• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

Yeah no shit. Its personal preference. I will never buy another phone without USB Type C after having it on my 5x.
Alright, so apparently I have followed why you're so butthurt over type C, what gives?

e: For some more relevant news. Remember when Hangouts finally got SMS integration?

5ex5CRL.png

I know exactly what Type C is and what it does. I just don't think it's relevant on a phone. The only thing that is nice to have and might be relevant for the average consumer is the reversible connector, which apparently also works on USB 2.0, as OnePlus and Google showed us all, negating all the other positive aspects that should come with it.

But lets go through that article, which actually doesn't explain why I'd want it on a phone.
Sure.
Faster transfer speed: Not, if it's based on USB 2.0 (OnePlus 2, Nexus 5X, 6P)
When is the last time you transferred files from your computer to your phone via cable? In fact, how is that even desired? If you're rooting / unlocking the phone sure, but for day to day? People have moved on.
You can charge tablets and laptops with it: MicroUSB charges phones, too. Amazing, I know.
Again, nice to have, not sure why it's a con.
You can use it to connect to displays: In a world of Chromecast, Miracast and other wireless display technologies, it's relevant for a phone, because...? Also won't work, if it's based on USB 2.0
So you just proved my point on files via display casting.
Supported by software: Okay?
Again, not relevant.

Other stuff: Charges phones faster! Which we already got with MicroUSB.
So this is where I personally think the relevance of USB Type C is why mUSB is getting replaced; power. Nerd talk time: On USB 2.x, you hit a ceiling of 1.5A input across the cable and in C, you can hit 3A across the cable. Not only that, but notice that the C cables are thicker because they have tech built in, the mUSB cables don't have those features. While you say we have QC 2.0 on mUSB, you hit a ceiling of 500mA vs. 900mA on Type C which again, leads to faster charging which, is the whole point if the QC tech.
I'm not saying Type-C isn't a good thing and shouldn't replace MicroUSB. It absolutely should, because the connector is great and definitely a step up from MicroUSB. We need technology to move forward and I welcome it.
oldmanyellingatthecloud.jpg
But saying a phone is DOA, because it doesn't have it, is nonsense. The review scores for the S7 will definitely get knocked down a notch, but it's no reason not to get a phone.
A phone using tech from 2007 where now Google and Apple are pushing the standards, Samsung will have to figure out quickly if they are leaders or followers. While I personally wouldn't call it DOA it does not help Samsung's cause by releasing outdated tech based on the new standard type. Again, my opinion.
I also find the argument of "fumbling around in the dark to plug it, without worrying" a bit hilarious for a phone that has wireless charging. This is exactly the shit I'm talking about, when I always go all "do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior wireless charging". No fiddling and fumbling with shitty cables in the dark by the bedside. You just put it on the fucking plate and it charges. Boom, done.
Wireless charging is a nice thing to have however, IMO, the tech needs to improve for the throughput let alone quick charging via wireless. There is a reason that Apple have not introduced it yet is because of external factors that plugging a cable in cures. Having only had the 6P for one day now and for someone who charges it bedside after the lights are out, it is actually quite nice to just click it and forget it.

Doesn't USB Typce C enable fast charging on the new Nexus line? I would say that is a very welcome feature. Although nothing tops Fingerprint scanners, I just wish more apps took advantage of it (looking at you 1Password).

jBX8nGI.png

NeOak

Doesn't USB Typce C enable fast charging on the new Nexus line? I would say that is a very welcome feature. Although nothing tops Fingerprint scanners, I just wish more apps took advantage of it (looking at you 1Password).

jBX8nGI.png

It enables 5V with 3A, for a total for 15W.

Qualcomm QC2.0 with USB 2.0 MicroUSB/Type-C can do 12V @ 1.5A for 18W, which has been available for a few years now.

The 5X and 6P don't support QuickCharge.

vwnut13

No awareness no cares. In fact I'd bet most will be annoyed about having to change plug making everything they have redundant. No normal person not into this stuff even knows what type C is.

And once upon a time people hated Micro USB because they already had Mini USB.

Alright, so apparently I have followed why you're so butthurt over type C, what gives?

Sure.

When is the last time you transferred files from your computer to your phone via cable? In fact, how is that even desired? If you're rooting / unlocking the phone sure, but for day to day? People have moved on.

Again, nice to have, not sure why it's a con.

So you just proved my point on files via display casting.

Again, not relevant.

So this is where I personally think the relevance of USB Type C is why mUSB is getting replaced; power. Nerd talk time: On USB 2.x, you hit a ceiling of 1.5A input across the cable and in C, you can hit 3A across the cable. Not only that, but notice that the C cables are thicker because they have tech built in, the mUSB cables don't have those features. While you say we have QC 2.0 on mUSB, you hit a ceiling of 500mA vs. 900mA on Type C which again, leads to faster charging which, is the whole point if the QC tech.

oldmanyellingatthecloud.jpg

A phone using tech from 2007 where now Google and Apple are pushing the standards, Samsung will have to figure out quickly if they are leaders or followers. While I personally wouldn't call it DOA it does not help Samsung's cause by releasing outdated tech based on the new standard type. Again, my opinion.

Wireless charging is a nice thing to have however, IMO, the tech needs to improve for the throughput let alone quick charging via wireless. There is a reason that Apple have not introduced it yet is because of external factors that plugging a cable in cures. Having only had the 6P for one day now and for someone who charges it bedside after the lights are out, it is actually quite nice to just click it and forget it.

I'm not sure you really followed anything I wrote. I said it's nonsense to call a phone "DOA" (= dead on arrival, btw, in case the meaning as been lost, like releasing a Windows Phone) and I said that Type-C is a mess, because it doesn't mandate USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 and can be coupled with 2.0, which leaves its reversible connector as the only upside it has over MicroUSB.

Then you tell me to read an article with the headline "USB Type-C Explained: Trust Us – You’ll WANT It In Your Phone", except it doesn't actually explain why I'd want it in a phone and I explained why that's the case and why the points in the article are weak. Now you take my points and even sort of agree with me?

The article says "Faster transfer speed!", I say "not with USB 2.0" implying that it's not really relevant or a positive of USB Type-C on a phone, you then say to that "transfer speed isn't relevant anymore, because people don't do that anymore". Then how is it a valid point of that article you wanted me to read? Just like I never said that charging the phone over Type-C is a con. I don't understand how you read that to get to that point. I was saying that it wasn't a positive point in favor of Type-C.

I also understand that wireless charging still has ways to go (contact-less, faster charging times). I understand why people would pick Type-C over wireless charging (not me and why not both?), but I was explicitly making a point how it's much more convenient compared to any other cable solution in that situation.

But the kicker is that you write all that up, only to mention that you personally wouldn't call a phone DOA, because it doesn't have it. That is my entire point. The only thing I've ever disagreed with. Then I went on to say that I absolutely think that Type-C with 3.1 should happen and you continue to call me out as an old man, yelling at clouds. You seem to completely misunderstood me and I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough, after my initial hyperbolic response to Jazzy's statement.

reKon

Banned
And the Nexus phones have both.... no wonder people who drive by post in here don't stay, you guys have gotten even more jaded.

What? I'm not against USB C or anything. I'm just sharing my thoughts based on experience, not criticizing a particular phone. I'd rather have both, but if I had to choose one, it would be fingerprint. Most phones (even mid range phones) are fast enough today so I don't think I need top of the line processors are even necessary. Just at like 2 GB of ram minimum and something that at the very least handles web browsing as well as a snapdragon 801 would keep me satisfied.

The Flash

Banned
So I did some research on the Nexus 5X and decided to take the plunge and get it. $350 for 32gb on Amazon is not a bad deal. Should get here tomorrow. Got any tips or tricks for a new Android user?

Quixzlizx

So I did some research on the Nexus 5X and decided to take the plunge and get it. $350 for 32gb on Amazon is not a bad deal. Should get here tomorrow. Got any tips or tricks for a new Android user?

Try out Nova Launcher unless you're absolutely in love with the default Google Now launcher.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Don't over think it and don't go crazy. Keep it stock, and then download apps as you need.

To many people try and go cray when they get a new phone and it can hurt the user experience.

Jigolo

Pro tip for any new Android users: turning off your device for 10 min once a week is something you should consider

kharma45

And once upon a time people hated Micro USB because they already had Mini USB.

It wasn't universally used like micro usb is. Take the HTC hero I had for example, no standard mini USB port and instead had a strange variation on it. At least with micro everyone is unified.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Pro tip for any new Android users: turning off your device for 10 min once a week is something you should consider

Why, exactly? I just reset it once a week.

Has Verizon issued their LG G3 Android 6.0 update yet? I've seen articles saying yes based on one Reddit user but Ive yet to see it in my area on the east coast.

NotBacon

Just echoing Vanilla's comment: Keep it simple and stock. Don't listen to people telling you "root this, ROM that, hack this". And don't install Facebook.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am not a fan of the "new phone what do" sentiment. Just use it. Then tinker later when you know what you want changed.

Jigolo

Security patches every month are unnecessary and not worth the time it takes to get it done. "Android optimizing app x of xxx" ugh

Ty4on

Security patches every month are unnecessary and not worth the time it takes to get it done. "Android optimizing app x of xxx" ugh
I know OS' are messy, but it really bothers me that Android had to go through all of that all the time. There should be a pop up for selecting apps you need right now and apps to be recompiled in the background while charging or something.

The longer usb c takes to become the norm on high end android phones the longer apple will have one more thing on android. The longer it takes usb c to be the norm the stronger thunderbolt will become.

Lacking usb c is not just about another feature android users wont notice. Its about strength of the entire ecosystem.

I sure as hell dont want to be buying a new Dell that has more thunderbolt ports than usb c ports. Do you?

NeOak

LOL

That's like saying that Windows doesn't need security updates because you have to restart.

Saiyan-Rox

Huh got the 6P security OTA today....Much quicker than I thought i'd be waiting

So this is what it feels like to wait rather than flash

The Flash

Banned
Just echoing Vanilla's comment: Keep it simple and stock. Don't listen to people telling you "root this, ROM that, hack this". And don't install Facebook.

Family uses it a lot so I kinda have to get it.

I am not a fan of the "new phone what do" sentiment. Just use it. Then tinker later when you know what you want changed.

I'm a fan of getting other people's opinions especially when they are more informed than mine.

Priz

Today I was poking around reading articles and discovered this one about cheap USB-C cables causing terrible issues to people's machines. Geez, I didn't think about the cables causing such issues and was looking forward to the migration from MicroUSB to USB-C... but if this is going to happen... At least someone created a website with listings of tested/approved cables/adapters to use.

Family uses it a lot so I kinda have to get it.
Facebook? I found my bandwidth constantly in use (also battery life) with the official app which started crashing right on startup and only an uninstall/reinstall would sometimes/not always fix it. I read an article and decided to give Folio a try a little over a week ago. It's not perfect but it seems to be similar enough to the official app (plus stable) that it's an OK alternative for now to use. (Is there an alternate fb mobile wrapper/app that people recommend over Folio?)

Yes they are necessary and worth the time. It takes 5 minutes.

Do it right before you go to bed.
That's a great example. So many vulnerable devices and where are the attacks?

LOL

That's like saying that Windows doesn't need security updates because you have to restart.
All i see on the Internet is Google sucks for not forcing 3rd parties to update Android and Microsoft sucks for updating Windows. Pure coincidence that most tech journalists use neither...

Formless

If anyone has a Nexus 5 or is interested in a Microsoft Continuum esque experience (desktop OS on your phone), Maru is a custom OS that lets you use Ubuntu from your phone. Limited beta.

Maru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom