• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
lg-g5-module-840x630.jpg

The grip, known as the LG Cam Plus (pictured above, courtesy of Android Authority), serves multiple functions. Besides alleviating the notoriously difficult balancing act associated with holding a razor-thin smartphone by its edges when taking pictures, it provides hardware buttons for commonly used functions like shutter release, zoom, and flash toggle. What’s more, it includes its own supplementary 1100mAh battery, which serves to complement the phone’s native, replaceable pack.

For the second module, the DAC, the manufacturer teamed up with high-end consumer electronics maker Bang and Olufsen to develop the LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play. Besides improving the native sound experience, the Hi-Fi Plus is also said to enhance audio routed through it from other connected Android devices or PCs.

Losing love for my Nexus 6. It still performs like a beast, but the camera is just soooo slow which is hard to deal with having an almost 2 year old running around. I'm talking 5+ seconds to boot up, another few seconds to focus.

Would moving to a 5X alleviate those issues?

Besides being vomit inducing, at least they're continuing to put in quality DACs within their phones.
Losing love for my Nexus 6. It still performs like a beast, but the camera is just soooo slow which is hard to deal with having an almost 2 year old running around. I'm talking 5+ seconds to boot up, another few seconds to focus.

6P will :p

Toki767

To be fair, it does look like ass, but because of the plastic covering. Given how gorgeous the Note 5/Edge+ and S6/Edge were I'd give them the benefit of the doubt here.

I noticed the plastic film right away. It was even more evident on the front of the phone. It's already confirmed to be a glass back, not plastic.

diaspora

We know the 5X can display some issues and they might be attributed to encryption of a 64 bit device with 2GB of memory, but does say the Z5 Compact carry the same issues?

Mindwipe

Crap camera software combined with the fact that the Nexus 5X has performance issues because (Presumably) Android can't handle encryption with only 2GB's of RAM.

Crypto operations are done by a secure enclave on the processor, not in RAM.

But Google has fucked the driver up for this two Nexus devices in a row. It's actually amazing.

Am I the only one that can't get excited for Galaxy S phones anymore? I know that have outstanding hardware and the fact they are going back to waterproofing and microSD is very nice. But the design is just so... ugh. It's just bland on bland.

Issues like that make it more and more tempting to go with Samsung or LG despite the fact that after a camera I value stock Android more than any other feature.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Former S5 owner here. Had the same problem after about two months of owning the device. Just wait until it becomes a laggy mess and starts sending multiple texts to people. You're gonna love it. The S5 had a good feature set and TouchWiz has a LOT over stock Android, but I'd never buy another Samsung phone again after the S5.

Pesronally, I went with the Moto X 2014 after that and then the Moto X Pure Edition (because I wanted a grippier back, better camera, front flash, and micro-SD). Other than a few nitpicky issues, I couldn't be happier.

EDIT:
Just remembered my first smartphone was the Galaxy Nexus which also ran into the same issues my S5 did. Yeah, again, never go Samsung.

That sucks, which is why I hope to find some kind of firmware to fix all of this, hopefully someone here knows.

Do you know what os version you can update all the way to? I think some of the carriers released 5.1.x which is much better than 5.0.x

The Android 5.0.x build provided by google is terrible. If I remember correctly the Verizon S5 never got 5.1.x which would explain why those users are still miserable and should be cleaned up when the 32 bit unencrypted 6.0.x finally drops.

Not sure, I'll have to check, as my phone is an unlocked phone without a provider. But do you know if there is a stable official firmware to upgrade to that keeps my battery life? Or do I have to either root my phone, factory reset it, or wait for Marshmellow, which I don't even know if I can get without a certain provider?

clav

Am I the only one that can't get excited for Galaxy S phones anymore? I know that have outstanding hardware and the fact they are going back to waterproofing and microSD is very nice. But the design is just so... ugh. It's just bland on bland.

What exactly do you want in a smartphone design?

Draw it.

Anyone with good guides/advice for root/ROMs for a LG G4 on ATT? I'm a complete noobie but it's a spare phone I have I'm curious to try experimenting with.

Didn't know where to start on XDA...

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Well crap. Guess I'll stick with the 6 for now. As is I could get a 5X with minimal cost from selling my 6.. not the case with the 6P.

I can only tell you how my own 5X operates, but it takes about a second for the camera to open and another second to focus.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
5X camera is fine. It's slower than my 6P but it's fine. It's not particularly good but it's no Nexus 6 slow.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That looks like a camera grip, with scrolling wheel and buttons.

That's pretty much what people are saying it is. If we want camera control buttons and scrolling wheels this is about as good as it will get considering phones are so thin nowadays.

VoxPop

image.php

Seriously though, just took delivery of an Android TV Bravia just over an hour ago and still not up and running yet. The true Android experience™. I'm lucky I like mucking around with this stuff.

Won't be the true experience till you void the warranty and install a ROM! And widgets!

That's pretty cool though. Didn't even know when they made those things.

I'm confused with all the hate that the S7 (how it looks) is getting. It looks just like the S6 with only a hint of the terribleness that is the S3. The S6/Edge were one of the few Android phones that I thought looked great. Besides it's not like Samsung is going to completely change how their phone looks till Apple reveals the iPhone 7.

Hasney

Won't be the true experience till you void the warranty and install a ROM! And widgets!

That's pretty cool though. Didn't even know when they made those things.

I'm confused with all the hate that the S7 (how it looks) is getting. It looks just like the S6 with only a hint of the terribleness that is the S3. The S6/Edge were one of the few Android phones that I thought looked great. Besides it's not like Samsung is going to completely change how their phone looks till Apple reveals the iPhone 7.

Yeah, the app selection is technically more limited, but I can still sideload any .apk I want, so if it's not in the store, I can just shove it on there which is neat. Full DS4 compatability too.

Obviously, touch only apps would shit the bed a little.

wilflare

I wish Google would just come up with a solid backup feature...
would make updating, "reformatting" the phone a much simpler process

Making anything that looks closer to the S3 as opposed to further from that hideous thing is a mistake in itself. I say that as a former S3 owner too. Looking back, that thing was probably the ugliest phone I've ever owned. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought it.

I wish Google would just come up with a solid backup feature...
would make updating, "reformatting" the phone a much simpler process

Whats it missing that you are looking for?

Google restores everything but text messages these days. Apps can be backed up to Google drive but the dev has to use it.

My N6 is the exact same way.

My N6 is the exact same way.

Real pain isn't it? The amount of light available definitely makes it faster. Still pics that I'm able to focus on and take time to get a good shot I'm completely satisfied.. but anything in motion is a no go.

I love the size of the thing, though. Shame there likely won't be another Nexus that size.

Argyle

Doesn't Marshmallow allow us to not allow individual permissions in all apps?

Does iOS not allow apps to mine data from other phone features?

I think you're still screwed with Marshmallow. That calculator app has an old style prompt for permissions on install, so I think it can mine your data and send it when it installs, before you can turn the permissions off.

What exactly do you want in a smartphone design?

Draw it.

It's not that. It's just that it's bland in the sense that it basically looks like the same phone every single year. Maybe a little less bezel here or maybe a curve here or maybe the shape around the camera is different, but as with like iPhones, they all look almost the same. To me, it's just boring and bland.

There's no reason to make change for the sake of change if you already have a good design down. I don't get the whole "Boring and bland" thing because no smartphone really screws in the design department to me, I don't look at X phone and say "Wow that looks really incredible". Look at HTC, they moved from the great design black-bar aside that the HTC One series offered and made this horrible mock iPhone with the A9.

I mean looking at a lot of the top Android OEM's (LG, HTC, Sony, Motorola) they've all nearly recycled the same design of their last generation device except with small improvements. That isn't limited to Android either since it sounds like Apple's going to be using the same design of the iPhone 6 series except without the headphone jack and maybe smaller bezels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom