• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

well ZTE is still one of the biggest phone companies out there so don't treat them like a indie shop :p

I think china is generally good with security updates with their premium stuff, maybe.

What security version is Honor 8 on?

Not sure which security version Honor 8 is on, but I think it was ArsTechnica that said Huawei was committing to at least 24 months for updates but wouldn't commit to monthly security updates. Seems like they will do quarterly security updates but that's just speculation.

Surprised you guys love your no name brand mid-high spec phones so much. Real courage.

I think big manufacturers like ZTE and Huawei are fine because they're trying to make a dent in the US market, but I wouldn't touch Blu unless you need something absolutely cheap.

clav

Android gets such good press..

Reporters are so clueless on anything that's not the iPhone...

Journalism is a very underpaid profession, and news just wants clicks for money since no one wants to subscribe. Reporters all over have sacrificed quality reporting for quantity.

Jeffrey

i just wish samsung would 'line' things up.

the ports and grill just aren't really symmetrical. I forgot if note 7 addressed that.

I'm using an S7 Edge and not really that impressed. It locks up for a couple of seconds sometimes and the back gets pretty hot doing normal tasks. I'd probably go crazy using this phone without any custom roms to get rid of Touchwiz.

i just noticed there was a response.

WY1WTlN.png

Quasar

Well...got my cross country non techie sister on the Allo train. Seemed to work pretty well for our first long chat using it.

Xisiqomelir

Surprised you guys love your no name brand mid-high spec phones so much. Real courage.

If someone would make a flagship with an unlocked bootloader and MicroSD slot, I'd check it out.

This crop of camera-centric, locked down, 64 GB at best widgets aren't for me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have sooooo many questions about Android DayDream! It's crazy!

I hope Google sells this well and answers them all.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pro tip: to see which of your contacts has Allo installed, click on Start incognito chat.

I have 5 people with Allo.

It's not perfect. I have 4 but already had two incognito chats with people who do not show up in that list. I showed up in theirs.

this_guy

It's not perfect. I have 4 but already had two incognito chats with people who do not show up in that list. I showed up in theirs.

That makes sense though because the people you've already had incognito chats with should be in your conversation list.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That makes sense though because the people you've already had incognito chats with should be in your conversation list.

It does not make sense as incognito conversations expire from the list. One of the two missing ones now appears in the Incognito list. So it's a slow rollout process I am sure.

Mindwipe

Please buy our router. We know we said that last time and promised rapid updates that never happened and it was an expensive disaster.

But this one will be different, even though we won't even admit we fucked the last one up badly.

Honest!

Mindwipe

It'll be very weird if Google hold a second event where they announce Home and still don't release the thing.

I mean, yes, it's better to not release something that release something like Allo, but something in Google's project management is deeply wrong if that keeps happening.

And yeah, mesh networking isn't very interesting. Loads of routers have mesh networking.

Heck, if you're in the UK Sky's Satellite TV boxes have mesh networking to enhance your wi-fi range if they're your ISP.

Mindwipe

It's interesting times on the leak front. Android Police are doubling down that they don't think a 7 inch Pixel is getting announced. But it's very hard to see that one is coming this year (as per Evleaks) if it doesn't get announced that this event.

You can although there has yet to exist an easy to setup and affordable solution.

Depending on your definition of affordable there is already Eero and Netgear Orbi.

I will be extremely surprised if Google will release anything other then the phones beyond the US sadly.

I am confused, what's easier and cheaper than setting your routers/APs to the same SSID/pass?

Or is there a fundamental difference in the way the mesh network acts?

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but using the AP setup will only be as strong as the strength of the signal the repeater unit gets. Whole mesh networks becomes a single unified network.

Toki767

$129 is nice, but I don't know how much better Google Home will be than the Echo. Amazon is seemingly going all in on the Echo whereas Google may just dump Home by next year.

Plus we better be able to say something other than "OK Google" to trigger it.

$129 is nice, but I don't know how much better Google Home will be than the Echo. Amazon is seemingly going all in on the Echo whereas Google may just dump Home by next year.

Plus we better be able to say something other than "OK Google" to trigger it.

In the promotional video for Home they use the trigger word "Hey Google"

Top Bottom