• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

I thought encryption caused performance issues on Android. Well I mean I'm not sure if it still does but I remember it being a big issue when the Nexus 6 originally came out, although my N5X is performing fine.

I'm not sure if 16GB's is sufficient for his needs but Best Buy is selling a brand new Nexus 5 (Red though) for $210. I'd say it's probably the best phone in that price area just for the better software experience over a Blu budget phone.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-nexu...-red/8297713.p?id=1219322453386&skuId=8297713

From what I can tell, my Blu Life One X basically has stock. I know that some Blu models have a more altered version.

Depends what you want from it. The apps aren't great or in number, but on my Android Wear device, I use like 2 apps anyway. If you just want notifications and music control on your wrist, it's as good as any Android Wear device. But if it's more expensive than other watches still, unless you really want the look of it, I wouldn't bother.

Huh? Its the same price as the Moto 360 unless you mean the Classic.

krae_man

Somehow in the last week or so all my contacts disappeared. My Sister texted me and it just came up with a phone number and nothing else. I looked the only contact on my phone is me WTF?

Ultratech

Picked up a Nexus 5X almost two weeks ago.

Have to say, I'm loving it. Beats out my old phone like nobody's business (then again, it was an old POS HTC One X).

Honestly, I've hardly had any issues with at all.
(It chugged when I did the initial transfer, but the Phone was trying to redownload all my old apps when I didn't want it to.)

All my other nitpicks are really just app-related (damn you Gmail for not having off-peak sync hours!!!).

Also having to get used to Marshmallow after being stuck on 4.2 for the last few years.
Doze is pretty awesome though. Can get my phone to last up to two days straight before it needs charging.

It wasn't when it launched, no idea on prices now. Unless comparing to RRP, but most other watches had dropped way below that.

It's been $300 since launch and there's sales everytime I look up where you can get one for $250 or so. And yea older watches have dropped lower, but the current crop like the 360 2nd gen and Huawei Watch are still standing at their launch prices. Heck the Watch Urbane is still $350 MSRP.

Omadahl

Banned
Does anyone have any recommendations for carriers? I've been on Sprint for over 15 years and now my parents and wife are part of it as well. I don't really care about phones, (have an S5 that works just fine), but we're paying out the nose for unlimited data which we really don't need.

Does anyone have any recommendations for carriers? I've been on Sprint for over 15 years and now my parents and wife are part of it as well. I don't really care about phones, (have an S5 that works just fine), but we're paying out the nose for unlimited data which we really don't need.
Depends who gets good service in your area and if you all want to keep your current devices. If you want to stay with Sprint's network you could switch to Boost Mobile. They have a family of 4 plan with Unlimited Talk, Text, and 1.5GB of data per line for $100/month or 5GB per line for $120/month.

Cricket Wireless (AT&T Service) offers unlimited Talk, Text, and 2.5GB of data per line for $100/month with a family of 4. T-Mobile offers Unlimited Talk, Text, and each lines gets 2GB of data for $100/month.

reKon

Banned
My Xperia Z3 Compact has been dethroned:

gsmarena_001.jpg

Just crazy for a 8.5mm phone. It's a still a good sized 5 inch phone too..

When did we start hearing the first rumors about the 5X and 6P? Curious to hear what Googles approach is this year in regards to phone sizes, and if they will do a Pixel phone this time.

kendrid

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. I did some searching and it is hard to tell if this issue is fixed or not. Google and Comcast say it is with no apps required but some users still report issues here and there. If there is an issue there is an app where you can force the phone to use a specific DNS server and that resolves the issue.

I end up buying a Moto G 2nd gen. Works fine with my XFinity router.

It is amazing how far ahead Android is vs WP10. Last night at dinner I swipped over to the G+ tab and it said 'Here is where you are parked'. Stuff like that automatically being done is cool. I know this isn't new to 99% of you but as a Windows phone user it was cool.

For a $100 phone the UI is smooth will all of my normal apps loaded.

Sid

Which phone do you guys think has the best RAM management? hoping the S7 has much better memory management than the S6....

tzare

Big ass battery + low res screen does wonders.
Yup my ascend g7 does almost double my note4 SoT with similar size, but obviously sd400 vs sd805 and 720p vs 2K is to be considered.
That said, most people will be just fine with sd400 or similar soc , 2gb of ram and 720p screens. Android runs great with those specs and also has really good battery life.

reKon

Banned
Yup my ascend g7 does almost double my note4 SoT with similar size, but obviously sd400 vs sd805 and 720p vs 2K is to be considered.
That said, most people will be just fine with sd400 or similar soc , 2gb of ram and 720p screens. Android runs great with those specs and also has really good battery life.

Yeah people don't realize this. This is going to be a crazy year in terms of great Android phones. I think I know what I want, but all these insane budget phones are going to be so tempting to me.

If the claims about Galaxy S3 battery are true, I might actually give a Galaxy phone a try because I've had zero issuea with Galaxy Tab S2 that I'm currently using.

Noema

It's actually 294 PPI, but that's definitely good enough. Anyone who doesn't think so must not care about battery life and they are lame. There are other important aspects to a screen other than the resolution.

Isn't the Redmi Note 2 1080p@5.5"?

EDIT: My bad! I thought we were talking about the Redmi Note 2, not the Redmi 3, which is indeed 294ppi.

vdlow

Any news on when Sony will release marshmallow for the xperia z3?

Nope. There was a leak saying that the update was ready for the Z5 and almost done for the Z3+, but no word about the Z3 besides the Concept Program, which seems not close to finished. I guess there's at least one more month of wait until the update is released.

Best thing about Samsung phones is Samsung Pay TBH. I am seriously considering the S7 over the G5, all things being equal because of Samsung Pay.

I've never liked their edge devices, but might get the s7 edge if the rumor of the 5.5 inch screen is true. I need atleast 5.5 inches and it seems like LG decided to downsize the g5.

Is Samsung Pay any different from Android Pay?
Android Pay and Apple Pay both use NFC for payments so only retailers or businesses that have NFC terminals can accept payments from them. Samsung Pay is enabled to work with older card readers and NFC so it can pretty much be used anywhere in the country that accepts credit cards.

IHey guys, made a thread about this but it just hit me that I should probably ask it here.

I'm looking for a smart watch for my sister, but she wants one that does voice calls and has a decent amount of apps. The only one I can think of is the Gear S2, but the apps are lacking on that one. Are there any android wear watches that have voice calling built in?

She has a Samsung galaxy S5 btw.

IHey guys, made a thread about this but it just hit me that I should probably ask it here.

I'm looking for a smart watch for my sister, but she wants one that does voice calls and has a decent amount of apps. The only one I can think of is the Gear S2, but the apps are lacking on that one. Are there any android wear watches that have voice calling built in?

She has a Samsung galaxy S5 btw.
only the 4G model has a speaker.

the Huawei Watch also has a speaker, but Android Wear doesn't let you use it for calls yet.

Hi everyone!

How does Android Factory reset work?
I'm planning to do a complete factory reset on my OnePlus 2.
I never did that on an Android phone.
Since I have many two-factor authorizations (2FA) on the device (Google Authenticator, Blizzard, goverment sites access, etc.), I was wondering can I just backup the device, do a factory reset and then restore everything from Google backup?
Will it return everything back to normal, including all the 2FA settings which I can't loose?
I really don't want to disconnect/reconnect every 2FA on all my accounts. :/

tzare

Best thing about Samsung phones is Samsung Pay TBH. I am seriously considering the S7 over the G5, all things being equal because of Samsung Pay.

they need to expand it to all phones with fingerprint scanner asap. Because i guess google pay will be available for those that get marshmallow (Note 4, S5...)

The Guardian has a fun little article about the Android Facebook app and how uninstalling it is supposed to save 20% of battery life.

"So, uninstalling the Facebook app saves both battery and speeds up Android phones, it seems. Obviously, it may be less convenient not to have the apps, but there are several substitutes that allow you to access the mobile site within a wrapper, like Metal that I used.

Alternatively, you can simply use Facebook within Chrome on an Android phone: recent updates have enabled notifications for actions, chats and other features from Facebook even in the background, meaning the experience is very similar to using an app.

Either way, until Facebook improves its Android app, ditching it could save you 20% of your battery life a day, and speed up your phone."

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...d-battery-life?CMP=twt_a-technology_b-gdntech

I uninstalled the app a week or two ago, because I simply never used it. It did nothing for my battery life.

Gattsu25

Banned
The Guardian has a fun little article about the Android Facebook app and how uninstalling it is supposed to save 20% of battery life.

"So, uninstalling the Facebook app saves both battery and speeds up Android phones, it seems. Obviously, it may be less convenient not to have the apps, but there are several substitutes that allow you to access the mobile site within a wrapper, like Metal that I used.

Alternatively, you can simply use Facebook within Chrome on an Android phone: recent updates have enabled notifications for actions, chats and other features from Facebook even in the background, meaning the experience is very similar to using an app.

Either way, until Facebook improves its Android app, ditching it could save you 20% of your battery life a day, and speed up your phone."

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...d-battery-life?CMP=twt_a-technology_b-gdntech

I uninstalled the app a week or two ago, because I simply never used it. It did nothing for my battery life.
I don't need a boost in battery life but the drastic increase in notifications was annoying me.

I'll see how the webapp works. Uninstalled the base apps.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
That would be even more expensive on a contract. I also don't have a huge desire to have the very latest phone model, hence why I am using an S3 still.

I'm a casual phone consumer.

image.php

warren would still be using an S3 as well, so it kinda works out

AndyD

aka andydumi
Really like that the S7 has a rumored much larger battery rather than shave another half a mm off. Maybe the manufacturers are finally starting to listen.

Really like that the S7 has a rumored much larger battery rather than shave another half a mm off. Maybe the manufacturers are finally starting to listen.
It's probably just part of the cycle. This year batteries increase. Then for like the next year or two, companies will keep the same size or decrease them a bit, and after that they'll go back to increasing.

I'm just making shit up. :p

That makes me wonder if Samsung is going to keep the aggressive RAM management in the next version of TouchWiz, to push the S7 further in battery benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom