• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

HTC is breaking my heart. They used to have the best hardware and still could which is what makes me so disappointed. 😫😫
Hoping these are dummy phones and the real M10 is M9 evleaks concept

OnePlus getting desperate. They sent me a $50 off coupon for the OP2. So now it's $299. I'm not going to use the code, so if anyone wants a OnePlus 2 pm me.

diaspora

HTC is breaking my heart. They used to have the best hardware and still could which is what makes me so disappointed. ����

Their cameras have been ass for a few generations now. Not even mediocre, just bad.

Talon

HTC is breaking my heart. They used to have the best hardware and still could which is what makes me so disappointed. 😫😫
They've catapulted two design heads in the last 4 years, and they've been burning cash like it's hot for the last 6 quarters.

What'd you expect?

diaspora

IMO the past few HTC devices (barring the literally hot one) would have performed better had they at least used a standard Sony camera versus whatever nonsense they were using earlier.

reKon

Banned
It's really sad. They nailed it with M7 One. All they had to do was make the proper adjustments and improvements while maintaining that design.

This was still the sexiest phone I've ever seen and owned. It was the only phone I've ever had on where people at different festivals/events in Chicago actually asked me about what phone it was.

wilflare

It's really sad. They nailed it with M7 One. All they had to do was make the proper adjustments and improvements while maintaining that design.

This was still the sexiest phone I've ever seen and owned. It was the only phone I've ever had on where people at different festivals/events in Chicago actually asked me about what phone it was.

My Nexus 6P is getting the same interest from friends too. They are like "is that an iPhone6S+?" or like "The photos are amazing! I wanna get one too"

They only frowned at the fact it's made by Huawei. Got at least one friend switching to the 6P after looking at the photos taken!

Marshmallow on the M9 is actually really good. Battery life is alot better probably due to Doze. Material Design has been incorporated into alot of the settings stuff and HTC removed some of their bloat stuff such as backup since it is baked into 6.0.

What am I going to be waiting for though?

I don't see any phone launching later in the year that will offer me significantly more than what I would get from the S7. Snapdragon 820 should be a top performer (with exception to the next iPhone or perhaps a phone with a Kirin chip). The only other phones that I will consider must be around 5 inches in screen size or lower and have good battery life. High end phones like this are close to non-existent. I mean yeah, I could wait until the Xperia Z6 Compact drops in September or so, but there's a potential for issues with 12 band compatible for T-Mobile.

But to really answer your question, no I don't NEED one. But it would be smart for me to hop on an equipment payment plan as soon as soon possible on T-Mobile because my I expense my cell phone bill through my company. I haven't done this in over the year, so I've been actually losing out by not choosing a new device ever since paying off my M7 more than 8 months ago.

Additionally, getting the S7 would be mean that I instantly have access to better coverage when I'm traveling in the US, mainly between Chicago and Michigan. I've been able to survive easily without having full coverage, but there were still plenty of times when I would lose 4g/3g signal for 40-45 mins in duration a couple of times when traveling over there.
Good post. I wasn't condemning you or anything like that, I just wanted to see the thought process of choosing a Samsung device.
I still can't get over the massive disappointment I felt when the actual M9 was shown.

I still believe!!

Jzero

I picked one up a few weeks ago. Have a Fire TV as well. I mostly use both of them as just Netflix/Hulu/Plex boxes

I stopped using my Chromecast and Fire TV once i got my Android TV TV. It's a damn shame i can't cast Spotify though. Literally the only thing i miss.

I stopped using my Chromecast and Fire TV once i got my Android TV TV. It's a damn shame i can't cast Spotify though. Literally the only thing i miss.

My chromecast usage completely stopped when I got the Shield Android TV. Android TV is just awesome. I am going pick up one of the new Sony Bravia Android TVs when they come out in the next month or so.
The new models combine the google voice search into the regular remote so none of that two remote crap from last years models. Cant wait.

My brother in law just bought a Samsung TV and a new Chromecast and Apple TV to go with it. He saved like 100 bucks or so on an open box on the Samsung and then spent another 185 on streaming devices. :/
If he would have bought a Sony he wouldnt have needed to by the Apple TV or Chromecast LOL.

Exis

Well I am hoping I can cast to the Android TV player like I can a chromecast and I am curious how other apps will work on it. I debated between it and the Remix OS box and I still may get one of those as I am damn curious about it.

Well I am hoping I can cast to the Android TV player like I can a chromecast and I am curious how other apps will work on it. I debated between it and the Remix OS box and I still may get one of those as I am damn curious about it.

You certainly can do the same casting as chromecast. There are only a few exceptions.

- I don't think Spotify works, as mentioned above. Which is a Spotify thing.
- You don't get some of the features from the official google chromecast app (most people don't even know this app exists anyway)

The app experience on Android TV has mostly been really good. Not all the big players are great but most are pretty good. For example the Android TV HBO Go app is awesome but the Showtime Anytime one is kind of garbage. Sling TV on Android TV is pretty sick compared to Chromecast.

Edit: This place needs an official Android TV thread.

CbgQp-6WcAQOUhA.jpg

it looks so god damn much like the 3 it's crazy

Only a couple of more days until the reveal. I think LG is doing theirs the same day also. That S7 Edge is gonna be mine if T-Mobile has a good special on it.

catmincer

IMO the past few HTC devices (barring the literally hot one) would have performed better had they at least used a standard Sony camera versus whatever nonsense they were using earlier.

The amusing thing is the Lumia 1520/930 used the same camera sensor and they both take way better photos than the HTC phones. :(

I actually have an e9+ too. The camera is awful at night, during the day it's decent.

My chromecast usage completely stopped when I got the Shield Android TV. Android TV is just awesome. I am going pick up one of the new Sony Bravia Android TVs when they come out in the next month or so.
The new models combine the google voice search into the regular remote so none of that two remote crap from last years models. Cant wait.

My brother in law just bought a Samsung TV and a new Chromecast and Apple TV to go with it. He saved like 100 bucks or so on an open box on the Samsung and then spent another 185 on streaming devices. :/
If he would have bought a Sony he wouldnt have needed to by the Apple TV or Chromecast LOL.

<3 Fire TV Stick

Kuros

Do we even know anything about the Z6 yet? I mean considering Sony's policy of letting anyone get access to the source to fuck around with, I'd imagine I'd be better off with them on updates versus Samsung. IIRC the S6 isn't getting 6.0 until April in Canada.

If you want to mess around with roms you'll be OK but if we're talking about official updates Sony is as slow if not slower than Samsung.

Argyle

Is that for all apps on Marshmallow, not being able to turn certain permissions off until after the app is installed? (I don't care about that calculator app, but many apps I do try and download have access to my contacts and other stuff that doesn't make sense. Even for legit apps from major publishers.)

How does iOS do it? Do they have access to stuff like android apps do?

I massively prefer android, but this could make me go back to iOS.

If the app was built for the new permissions system it will not prompt at install and will ask you as it tries to access those permissions when you run the app.

If the app was not built for the new permissions system it will ask you to accept all the permissions up front before install, and you will have to disable them one by one after the fact. This is how this calculator app is set up so if it mines your data at install time you are screwed (you did, after all, give it access to all that stuff).

Just be careful about which permissions apps ask for and you'll be fine.

Saiyan-Rox

I quite like the design of the Nextbit Robin... Shame about the software

IMG_0011-980x653.jpg

I was looking at the netxbit robin and was pretty tempted as i really like the look of it.

then I saw the whole software side of it and tbh I can see the whole offload to the cloud thing and waiting for things to be redownloaded being a constant pain in the ass. This would be worse due to my carriers "4G" being like 2Mb/s -_-

Saying that the the developers have made it so cyanogenmod can be put on it so that should make it better.

So I've been away for 3 days to Manchester and Liverpool and been talking pics as you do (and some slow motion video for the first time) and woke up this morning to a Notification from the Photo's app that it made a story from the pics/videos. It's actually pretty damn awesome.

Mindwipe

I was looking at the netxbit robin and was pretty tempted as i really like the look of it.

then I saw the whole software side of it and tbh I can see the whole offload to the cloud thing and waiting for things to be redownloaded being a constant pain in the ass. This would be worse due to my carriers "4G" being like 2Mb/s -_-

Saying that the the developers have made it so cyanogenmod can be put on it so that should make it better.

Yeah, the device is pretty attractive, but the cloud thing is just a fundamentally bad idea. I don't get why they think otherwise. I can already delete apps and redownload them, and all this is asking is for me to trust an algorithm on it and when I suddenly remember I need a rarely used app in a low signal area I'd find I was screwed.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah, the device is pretty attractive, but the cloud thing is just a fundamentally bad idea. I don't get why they think otherwise. I can already delete apps and redownload them, and all this is asking is for me to trust an algorithm on it and when I suddenly remember I need a rarely used app in a low signal area I'd find I was screwed.

I thought the exact same thing when I watched a review on it.

I can see it working well say if you're recording a video and suddnely your memory is full it won't stop the video recording like it normally would but how often would you find yourself needing that?

I do like the clock on the lockscreen though lol

Hardware buttons. In 2016.

Just shameful.

Ah, yes. The magical software buttons that keep covering media buttons when you maximize embedded videos. Fantastic innovation, would use again.

There are so few phones out there that actually couldn't house hardware buttons in the lower bezel, it's a joke.

Blackhead

Redarse

Yep, honoring their warranty even if the phone is running a custom Rom is a game changer. Is there any reason to not recommend this over a nexus 5x? No Nexus protect but it does have 3GB RAM. Hmmm....

reKon

Banned
Today in What Facebook Fucked Up In The App Today:

The latest Facebook for Android update accidentally nukes widgets. GG Facebook

The HTC iOne i10

If the Vive doesn't sell like 68 million units, HTC is a ded company.

I've heard that both Sony and HTC are dead company's for the past 2 to 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom