• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I'd have to assume so. Maybe they did something with the firmware update too. This whole thing is looking really shady and weird. Going to be very interesting to see how it plays out over the next few months.

Its going to play out into a bunch of long time Samsung users buying Pixel phones and/or buying iPhones.

In the past the disgruntled Samsung users seem to go straight to iPhones except for some of the geeks trying other Android devices.

Maybe google will change that. It will be interesting to see.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm more worried about this than happy.

Chrome OS currently runs great even on low end hardware without a ton of bloat or extra apps to cause issues.

That's the opposite of Android.
Because it's pretty much running nothing but a browser... which is it's downfall as an OS when we're strickly speaking about functionality.

Admodieus

Wonder if Andromeda will be kept internal to Google to differentiate the Pixel line. Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. will get to keep using regular Android in their own ways.

Hmm ghostery is fucking up my phone, had to power button restart phone 3 times now, wouldn't even use the browser if there's dam news sites and such didn't have so many pop ups and auto play ads

Its going to play out into a bunch of long time Samsung users buying Pixel phones and/or buying iPhones.

In the past the disgruntled Samsung users seem to go straight to iPhones except for some of the geeks trying other Android devices.

I went from Samsung to Nexus and I won't look back. I can get tempted elsewhere, but the support, patches and features given in Nexus/Pixel phones is just plain awesome.

Chrome OS currently runs great even on low end hardware without a ton of bloat or extra apps to cause issues.

The lowest of low-end PCs are still much more powerful than any Android device. It's pretty hard to compare x86 to ARM in general but even the slowest x86 continues to run rings around the fastest implementation of ARM we have today.

With 50% turned in, 45% (90% of returns) opted for another Note 7.

Surely the back half will be even more loyal.

Quasar

I assumed where it is now (running android apps on top of Chrome) is basically where it would be. Apps just need some fine tuning to recognise the different physical interfaces.

I'm not sure how different this Andromeda might be.

Noema

I'll probably never really use Allo as a messaging app since I live in a Whatsapp Republic but I have to admit, Google Assistant is pretty spiffy.

I'll probably never really use Allo as a messaging app since I live in a Whatsapp Republic but I have to admit, Google Assistant is pretty spiffy.
Assistant is great. I can't wait for them to roll that into the Google app and their other products/services.

Edit: I'm excited to see what Google is doing with Andromeda, but I'll temper my expectations on it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The lowest of low-end PCs are still much more powerful than any Android device. It's pretty hard to compare x86 to ARM in general but even the slowest x86 continues to run rings around the fastest implementation of ARM we have today.
I got a laptop with an Intel N3050 SoC running on Linux and the Snapdragon 810 in my 6P runs circles around it when comes to comparable performance (e.g. web browsing). Of course there's more than one factor deciding the outcome but it's quite ridicilous that my laptop can't even go through a spreadsheet as fast as my smartphone. I guess it's time for an upgrade :\

Ty4on

I got a laptop with an Intel N3050 SoC running on Linux and the Snapdragon 810 in my 6P runs circles around it when comes to comparable performance (e.g. web browsing). Of course there's more than one factor deciding the outcome but it's quite ridicilous that my laptop can't even go through a spreadsheet as fast as my smartphone. I guess it's time for an upgrade :
That's literally a smartphone SoC though. The CPU design is an evolution of what their smartphone SoCs had only with two instead of four cores.

Reckoner

Hardware is great. The company is terrible. The software is too closed.

You're in an Android thread dude.

Company terrible? This ain't no One Plus, bro. But yeah, I get what you say about the software being closed. Used to have a Nexus 6, btw, and I switch it up from time to time to keep things fresh.

That doesn't mean I can't have a talk about iPhone when someone calls it out. That has been part of the convo for a long time.

Don't know if it was posted, but the Sony XZ is up for pre-order.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/24/sony-xperia-xz-pre-orders-go-live/

I will say, I wish it had 4GB and wasn't fucking $700 starting...

I still find Sony's design very good looking. If I went to buy an Android phone, this would be it. It usually price drops very quickly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's that time of the year when Samsung Galaxy owners start complaining about how slow their phones are becoming. Timing is about right. Happens every year. I am not joking. Search the old OTs.

Bite me once. Bite them seven times.

Toki767

It's that time of the year when Samsung Galaxy owners start complaining about how slow their phones are becoming. Timing is about right. Happens every year. I am not joking. Search the old OTs.

Mine still seems fine.

Quasar

Android owners here are weird. Always complaining.

Groof

This shit is unacceptable. Shut off at 20% turn back on it's on 1%. Plug in and immediately it's on 10%

9S0uPRK.jpg

This shit is unacceptable. Shut off at 20% turn back on it's on 1%. Plug in and immediately it's on 10%

If it's a 6P, I let mine die and I turned it back on, charged it fully and it's perfectly fine again. Don't know why, but it works like new, in terms of battery life.

tzare

Your battery is in bad shape. If still in warranty try to get it replaced. My note started to act like that. New battery, no more problems.

Btw, note 4 owner here. Snappier than when i bought it. Just to let you know. My wife's s4 also did perform well until it was replaced recently for an A5 2016 that works like a charm with god like battery life

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Calibration issue. Quit using Tinder so much.

kinggroin

Banned

Preach.

One of the best things about my Chromebook is how effortlessly it handles what I throw at it. Considering I know phones with better specs than it, that often time struggle with Android.

No thanks.

Protome

Don't know if it was posted, but the Sony XZ is up for pre-order.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/24/sony-xperia-xz-pre-orders-go-live/

I will say, I wish it had 4GB and wasn't fucking $700 starting...

It seems like a really hard sell in the US.
In the UK (and the rest of the EU) it has a fingerprint sensor, is £549 (which is on par with/slightly cheaper than the other flagships) and comes with a pair of headphones which can be easily flipped for at least £100 if preordered.

It's actually a pretty decent deal here. My upgrade is due October 1st, so I'm going to try and get in on that preorder deal first chance I can.

kaiyo

It seems like a really hard sell in the US.
In the UK (and the rest of the EU) it has a fingerprint sensor, is £549 (which is on par with/slightly cheaper than the other flagships) and comes with a pair of headphones which can be easily flipped for at least £100 if preordered.

It's actually a pretty decent deal here. My upgrade is due October 1st, so I'm going to try and get in on that preorder deal first chance I can.

It's cheaper for Americans to import from the UK, lol

£449 (ex VAT) = US$582.24

I can't decide between the Platinum and the Forest Blue lol

Company terrible? This ain't no One Plus, bro.

Apple created a patent troll company called the Rockstar Consortium built specifically for trying to litigate and bring down android via the legal system.

Ebook Price fixing? Suing Samsung with knowingly invalid patents. Import banning HTC phones with invalid patents. Apple ruined an HTC phone launch and that was when HTC was still popular.

People seem to forget about all of their bad practices for some reason. Apple is not a good company.

Apple created a patent troll company called the Rockstar Consortium built specifically for trying to litigate and bring down android via the legal system.

Ebook Price fixing? Suing Samsung with knowingly invalid patents. Import banning HTC phones with invalid patents. Apple ruined an HTC phone launch and that was when HTC was still popular.

People seem to figure about all of their bad practices for some reason. Apple is not a good company.

Apple is a horrible company. On top of the above, they treat their employees like shit. Not sure why they have so many people loyal to them.

Reckoner

People seem to figure about all of their bad practices for some reason. Apple is not a good company.

Oh, ok. I'm with you there. Thought you were walking about customer support, that's why I refered One Plus.

Anyway, from my experience, the 6s remains a great all around phone.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Learning about the Seattle Rex lawsuit is when I finally decided to stop giving these assholes any of my money.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Will any of the 'big 4' US carriers be stocking the Xperia X Compact? I'm on Virgin Mobile right now with a very old Galaxy S3 that's about to die, and will probably move to a "real" cell carrier next. Problem is, all the new Android phones are way too big for me and this Xperia looks like one of the few options I have (or switching to iPhone, which I don't really want to do).

ThisOne

Will any of the 'big 4' US carriers be stocking the Xperia X Compact? I'm on Virgin Mobile right now with a very old Galaxy S3 that's about to die, and will probably move to a "real" cell carrier next. Problem is, all the new Android phones are way too big for me and this Xperia looks like one of the few options I have (or switching to iPhone, which I don't really want to do).

Could you not just stay with Virgin Mobile and get the new Xperia?

I'm sort of in the same boat. I want the new Xperia Compact but I'm currently on Verizon so I'm wondering what I should ditch Verizon for. Would Virgin be a good choice?

Top Bottom