• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

yeah, after half a decade of obvious and transpoarently ridiculous BS, them ranking two phones highly is some sort of proof againt years of evidence to the contrary... uh-huh... *nods*

They post 2 Apple hate articles for every 500 praise articles. That's the only way they can feel like they are a platform independent and unbiased site which we all know is bullshit.

Besides If the Android fans dont even remember the galaxy scores there is no way the general population will. People will see the iPhone review and will still think it has the highest rating.

I'm still annoyed the verge never reviewed the Nvidia Shield TV. Typical bullshit BC it would have made the Apple TV look bad that came out later. Nilay's excuse was it's a video game console and not a streaming device... Mossberg acted like everything the Apple TV did was groundbreaking and it's shortcomings didn't matter BC every other streaming device had them as well. Every single one of those complaints about thr launch Apple TV 4 was a non issue on Android TV.

CronoShot

How's the signal strength on the Axon7s? Seems like a lot of complaints.

I'm using T-Mobile and it was terrible enough to get me to return it.

On average, about 10-15 dBm worse than my 6P. Several times it completely lost signal and I had to completely reboot it. Not even toggling airplane mode would get your signal back.

wilflare

just looked at the Battery History details for my 6P
it seems that it is not sleeping well - the phone is "awake" often despite the screen being off most of the time.

I don't have Facebook installed :/
the Battery page doesn't seem to show any errant 3rd party app either :/

I've been a LG guy the past 3 years and I'd like to continue that with the V20. But man it's not helping when they announce the phone and don't have a date and price available right away like Apple did. My other fear is that they'll price this thing at something like $800 because they think it belongs in the same class as the S/Note and Iphone. I really like the V20 from what I've seen. But it's hard to choose it over one of these Chinese flagships that's much cheaper and just as powerful like the Axon 7.

Jzero

On average, about 10-15 dBm worse than my 6P. Several times it completely lost signal and I had to completely reboot it. Not even toggling airplane mode would get your signal back.
Fuck that's not good to hear

Con_Smith

Banned
Anyone here got the Honor 8. Looking for a decent phone to buy outright and other than the US I'm not seeing many negatives. Planning on getting it onto T-mobile if anyone has it hooked to that carrier.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone here got the Honor 8. Looking for a decent phone to buy outright and other than the US I'm not seeing many negatives. Planning on getting it onto T-mobile if anyone has it hooked to that carrier.

Only real negative for the Honor 8 is the GPU.

CPU is fast and overall phone usage us snappy. GPU performance analog is more along the lines of the Snapdragon 801 phones vs the 820 though.

YMMV on if that matters to you.

RuGalz

I'm on AT&T, hasn't been an issue in my day to day, but I live in well coverage.

I use att and I'm getting more consistent speeds than when I was on Verizon.

Thanks. I definitely see more complaints form Tmo customers. CronoShot, was wifi signal usually worse too?

The biggest negative I've seen is the signal isn't great on that phone either.

headphone jack on the bottom is still hot garbage fam.

especially when you want to put the phone on your Official Samsung Fast Charge Wireless Charging Stand with Adaptive Fast Charging while also using wired headphones.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

Saiyan-Rox

Who the hell wants to root these days just to find a battery issue?

or in general

only thing about rooting i used was for adblocking as the intrusive ads on the internet is getting worse and worse but apart from that rooting seems pointless to me.

I know people like Xposed though.

Also this is a bit concerning http://m.androidcentral.com/oneplus-turnover-led-merging-os-development

The rest of the OOS team leaving at the end of the year means that the chinese Hydrogen team will be left at their own devices for the software...as long as they know to keep it as stock are possible then it should be fine as hydrogenOS tbh is a lot more stable than OxygenOS but even so this shows you the state of things in the software department of OP.

Vic

Who the hell wants to root these days just to find a battery issue?
Sorry yall, I'm out of the loop when it comes to that stuff. It shows I guess :(

tbh wilflare, I was already getting around 4h of SOT from my 6P out of the box.

Jeffrey

That's even worse - that means the shitty exploding batteries could have infected all of their phones and not just the Note 7.
eh, batteries explode all the time no matter the company. It's what happens when you keep building smaller and smaller phones with highly flammable stuff in tight spaces.

you hear about something happening every once in a while in the news. naturally the note 7 is exploding a bit more than it probably should.

RuGalz

The rest of the OOS team leaving at the end of the year means that the chinese Hydrogen team will be left at their own devices for the software...as long as they know to keep it as stock are possible then it should be fine as hydrogenOS tbh is a lot more stable than OxygenOS but even so this shows you the state of things in the software department of OP.

On top of that Cyanogen Inc is no longer directly involved on CM14 developments... The scene is looking a bit bleak.

wilflare

Sorry yall, I'm out of the loop when it comes to that stuff. It shows I guess :(

tbh wilflare, I was already getting around 4h of SOT from my 6P out of the box.

I'll probably give Wakelock Detector a try since I'm already rooted.

I root to use Titanium Backup (for freezing apps) and Nova Launcher (for the screen lock, hide clock and notification bar slow animation fix)

getting 4h out of the box is impressive - is that before and after you upgraded to Nougat?

Vic

I'll probably give Wakelock Detector a try since I'm already rooted.

I root to use Titanium Backup (for freezing apps) and Nova Launcher (for the screen lock, hide clock and notification bar slow animation fix)

getting 4h out of the box is impressive - is that before and after you upgraded to Nougat?
I got the phone last Thursday and went straight to Nougat so I didn't really evaluated the battery life under Marshmellow. And apparenly, 4h of SOT for this phone is quite average and common, judging with the impressions I've read on reddit and XDA.

Jeffrey

I've noticed:

-If you walk or use public transit to work the bottom jack is better.
-If you drive the top is better especially if you use an aux jack.

I guess it depends on how you connect to aux. If you use some car dock, bottom is 'less messy' if you also plug in to charge.

wilflare

I got the phone last Thursday and went straight to Nougat so I didn't really evaluated the battery life under Marshmellow. And apparenly, 4h of SOT for this phone is quite average and common, judging with the impressions I've read on reddit and XDA.

thank you so much! will give those a try.
now i'm just trying to get Chrome for Android to sync my bookmarks properly. ugh

Con_Smith

Banned
Only real negative for the Honor 8 is the GPU.

CPU is fast and overall phone usage us snappy. GPU performance analog is more along the lines of the Snapdragon 801 phones vs the 820 though.

YMMV on if that matters to you.

Had to lose my G6 and currently rocking on of the old budget galaxy phones which is killing me 400 for the specs look cool. I'm not a heavy gamer on phones anymore so gpu isn't a big deal. XDA will get me right once more developers mess with device anyway. Hoping the room scene opens up so I can get some stock love...maybe.

Thanks. I definitely see more complaints form Tmo customers. CronoShot, was wifi signal usually worse too?

The biggest negative I've seen is the signal isn't great on that phone either.

Saw more complaints from att users but thanks for the heads up. Honestl I just want a decent phone with IR and NFC. Honor 8 seems the most decent. Really hate I missed the Newegg deal though.

Thanks for the words guys. If anyone has any suggestions s for a phone in the same range please let me know. Hoping to get rid of the pos crap phone and Metro asap.

Jeffrey

Had to lose my G6 and currently rocking on of the old budget galaxy phones which is killing me 400 for the specs look cool. I'm not a heavy gamer on phones anymore so gpu isn't a big deal. XDA will get me right once more developers mess with device anyway. Hoping the room scene opens up so I can get some stock love...maybe.

Saw more complaints from att users but thanks for the heads up. Honestl I just want a decent phone with IR and NFC. Honor 8 seems the most decent. Really hate I missed the Newegg deal though.

Thanks for the words guys. If anyone has any suggestions s for a phone in the same range please let me know. Hoping to get rid of the pos crap phone and Metro asap.

Best buy has it in stock and they have 15 day return policy. Best to just get one and test it around the crib.

teiresias

I got a performance award bonus at work and it's taking all of my willpower to wait for the Google announcement and not just place an order for a OP3 right now.

kinggroin

Banned
What do you think in comparison to your previous Nexus phone? Does it seem like a step down?

Camera quality yes (biggest drop, especially low light), camera speed is faster though.

Build quality yes (next biggest drop). Screen quality yes (third biggest drop).

Speaker quality is a minor drop (loud front facing, but only one)

Fingerprint sensor is faster, and the phone keeps more stuff open in memory than my 6p did (this is HUGE for me). Battery is better too (also huge). The OS itself is snappy enough, seems like a wash there. I don't play games, so can't compare it in that way. There's also twice the storage capacity than my previous phone.

I like the moto gestures. Actually useful.

For the money, I have zero complaints. GG Motorola.

SteveWD40

Question: since the Shield K1 is now discontinued, what would be a good Andriod tablet for emulation? I am looking for something under £200 that can run upto and including N64.

The GPD XD is tempting but I would rather a proper tablet as I can sell my iPad and I alredy have a Bluetooth controller from 8bitdo.

I have been an iPad guy for years so no idea what brands are good in the Android space.

Question: since the Shield K1 is now discontinued, what would be a good Andriod tablet for emulation? I am looking for something under £200 that can run upto and including N64.

The GPD XD is tempting but I would rather a proper tablet as I can sell my iPad and I alredy have a Bluetooth controller from 8bitdo.

I have been an iPad guy for years so no idea what brands are good in the Android space.

Not much besides the Pixel C buy it's expensive.

Rumor is there is a new 7 in Pixel coming soon too.

Top Bottom