows Phone. WM10 is laggy on it and I want to come back to Android.

I am considering the Moto G 2nd gen. I am cheap. Has anyone gone from WP to the G 2nd gen? Were you disappointed or were you happy with the switch?

I am a T-Mobile prepaid user with no data plan. I work from home most days and I have Comcast so I have free wi-fi in a lot of locations.

I am currently using a Lumia 635 and I am pretty much done with Windows Phone. WM10 is laggy on it and I want to come back to Android.

I am considering the Moto G 2nd gen. I am cheap. Has anyone gone from WP to the G 2nd gen? Were you disappointed or were you happy with the switch?
Worth noting since I encountered it a lot that Lollipop suffers from WiFi/DNS issues with Comcast Gateway's so you might want to keep that in mind when looking at an Android device. It completely ruined my first-generation MotoX because the WiFi times out and the device becomes pretty much unusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom