• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Family uses it a lot so I kinda have to get it.

Don't stop using Facebook, just don't use the app. Unless you want shitty device performance and much worse battery life. Yes it's that bad.

Just access the mobile site through the Chrome app. Keeps FB in check. When you close Chrome it's done. No BS battery draining happening in the background.

Amagon

Any recommendable gaming controllers that doesn't involve rooting Android?

I have a LG V10 and just try the Moga Power Pro, can't sync for shit.

zbeeb

Is there an alternative Facebook app? Or is there some custom Chrome tab we can use to keep Facebook and get notifications?

Just use Chrome and the mobile website. It gives you the option of receiving notifications when you open it the first time. Otherwise you can go to Settings -> Site Settings -> facebook.com and turn on notifications.

Guys, I need to get a new phone tomorrow and my budget is $400.

Nexus 6, Moto X Pure, or something else?

Kinda leaning towards the Moto, but I love nexus devices, and the nexus 6 $50 cheaper. I also think the phone might be a bit big, but I'm also coming off a Note 2 so I'm guessing it might be similar actually.

Thoughts on the one plus x?

Guys, I need to get a new phone tomorrow and my budget is $400.

Nexus 6, Moto X Pure, or something else?

Kinda leaning towards the Moto, but I love nexus devices, and the nexus 6 $50 cheaper. I also think the phone might be a bit big, but I'm also coming off a Note 2 so I'm guessing it might be similar actually.

Thoughts on the one plus x?

You can get s6 or flex (it is 199) for that kind of proce. Even 6p is attainable. So many frim xiomi or lenovo are better. Phone you mentioned are not good at this point. I would save money buy 100 moto g or lg g3 and in six month sell and ge5 xiomi or lenovo.

this_guy

Just use Chrome and the mobile website. It gives you the option of receiving notifications when you open it the first time. Otherwise you can go to Settings -> Site Settings -> facebook.com and turn on notifications.

I use Folio (Tinfoil and Metal are also great) to browse Facebook, but none of the web wrapper apps can get push notifications I have my browser logged in (Chrome and Opera both have the option to receive Facebook push notifications). The big advantage is I don't need to use Facebook Messenger since the mobile browsers allow you to use Facebook chat.

The Flash

Banned
Don't stop using Facebook, just don't use the app. Unless you want shitty device performance and much worse battery life. Yes it's that bad.

Just access the mobile site through the Chrome app. Keeps FB in check. When you close Chrome it's done. No BS battery draining happening in the background.

I'll do that. Thanks for letting me know.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Cad6N2VWcAEgqzU.jpg

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/695659809094426627

Powered by Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and skinned with HTC’s Sense 8.0 UI, the 5.1-inch Perfume was tipped as the company’s first global release to offer a 1440 x 2560 QHD display — which looked to be of the AMOLED variety, according to the person who saw it. Additionally, it will also be HTC’s first widely distributed flagship device to offer a fingerprint scanner, embedded in a Samsung Galaxy-like home button.

Jigolo

This was last year's hypothesised/leaked render for comparison (M9). Although, the article does imply that it might not be the final design.
The one on the left with slightly smaller bezels and a fingerprint sensor on the back. Would've been bought yesterday

That concept is still my dream device

Wreav

Banned
The only guy I know that bought a 6P dropped it on his tile floor like a dummy and destroyed the glass.

Google told him to talk to Huawei, and Huawei said their $80 screen repair service hasn't even started in the US yet.

L
O
L

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Next Gen ROMing is here.

TWRP 3.0

TWRP 3.0.0-0 is out now for all currently supported devices.

What’s new in 3.0.0-0:

Completely new theme - Much more modern and much nicer looking (by z31s1g)
True Terminal Emulator - Includes arrow keys, tab and tab completion, etc. (by _that)
Language translation - It won’t be perfect and especially some languages that require large font files like Chinese & Japanese won’t be availble on most devices. Also some languages may only be partially translated at this time. Feel free to submit more translations to OmniROM’s Gerrit. (mostly by Dees_Troy)
Flashing of sparse images - On select devices you will be able to flash some parts of factory images via the TWRP GUI (by HashBang173)
Adopted storage support for select devices - TWRP can now decrypt adopted storage partitions from Marshmallow
Reworked graphics to bring us more up to date with AOSP - includes support for adf and drm graphics (by Dees_Troy)
SuperSU prompt will no longer display if a Marshmallow ROM is installed
Update exfat, exfat fuse, dosfstools (by mdmower)
Update AOSP base to 6.0
A huge laundry list of other minor fixes and tweaks

VoxPop

Looking to get back on the Android wagon when I get the opportunity. Hopefully the GS7 Edge removes all the bloat or at least leaves them as optional downloads. A pipedream indeed. Are they releasing the Plus the same time as the regular Edge this year?

ctfg23

Looking to get back on the Android wagon when I get the opportunity. Hopefully the GS7 Edge removes all the bloat or at least leaves them as optional downloads. A pipedream indeed. Are they releasing the Plus the same time as the regular Edge this year?

If the rumors/leaks are accurate there is only going to be one edge this year, with a 5.5in screen

wilflare

I use Folio (Tinfoil and Metal are also great) to browse Facebook, but none of the web wrapper apps can get push notifications I have my browser logged in (Chrome and Opera both have the option to receive Facebook push notifications). The big advantage is I don't need to use Facebook Messenger since the mobile browsers allow you to use Facebook chat.

guess I'll look at that as well. was thinking of trying Metal and Folio.

Using the browser, do you get Push Notifications for the Facebook chat as well?

VoxPop

If the rumors/leaks are accurate there is only going to be one edge this year, with a 5.5in screen

Sweet. I've never owned a phablet except the Note 2 I guess which was a piece of trash. Gonna be great having the extra screen real estate. Owners of the 6P, how is the phone holding up 5 months later?

ctfg23

I just switched to Project Fi and am enjoying it so far. I like being able to send SMS from Google Hangouts and being able to get data sim cards for my other devices.

My only problem is that I'm an idiot and put the wrong name when signing up and for some reason they can't change the name on the billing statement.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My old tag was better but this current tag will solidify me being a Messiah. Repent, those who deny my prophecy. In less than five years, we'll have moved on from the decades old 3.5 mm hell we've had to suffer.

Flashed stock/official marahmallow update on my LG G3.

Doze.

Wow.

Went to bed with 53% battery.

Woke up with 52% battery.

Installed an app that can enable an unofficial "aggressive doze" that activates doze in minutes instead of hours of inactivity for extra bonus.

Marshmallow is a necessary update for all phones.

this_guy

guess I'll look at that as well. was thinking of trying Metal and Folio.

Using the browser, do you get Push Notifications for the Facebook chat as well?

I don't use FB chat that often, but from what I remember it does. Before I deleted the Facebook and Messenger app I used Opera Mini for a week as my browser exclusively for Facebook with notifications turned on. Pretty much every notification that came on the app was also received through the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom