• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If the dollar wasn't shit wall-to-wall I might be willing at that price, and I don't want to use my US account for this.
?

The USD is pretty good these days. Much better than when I first moved to Europe in 2012.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Canadian dollar. I've lived in the US for a while too so I have an account there but my current income and residency is Canadian.
Ah yeah, CDN sucks :(

Who's going to buy the Zuk 2? Someone should.

reKon

Banned
You don't. Turn on easy mode or something. I've already looked at all of the installed packages on the S6, both SOT and Android's own services will use almost the entirety of the battery unless you're watching videos, playing games or anything else. Passive Samsung services have an almost non-existent impact.

"oh god, there's two USB ports on my PC, a blue and a black one OH GOD WHAT DO I DO"

OK, I lol'd at this

No I just know what I'm talking about when it comes to this subject and enjoy debating.

It's funny, because spouting the phrase "I know what I'm talking about, I work in xyz" neither actually shows your knowledge, nor does it make you a good debater. It's actually quite annoying to discuss anything with that attitude and far easier to just let that person be. The fact that you can't help but to repeat it over and over again to make your point is the worst. It also doesn't make other people's opinions invalid.

Perhaps you should work a little on your own user experience.

Groof

It's funny, because spouting the phrase "I know what I'm talking about, I work in xyz" neither actually shows your knowledge, nor does it make you a good debater. It's actually quite annoying to discuss anything with that attitude and far easier to just let that person be. The fact that you can't help but to repeat it over and over again to make your point is the worst. It also doesn't make other people's opinions invalid.

JNfN77x.gif

Samsungs are not complicated to me. They are complicated to the general (non geek U.S.) population and is why Apple is cleaning house in the US.

Ive worked in support and I work in user experience now. I would not hold a job if I thought like these two. Users are stupid. We are not typical users.

because Americans are dumber than the rest of the world!!!

tzare

While i agree that duplicate apps can be confusing sometimes, other times they add real functionality : email app provided by most oems is usually better suited for importing non gmail emails... Exchange support. Sms app too, at least before Google released messenger. Music apps are usually easier for people that store mp3 on their devices, while i love Google music, it is too complicated for my mom, always asking to subscribe and difficult to navigate.
Also Google has no native video app. That is usually provided by oems too.
Calendar is one that all oems include, not only Samsung, despite Google's one being great. Nobody beats Samsung 's full month calendar widget though.
A standard gallery is also provided by oems, with a similar scenario as with music. Standard customers do not understand Google photos. Too cloud oriented.
The one i really agree with osiris is s voice. Unnecessary and as i have it disabled i cannot wake my note with voice.
So it is not black or white. It is grey.

Where did I say my work has anything to do with my debating skills? I just said I enjoy debating. I don't disagree with the rest of your statement because lots of people get by doing a shitty job or are under qualified for what they do. Just like there are bad doctors out there that could give shitty medical advice. One thing that can't be debated is my work experience proves that I have worked with technology within the general population so I have experienced real feedback.

It was necessary for me to say because those two kept referencing the fact that I think what i did because of my mom's s6. I mean get fucking real. Like im going to base everything on the opinion of one 65 year old. Clearly my opinion goes from greater experience than that. I had to explain that if I wanted to justify what i was saying wasn't from that alone.

because Americans are dumber than the rest of the world!!!

It's an international forum. I can't speak for other countries other than the one I live in and experience first hand.

Exchange support is built into Gmail now. Google photos also does videos. Also, the rest of the apps that you mention sound mostly like opinions.

Honestly the fact that Google photos is so cloud oriented is a life saver. People never know how to properly backup photos but with Google photos they will. An additional gallery app just means they will never get them backed up.

Google's PDF viewer is garbage and confusing. There's an app, but not really. You can download it, but you can't actually open the app. You can go through Drive to open PDFs, but not really since you have to have the PDF on your Drive. Talk about confusing.

Not all Google's stuff is good. Actually I would say most of Google's apps are useless or confusing. Who actually here uses Sheets?

Well at least it's clear you don't work with Android technologies. Battery historian charts for system component and process activity =

No that doesn't make it clear. You never detailed that in your op and you also seem to not realize that apps hide their usage inside of Google play services.

Now my avatar in the other hand is a dead giveaway of where I do some of my work.

diaspora

No that doesn't make it clear. You never detailed that in your op and you also seem to not realize that apps hide their usage inside of Google play services.

Now my avatar in the other hand is a dead giveaway of where I do some of my work.

Well it doesn't make it better. Unless you can show your work on Samsung applications and services causing noteworthy additional drain? I mean the meatiest of them IIRC are the packages that manage multi-window/ floating view support which is a given since they can only operate being always online though they're still largely inconsequential for the impact on battery drain/activity.

Well it doesn't make it better. Unless you can show your work on Samsung applications and services causing noteworthy additional drain? I mean the meatiest of them IIRC are the packages that manage multi-window/ floating view support which is a given since they can only operate being always online though they're still largely inconsequential for the impact on battery drain/activity.

Dude, Samsung apps are not even the whole situation. Samsung sells Android users to the highest bidders or as ways to pay to use patents.

Samsung is happy to put shit on their phones from Microsoft and Amazon before the phone even gets to the carrier bloat. Do we know how much memory or battery those apps use too? No of course not and that the problem.

diaspora

Dude, Samsung apps are not even the whole situation. Samsung sells Android users to the highest bidders or as ways to pay to use patents.

Samsung is happy to put shit on their phones from Microsoft and Amazon before the phone even gets to the carrier bloat. Do we know how much memory or battery those apps use too? No of course not and that the problem.

So, you're happy to admit it's FUD?

edit: Look, based on viewing logs of battery historian stats of different android devices from the N5, M8, S6, Moto X 2014, there really aren't appreciable differences in basic activity outside the main heavyweights. Yes, the activities to manage multi-window support are there but there honestly isn't an appreciable impact unless you can really show me otherwise.

So, you're happy to admit it's FUD?

Nope, because we know those apps are using storage and battery. Some known, some not easily measurable.

It's there with Samsung and it's not there with Nexus and the HTC 10. I'd rather that shit not be there regardless of how much space or battery uses. Also that doesn't say anything for the confusion those duplicate apps and services bring. We're going in circles. I'm over until I get an opportunity to pitch someone a non Samsung unless camera is their number 1 priority.

diaspora

Nope, because we know those apps are using storage and battery. Some known, some not easily measurable.

It's there with Samsung and it's not there with Nexus and the HTC 10. I'd rather that shit not be there regardless of how much space or battery uses. Also that doesn't say anything for the confusion those duplicate apps and services bring. We're going in circles. I'm over until I get an opportunity to pitch someone a non Samsung unless camera is their number 1 priority.

You have no idea but you just know. Of course.

I find software with no appreciable impact on the battery or general computing to be irrelevant. Unless you want to demonstrate an appreciable impact on either or both you're yelling at clouds.

https://www.androidpit.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-review

"In addition to the seven Samsung apps, there are five from Microsoft, as well as Facebook, WhatsApp and a selection of Google Apps. Your carrier will no doubt pre-install its own software to make network-specific adjustments for Voice over LTE support or Mobile Payments."

You're right... No one knows if the Facebook app uses a lot of battery, memory and storage. Just yelling at the clouds here.

diaspora

https://www.androidpit.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-review

"In addition to the seven Samsung apps, there are five from Microsoft, as well as Facebook, WhatsApp and a selection of Google Apps. Your carrier will no doubt pre-install its own software to make network-specific adjustments for Voice over LTE support or Mobile Payments."

You're right... No one knows if the Facebook app uses a lot of battery, memory and storage. Just yelling at the clouds here.
Yeah. I mean you're bullshitting your way into trying to prove there's an impact on the battery, Facebook of which is measurable. Others like Samsung's services which are not.

I mean you yourself said nobody knows, not me.

To say that Facebook's memory and battery footprint is indicative of the footprint of other packages is a little insane. Is the performance of Killer Instinct indicative of the performance of solitaire?

Yeah. I mean you're bullshitting your way into trying to prove there's an impact on the battery, Facebook of which is measurable. Others like Samsung's services which are not.

I mean you yourself said nobody knows, not me.

It doesn't matter. Samsung are the ones putting Facebook on your phones.

Maybe if your lucky... One of your next updates could be a MySpace app! Or Tinder!

Maybe you guys could find eachother on tinder, without even having to download it. All thanks to Samsung.

diaspora

To say that Facebook's memory and battery footprint is indicative of the footprint of other packages is a little insane. Is the performance of Killer Instinct indicative of the performance of solitaire?

It doesn't matter. Samsung are the ones putting Facebook on your phones.

Maybe if your lucky... One of your next updates could be a MySpace app! Or Tinder!
None of which matter unless you actually use the service by instantiating it with an account in the first place.

Btw I'm about to drop an Android TV and a Tizen app. I will be sure to hit you up because it sounds like you will have no problem installing it without even caring what it does.

diaspora

Like really, what networking and data activities do you think are happening without the applications being instantiated with a facebook account in the first place? What services and activities are actually being instanced to drawn cpu cycles/bandwidth/battery life? Do you even know? I suspect you don't, and know even less of Samsung's other services. Honestly if all of the information that's going to be pointed at come from blogs complaining about facebook's app design then you're not working with anything.

edit: Like Facebook can't drain your battery without having used it first, and most of its other activities afaik are inoperable without an account. Though in the first place to reach from Facebook to applications on the device in general is just insane.

Like really, what networking and data activities do you think are happening without the applications being instantiated with a facebook account in the first place? What services and activities are actually being instanced to drawn cpu cycles/bandwidth/battery life? Do you even know? I suspect you don't, and know even less of Samsung's other services. Honestly if all of the information that's going to be pointed at come from blogs complaining about facebook's app design then you're not working with anything.

Why would I waste my time with this shit? I don't have a Samsung so I don't need to!

Edit: Btw, I don't use Facebook because I don't hate my phone but I do use Instagram. Guess what the Instagram app constantly does when you are not logged in? Sends you notifications to log in/register.

Why can't I find podcasts in Google play music? Do I have to be a subscriber or is the service still being rolled out?

I NEED MY LASER TIME PODCAST!

that's exactly what you did when you mentioned market share in the US then intelligence.

we know what the market share is in the EU for example...

What are you smoking? I live in the US. I don't know shit about EU marketshare and that's why is specifically added US to my post.

How many of you guys are going to gang up on me? I think I've fended off 5 or 6 of you just today for hating on bloatware.

New Android thread title... Android [OT] We promote 3rd party bloatware

What are you smoking? I live in the US. I don't know shit about EU marketshare and that's why is specifically added US to my post.

How many of you guys are going to gang up on me? I think I've fended off 5 or 6 of you just today for hating on bloatware.

|OT| Stockware

No Love

Banned

Gangbang at osiris3355's house 😏

tzare

Exchange support is built into Gmail now. Google photos also does videos. Also, the rest of the apps that you mention sound mostly like opinions.

Honestly the fact that Google photos is so cloud oriented is a life saver. People never know how to properly backup photos but with Google photos they will. An additional gallery app just means they will never get them backed up.

then why can't i activate exchange accounts on my gmail? i can't on my note, i can't on my huawei g7, i can't on my xperia m4.

Google photos is complicated, your typical mom will delete photos both on device and the cloud. That does not happen with a classic gallery.
And i am a huge google photos fanboy. I recommend it to everyone. But it isn't user friendly at all.
And video support? c'mon , i just want to play a movie, i need a decent app. MX player, but samsung video app will make it easier, for example for regular smartphone owners. Try to do that on a nexus device. It comes with no video app, besides google play movies, which as play music and most gapps, are cloud oriented..

No Love

Banned
then why can't i activate exchange accounts on my gmail? i can't on my note, i can't on my huawei g7, i can't on my xperia m4.

Google photos is complicated, your typical mom will delete photos both on device and the cloud. That does not happen with a classic gallery.
And i am a huge google photos fanboy. I recommend it to everyone. But it isn't user friendly at all.
And video support? c'mon , i just want to play a movie, i need a decent app. MX player, but samsung video app will make it easier, for example for regular smartphone owners. Try to do that on a nexus device. It comes with no video app, besides google play movies, which as play music and most gapps, are cloud oriented..

Gotta agree, Google Photos for the average person is a goddamn labyrinth. I can't imagine trying to walk a regular person though the bullshit of that app's layout.

VoxPop

Lol what's going on in here. Don't worry boys, I'll be the one to make the latest and greatest Android skin/OS without the trash and all the polish of iOS. Like MIUI without the tackiness and it's going to become the most widely used platform in the world. You heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom