• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does. You clearly know nothing about the needs of the general (non geek) population or good user experience. S-Voice for example is not an addition feature. It's a duplicate feature and it's a disaster for the end user.
I'd never buy ANY relative of mine a device and just expect them to have 0 issues with it. Even an Apple device I'd need to set up wifi, turn on Find My iPhone, teach them how backups works, where to go to download apps, what the swiping gestures do, etc.

Any android phone I'd buy for a non-technical friend or relative I'd disable every redundant app, set up their desktop the way they want it, and if they're REALLY tech illiterate, I'd just put the phone in Easy Mode or something.

diaspora

IIRC one of the included launchers is Easy Mode.

edit: the phone asks you during initial setup if you want to use easy mode too I think

Completely Anecdotal. I used the M9 last year and it was my daily driver for a good chunk of time so yeah don't tell me what I do or don't know. They are both easy for me to use. Can I say one is easier than the other? Probably not.

And you realize HTC has a ton of duplicate apps? This year it sounds like they're dumping some of them, but you can't tell me they are not convoluted pre HTC 10.

When did I mention a prior HTC? I said the HTC 10 which negates everything you are saying.

Arstechnica s6 review, they similar in the s7 review.

"Our biggest complaint is the always-on voice recognition. Live with a phone that has it, and you'll want it on every device. Samsung has it, but it's tied to the uselessly slow S-Voice. While you can have "Ok Google" work while the screen is on, Samsung made it so only S-Voice can wake the device. What a bummer."

When did I mention a prior HTC? I said the HTC 10 which negates everything you are saying.

And I said I had no experience with the 10 and only citing my experience with both past HTC and Samsung devices which to me were about equal. No one here has used an HTC 10 yet and everything is based on conjecture. Please stop.

And I said I had no experience with the 10 and only citing my experience with both past HTC and Samsung devices which to me were about equal. No one here has used an HTC 10 yet and everything is based on conjecture. Please stop.

Your telling me to stop when your spewing terrible suggestions based on his requirements and basing opinions off last year's phone which I'm not even recommending.

The HTC 10 reviews are out. Read.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/htc-10-review-htc-builds-the-best-android-flagship-of-2016/

Your telling me to stop when your spewing terrible suggestions based on his requirements and basing opinions off last year's phone which I'm not even recommending.

The HTC 10 reviews are out. Read.

So you're basing 100% of your recommendation on a phone that isn't even out yet and you haven't used yet solely on reviews? K.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Having additional features and redundant apps doesn't qualify as complications, no. How's the split screen functionality on stock at the moment?
Strange post. You deny legit complications then point toward a complicated feature as a pro.

Fact. HTC removed the bloat. Samsung has tons of it.
Fact. HTC sells a non carrier unlocked model. Samsung does not.

What don't you get?

If your whole argument is that people will think Samsung is way too complicated because of duplicate apps, you really aren't giving our Neogaf member here much credit yea?

Hey if he can drop 700 bones real quick on the unlocked version without an issue more power to him, but I bet that isn't something he's willing to do.

diaspora

Shorter battery life as well. That makes a difference.

It's inconsequential to battery life. The screen and android os, and android's services will take up almost the entirety of use.

xXzC1oo.jpg

It's inconsequential to battery life.

How do you know? No one knows what fucking apps they are getting with a Samsung Lol.

There are plenty of reasons why duplicate apps are terrible for the end user. The biggest one is its confusing as fuck.

Which app do I pay with, which app for my calendar, where do I get new apps, which app do I talk to, where do i web browse, which app do I send emails, where do backups go? I could go on and on...

diaspora

How do you know? No one knows what fucking apps they are getting with a Samsung Lol.

You don't. Turn on easy mode or something. I've already looked at all of the installed packages on the S6, both SOT and Android's own services will use almost the entirety of the battery unless you're watching videos, playing games or anything else. Passive Samsung services have an almost non-existent impact.

Which app do I pay with, which app for my calendar, where do I get new apps, which app do I talk to, where do i web browse, which app do I send emails, where do backups go?
"oh god, there's two USB ports on my PC, a blue and a black one OH GOD WHAT DO I DO"

You don't. Turn on easy mode or something. I've already looked at all of the installed packages on the S6, both SOT and Android's own services will use almost the entirety of the battery unless you're watching videos, playing games or anything else. Passive Samsung services have an almost non-existent impact.

The only reason you need easy mode is because it's a fucking Samsung.

Uh, why would I as a person able to go through the installed packages and make applications of my own need an easy mode for a phone I've openly stated have no trouble with? Did you think this through?

You clearly know nothing about supporting users or working in user experience. Theres no point in debating with you. Your opinion is lost.

I'll let someone else chew you up if they want.

Chorazin

You clearly know nothing about supporting users or working in user experience. Theres no point in debating with you. Your opinion is lost.

Holy shit. Did a Samsung phone set to Easy Mode kill your dog or something? If a Samsung Phone is complicated to someone then they're in for a bad time with any smartphone.

diaspora

I'll let someone else chew you up if they want.

Since you're unable to make a sufficient argument as to why Samsung inherently having an overcomplicated UX despite including upon starting the device an easy mode specifically to avoid any Android complications- something Google needs to do, I don't know if someone else would be able to.

diaspora

Holy shit. Did a Samsung phone set to Easy Mode kill your dog or something? If a Samsung Phone is complicated to someone then they're in for a bad time with any smartphone.

You could even say that he's an expert, and I'd wager honour and shame are huge parts of it.

this_guy

Yes it does. You clearly know nothing about the needs of the general (non geek) population or good user experience. S-Voice for example is not an additional feature. It's a duplicate feature and it's a disaster for the end user experience.

On a Samsung when the screen is off you talk to s-voice. When the screen is on you talk to Google. Lol

How are you people even debating this?

The Galaxy series is not any more complicated to use than any other Android phone. It's only complicated to you and your mom.

The Galaxy series is not any more complicated to use than any other Android phone. It's only complicated to you and your mom.

Samsungs are not complicated to me. They are complicated to the general (non geek U.S.) population and is why Apple is cleaning house in the US.

Ive worked in support and I work in user experience now. I would not hold a job if I thought like these two. Users are stupid. We are not typical users.

diaspora

Now your getting it even though your being sarcastic.

People don't like to make decisions. They like them made for them unless they are extra interested in the device (like you and I)

ah christ

Incidentally, people prefer choice. Samsung dominates Android for this reason and Android dominates iOS despite Apple's goddamn magnificent branding and brand continuity/consistency.

ah christ

Incidentally, people prefer choice. Samsung dominates Android for this reason and Android dominates iOS despite Apple's goddamn magnificent branding and brand continuity/consistency.

Samsung is cleaning up on the Android side. Hmmmm, what does that tell you?

LOL. You guys are proving my point. People dont associate Android with other phones because they are incapable of making those kind of decisions. They think Samsung only. They choose what they see on TV and what their friends have. Not because touchwiz features.

Other Android phones are not even looked at.

diaspora

LOL. You guys are proving my point. People dont associate Android with other phones because they are incapable of making those kind of decisions. They choose what they see on TV and what their friends have. Not because touchwiz features.

So, Apple's US dominance isn't because of "simplicity" then.

this_guy

LOL. You guys are proving my point. People dont associate Android with other phones because they are incapable of making those kind of decisions. They choose what they see on TV and what their friends have. Not because touchwiz features.

So is the iPhone selling because it's not complicated or it's what they see on tv?

diaspora

Their simplicity is how they retain their user base instead of losing them in droves like Android (Samsung users typically).
You're arguing with yourself at this point. Choosing a device because of TV ads or what someone's friends use doesn't happen in a vacuum, they're switching from another device. People choose what they see on TV you say, so if they go from iOS to Android or back, it'll be for those reasons.

clav

Biggest elephant in the room is updates.

Seeing my S3 run Marshmallow made me never want to buy another Samsung product again.

After some research, I have to make sure a device is developer unlock friendly (easy for Nexus) if I want to see that kind of postupdate support.

You're arguing with yourself at this point. Choosing a device because of TV ads or what someone's friends use doesn't happen in a vacuum, they're switching from another device.

Its all relative. I'm providing explanations for pretty much everything you're throwing at me.

Seriously man, if you think duplicate apps and features are a good thing for non technical users than our opinions are too different to even debate this.

diaspora

Biggest elephant in the room is updates.

Seeing my S3 run Marshmallow made me never want to buy another Samsung product again.

Oh absolutely. It took like what, 6 months for the S6 to get 6.0.1? Granted it skipped over initial rollout issues but damn.

Its all relative. I'm providing explanations for pretty much everything you're throwing at me.

Seriously man, if you think duplicate apps and features are a good thing for non technical users than our opinions are too different to even debate this.

They're irrelevant. Having a duplicate music app cannot be overcomplicated for the user without Android inherently being overcomplicated for the user wherein the utility of Easy Mode comes into play.

clav

They're irrelevant. Having a duplicate music app cannot be overcomplicated for the user without Android inherently being overcomplicated for the user wherein the utility of Easy Mode comes into play.
In Windows Phone at one point, there were like 3 camera Lumia apps for the user to choose, and I thought that was complicated.

Android also had that identity issue with Photos and Gallery apps on a brand new Nexus installation.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This phone is insane

Lenovo's Zuk Z2 Pro Packs A Snapdragon 820, 6GB Of RAM, A USB Type-C Port, And More For The… https://t.co/jmaeZBAVyt

SoC: Snapdragon 820
RAM / Storage: 64GB, 4GB RAM or 128GB, 6GB RAM
Display: 5.2-inch Super AMOLED 1080p
Camera:13 MP, f/1.8
Battery: 3100mAh non-removable
Dimensions:145.4 x 70.5 x 7.5 mm, 145g
LTE: Band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 38, 39, 41
Ports: USB 3.1 Type-C, Quick Charge 3.0

So it's a robust phone, and the storage is apparently that super-speed UFS 2.0 Samsung has been using

$420.

1461228165126005416.png

Bboy AJ

Has Lenovo's adware nonsense from their laptops last year bled into their phone line? Because those specs are nuts.
That's literally every performance spec you'd ever want. The only "downsides" to the phone are screen, battery. Maybe camera? No waterproofing, either. But it's still pretty damn incredibly spec wise.

Still wouldn't buy it. Don't trust Lenovo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom