• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Whats it missing that you are looking for?

Google restores everything but text messages these days. Apps can be backed up to Google drive but the dev has to use it.

Nah.

The lack of text backup is a big deal. If you have two different devices the list of apps to be installed gets confused constantly. There's lots of little crap, like how contact photos sync is still broken, and the "Me" section in address book is not backed up to Gmail so I have to recreate my contact card (there's also a significant bug that means if your SIM has your phone number ported to it you're boned forever and it reads your SIM's placeholder phone number).

This should be a one click operation by now and it's just not.

I think you're still screwed with Marshmallow. That calculator app has an old style prompt for permissions on install, so I think it can mine your data and send it when it installs, before you can turn the permissions off.

Is that for all apps on Marshmallow, not being able to turn certain permissions off until after the app is installed? (I don't care about that calculator app, but many apps I do try and download have access to my contacts and other stuff that doesn't make sense. Even for legit apps from major publishers.)

How does iOS do it? Do they have access to stuff like android apps do?

I massively prefer android, but this could make me go back to iOS.

Mindwipe

Doesn't Marshmallow allow us to not allow individual permissions in all apps?

Does iOS not allow apps to mine data from other phone features?

Marshmallow does give individual permissions for many sections, but Caller ID is not one of them.

I actually do think that's a serious issue with Android's permission system - you have no ability to deny an app access to Call ID, your phone number, and unique identifiers for your device. It also allows any app to see the list of accounts registered on your device, which strikes me as a huge security hole and I don't understand how the fuck it ever happened without an explicit grant prompt.

iOS doesn't allow apps to access any of those under any circumstances, so doesn't need a permission dialogue. I think that's also unhelpful in some cases, but it should clearly be a user permission to deny or grant and it's crazy that it isn't. It's also crazy that it's lumped in on the permission screen with "Get phone info" which many apps need to use because they need to know if the should suspend the audio when a call comes in, which should be an non-permission API FFS.

You don't have to worry about installing an app and removing permissions, the app does not get that access until you have accepted the prompt, which it must do the first time it requests it.

Marshmallow does give individual permissions for many sections, but Caller ID is not one of them.

I actually do think that's a serious issue with Android's permission system - you have no ability to deny an app access to Call ID, your phone number, and unique identifiers for your device. It also allows any app to see the list of accounts registered on your device, which strikes me as a huge security hole and I don't understand how the fuck it ever happened without an explicit grant prompt.

iOS doesn't allow apps to access any of those under any circumstances, so doesn't need a permission dialogue. I think that's also unhelpful in some cases, but it should clearly be a user permission to deny or grant and it's crazy that it isn't. It's also crazy that it's lumped in on the permission screen with "Get phone info" which many apps need to use because they need to know if the should suspend the audio when a call comes in, which should be an non-permission API FFS.

You don't have to worry about installing an app and removing permissions, the app does not get that access until you have accepted the prompt, which it must do the first time it requests it.

So an app will ask to access each individual permission as it comes up?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
CbgQp-6WcAQOUhA.jpg

Shirow

Banned
I'm currently trying to get rid of my current first gen moto g. I saw they got Galaxy note 4's on GameStop for 299. Are these still worth it?

I wasn't looking to spend more than that and looked at the one plus X but this phone seemed more fully featured than that one.

reKon

Banned
I guess my phoen decision just got much easier.

Other than having at least a snapdragon 820, my next phone must have the following:

- Fingerprint scanner
- 12 band LTE
- At least a 64Gb storage option or expandable storage
- Good battery life

Most important out of these are the good battery life and 12 band LTE.

Everything points to the S7, but I'll first need to see what battery test bring and what the final design looks like. Otherwise, I might as well go with the next Xperia Z6 Compact, but if I get the European version, I'm sure I'm going to run into some kind of issue with not being able to use VoLTE.

12 band has now become important to me because I did not know that T-Mobile really did expand their 4G LTE coverage. I though the expansion wasn't going to happen for at least another year...

Can anyone attest to the coverage being much better now from using a phone that has 12 band capability?

Wreav

Banned
I thought 12 band has been around for about a year? Maybe I was confused, seem to recall there were some questions if the Nexus phones had it.

diaspora

Other than having at least a snapdragon 820, my next phone must have the following:

- Fingerprint scanner
- 12 band LTE
- Good battery life

Everything puts to the S7, but I'll first need to see what battery test bring and what the final design looks like. Otherwise, I might as well go with the next Xperia Z6 Compact, but if I get the European version, I'm sure I'm going to run into some kind of issue with not being able to use VoLTE.

12 band has now become important to me because I did not know that T-Mobile really did expand their 4G LTE coverage. I though the expansion wasn't going to happen for at least another year...

Can anyone attest to the coverage being much better now from using a phone that has 12 band capability?

The S7 would use Exynos, not an 820 though right?

reKon

Banned
The S7 would use Exynos, not an 820 though right?

US version is very likely going to be using the snapdragon 820. Exynos version is probably going to be used for Europe/Asia (I think this is how it's always been, with exception of last year).

edit: beat

reKon

Banned
Really hope that S7 doesn't end up looking as ugly in person. Damn, my last two phone have been sexy and the Galaxy S6 looked good as well.

- Fingerprint scanner
- 12 band LTE
- Good battery life

Everything points to the S7, but I'll first need to see what battery test bring and what the final design looks like. Otherwise, I might as well go with the next Xperia Z6 Compact, but if I get the European version, I'm sure I'm going to run into some kind of issue with not being able to use VoLTE.

Do you really need a new phone now? Why not wait instead of jumping to an S7?

diaspora

Do we even know anything about the Z6 yet? I mean considering Sony's policy of letting anyone get access to the source to fuck around with, I'd imagine I'd be better off with them on updates versus Samsung. IIRC the S6 isn't getting 6.0 until April in Canada.

Why do they use different SoCs for different parts of the world, anyway? Patents?

Different frequencies. Qualcomm is still king in that regard.

Either way, the US and China get the superior version of the S7. Adreno runs miles around the 12-core Mali in the Exynos.

reKon

Banned
Do you really need a new phone now? Why not wait instead of jumping to an S7?

What am I going to be waiting for though?

I don't see any phone launching later in the year that will offer me significantly more than what I would get from the S7. Snapdragon 820 should be a top performer (with exception to the next iPhone or perhaps a phone with a Kirin chip). The only other phones that I will consider must be around 5 inches in screen size or lower and have good battery life. High end phones like this are close to non-existent. I mean yeah, I could wait until the Xperia Z6 Compact drops in September or so, but there's a potential for issues with 12 band compatible for T-Mobile.

But to really answer your question, no I don't NEED one. But it would be smart for me to hop on an equipment payment plan as soon as soon possible on T-Mobile because my I expense my cell phone bill through my company. I haven't done this in over the year, so I've been actually losing out by not choosing a new device ever since paying off my M7 more than 8 months ago.

Additionally, getting the S7 would be mean that I instantly have access to better coverage when I'm traveling in the US, mainly between Chicago and Michigan. I've been able to survive easily without having full coverage, but there were still plenty of times when I would lose 4g/3g signal for 40-45 mins in duration a couple of times when traveling over there.

zewone

Same reason I'm getting the S7 Edge since my company pays for my phone bill I can just get it through AT&T Next without a dime out of my pocket.

reKon

Banned
You'll know what the G5 offers before the S7 comes out. I can guarantee that to you guys on the fence on what to get in the near future.

I'm making assumption that the actual phone body size will be too big for what I want after seeing the G3 and G4. Unless they are able to shrink down theie 5.3 inch screen into a smaller footprint than I've seen from them, I don't give a shit.

Do we even know anything about the Z6 yet? I mean considering Sony's policy of letting anyone get access to the source to fuck around with, I'd imagine I'd be better off with them on updates versus Samsung. IIRC the S6 isn't getting 6.0 until April in Canada.

I'd love to get a Sony phone but the combination of price and not being able to be on any network is a real bummer for me. Since I got the 6P, it was able to be on Verizon with no issues (except it handles voice mails weird). As a side thing, I LOVE my 6P, but I know for the longest time I wanted a Sony phone (before I got the 6P).

Wreav

Banned
I find the fact that Samsung is going back to waterproof with a glass back phone so strange, since waterproofing is a form of ruggedization.

You can drop it in the pool and be fine, but lord help you if you drop it on the carpet from 3 feet up!

reKon

Banned
I find the fact that Samsung is going back to waterproof with a glass back phone so strange, since waterproofing is a form of ruggedization.

You can drop it in the pool and be fine, but lord help you if you drop it on the carpet from 3 feet up!

what gorilla glass are we on now tho?

but seriously

Toki767

They're probably working on their aluminum for their S9.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone redesign just uses sapphire glass all around.

diaspora

I'd love to get a Sony phone but the combination of price and not being able to be on any network is a real bummer for me. Since I got the 6P, it was able to be on Verizon with no issues (except it handles voice mails weird). As a side thing, I LOVE my 6P, but I know for the longest time I wanted a Sony phone (before I got the 6P).

Isn't Verizon the only company this is an issue for though? In Canada, AFAIK you can use basically any smartphone on any network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom