• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought another 5X during the drop to $300 sale they're offering. Pretty smooth performance so far, but I'll have to give it a few days if use before I can judge it better.

I swear to god I keep moving to my iPhone and then get sucked back into Android all over again. Despite its flaws in comparison to iOS I guess I just like the platform a lot more.

Was just watching a live stream on the YouTube app and realized you can now select video quality. Not sure when this became possible, but it had to have only happened in the last few months. This is great for me, considering my crap internet.

Edit: Thankfully I didn't complete the order on that micro SD card earlier.

Silicon Power has some really good deals (128gb for $33!), but I've never heard of this company before.

#Android

According to app analytics tracking firm Drawbridge, the most used Android app of Q4 2015 is Clean Master, an app management platform. The app reportedly received over one trillion in-app ad requests in October, November and December, and also ended up being the application with the most unique users. CM security, a security focused Android app, came in a close second.

Noema

My S3 has seen some shit. What phone are most people recommending? I don't want to pay the Apple premium.

What's your budget?

The BLU Life One X goes for $150 and it's a great value for the price, and a decent upgrade from your S3.

The Nexus 5x can be had for around $300 these days.

What's your budget?

The BLU Life One X goes for $150 and it's a great value for the price, and a decent upgrade from your S3.

I will be going contract, so it depends on the monthly bill. Under £30 hopefully. I can get the S6 for £28pm.

Must have SD slot.

Speaking of the Nexus 5X, in Germany, Google is selling the 5X for 349€ and 399€ at the moment, which is far more reasonable than the 429€ and 479€ they were asking for.

Shame about the size and lack of wireless charging.

nTUGtMu.jpg

e: That's actually a 5 and 6 in the picture, but my point still stands, damnit!

Kuros

Speaking of the Nexus 5X, in Germany, Google is selling the 5X for 349€ and 399€ at the moment, which is far more reasonable than the 429€ and 479€ they were asking for.

Shame about the size and lack of wireless charging.

nTUGtMu.jpg

Thats an n5 and 6p in that picture.

ahaha I don't follow samsung news anymore, I lost interest.

I'm still the first to say G5 for April 8 though. I hope it doesn't change. then it will have truly been worldwide gaf exclusive.

LG G5 said to launch in April followed by V10 sequel in late 2016

December 14, 2015

The G Flex 2 made its debut earlier this year at CES 2015 in January, so CES 2016 seemed like a natural place to debut the successor. Instead, the company could leave us waiting until April, when it allegedly plans to launch the LG G5. Later next year we may also get a follow-up to the LG V10.

At least you mention a specific date, hahaha.

Unicorn

So, my GF accidentally deleted a bunch of photos from her Verizon S4 and I'm struggling to find an easy solution to recover them that doesn't cost money and doesn't require rooting.

Why isn't there a recycling bin equivalent on smart phones yet? Why are all avenues of recovery programs that cost money or apps that are actually just scam/malware?

If rooting is the only reliable option, how do I go about doing it for Verizon Galaxy S4. I rooted my S3 years ago, but it was a weekend long affair of nail-biting tension of fear for fucking it up.

Cross post from stupid questions thread.

RuGalz

So, my GF accidentally deleted a bunch of photos from her Verizon S4 and I'm struggling to find an easy solution to recover them that doesn't cost money and doesn't require rooting.

If she uses Google photos for backup then it may still in the Trash bin.

Unicorn

If she uses Google photos for backup then it may still in the Trash bin.
She was trying to sync to Drive, and thought it worked, so deleted stuff, but then Drive got hung up or something and a lot of shit didn't transfer.
She wanted to free up space on her phone, so that's how this all started..

kendrid

Banned
Worth noting since I encountered it a lot that Lollipop suffers from WiFi/DNS issues with Comcast Gateway's so you might want to keep that in mind when looking at an Android device. It completely ruined my first-generation MotoX because the WiFi times out and the device becomes pretty much unusable.

Thanks for the heads up. I did some searching and it is hard to tell if this issue is fixed or not. Google and Comcast say it is with no apps required but some users still report issues here and there. If there is an issue there is an app where you can force the phone to use a specific DNS server and that resolves the issue.

Why isn't there a recycling bin equivalent on smart phones yet? Why are all avenues of recovery programs that cost money or apps that are actually just scam/malware?

If rooting is the only reliable option, how do I go about doing it for Verizon Galaxy S4. I rooted my S3 years ago, but it was a weekend long affair of nail-biting tension of fear for fucking it up.

Cross post from stupid questions thread.

She wasn't backing them up via Google Photos, Dropbox, etc.?

Ended up canceling my microSD card order. I don't know what my next phone will be. It might end up being one without an expendable storage slot. Wish all Android phones came with one so this wouldn't be an issue.

Priz

Ended up canceling my microSD card order. I don't know what my next phone will be. It might end up being one without an expendable storage slot. Wish all Android phones came with one so this wouldn't be an issue.
That wasn't the best deal on a card anyway. If you do end up getting a new phone that can take a MicroSDXC, I probably can find you a better deal on a better performing card...

(We get many orders of people buying our 128MB/256MB/512MB MicroSD cards for under $4 who think it's a pricing error on our side and they're getting an amazing deal on the GB card/claim that it's bait & switch and that we wrote it was GB just to draw them in and then the second they hit place order changed the text to read MB. Geniuses.)

EDIT: Here's the text of a recent return -
Item: 256MB SD (Secure Digital) Card (BQL)
Qty: 1
Return reason: Defective/Does not work properly
Customer comments: Only 8 gb were on this card of a promised 256 gb, this is an attempt to fool the buyer, me. Refund my money

bluethree

How is the battery life on the Note Edge? It's the only good semi recent note available here in Japan and I can get a good deal on it by changing carriers. Heard the battery life isnt great, but if it's not too bad then I can always get a spare.

Interesting to read that both of them are getting SD Card slots now instead of just the regular S7. Also I don't know why they feel the need to make the S7 Edge larger, but I guess that explains why the S7 Edge+ was scrapped.

It sounds like Samsung is fixing everything wrong with the S6. New larger battery size, SD card slot, and waterproofing. I just wonder what improvements the software will have.

JamzyT

Neo Member
yes a little design changes. Samsung does this every year but this year it appears they have taken apple approach

Well they have done "little" design changes.
-Bezels are a bit slimmer
-Camera is said to less pronounced and more flush
-Back of the S7 is curved like the Note5
-Fingerprint sensor shape has slightly changed
-Slighty thicker

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Looking forward to software improvements, at least. Though the 6.01 previews haven't produced much hope

reKon

Banned
I could actually see myself getting my first Galaxy phone (The Galaxy nexus doesn't count).

I expense my phone bill through my company, but just haven't cared to look.

The only reason I say this is because I have no issues at all with my Galaxy Tab S2 software. Touchwiz doesn't look like a piece of shit anymore and it seems to run fine. I'll have to wait on battery tests though. I feel like I'll just getting sucked into the next Xperia phone compact phone or actually buy something from Huawei/Xiaomi, taking the bang for buck route. Android has all the upgrades I wanted concerning being able to keep save data, so all I care about now is multitasking.

I think the worst part about getting a Samsung phone for me is how bland it looks. Absolutely super boring. They're not even doing anything with colors.

I'm going to miss my red Nexus 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom