• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Yeah, looks like only LG and Samsung have committed to pushing the monthly security updates. Given the number of zero-day and other exploits popping up in Android recently that's sort of ruling out even OP3 and pushing me to 6P regardless of potential battery-life failings - unless I want to shell out for an S7 or something.

I just got the OP3 September update like 3 days ago. They've been on top of updates since it has been released.

this_guy

Yeah, looks like only LG and Samsung have committed to pushing the monthly security updates. Given the number of zero-day and other exploits popping up in Android recently that's sort of ruling out even OP3 and pushing me to 6P regardless of potential battery-life failings - unless I want to shell out for an S7 or something.

ZTE has also been doing monthly security updates for last year's Axon Pro and this year's Axon 7. If ZTE can do it shame on every other manufacturer.

clav

Alternatively, look for CM support.

Some cheap manufacturers out there are doing a better job at updating recently although I don't think any of them have pushed out a September update yet.

Noema

Anyone using Tugabrowser? As of late it has been mysteriously switching the default search engine from Google to Bing. Specially annoying since that stops the in-window search from working.

I have to change it back to Google at least once a day.

That Nextbit Robin for $200 is a great deal. It's basically a better Nexus 5x. Also the Idol 3 for $100 is great. I'd buy one as a backup phone if I lived in the states.

Chinner

Banned
My iPhone is dying and I'm thinking of finally switching. Thoughts on the current offerings from Samsung if I am looking for a good iPhone equivalent on Verizon? Tips for switching ecosystems?
S7 Edge is great. Same system spec as note, just doesn't have the pen..

teiresias

Alternatively, look for CM support.

Some cheap manufacturers out there are doing a better job at updating recently although I don't think any of them have pushed out a September update yet.

I'm not really into rooting anymore to load custom ROMs - an action that arguably negates enough security that doing it to get the patches seems silly.

Dobsie

Anyone using Tugabrowser? As of late it has been mysteriously switching the default search engine from Google to Bing. Specially annoying since that stops the in-window search from working.

I have to change it back to Google at least once a day.

That Nextbit Robin for $200 is a great deal. It's basically a better Nexus 5x. Also the Idol 3 for $100 is great. I'd buy one as a backup phone if I lived in the states.

I was using Tuga but it started getting pretty buggy for me on both the beta and stable releases. it messed up my passwords on the rare occasion I could get it to sync with my google account, and pages would sometimes just hang and take forever to load. I've just gone back to chrome in the end.

clav

I'm not really into rooting anymore to load custom ROMs - an action that arguably negates enough security that doing it to get the patches seems silly.
?

Rooting doesn't mean custom ROM. You can root on official. You're confusing two things. If your bootloader is unlocked, you can install anything.

Also just because you have a custom OS doesn't mean root is turned on.

Would you rather have updated patches or stuck on official with no patch?

teiresias

?

Rooting doesn't mean custom ROM. You can root on official. You're confusing two things. If your bootloader is unlocked, you can install anything.

Also just because you have a custom OS doesn't mean root is turned on.

Would you rather have updated patches or stuck on official with no patch?

You're right, my brain is mush today, lol.

teiresias

You might be confusing unlocking bootloader and rooting. I run CM without root access.

It's been so long since I've done any of this, but do you have to have a custom recovery on a OP3 to install CM, and if so don't you have to root to install the custom recovery (TWRP I'd guess nowadays)? Once you've got TWRP can you unroot and then install CM?

RuGalz

It's been so long since I've done any of this, but do you have to have a custom recovery on a OP3 to install CM, and if so don't you have to root to install the custom recovery (TWRP I'd guess nowadays)? Once you've got TWRP can you unroot and then install CM?

Yea you need custom recovery. Before that, you need to unlock your bootloader if you haven't already, which will wipe the phone.

Then, you can install TWRP by using Fastboot tool. (i.e. find the appropriate one for your device; for N5, the instructions are on this page: https://twrp.me/devices/lgnexus5.html)

After that you just install CM and Gapps. CM13 is not rooted by default, you have to go into developer menu to enable root. You will lose Android Pay because the rom is not signed regardless of root status.

Weird, after that entire discharge issue from last night, it seems that my battery is doing what it should now. The battery life is back to what is was and is normal again. How the hell does that work? I guess it needed to discharge to fix its shit?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Shit about to get real Android bros!

Google Blog

Today, we are proud to announce that the Google VR SDK 1.0 with support for Daydream has graduated out of beta, and is now available on the Daydream developer site. Our updated SDK simplifies common VR development tasks so you can focus on building immersive, interactive mobile VR applications for Daydream-ready phones and headsets, and supports integrated asynchronous reprojection, high fidelity spatialized audio, and interactions using the Daydream controller.

So Blu has yet another budget phone releasing soon. Doesn't seem like a bad option against something like the Moto G4 and personally I absolutely love the R1 HD I own.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZHFSBC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

BLU LIFE ONE X2
5.2" 1080p 2.5D Curved Glass screen with Gorilla Glass 3.
Full Aluminum Build and Front-Facing Fingerprint scanner.
64GB Storage with MicroSD Expansion and 4GB RAM.
Snapdragon 430 chipset.
16MP Main Camera and 8MP Selfie Camera with Front-Facing Flash.
3000 mAh Battery and support for Qualcomm Quick-Charge 3.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow and it will probably never see anything else ever.

All priced at either $180 if you preorder it or $200 at launch. There's also a cheaper option that has 16GB storage and 2GB RAM for $135/$150. Releases October 7th.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The UMi Plus has 4GB RAM and a 4000 mAh battery for just $179 and the 'Extreme' edition with 6GB RAM is coming soon https://t.co/o4X4N6ERbf

wWUBMST.png
No USA LTE.

So Blu has yet another budget phone releasing soon. Doesn't seem like a bad option against something like the Moto G4 and personally I absolutely love the R1 HD I own.

BLU LIFE ONE X2
Snapdragon 430 chipset.

All priced at either $180 if you preorder it or $200 at launch. There's also a cheaper option that has 16GB storage and 2GB RAM for $135/$150. Releases October 7th.

4 GB of RAM for $180. Samsung pls LMAO

Seriously though, this phone is insane. It probably doesn't support US LTE either though.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Shame that these cheap phones have garbage quality control hardware and software wise.

Volotaire

Report out of China that the new MediaTek chips are gonna be 10nm.

Bring on the 10nm future next year.

Next year is going to be sweet. I'm probabaly going to get a new phone next year and a new ultrabook. 10nm Cannonlake ultrabook and 10nm chip phone. I can already taste that increase in battery life.

this_guy

So basically T-Mobile USA only then. It misses critical AT&T bands, and obviously will not work on Verizon and Sprint without a CDMA modem for 2G/3G.

Well, if you do have T-Mobile, it's a pretty amazing deal.

And even on T-mobile if it doesn't have VoLTE then band 12 may not work.

Saiyan-Rox

Allo finally able to be downloaded here

Downloaded

Tried

Unregistered number

Uninstalled

That was fun

Seriously though needs the SMS integration to be better

Funny, with my battery finally dying last night and everything being the way it should be today, it might of even fixed the issue with my car not reading text messages to me. The battery dying might of been the best thing to happen to this phone (Nexus 6P) lol.

wilflare

probably gonna flash a custom kernel for my 6P this weekend (why do we have to do this to get good SOT #Curseof810)

wish me luck guys

Quixzlizx

BLU LIFE ONE X2
Snapdragon 430 chipset.

FYI, you will never get any updates. I have a Life One X, and I think I've gotten one security update since the beginning of the year, and I'm still on Lollipop when Blu claimed Marshmallow for Q1 16.

The battery life is ridiculous, though. Less than 1% drain per hour in standby.

Jeffrey

ZTE has also been doing monthly security updates for last year's Axon Pro and this year's Axon 7. If ZTE can do it shame on every other manufacturer.

well ZTE is still one of the biggest phone companies out there so don't treat them like a indie shop :p

I think china is generally good with security updates with their premium stuff, maybe.

What security version is Honor 8 on?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Pretty sure it's the 820 version. Also, it doesn't seem like the page is up completely, so the price should change

Android gets such good press..

The title of this one is the Galaxy 7 is banned on flights... This won't inaccurately scare owners of the regular S7 or the S7 Edge at all...
http://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/t...-actually-b.html?cid=sf01001&sr_share=twitter

Then we have this one is reporting that Allo no longer uses the end-to-end encryption in incognito mode...
https://news.fastcompany.com/no-mat...llo-messenger-app-says-edward-snowden-4019786

Reporters are so clueless on anything that's not the iPhone...

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Android gets such good press..

The title of this one is the Galaxy 7 is banned on flights... This won't inaccurately scare owners of the regular S7 or the S7 Edge at all...
http://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/t...-actually-b.html?cid=sf01001&sr_share=twitter

Then we have this one is reporting that Allo no longer uses the end-to-end encryption in incognito mode...
https://news.fastcompany.com/no-mat...llo-messenger-app-says-edward-snowden-4019786

Reporters are so clueless on anything that's not the iPhone...
Google's Galaxy 7 by Samsung.

Top Bottom