• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Nextbit Robin will be forgotten in the next month. I see no point in anyone getting it. It doesn't even look good. Looks like a fucking Polly Pocket phone.

The price isn't bad, and it has an extra gig of RAM which should mean if side steps the Nexus 5X issues.

That being said its still stupid.

Profit share of smartphone market:

EpI1BEd.png

Why is my Apple stock going down goddamn

Hey guys, Looking at getting the LG V10. Thoughts? Is the battery life any good?
No, I can't afford a Nexus 6P outright. Otherwise, I would've gotten that.

Staab

FUCKSHITCRAPCUNTGOD!

My mint green Z3C just fell on the floor and got it's glass broken. I'm lost. Insurance is void as well as I've dropped it before lol.

So what should I do tomorrow - buy a new (glorious mint green) Z3C for about $300, or a (not as glorious but still cool yellow) Z5C for about $500?

EDIT: RIP my mint green lover

Oh man, my glorious red Z3C almost died on me in the humid weather of Florida, thankfully it seems to be back to normal now.
I hope that thing lasts me a couple more years, it's goddamn fabulous.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Posting this here too, want some more input on this!

There's a pretty amazing deal on the 5X at Elgiganten here in Sweden right now (link for any Swedes in here), which makes the 32GB model literally half the price of the 32GB 6P. Is the 6P enough of a step up for me not to jump on the 5X deal? 5.2" is easily enough for me, and I don't particularly think I need higher than 1080p resolution either (at least at that size). I'm coming from the N5, FYI.

tzare

I still remember that blind camera test where iphone won on an android website and everyone had meltdowns

good times good times. The natural colours beat any extreme post processing to sharpen/saturate images to me and apparently lots of others as well. Not to say s6 camera is bad. I own an S6. It's my phone right now. Camera is fantastic. But to act like it's in a different tier is a joke. They all have faults.

iphone camera has faults too.
You were the one that said that iphone destroyed samsung's in low light. Most high end phones cameras perform about the same, some better here and worse there, and it seems than overall, iphone camera is not the best anymore. Not even the one in the most recent iphone could beat the almost 8 month old s6 camera.
This is not gingerbread era anymore.
Capable cameras now need to expand to midrange phones, since all are good enough on high end devices. And unless someone adds a huge sensor,or some new tech, things will be more or less the same. May have better, faster software but raw pictures will be what the sensor allows. Even adding dual cameras, won't have a huge impact. Maybe for bokeh, hdr.. but i doubt we will

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple to get dslr results shortly. This debate will soon be moot. Two lenses and a beast processor. I don't think people understand how incredible Apple is at photography development. For example, True Tone Flash. There are photographers who spend thousands of dollars on flash and lighting equipment alone to achieve what that can do. It combined both a cool white and warm amber LED and, in real time analyzes the color of the surrounding and fires the flash to suit, thus giving you the best possible flash for that environment (over 1000 possible color variations). No other flash in any camera ever produced what that did.

Controlling the hardware and software stack leads to huge photography developments like that. Just wait, my children.

kami_sama

Has there been a S7/S7 edge leaks where they show the usb connector?
I suppose they are using a microusb one, but would be awesome if they use a type c one.

tzare

Apple to get dslr results shortly. This debate will soon be moot. Two lenses and a beast processor. I don't think people understand how incredible Apple is at photography development. For example, True Tone Flash. There are photographers who spend thousands of dollars on flash and lighting equipment alone to achieve what that can do. It combined both a cool white and warm amber LED and, in real time analyzes the color of the surrounding and fires the flash to suit, thus giving you the best possible flash for that environment (over 1000 possible color variations). No other flash in any camera ever produced what that did.

Controlling the hardware and software stack leads to huge photography developments like that. Just wait, my children.

sure. All professional photographers will ditch their expensive dslrs and lenses and use an iphone 7 instead. In fact all hollywood movies will be recorded on iphones too next year.
I also expect iphones to be used by NASA on the next Mars explorer.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
sure. All professional photographers will ditch their expensive dslrs and lenses and use an iphone 7 instead. In fact all hollywood movies will be recorded on iphones too next year.
I also expect iphones to be used by NASA on the next Mars explorer.

Is that what I said?

tzare

Is that what I said?

dslr results shortly. You said that. You know what a dslr is don't you?
I mean, there's a reason why those exist and are huge and are huge because of sensors.... But hey i may eat crow and apple will bring us tech from the future because they have best engineers in the world .
If two lenses and fast processing was enough that would have already been included in photo gear. Sony and others already use custom processing (bionz and similar processors) to help.

And i am not saying two lenses will not improve something. Sony has that tech in the pipeline so it will probably have some benefits. But Dslr? Lol

The rest was my fault if you wish. Just joking. Really some of you believe Apple are just semi gods or something. Sure they are good , but c'mon.

Mindwipe

This is not, and will not ever be, anything like "DSLR" results.

Apple are making admirable movement in compact and mobile photography, but they are not yet able to disrupt physics.

Jigolo

dslr results shortly. You said that. You know what a dslr is don't you?
I mean, there's a reason why those exist and are huge and are huge because of sensors.... But hey i may eat crow and apple will bring us tech from the future because they have best engineers in the world .
If two lenses and fast processing was enough that would have already been included in photo gear. Sony and others already use custom processing (bionz and similar processors) to help.

And i am not saying two lenses will not improve something. Sony has that tech in the pipeline so it will probably have some benefits. But Dslr? Lol

The rest was my fault if you wish. Just joking. Really some of you believe Apple are just semi gods or something. Sure they are good , but c'mon.
lol the guy probably never used a dslr. but hey cameras from the past year might be better than the d70 but id have to check

tzare

Apple are making admirable movement in compact and mobile photography, but they are not yet able to disrupt physics.

maybe the recent Gravitational Waves thing was an apple discovery and may head to iphone7
Who knows.

ParityBit

Got a pair for my kids at Christmas, 3 and 5 years old respectively. Hardware-wise they aren't great, 1GB of RAM just won't cut it these days, while the software has a few niggles that take getting used to especially when compared to stock. That two year no questions guarantee is a huge plus though, my five year old went through 2 Nexus 7's prior to me going for the Fire. While you might encounter usage problems, your kid will likely never notice, and they are great little media consumption devices with plenty of content freely available through the Free Time feature.

Word of warning, many advise side loading the Play Store to sidestep app availability issues on the Amazon store, but doing so voids the guarantee.

Awesome, thanks. I will just stick with Amazon store for now. Do not need to void it. Can you explain the Free Time feature to me? I also know it is free for a year ... how much after that year?

Edit: When they announce the S7, will they announce the S7 Edge +? I want the bigger screen.

Ty4on

Wait, are you guys saying Apple won't have the tech to make it possible to make movies lit by moonlight? :(
It's not fair for cameras that can't do full sensor readout fast enough for movies, but for those that can I find videos to be a great way of gauging low light performance because you can't use shutter speeds slower than 1/30 and noise is much harder to hide when it's moving all over the frame. As impressive as those A7s videos are you can still see a lot of softness and noise moving all over the frame as the NR tries to suppress it.

I don't have a big library of shots taken by older cameras, but even 10+ year old digital cameras can take much sharper photos than any iPhone or comparable smartphone in good light. Obviously not counting the very old with less than 6 megapixels, bright hot spots or sensors smaller than APS-C.
Modern smartphones still need to employ a ton of noise reduction, even in daylight photos which kills fine detail. Compare the iPhone 6s and Canon 5D (2005 DSLR). In the 6s shot the sky is very noisy, especially the darker clouds. There's still some noise in the 5D sky (top left corner), but it's much, much better. The roof tiles on the 6s show that typical "NR then sharpen" algorithm where some are blurred out and those that weren't are overemphasized and look really out of place. The tiles on the right are almost indistinguishable and look like mush. While there is some detail on the left, if you follow the lines traced by the roof tiles you'll see a bunch of gaps from where the sharpening didn't get enough detail. In the 5D shot the bricks on the bridge just look like bricks.
If you look at the grass in the iPhone it looks like a watercolor painting. Compare that to this 5D shot where there's actually some detail to it, even in the shadows.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the best list of phones that are available running Marshmallow?

Any other phones rumoured or released with a hardware keyboard besides the Priv? Any new leaks of when Vienna will come out?

forget DSLR. I would love it if website compared their phone reviews with point and shoot camera.

for example when reviewing s7 or iphone 7 or g5 they would also have Sony rx100, nex 5t and/ or some other camera that are 500$ or less. This way you can see if there is any difference.

DSLR do not need to worry about dying just yet but I would love to see comparison between point and shoot and smart phones.

Does the website that does it exists? I want the picture of same objects taken at the same time comparison.

Noema

What's the best list of phones that are available running Marshmallow?

Here's all the phones that currently run Marshmallow officially. Might be missing one or two but there's not many of them:

Nexus 5 / 6 / 5x / 6p

HTC One A9

Moto X Pure / Play

Unlocked LG G4

kami_sama

I'm partial to Type C. After owning a phone with it, I already have some cables laying around. Also, It's better in almost every way.

And I hope I get Marshmallow in my OP2, they've still got 1 and a half months until the end of Q1, but we already know how the company operates.

diaspora

Apple and any other manufacturer will never get DLSR results unless they figure out how to magically break physics. I mean the suggestion is beyond absurd.

Blackhead

Redarse
forget DSLR. I would love it if website compared their phone reviews with point and shoot camera.

for example when reviewing s7 or iphone 7 or g5 they would also have Sony rx100, nex 5t and/ or some other camera that are 500$ or less. This way you can see if there is any difference.

DSLR do not need to worry about dying just yet but I would love to see comparison between point and shoot and smart phones.

Does the website that does it exists? I want the picture of same objects taken at the same time comparison.
DPreview. While their website isn't set up to directly compare between phones and cameras you could still download the pictures, open two browser windows side-by-side or something similar e.g iPhone 6s+ and Sony rxr1 II
Here's all the phones that currently run Marshmallow officially. Might be missing one or two but there's not many of them:

Nexus 5 / 6 / 5x / 6p

HTC One A9

Moto X Pure / Play

Unlocked LG G4
Thanks

Bboy AJ

90% of you take shit photos, anyway, so iPhone or Samsung or dslr is irrelevant. No matter what you use, photos of your Amiibo collection look like rubbish.

VoxPop

Nexus 5 / 6 / 5x / 6p

HTC One A9

Moto X Pure / Play

Unlocked LG G4

Lol didn't this update come out back in November'ish?

Noema

Lol didn't this update come out back in November'ish?

October 5th.

For me the biggest issue isn't so much how long OEMs take to update their phones. It's how quickly they abandon them.

If your phone was released in 2014 there's a good chance it'll never run Marshmallow officially.

I'm not expecting iOS levels of support, but at least provide 18 months of updates for your $500+ flagship.

Less than a week until that S7 Edge reveal. Supposedly preorders start on the 22nd. Hoping T-Mobile has some kind of crazy special on it like they did with the Iphones.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Awesome, thanks. I will just stick with Amazon store for now. Do not need to void it. Can you explain the Free Time feature to me? I also know it is free for a year ... how much after that year?

Edit: When they announce the S7, will they announce the S7 Edge +? I want the bigger screen.

Each Fire Tablet comes with a year of Free Time, it's a huge library of apps, videos, and books for kids, a significant amount of them featuring characters kids love like Dora the Explorer, Caillou, Curious George and Toca. This is regardless of your Prime subscription.

Depending on the age of your kids, it's an absolute Godsend. With my five year old, I know I can lock the tablet down via parental controls then let her go nuts with the Free Time, downloading apps and videos to her heart's content, and it doesn't cost me a penny. The apps in Free Time are all ad and link free too, as far as I've seen, so no worries about your kid clicking something shiny and suddenly they are outside the walled garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom