• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

AndyD

aka andydumi
Depending on your definition of affordable there is already Eero and Netgear Orbi.

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but using the AP setup will only be as strong as the strength of the signal the repeater unit gets. Whole mesh networks becomes a single unified network.

But if your main router and AP are all wired, then they all get full strength. Multiple wired devices create a large uniform network.

$129 is nice, but I don't know how much better Google Home will be than the Echo. Amazon is seemingly going all in on the Echo whereas Google may just dump Home by next year.

Plus we better be able to say something other than "OK Google" to trigger it.

Well, Home can cast things to your TV. It's already better than Echo out of the gate for me, and I love my Echo. It integrates with Google (calendar, mail, music, etc.) without hack-y workarounds, and that's a huge advantage.

But if your main router and AP are all wired, then they all get full strength. Multiple wired devices create a large uniform network.

In a wired context you are totally right. In a wireless context I believe mesh networks win. And as someone looking to kill as many cables as possible, a mesh network is looking very interesting.

Well, Home can cast things to your TV. It's already better than Echo out of the gate for me, and I love my Echo. It integrates with Google (calendar, mail, music, etc.) without hack-y workarounds, and that's a huge advantage.

Not to mention that Google understands more then just English, which is nice for the rest of us.

Polarburr

How does app preview message work in Allo exactly?

How come it only works on some of my friends running Android? The rest of my contacts in the allo app just have 'invite' and goes straight to sms.

HawkeyeIC

More on Google Wifi from Droid-Life:

The point of Google WiFi is to be very much like Eero or Luma, two WiFi router products that expand in a house to help it cover every corner, so that you don’t have any weak spots. Google is pushing this as a “mesh technology” powered by “modular” bases in that you can add on parts to it, which is why I’m comparing it to those other two products. They work similarly, where you start with a router connected to your modem and then continue to add on new routers or modules to expand the network. If you are worried about security there, understand that new modules or routers will have to be a “trusted” module, signed by Google. That make sense?

We aren’t sure if this will be branded as a Google OnHub device or not, but the OnHub app will certainly be the controller out of the gate. Well, unless Google decides to create a new app, but that would require unnecessary work and we haven’t heard that that is the case. Because it will be controlled by OnHub, that means IFTTT compatibility, device connection management, setting up family hubs with schedules and other controls over content, and auto security updates.

From what we’ve been told, each Google WiFi is dual band (of course it is), has two ports on each device, AC1200 speeds, 802.15.4 radios, Bluetooth, and can be setup in minutes.

$129 is more than likely the starting point for a single module. We don’t yet know what it will cost to expand with additional hardware, though companies like Eero tend to sell in bundles. My guess is that Google may do something similar.

AndyD

aka andydumi
How does app preview message work in Allo exactly?

How come it only works on some of my friends running Android? The rest of my contacts in the allo app just have 'invite' and goes straight to sms.

I believe that if they have an old version of the Google Services Framework, they get the SMS option. Nothing can be done on your side if they fail to update their device.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Chromecast Ultra for 4K is quite nice. I don't have a 4K TV, but the price seems fair, especially if it supports HDR.

Ehhhhhh

Most every 4K TV already has these apps built in.

You don't need a 4K Chromecast when the built in say Netflix App already does 4K streaming.

What we need to know is if the Play Store will offer 4K movies to rent/buy.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 6m minutes ago

Not notable enough to post on AP, and could easily change, but two of the Pixel phone colors may be called 'Very silver' and 'Quite black.'

what

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Quasar

You actually can change the Echo's trigger. It's just that Alexa as a trigger is the default and that's what everyone sticks with.

Ah. Didn't know that, as I've not paid that close attention to it as its not been given a worldwide release, plus I don't really use amazon services.

What's the best battery drain testing app? Something is chewing up the battery on my G4, but I can't pinpoint it. The battery itself is about 12 months old, so I was thinking it was possible that some capacity has been lost.

No Love

Banned
What's the best battery drain testing app? Something is chewing up the battery on my G4, but I can't pinpoint it. The battery itself is about 12 months old, so I was thinking it was possible that some capacity has been lost.

Just give up. Never solved my drain on the G4. You need to root and use GSam Battery Monitor and Wakelock Detector.

It has a snapdragon 808. Sell it and upgrade

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I know not really Android related, but has anyone else had a problem with Google Drive being incredibly slow with both downloads and uploads the past couple days or so? I'm also having issues with trying to free up space and no matter how much I delete, the listed available space doesn't change. Google drive really pisses me off sometimes.

GuessWho

My wife is currently searching for a new phone. She currently has a nexus 5 but says she is ready for an upgrade. She wants a bigger screen. I know the new pixels are coming but they are probably going to be out of her budget. I was thinking of the LG G5 given that there is a current promotion with our provider. What is the general consensus on the G5 post release? Is it a good option? The Samsung are too expensive as well. Her ideal phone would of been the 6p but they no longer sell it subsidized.
Thanks for the help!

this_guy

My wife is currently searching for a new phone. She currently has a nexus 5 but says she is ready for an upgrade. She wants a bigger screen. I know the new pixels are coming but they are probably going to be out of her budget. I was thinking of the LG G5 given that there is a current promotion with our provider. What is the general consensus on the G5 post release? Is it a good option? The Samsung are too expensive as well. Her ideal phone would of been the 6p but they no longer sell it subsidized.
Thanks for the help!

The G5 is a dud at the same price as the Galaxy S7 (S7 has the best camera and G5 build quality wasn't the greatest), but if you can get it in a similar price range to the OnePlus 3/Axon 7/Honor 8 it's a great phone with a great camera.

Thanks for the help!

The new Pixel phones could drop or have eBay deals sooner than later. There could even be a Project Fi promotion day 1. I say at least wait a bit so she can update to an experience she's used to.

The HTC 10 is also highly reviewed if you see that on sale.

Interesting....Wonder if they downclocked it to prevent it from reaching incredibly high temps?

I mean, straight up getting a new battery provider would take way too long to implement in the given time right?

If this really does happen and supports both Android Play Store software and maybe even to where it can run like a Linux machine for gaming, it could be huge. But yeah, I'm probably talking out my ass right now lol.

GuessWho

The G5 is a dud at the same price as the Galaxy S7 (S7 has the best camera and G5 build quality wasn't the greatest), but if you can get it in a similar price range to the OnePlus 3/Axon 7/Honor 8 it's a great phone with a great camera.

lol I showed her(in person) the G5 to see if she was interested, she said it's ugly and will wait for pixel. I think OP3 would be ideal for her though since the 6P is still more expensive here in canada.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, October 4 is shaping up to be huge. No wonder they're hyping it hard.

akileese

I mean, straight up getting a new battery provider would take way too long to implement in the given time right?

If this really does happen and supports both Android Play Store software and maybe even to where it can run like a Linux machine for gaming, it could be huge. But yeah, I'm probably talking out my ass right now lol.

I'd have to assume so. Maybe they did something with the firmware update too. This whole thing is looking really shady and weird. Going to be very interesting to see how it plays out over the next few months.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm more worried about this than happy.

Chrome OS currently runs great even on low end hardware without a ton of bloat or extra apps to cause issues.

That's the opposite of Android.

Top Bottom