• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
Sony's asking £549.99 for the Xperia X. Remember, this isn't the Xperia Performance

that's more than a G5 or S7

What is wrong with Sony mobile???

I thought their current mobile division head was greatly hyped by one neogaf member here, forgot his name, but he would make lengthy posts about Sony news from Japan.

Xperia X series just feel so under cooked and direction-less. :/

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ima just leave dis here...

nexus2cee_D8FjaPX-768x510.png

mackattk

I currently have a Note 3 that is acting up some. I am kind of in the mood for an upgrade, I just don't know if I should get the 6P now, or wait ~5 months and see what the next Nexus device will be. It is just a tough call because I have no idea what the next Nexus will have. I currently have a wireless charging case for my Note which is super convenient, and that is one of the only things that is holding me back from the 6P.. I just have no idea (and nobody really does) if this years Nexus devices will support wireless charging or not. I guess my question for the Nexus 6P owners is if there is anything that your phone lacks that you wish you would have in a 2016 version? Is the SD810 processor much slower than the 820?

Looks like newegg has a deal where you get a 64GB aluminum 6P, $50 newegg gift card, and 11,000 mah powerbank for $499.. Really tempting.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google finally added in exchange support for all in the Gmail app.

Great for those that care.

I don't like mixing personal and work shit though.

Hasney

Google finally added in exchange support for all in the Gmail app.

Great for those that care.

I don't like mixing personal and work shit though.

I went to put my work email on my phone once. Then it said that they have the power to remotely wipe my phone by their policy.

I kinda said fuck that.

Ixian

I went to put my work email on my phone once. Then it said that they have the power to remotely wipe my phone by their policy.

I kinda said fuck that.
Yep. I remember reading a story on the Nexus 6P subreddit where someone's fingerprint sensor was rubbing against their leg in their pant pockets and false-activated enough to trigger the security wipe, lol.

If you really want work Exchange on your phone, check out Nines since it can sandbox that stuff so your whole phone doesn't get wiped.

Asgaro

I don't understand why the Pebble app should always be active... Even when BT is disabled.

Also noticed this app does location requests (approximate ones) even though BT is disabled and no location-aware watch face nor weather app is being used. Luckily, I got this fixed with M's permission control.

I currently have a Note 3 that is acting up some. I am kind of in the mood for an upgrade, I just don't know if I should get the 6P now, or wait ~5 months and see what the next Nexus device will be. It is just a tough call because I have no idea what the next Nexus will have. I currently have a wireless charging case for my Note which is super convenient, and that is one of the only things that is holding me back from the 6P.. I just have no idea (and nobody really does) if this years Nexus devices will support wireless charging or not. I guess my question for the Nexus 6P owners is if there is anything that your phone lacks that you wish you would have in a 2016 version? Is the SD810 processor much slower than the 820?

Looks like newegg has a deal where you get a 64GB aluminum 6P, $50 newegg gift card, and 11,000 mah powerbank for $499.. Really tempting.

it's almost May.

wait.

If you aren't somebody who buys a phone often I would seriously wait. The performance gains the SD820 will give over the SD810 are more than enough reason to wait and that's aside from the likely other improvements like a better camera, more RAM, and possibly some form of 3D Touch.

If you aren't somebody who buys a phone often I would seriously wait. The performance gains the SD820 will give over the SD810 are more than enough reason to wait and that's aside from the likely other improvements like a better camera, more RAM, and possibly some form of 3D Touch.

This. Even though we may not hear anything in May it's still worth waiting at this point. I would avoid the 808/810 unless the phone is dirt cheap which the 6p is not.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

As always, if you can wait, wait. If not, go for it.

tzare

If the option is there to do exchange with gmail than the option is there. You don't need an extra app with vanilla Android.

With google photos deleting the app off local only is two clicks (menu > delete local only). Not buried imo. Delete from local and cloud is one click.

Ive lived in a few places in the US recently that were both large and small cities. You dont see people using local content anymore but I don't live in a city where subways are common which could make a difference.

Gmail just got an update and surprise!, it just added exchange support for all devices. So it was a Google thing, afterall.
So there's a reason sometimes OEM add their own apps and settings.
I am not justifiying bloat, and yes, sometimes it can be confusing, but Vanilla Android is also lacking and behind functionality some skins deliver.

And photos should make it easier, like adding tab for offline pictures for example.

I live in Spain, and while 3G is available almost everywhere, 4g not so much, and good luck streaming in small villages. Not to mention that Europe has very expensive roaming data fees so if you travel it is not practical to rely on data for streaming music or videos.
And the battery drain obviously, that means constant streaming.

BTW, what is the status of SD 652/650?
It was the saviour of the midrange, almost as powerful as 810 without its issues and it is nowhere to be seen in real devices yet.

kami_sama

I live in Spain, and while 3G is available almost everywhere, 4g not so much, and good luck streaming in small villages. Not to mention that Europe has very expensive roaming data fees so if you travel it is not practical to rely on data for streaming music or videos.
And the battery drain obviously, that means constant streaming.

Regarding the roaming, Vodafone has free (as in not costing more than in Spain) roaming on Europe, the USA and some other countries. And it will become free by law in the EU in the next years.

tzare

Regarding the roaming, Vodafone has free (as in not costing more than in Spain) roaming on Europe, the USA and some other countries. And it will become free by law in the EU in the next years.

i have vodafone and free roaming, but that is now, not 6 months ago and not all the plans have it, just the most expensive ones. And other carriers still charge for it. If the future has no roaming, that will be great, but the problem right now exists for most people so when abroad, on vacation, for business, data is expensive as fuck for most, so local content, videos, music, is still the best option.
And as i said before, it also saves battery life wich, to be honest, is still an issue these days for most smartphones.

lunchtoast

Decided to check out xda since I haven't checked on the community since I got a 5x. Gonna root and install a ROM tomorrow as they figured out a way to have root and still use android pay. Xposed is still a nogo.

obin_gam

my z3c just got updated with Marshmallow. Have they removed the Stamina mode completely?
Also - when looking at the Energy-setting, it says I have 75% left of power... and 3 hours. What the hell does those 3 hours mean?
75% should be like a days worth of power.

yyzjohn

Banned
my z3c just got updated with Marshmallow. Have they removed the Stamina mode completely?
Also - when looking at the Energy-setting, it says I have 75% left of power... and 3 hours. What the hell does those 3 hours mean?

Where are you located? I have the Z3 and still waiting for Marshmallow.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member

Yeah, MM saw the removal of stamina mode (although it's coming back "soon") and I've seen some significant battery performance drop off on my Z5C as a result. I've gone from a two day battery to a battery that barely lasts a day. Doze just doesn't seem that great?

Groof

Doze is very hit and miss. Some people report great gains, others like me don't see shit.

Basically android as usual

AndyD

aka andydumi
Doze is very hit and miss. Some people report great gains, others like me don't see shit.

Basically android as usual

I think people who were using Greenify and other battery savers before see little if any change. Also people who constantly use their phone or have tons of priority notifications come through also see virtually no changes.

To me the biggest change is that it actually consumes nearly nothing overnight. Used to leave the phone with 25 percent battery and it would be dead. Now I can be around 10 and its still alive in the morning.

Furyous

If the Xperia X costs 549 euros then how much will the X Performance cost? They need to throw in more bells and whistles because the X Performance looks like a hard to sell device over the Z5. Speaking of the Z series, Sony has to clarify their plans for the mobile division moving forward. They said the Z series is not discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom