• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

Anyone's Nexus 6P heats up?
Sometimes I wake up (after missing the alarms), the phone will next to me like a super hot brick.

I kinda miss having a stylus...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone's Nexus 6P heats up?
Sometimes I wake up (after missing the alarms), the phone will next to me like a super hot brick.

I kinda miss having a stylus...
Yeah it does. It slows down then, too. Super annoying. But that's the #810life

Lol what's going on in here. Don't worry boys, I'll be the one to make the latest and greatest Android skin/OS without the trash and all the polish of iOS. Like MIUI without the tackiness and it's going to become the most widely used platform in the world. You heard it here first.

The savior.

Megasoum

Banned
I assume this isn't possible but is there any way to remove the ugly YouTube icon that shows up on a bunch of cover art in Google Play Music now?

Pachimari

I tried VR for the first time yesterday with the Samsung Gear VR headset and while I am not blown away, I am surely very impressed. I saw a pianist play in his apartment and a Circei de Soleil performance.

Does this thing have worthwhile content? I have seen there's a star map, street view VR and some video service with nature and one game in Into the Dead interests me with its use. Is there any other content, lime VR movies or stuff on the Internet?

Also can a Galaxy S7 Edge from the Philippines be used in Denmark?

Sorry for these questions but I don't have that many minutes of data here.

then why can't i activate exchange accounts on my gmail? i can't on my note, i can't on my huawei g7, i can't on my xperia m4.

Google photos is complicated, your typical mom will delete photos both on device and the cloud. That does not happen with a classic gallery.
And i am a huge google photos fanboy. I recommend it to everyone. But it isn't user friendly at all.
And video support? c'mon , i just want to play a movie, i need a decent app. MX player, but samsung video app will make it easier, for example for regular smartphone owners. Try to do that on a nexus device. It comes with no video app, besides google play movies, which as play music and most gapps, are cloud oriented..

Because those phone companies aren't supporting it. Nexus devices only have Gmail and there's an option to do exchange in there and even asks you when you are setting up the phone the first time.

I don't think the deleting is an issue. People delete when they don't want something. It should delete off the cloud at the same time. The user also has the option to delete the device copy if they so please which IMO is a rarity. Wanna purge everything off the phone but not the cloud? There's an option for that too.

I get what you are saying about video/audio but Google photos plays videos and people never do local videos on their phones. You may get someone that does mp3s but thats a rarity. More and more people just use the streaming services. People don't like to fiddle with moving hard copies of music to phones.

The things you feel are missing are things I feel power users may care about. I don't feel like those are issues with the general population.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I tried VR for the first time yesterday with the Samsung Gear VR headset and while I am not blown away, I am surely very impressed. I saw a pianist play in his apartment and a Circei de Soleil performance.

Does this thing have worthwhile content? I have seen there's a star map, street view VR and some video service with nature and one game in Into the Dead interests me with its use. Is there any other content, lime VR movies or stuff on the Internet?

Have you tried Cardboard? I just tried it for the first time today and it's crap. Is the Gear VR any different? Just curious. I already have a Vive I haven't bothered to set it up yet.

tzare

Because those phone companies aren't supporting it. Nexus devices only have Gmail and there's an option to do exchange in there and even asks you when you are setting up the phone the first time.

I don't think the deleting is an issue. People delete when they don't want something. It should delete off the cloud at the same time. The user also has the option to delete the device copy if they so please which IMO is a rarity. Wanna purge everything off the phone but not the cloud? There's an option for that too.

I get what you are saying about video/audio but Google photos plays videos and people never do local videos on their phones. You may get someone that does mp3s but thats a rarity. More and more people just use the streaming services. People don't like to fiddle with moving hard copies of music to phones.

The things you feel are missing are things I feel power users may care about. I don't feel like those are issues with the general population.
It is not my problem that Google allows oems to disable exchange for Gmail when there are other apps in the play store that can use exchange. It makes no sense.
As for photos, people may want to delete local photos to free up space but that option is buried somewhere. It should be easier instead of only allowing to delete all of them.
And you would be surprised how many people play local content, mp3 and videos at least in Europe, since roaming or unlimited data plans are not as common and are expensive. Not to mention the huge battery drain that is playing a streaming video using 4g

What would you guys say is the best Android phone for someone switching from iPhone? I'm looking for something that has a nice clean industrial design, as stock as possible, and just makes sense as a phone without all the fiddly bits. I don't care about a replaceable battery, expandable storage, stuff like that.

If you want a VR experience through your phone via Gear VR, then go with Samsung (S7 or S7 edge).

It is not my problem that Google allows oems to disable exchange for Gmail when there are other apps in the play store that can use exchange. It makes no sense.
As for photos, people may want to delete local photos to free up space but that option is buried somewhere. It should be easier instead of only allowing to delete all of them.
And you would be surprised how many people play local content, mp3 and videos at least in Europe, since roaming or unlimited data plans are not as common and are expensive. Not to mention the huge battery drain that is playing a streaming video using 4g

If the option is there to do exchange with gmail than the option is there. You don't need an extra app with vanilla Android.

With google photos deleting the app off local only is two clicks (menu > delete local only). Not buried imo. Delete from local and cloud is one click.

Ive lived in a few places in the US recently that were both large and small cities. You dont see people using local content anymore but I don't live in a city where subways are common which could make a difference.

I had an S7 delivered this week and I was wondering what are the best methods of securing the phone - just in case I lose it or it gets stolen etc?

As a side-note, coming from an S5 this thing actually feels slower lol.

Bboy AJ

I had an S7 delivered this week and I was wondering what are the best methods of securing the phone - just in case I lose it or it gets stolen etc?

Use the app Android Device Manager.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My blue life one x came in today and holy shit this thing is awesome (coming from an iPhone 4s).

1080p screen with a good amount of real estate, solid response time, great form factor and hand feel, everything I wanted for a killer price. The OS itself is really clean too, though I'm still learning it.

yyzjohn

Banned
For all you inbox from Gmail fans, is there a way to create filters from Inbox? In Gmail you can select a message and there's an option to create a filter on messages like that so they behave in a certain way (example auto forward similar messages to another email). I don't see any way to do this in Inbox?

tzare

Cerberus and Android lost,both in play store, and samsung's own security 'Find my mobile' , in security settings including reactivation lock.

Should be more than enough

reKon

Banned

Download Smash Hit and be amazed. Killer app right there

I'll take that as an apology for assuming I live in Europe. Thanks guy.

its not.

i didn't assume you lived anywhere.

i merely pointed out that if Samsungs are complicated and users are stupid and we know the market share in the US vs the market share in Europe, your comment about the percentage of users choosing iOS instead of Android in the US means that US users are more stupid.

I followed the instructions in the first post of this thread. Do it at your own risk.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3/general/sonys-android-concept-marshmallow-t3229030

Thank you. The instructions are generally a good pointer, but some of the steps weren't explained fully, so I was left frustrated and scratching my head a little bit.

I managed to figure it out in the end and it's all working fine. Just a little frustrated at how many OTA updates it has done and is still doing. I haven't been able to use the darn thing yet!

On the bright side it didn't delete all of my stuff, so thankfully I don't have to go through the hassle of restoring all the backups.

So let's finally see what all the fuss is about with stock Android. The next few months with this firmware could be the difference between me staying with Android for my next phone, or going back to iOS.

yogloo

Cerberus and Android lost,both in play store, and samsung's own security 'Find my mobile' , in security settings including reactivation lock.

Should be more than enough
Cerberus is the best I think. Especially if you flash it into your rom instead of installing it as an app.

Bboy AJ

It took until like September for Nexus rumors to pop up last year, right? That was a surprise. We usually had summer leaks. I wonder if this year will be the same.

its not.

i didn't assume you lived anywhere.

i merely pointed out that if Samsungs are complicated and users are stupid and we know the market share in the US vs the market share in Europe, your comment about the percentage of users choosing iOS instead of Android in the US means that US users are more stupid.

Gotcha. I don't necessarily disagree with that statement but even more so I feel Americans struggle heavily with making purchase decisions between many brands and typically ignore everything besides the biggest and/or second biggest player.

So much that sometimes we don't even know the difference between a product and a big brand name.

Chapstick/Lip Balm
Kleenex/Tissue
iPad/Tablet
Coke/Soda Pop

Asgaro

First post in AndroidGAF!
Some history:
- used a Samsung Wave running Bada OS until June 2015. That's right. Always thought mobile wasn't up to par yet with desktop.
- then had an epiphany when I had to get into Android and internet of things, smartwatches (Pebble) for my master's thesis.
- eventually the itch started to do an upgrade. So I bought a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Compact + high performance + nice battery life. Currently running the Concept ROM, which is amazing.
- have been reading up on the Android ecosystem the last few months. Still have tons of "stuff" to do (experimenting with apps, UI customization, learning to root, optimizing battery life, etc.): my bookmarks folder is huge.

Cerberus is da bomb.

Also has built-in functionality similar to Tasker. I experimented with it yesterday:
Seems to work well. Though I've had occassions that I receive a video but not a screen recording.
(Could be because it only records when you touch the screen. Haven't look that into it.)

Also, the 'Display message' task can use text-to-speech. Problem here is that the speech occurs at full volume. I haven't found a way within Cerberus or within the OS's text-to-speech options to tune this.

Also, the geofencing doesn't seem too work as expected. I've had occurences that I seemingly left the geofenced area while I clearly haven't. I tried to fix this by really expanding the area but doesn't seem to help.

uTnWNQk.png

Moreche

I dumped all of my Apple gear to jump over to Windows and android two weeks ago and purchased a nexus 6P and this phone is just blowing me away.
The screen, sound, the way I can have any third party app replace the installed such as using Textra as my main messaging app is just fantastic.
I actually find this phone smoother than my iPhone 6S, I have read and seen videos that counteract that but I'm just not seeing it when using this device.
The price to performance and feature rich of this phone is just unbelievable.

Bboy AJ

The 6P is such a good device that I haven't swapped sims in nearly 6 months
Other than working normal when heating up, I don't know what else I want from a phone. 6P is p much perfect.

If they release an HP Veer phone, I'll bite.

It took until like September for Nexus rumors to pop up last year, right? That was a surprise. We usually had summer leaks. I wonder if this year will be the same.

I just want to know if there is a new Nexus phone coming this year or if Google is going to do a tablet only. If no new phone this year, I will be kicking myself for not taking the 5X deal I found last week.

As soon as there is a leak that says "it's a phone" it's time to play the waiting game!

Jigolo

I'm sure the rumblings will start around July. I'm expecting an earlier launch for Nexus phones this year due to the unexpected early revealing of Android N. So Nexus launch in August/September; if not those then early October. Tablet wise I have no idea if Google is gonna do one this year.

Bboy AJ

I'm sure the rumblings will start around July. I'm expecting an earlier launch for Nexus phones this year due to the unexpected early revealing of Android N. So Nexus launch in August/September; if not those then early October. Tablet wise I have no idea if Google is gonna do one this year.
I don't know. We believed we'd hear phone news around summer last year but there were zero leaks until a month before. It was kind of awesome. I hope we have that again.

Also, I, too, want a new tablet. I am skipping the Pixel C because 10" isn't for me. I'd love a new Nexus 9. But one that wasn't hot garbage when rumors started. That's how crap that tablet is. It's trash.

I just want to know if there is a new Nexus phone coming this year or if Google is going to do a tablet only. If no new phone this year, I will be kicking myself for not taking the 5X deal I found last week.

As soon as there is a leak that says "it's a phone" it's time to play the waiting game!
There will be a phone this year. Google launched the Nexus 6 during the aborted Silver program. If they went to those lengths to ensure there was a phone, there will be a phone this year.

VanWinkle

My phone keeps downloading all of the images people post in Facebook Messenger and it's really annoying. I'm in a group chat with coworkers and every day there's like 10-20 pictures added to my phone's gallery.

Is there a way to stop this?

Groof

My phone keeps downloading all of the images people post in Facebook Messenger and it's really annoying. I'm in a group chat with coworkers and every day there's like 10-20 pictures added to my phone's gallery.

Is there a way to stop this?
app settings > photos & media

Toki767

The actual Twitter app finally went back to the old holo layout where you can swipe left and right to switch tabs. Shame the second tab is the whole Moments thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom