• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Glad you realized how dumb your statement was
Just like everyone thought 3.5mm was going nowhere, I can look at dumb posts like that and laugh about it today. There are still deniers, too, until Apple drops the hammer and we wait and see.

October 5th.

For me the biggest issue isn't so much how long OEMs take to update their phones. It's how quickly they abandon them.

If your phone was released in 2014 there's a good chance it'll never run Marshmallow officially.

I'm not expecting iOS levels of support, but at least provide 18 months of updates for your $500+ flagship.

This is one of the main reasons I recently ordered the 6p. I need my phone to last at least 2 years. I want Android N and O to be supported.

What are some good video players for Android to watch Anime?

I figured my wife's tablet would be a great option to watch when I travel or before sleeping but I haven't been able to find a end-all player like MPC for Windowns.

I've been using VLC but it has some issues playing 10bit files and has some wonky font colors for subtitles sometimes being unreadable.

Are there any better options?

diaspora

I figured my wife's tablet would be a great option to watch when I travel or before sleeping but I haven't been able to find a end-all player like MPC for Windowns.

I've been using VLC but it has some issues playing 10bit files and has some wonky font colors for subtitles sometimes being unreadable.

If you use Samsung, their video player can play mkv files as well as use subtitles.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

MX

love the slogan but that ad was meh.
if being the same meant we all get awesome phones with great customer service and amazing support with OS updates and so on and so forth then sign me up for the borg like a filthy commy.

I think the slogan is cool but it's ultimately meaningless to the average person. It's a commercial for android nerds and the few apple haters to rally around so I guess it does its job in that way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
October 5th.

For me the biggest issue isn't so much how long OEMs take to update their phones. It's how quickly they abandon them.

If your phone was released in 2014 there's a good chance it'll never run Marshmallow officially.

I'm not expecting iOS levels of support, but at least provide 18 months of updates for your $500+ flagship.

Aaaaand that's why go go Nexus (well, one of the reasons). The iPhone of Android, if you will. Nexus 5, over two years old, still officially supported and running the latest release of Android, and still smooth as hell (except when the RAM runs out). Which everyone (?) here knows, of course. But that's a massive reason why I will barely look at anything else Android-wise. Nothing else compares software-wise.

EDIT: Although I guess the N5 has now reached end-of-life as fas as major updates go. Just some security updates left in it now. But what a trooper it has been. By far my favorite phone ever.

CronoShot

Here's all the phones that currently run Marshmallow officially. Might be missing one or two but there's not many of them:

Nexus 5 / 6 / 5x / 6p

HTC One A9

Moto X Pure / Play

Unlocked LG G4
Considering Marshmallow is actually a fairly minor update and came out 4 months ago, this is a sad list.

if being the same meant we all get awesome phones with great customer service and amazing support with OS updates and so on and so forth then sign me up for the borg like a filthy commy.

I think the slogan is cool but it's ultimately meaningless to the average person. It's a commercial for android nerds and the few apple haters to rally around so I guess it does its job in that way.
nothing's stopping you from signing up tho.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Now this might be a bit obscure, but it seems like marshmallow employs a system wide audio upsample to 192khz if an external dac is hooked to it, and I'm wondering if anybody knows how to turn it off other than using an app like the only hf player that can send bit perfect audio to the external dac?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Considering Marshmallow is actually a fairly minor update and came out 4 months ago, this is a sad list.
I guess my IMEI hasn't passed their update list as my G4 hasn't been updated yet.

I sure hope it doesn't slow things down as this phone has been flawless so far on Lolipop.

Jigolo

Note 7 Edge
G5
Z6
Note 6
Nexus/Pixel

G5 can be crossed off my list for candidates for this year. Don't know the slash through code. forgot

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just saw those pics of the G5 from the Middle East. Looks like bottom drawer is confirmed and it looks surprisingly OK and not larger than their bottom bezels normally look like. I hope the chin color can be black like the top bezel. Not bad, but I need to see the specs and clarify this second screen stuff.

Toki767

Just saw those pics of the G5 from the Middle East. Looks like bottom drawer is confirmed and it looks surprisingly OK and not larger than their bottom bezels normally look like. I hope the chin color can be black like the top bezel. Not bad, but I need to see the specs and clarify this second screen stuff.

The front of the phone looks like even more screen than usual.

Yeah, a model that's all black on the front would look great, the silver chin isn't that bad, but I'd prefer to have something that looks more symmetrical.

I'm definitely looking forward to it's announcement on the 21st.

longdi

Banned
Looks I like I am getting s7, back to Samsung. :(

It is a full upgrade over z2 in all area, besides touchwiz...anyone know if I can get rid of TW without rooting? Can't stand the aesthetics of TW, so even if it is running in the background, I wish to remove the looks.

Jigolo

It is a full upgrade over z2 in all area, besides touchwiz...anyone know if I can get rid of TW without rooting? Can't stand the aesthetics of TW, so even if it is running in the background, I wish to remove the looks.

Not trying to be mean at all so don't take it that way.

But you've been using Android for x amount of years and never heard of different launchers?

longdi

Banned
Yap heard of launchers, just haven't dabble with one since s2 days.

Wonder if 3rd party launchers will have an impact on performance, will different launchers have different features.

Will be great if I can run either Google or Xperia OS on S7.

Samsung makes good hardware but TW design language is ugly as a bag.

nova launcher

zewone

Yap heard of launchers, just haven't dabble with one since s2 days.

Wonder if 3rd party launchers will have an impact on performance, will different launchers have different features.

Will be great if I can run either Google or Xperia OS on S7.

Samsung makes good hardware but TW design language is ugly as a bag.

Use the Google Now launcher. Basically looks like a Nexus phone.

clav

Lol wut?!

Why are you confused? That's what I got from the ad.

You can disable the extra store, replace the dialer easily, replace the lock screen with some work, but, yeah, settings will still be messed up

Store is still there. You know it's there to serve you ads.

Lock screen will never be the same. You most likely will get duplicate notifications, making you feel like you're doing something wrong.

Well, at least the stock dialer can be downloaded from the store, so there's that.

Nice but why isn't there just an option like on Linux desktops to change the look in settings without downloading a bunch of individual apps?

I really wish they would give up on their own ecosystem. What I would give for a Samsung Android TV

Guess Samsung really wants customers to buy from them like how Amazon is trying to do since forever.

I will never understand why people keep going back to Samsung. It always ends with the same disappointed, frustrated responses due to TouchWiz.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good 5'' phone with budget around $300 - $350. What are the good phones fall in this price range? I hate big ass phone and anything >5'' is a huge strain on my hand. I was considering a Moto G 3rd gen but it isn't launched in my country.

I mainly use the phone for calling, whatsapp, emails, waze, and internet browsing. Appreciate yours recommendation.

Blackhead

Redarse
Why are you confused? That's what I got from the ad.
You got from the ad "iPhones"? Where in the ad does it say more pianists use iPhones? Lol wut?!

Store is still there. You know it's there to serve you ads.

Lock screen will never be the same. You most likely will get duplicate notifications, making you feel like you're doing something wrong.
I don't think you know what disable means. And I'm guessing you've never actually tried to get Touchwiz as close to/better than stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom