• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So that explains Pocketcasts. I thought it was just me.

So after the 810 overheating controversy, now it's time for the Mediatek X20 (10 core SoC) to have the same overheating issues.

What's with TSMC's 20nm process?

Ty4on

So after the 810 overheating controversy, now it's time for the Mediatek X20 (10 core SoC) to have the same overheating issues.

P1030606_575px.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What are the best Andrew TD games?

I know of PvZ2. I just download Toy Defense Fantasy Wars. Looks good but am curious if there's something with decent graphics and soid game play.

Also, an online co op RPG for me and my brother.

Noema

What are the best Andrew TD games?

I know of PvZ2. I just download Toy Defense Fantasy Wars. Looks good but am curious if there's something with decent graphics and soid game play.

Also, an online co op RPG for me and my brother.

Have you played the Kingdom Rush games? They are fantastic.

Loci

Anyone here got a Huawei Mate S ?
How do you like it so far?

And how's the update policy? I heard MM beta is already out and will hit the public soon, too

Zapages

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering is there any browser that will prevent the user from changing the website from full screen mode.

This is specifically for Amazon Kindle fire.

Many thanks,

Zapages

Did Google really pull samsungs browser off the play store for putting in a built in adblocker? Fookin christ mate. I don't care if you think it violates your codez n shit just let it be.

Did Google really pull samsungs browser off the play store for putting in a built in adblocker? Fookin christ mate. I don't care if you think it violates your codez n shit just let it be.

Doesn't pretty much every 3rd party browser have a build-in ad blocker?

If S7 has microusb it is doa.

USB Type C is a garbage mess only nerds care about and the S7 wouldn't be compatible with the GearVR.

I think they are usually plugins.
Not all, like the caf based browsers.

Edit: Looking at the article on Android Central, Google removed an ad blocking app that uses Samsung's browser APIs, not the actual browser itself. Samsung's browser doesn't seem to block ads standalone.

Drifters

- Design is amazing
- Not to big
- Speakers are BoomSound worthy
- Somehow it is lighter than the M8
- OMFGAMOLED!!!
- Android 6.0.1 w/ Feb SEC updates
- Active notifications!
- Pictures don't look like shit!!!!!!

Absolutely zero cons. Fits in the pocket just as nicely as the M8. Love it!

Nerds that like to plug in their phone in the dark or without carefully looking at the port first.

Nerds that want their usb ports to last usb ports to last longer than 1.5 years.

Those are still nerds, so I don't get your point by repeating what I said.

Unless you want to agree with me. If that's the case, high five and you're welcome.

- Design is amazing
- Not to big
- Speakers are BoomSound worthy
- Somehow it is lighter than the M8
- OMFGAMOLED!!!
- Android 6.0.1 w/ Feb SEC updates
- Active notifications!
- Pictures don't look like shit!!!!!!

Absolutely zero cons. Fits in the pocket just as nicely as the M8. Love it!

Speakers def aren't boom sound worthy. They're loud but don't have the mids or lows HTC boom sound phones have

Ty4on

LOL no wonder Qualcomm ditched TSMC. Damn.
The A9 seems to show that their 16nm is better than Samsung's 14nm though.
I'm not very good with process tech, but I think the 20nm steps were especially hard. Even Intel struggled with temps and the GPU manufacturers eventually (I think 20nm GPUs were planned) skipped it entirely.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That invitation explains so much of their UI.

lol dude, you're in an android forum on Neogaf. This indicates a moderate level of nerdom. Have several seats.

He's just trying to point out that only tech people care about USB C but he's kind of wrong.

Thunderbolt shares the benefits of USB C and I've heard plenty of non tech people say its better than the Android connector.

The general population does care about USB C they just don't know it yet or have already left for iPhones.

What's with thinking that 10 ARM cores, even A53's, clustered together won't produce a significant amount of heat? I admire Mediatek's audacity (hubris?) for trying to pile 10 ARM cores on top of each other though.

If S7 has microusb it is doa.

LMAO

Oh noes S7 owners won't be able to plug their devices into Macbooks. As if anybody who owns a Macbook would also own a Samsung device

The reality is that the entire world is on USB, miniUSB, and microUSB Type A and B. Replacing the entire world's stock of existing USB-supporting devices with ones that have Type C connectors will take at least a decade and probably longer. That shit isn't going anywhere so get used to it.

Hasney

You guys know me, with my experience with Samsung, I'll take any opportunity to shit on them...

But Type-C doesn't matter. It's a nice to have, but if you're flummoxed by plugging a phone in in the dark, you probably have bigger problems. And hell, my S4 had the least durable Micro USB plug of all time, but it was just shittily made. Everything else micro-USB has been much better.

But hey, new laptop in a few hours and that has Type-C, so I'm in the future of connectivity.... Or something.

kharma45

He's just trying to point out that only tech people care about USB C but he's kind of wrong.

Thunderbolt shares the benefits of USB C and I've heard plenty of non tech people say its better than the Android connector.

The general population does care about USB C they just don't know it yet or have already left for iPhones.

No awareness no cares. In fact I'd bet most will be annoyed about having to change plug making everything they have redundant. No normal person not into this stuff even knows what type C is.

JordanKZ

UK folks:

Looks like Android pay is imminent? With my sideloaded Android Pay APK, I was able to almost add my debit card this morning. I got all the way to the final step, where the bank verifies your account, when it was rejected... Because it was HSBC. But, it looks like Android Pay could be sooner than we think.

e: For some more relevant news. Remember when Hangouts finally got SMS integration?

5ex5CRL.png

Opinion =/= fact?

Please go read this on USB-C and why it matters not only to PC's and Phones but also Apple as well: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/devices/usb-type-c/23241/usb-type-c-explained-trust-us-youll-want-it-your-phone

I know exactly what Type C is and what it does. I just don't think it's relevant on a phone. The only thing that is nice to have and might be relevant for the average consumer is the reversible connector, which apparently also works on USB 2.0, as OnePlus and Google showed us all, negating all the other positive aspects that should come with it.

But lets go through that article, which actually doesn't explain why I'd want it on a phone.

Faster transfer speed: Not, if it's based on USB 2.0 (OnePlus 2, Nexus 5X, 6P)
You can charge tablets and laptops with it: MicroUSB charges phones, too. Amazing, I know.
You can use it to connect to displays: In a world of Chromecast, Miracast and other wireless display technologies, it's relevant for a phone, because...? Also won't work, if it's based on USB 2.0
Supported by software: Okay?

Other stuff: Charges phones faster! Which we already got with MicroUSB.

I'm not saying Type-C isn't a good thing and shouldn't replace MicroUSB. It absolutely should, because the connector is great and definitely a step up from MicroUSB. We need technology to move forward and I welcome it.

But saying a phone is DOA, because it doesn't have it, is nonsense. The review scores for the S7 will definitely get knocked down a notch, but it's no reason not to get a phone.

I also find the argument of "fumbling around in the dark to plug it, without worrying" a bit hilarious for a phone that has wireless charging. This is exactly the shit I'm talking about, when I always go all "do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior wireless charging". No fiddling and fumbling with shitty cables in the dark by the bedside. You just put it on the fucking plate and it charges. Boom, done.

Bboy AJ

Hangouts is way better with just the simple quick reply addition. I've never used Hangouts more than I do these days. It's so much more enjoyable. Based quick reply.

The A9 seems to show that their 16nm is better than Samsung's 14nm though.
I'm not very good with process tech, but I think the 20nm steps were especially hard. Even Intel struggled with temps and the GPU manufacturers eventually (I think 20nm GPUs were planned) skipped it entirely.

Yeah, TSMC got their 20nm process wrong. But I was expecting a 2nd generation 20nm process without all the issues.

What's with thinking that 10 ARM cores, even A53's, clustered together won't produce a significant amount of heat? I admire Mediatek's audacity (hubris?) for trying to pile 10 ARM cores on top of each other though.
Part of it is marketing: more cores = better.
Another part is Mediatek can't afford from a business perspective to build a custom core like Samsung and Qualcomm. They're in the mid-to-low segment of the market, lower margins so a custom core ends up making the end product more expensive.

Their roadmap this year is pretty much A53 cores at a higher frequency, so the big players have nothing to worry about.

tzare

Hangouts is way better with just the simple quick reply addition. I've never used Hangouts more than I do these days. It's so much more enjoyable. Based quick reply.

i wish whatsapp had quick reply too. It is quite handy,

As for usb type C... yeah it is more annoying than a benefit right now. You can find miniusb cables almost anywhere if needed, but not usb type C. So the transition period is annoying. I also like moving formward but galaxy s7 is out of the question for me if comes with usb type c. Unless it has outstanding battery life. I am considering it for my wife so it needs to be practical.

Fatalah

I'm ready to abandon Windows Phone. Tell me about Android. Specifically the Galaxy S5. Yes, no, maybe so?

Nexus 5X or 6P, you can't go wrong. They're in a good price range, with newer tech and the latest Android.

Lenovo is currently running a promo on the latest Moto X, which is a wonderful device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom