• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Google didn't fix the DND bug in the Feb update

Well played

well-played.png

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
so

I got a Turing Phone update (I didn't order one):

Dear Turing Fans,

You will be pleased to know that we have ironed out the final development tasks before we deliver the Turing Phone to your hands. We fully expect the Turing Phone to be delivered in the month of April 2016.

Many of you have asked numerous times through our Facebook fan page as well as emailed us about our OS development. We can now confirm that TRI has chosen to drop Android and use Jolla's Sailfish OS. Sailfish OS is now running perfectly on the Turing Phone and we have started the final OS software testing phase.

Sailfish OS runs exceptionally fast on the Turing. You will not have to worry about performance issues with Turing's Snapdragon 801 because Sailfish OS has been optimized to run fast on your Turing Phone. The Turing Phone will still be able to run Android Apps on the Sailfish OS without issue. An Android application store will be available for you to download your favorite apps.

The Sailfish OS is an evolved continuation of the Linux MeeGo OS previously developed by an alliance of Nokia and Intel. MeeGo mobile software platform was created through the merging of Moblin and the Maemo OS originally developed by Nokia.

This essentially means you have one of the world's fastest mobile device running the fastest mobile OS with the capability of running your favorite apps in a secure environment.

TRI will also be hosting its first Turing Developers Conference (TDC) during Q2 2016.

We can't wait to get the phones out to your hands. Thank you so much for your continued patience and support for the Turing Project.

..thoughts?

ana

Yay.. My LG G4 got some battery and Google services update..
...and little after update it died... :(

It got stuck in boot loop mode..

Mindwipe

For those on Marshmallow -- have you been forced to disable Doze battery optimization for certain apps to sync properly?

So far, I've noticed these apps don't work using Marshmallow's default battery optimization settings:
  • Pocket Casts
  • Relay for Reddit

Both of those are working fine for me. What's the issues?

Whatsapp Web is the only thing that is completely broken (as it is on Sony's Stamina mode).

So is there anything worthwile on F-Droid? Was thinking of downloading it cause Google keep removing Clover from the Play Store like dicks

Ixian

http://gizmodo.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-rumors-everything-we-think-we-know-1756393699
But the biggest rumor regarding TouchWiz and the S7 is that Samsung’s reportedly reached out to Google in an effort to help improve the “fluency” of TouchWiz. Translation: TouchWiz is going to run faster. Remember that the S7 is supposed to come with 4GB of RAM and the latest Snapdragon processor. Suddenly, we’ve got a device that very well could be the fastest we’ve ever seen.
If this is true, I'll probably switch back to the Galaxy line when the new Note rolls around. I'm not anti-TouchWiz, I'm anti-"my phone slowing down after a few months of use." The gap between S7 release and the Note release should be enough to judge how well the software holds up. Every time my girlfriend uses Samsung Pay I feel a little tinge of jealousy; I don't think the stores I frequent will be compatible with Android Pay or even Apple Pay within the next few years but maybe I'll be proven wrong by the time I need to make a purchasing decision.

rc213

So it turns out ES File Explorer is doing some real shady shit. I got a notification after installing an unrelated app that it is requesting "Sensitive Permissions" and then ES started scanning something. That was uninstalled fast.

What is the best file manager app now?

Solid Explorer is the bees knees.

Anyone have any experience with the HTC RE? I see it's available for around $50, I've checked reviews and samples and everything seems more than good for the price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Solid Explorer since day one. Why even use other trash unless you have no taste

Saiyan-Rox

So the latest update for the Pixel C apparently fixes the touchscreen issues according to Google......

I'll be the judge of that while waiting for the update to hit my tablet in like 2 weeks time -_-

kharma45

Strange one considering their own keyboard is so good.

If they bought them for the prediction AI, I can understand it. SwiftKey can be super-creepy-scary good. But like I said in the WP thread, the feeling and feedback with Microsoft's keyboard has yet to matched. The sound feedback alone makes me want to use it.

yyzjohn

Banned
You guys scared me away from ES File Explorer. I used that for years, then I googled about security issues after reading this thread. I'll miss you ES :(

Didn't know it was out already :O Damn i'll give it a go when it launches.

Just bought Chrooma swell xD ah well.

I think it's in beta on iOS and as with all keyboards, it's a matter of preference. I really like the Word Flow keyboard but I can easily see why someone would prefer a different one, like more customization or using multiple languages at once. I really hope it's going to be a great Android port and I can't wait for it.

Fatalah

Both of those are working fine for me. What's the issues?

Whatsapp Web is the only thing that is completely broken (as it is on Sony's Stamina mode).

Pocket Casts does not sync my daily sports radio shows when Doze is enabled.

Also, Relay For Reddit does not alert me about inbox messages.

I'm honestly surprised it took someone this long to snatch up swiftkey. Nice pickup for Microsoft. I had read that they were looking to bring their own keyboard to iOS but I wonder if this changes that.

clav

How much are you willing to spend?

There will be people suggesting phones at least in the $150+ range.

if you just want some cheap ass phone to get you going then get this for 99 bucks. Moto G 2nd gen.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWI4F0O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

solid for the price

A safe choice.

User's arriving from Windows Phone, so he may go app crazy which then causes battery drain from bloated apps.

Stick to open source + apps that don't use many permissions. Microsoft and Google main apps tend to be low on battery drain.

Amaze looks like a decent free file system that respects Material design.

Open Camera is a camera app for users who custom ROM.

Argyle

For those on Marshmallow -- have you been forced to disable Doze battery optimization for certain apps to sync properly?

So far, I've noticed these apps don't work using Marshmallow's default battery optimization settings:
  • Pocket Casts
  • Relay for Reddit

I was wondering why Pocket Casts wouldn't update unless I manually opened it...is that what happens for you too?

goober

if you just want some cheap ass phone to get you going then get this for 99 bucks. Moto G 2nd gen.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWI4F0O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

solid for the price

I'm sure for 50 to 100 bucks more you can get a way better chinese phone but meh. It's a really solid device.

How much are you willing to spend?

There will be people suggesting phones at least in the $150+ range.

A safe choice.

User's arriving from Windows Phone, so he may go app crazy which then causes battery drain from bloated apps.

Stick to open source + apps that don't use many permissions. Microsoft and Google main apps tend to be low on battery drain.

Amaze looks like a decent free file system that respects Material design.

Open Camera is a camera app for users who custom ROM.

My bad I should have clarified. I had an LGG3 and the LCD died. My dad lent me his Windows phone spare. So I basically lost all my apps.

I want an Android phone that can last me until I'm able to upgrade around July. Then I'll spend the big buckaroos for the next big thing

My bad I should have clarified. I had an LGG3 and the LCD died. My dad lent me his Windows phone spare. So I basically lost all my apps.

I want an Android phone that can last me until I'm able to upgrade around July. Then I'll spend the big buckaroos for the next big thing
I stand by my reccomendation. 99 bucks on sale for a good phone. Will EASILY last until July and there's no sense in spending more than 99 if you don't gotta. It's on sale on amazon. Normally 180 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom