• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

Why on earth would they test it on a tablet that can barely run it's own OS anyway?

I would think the Google software team had a party when supporting the 9 dropped.

Although I wonder if the Pixel C will get it? I can't see Google dropping Android for the new cross over on it but maybe the option to install the new software on it maybe.

Huh they say the Pixel is Mediocre? the fuck.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All dem rumors of Mali shit talking saying their next gen GPU gonna be the business and best Adreno.

giphy.gif

Chorazin

Why on earth would they test it on a tablet that can barely run it's own OS anyway?

I would think the Google software team had a party when supporting the 9 dropped.

Although I wonder if the Pixel C will get it? I can't see Google dropping Android for the new cross over on it but maybe the option to install the new software on it maybe.

Huh they say the Pixel is Mediocre? the fuck.

How in the shit is the Pixel "mediocre"? It's arguably the most powerful current Android tablet. It beats the shit out of the 9 with one core tied behind it's back.

Vanillalite

Gonna need better CPU performance if this thing is actually gonna be a hybrid. Unless somehow Google is gonna do a total redo of Chrome and make it rely on the GPU even more than it already does.

Am I crazy for wanting a Note 7 still?

Toyed with the idea of an iPhone 7. Used my wife's SE for a while and still don't like iOS.

Kinda burned with Nexus(Pixel) phones at the moment due to my N6 still not having an official Nougat update.

Aiii

So not worth it

Toyed with the idea of an iPhone 7. Used my wife's SE for a while and still don't like iOS.

Kinda burned with Nexus(Pixel) phones at the moment due to my N6 still not having an official Nougat update.

Not sure the Note 7 is going to help prevent this aspect.

You feel burned your Nexus 6 is a month behind on an update when Samsung devices can be 6 - 12 months for updates. I do not understand your logic at all.

Opt in your device to beta if you want Nougat right now. https://www.google.com/android/beta

Google may have had issues getting 7.0 to run well on the Nexus 6 and probably decided to wait for 7.1 to be ready next week.

Not sure the Note 7 is going to help prevent this aspect.

Yeah I know the updates aren't gonna be fast on a Note, especially on a carrier. But I'm kind of past the point of needing updates right away. I bought the N6 (and N4 previously) on that promise and it's never really been delivered on.

I mentioned this in the iPhone 7 thread, but my main priority for a phone now with a toddler and another on the way in February is a super-fast, high quality camera.

I'm also not confident the Pixel phones will be anywhere near iPhone/Galaxy levels in that regard.

Vanillalite

I'm mixed on this whole Andromeda bullshit.

Is this something else they will fuck with and kill in a few years? What happens to Chrome OS? Is that another dead product for Google?

Why would people pick up an $800+ Google laptop when they could just get a Windows or OSX machine since we are talking a high price vs entry level Chrome OS?

What's the advantage here?

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah I know the updates aren't gonna be fast on a Note, especially on a carrier. But I'm kind of past the point of needing updates right away. I bought the N6 (and N4 previously) on that promise and it's never really been delivered on.

I mentioned this in the iPhone 7 thread, but my main priority for a phone now with a toddler and another on the way in February is a super-fast, high quality camera.

I'm also not confident the Pixel phones will be anywhere near iPhone/Galaxy levels in that regard.

I'm actually seriously considering (as in, I'm 99% sure I'm going to do it) going back to iPhone myself (after 4 years of Android). Mostly because I don't want HTC and because Android just keeps introducing weird bugs with each update.

Frankly, if you want a phone that has consistent and (mostly) reliable updates, you need to be on iOS at the moment. Stock Android support isn't what it used to be (it's pretty much a dice throw on whether or not your battery life is fucked on Nougat right now), and the Qualcomm keep messing up on the hardware end too. iPhone currently has the fastest processors (by far) and the OS has caught up with most of Android. Sure, it still isn't as customizable (only a factor if you do, in fact, customize), but since you're able to delete stock apps now, have widgets, connect your smart appliances (Home is pretty great, you guys) and more. I don't know, making the switch might be the right time.

As for the camera, the camera business has been pretty stagnant, any flagship camera should do you just fine in speed and quality.

I dunno man, unless you're hell bent on sticking with Android, making that switch might not be the worst idea.

Google is marketing October 4th inside of web version Google Calendar now.

Devices must go on sale the day of the conference. This is just too much marketing otherwise.

9to5Google Editor is doubling down on his comments that, in addition to the two Pixel phones, Googy will announce a Nexus device. Sadly, I assume that's the rumored Huawei Nexus tablet.

I'm actually seriously considering (as in, I'm 99% sure I'm going to do it) going back to iPhone myself (after 4 years of Android). Mostly because I don't want HTC and because Android just keeps introducing weird bugs with each update.

Frankly, if you want a phone that has consistent and (mostly) reliable updates, you need to be on iOS at the moment. Stock Android support isn't what it used to be (it's pretty much a dice throw on whether or not your battery life is fucked on Nougat right now), and the Qualcomm keep messing up on the hardware end too. iPhone currently has the fastest processors (by far) and the OS has caught up with most of Android. Sure, it still isn't as customizable (only a factor if you do, in fact, customize), but since you're able to delete stock apps now, have widgets, connect your smart appliances (Home is pretty great, you guys) and more. I don't know, making the switch might be the right time.

As for the camera, the camera business has been pretty stagnant, any flagship camera should do you just fine in speed and quality.

I dunno man, unless you're hell bent on sticking with Android, making that switch might not be the worst idea.

One thing holding be back is that I'm on Project Fi and loving it. I'd actually save money by going back to AT&T (my parents, wife and brother are all on a family plan heavily discounted from my mom's work, so I'd only pay $15 for the line per month) but I just love the idea of Fi and the service has been nothing but excellent for me.

I've read conflicting reports on the speed of the 6P camera, which is what's leading to my hesitation on trusting the Pixel. I know it's better than the N6 by miles, but I never want to be in a situation again where I miss capturing a moment with my kids again.

Not trying to derail this thread into iOS vs Android. I'm still planning on waiting till the 4th and then deciding once i see what the Pixels are like in people's hands.

Lnkn52

+1 on all those arguments.

I've been a android user since the HTC Hero. Since the GF isnt using her iPhone 6 anymore, I went ahead and switched (was using the S6 Edge). Im pretty shocked how smoothed this 2 year old phone runs. Things just work.

I am due for Upgrade in December, so I holding out to see if Pixel is any good, if not I'm going with the 7+.

Nikodemos

9to5Google Editor is doubling down on his comments that, in addition to the two Pixel phones, Googy will announce a Nexus device. Sadly, I assume that's the rumored Huawei Nexus tablet.
Why do people insist on still calling them Nexus? Google dropped that name for their devices with the upcoming lineup. It's likely to be a Pixel tablet with a Kirin SoC (since I don't see why Huawei would use a competing Qualcomm, or an Exynos, or a Tegra).

You have valid complaints but this is exactly why Google is leaving Nexus behind and creating the Pixel line where it will have tighter control of the software and hardware. A better product should be coming vs what we were used to with the Nexus.

Also, why don't you like HTC? The HTC 10 killed it in the reviews.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10468/the-htc-10-review
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/htc-10-review-htc-builds-the-best-android-flagship-of-2016/

Why do people insist on still calling them Nexus? Google dropped that name for their devices with the upcoming lineup. It's likely to be a Pixel tablet with a Kirin SoC (since I don't see why Huawei would use a competing Qualcomm, or an Exynos, or a Tegra).

Who knows at this point. maybe google is keeping the Nexus name around for tablets but I agree with you and doubt it.

If it is a Pixel the SOC decision is not up to Huawei so it may not be a Kirin. Hopefully Google just uses the most power efficient and cheapest SOC available.

Aiii

So not worth it
I've read conflicting reports on the speed of the 6P camera, which is what's leading to my hesitation on trusting the Pixel. I know it's better than the N6 by miles, but I never want to be in a situation again where I miss capturing a moment with my kids again.

6P camera is okay, I can take a picture within 4 or 5 seconds from lock.

My work 6S though is quicker then that. Swipe to the right, press picture button and you're done in a second. 6P takes some extra time to focus.

Exclusive: Google plans to launch Andromeda on a ‘Nexus’ Huawei tablet, ‘Pixel’ laptop

If you read between the lines, the distinction appears to be:

Nexus = developer hardware, early software, not meant for the average Joe.
Pixel = consumer device, polished and ready to go.

If an early version of Andromeda is shipping with the Huawei tablet this year, that makes sense.

Saiyan-Rox

why would thet continue nexus for tablets though?

Are they really gonna have Nexus and Pixel devices releasing every year or are they going to keep pixel phones every couple of years and have nexus in between?

Gah!

Mindwipe

why would thet continue nexus for tablets though?

Andromeda test device. Early doors. They're prototype devices running test software, not consumer devices that happen to get regular software updates.

The concept of Andromeda still feels like it would make more sense on a limited run of Pixel C's than a 7 inch tablet personally, but I'll take a good N7 replacement.

Saiyan-Rox

Andromeda test device. Early doors. They're prototype devices running test software, not consumer devices that happen to get regular software updates.

The concept of Andromeda still feels like it would make more sense on a limited run of Pixel C's than a 7 inch tablet personally, but I'll take a good N7 replacement.

wouldn't it be better labeled as a Pixel than a Nexus then? I guess only Google themelsevs know what they're doing atm

That Nexus tablet could have been started two years ago and could be the actual last Nexus. Huawei also may not have wanted to give up all decision making like HTC needed to with the Pixel phones.
The nexus program is a joint effort unlike the Pixel situation where google has full control.

Also, I don't see anything in 9To5Google's story that really gives them any credibility. The nexus tablet rumor is not new (evleaks) and the rest of the story is rehashing Android Police's.

Aiii

So not worth it

I've said this before, so I apologise for anyone having to read this yet again, but HTC builds shit products, simple as that. I've owned two HTC devices, my HTC Universal lasted 3 days until the sim card holder broke and when it came back from that it lasted 11 days until the screen randomly broke in my pocket (in a clamshell design, no less, for shame HTC), a common occurrence for the devices that they refused to cover under warranty.

Against my better judgement, since an experience like that is normally enough to put me off of anyone's products forever, I got a Nexus 9, because "hey, it's Google and there's finally a 4:3 Android tablet, yay" and we all know what great quality that was.

Needless to say, they can get the best reviews in the world, I fully intend to never buy anything HTC again.

As for the Pixel idea, we'll see. The past few years Google have done a rather incomplete job in their OS development, and it's a shame since they pulled ahead of iOS for several years there. On the other hand, competition is good and as long as these two are fighting it out, I'm sure the consumer comes out on top. I won't be completely without Android even if I do switch, I always have an Android and iPad side by side along with whatever phone I happen to use. There's no hate, just choices yay.

wouldn't it be better labeled as a Pixel than a Nexus then? I guess only Google themelsevs know what they're doing atm

Google generally just throws a bunch of shit at the wall and sees what sticks. See also: Google Plus, three different messaging apps, iGoogle, Picasa, Google Glass and Google Video. It's what makes them such a fun company, they aren't afraid to fail.

Exclusive: Google plans to launch Andromeda on a ‘Nexus’ Huawei tablet, ‘Pixel’ laptop

If you read between the lines, the distinction appears to be:

Nexus = developer hardware, early software, not meant for the average Joe.
Pixel = consumer device, polished and ready to go.

If an early version of Andromeda is shipping with the Huawei tablet this year, that makes sense.

You may be right... maybe nexus devices are no longer going to be marketed at all and just for devs.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...romeda-os-rumored-7-inch-huawei-nexus-tablet/

RuGalz

I wonder if they are doing something new with Chromecast Audio since everyone is doing $10 off thing right now. I can't imagine what they could change though.

Vanillalite

Yep that's a 2nd gen Chromecast in terms of design.

Never really was a fan of the design change, but whatever.

I'm more interested in what this thing actually does that isn't already built into most 4K TVs.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Android TV implementation on my 4K Philips TV is dogshit. Boots slow, crashes a bunch, doesn't properly support 4K in everything because apparently there is a difference between Android TV and "Powered by Android TV" and the latter doesn't have licenses to a certain 4K codec.

I am glad I invested in a Shield TV (before I got the TV) so i don't have to deal with any of that stuff, timely updates in a fast box with snappy navigation.

My non-smart TV is in my bedroom with my lovely Chromecast 2 for that bedtime viewing, good stuff.

Glad they are sticking with the design, the original design was just impractical if you wanted to use a back HDMI port, especially with wall mounted TVs.

Vanillalite

It's much more likely that the app in your TV may just stop working one day and TV manufactures are far worse at keeping things updated.

Yeah, but that day isn't here for everyone.

The device is.

Again they gotta sell us that this can do something that other devices can't. I assume that means 4K play support, but we haven't heard any rumors on that front yet.

Vanillalite

Buying the new Chromecast is absolutely pointless with the new Mi Box Android TV out this week for the same price.

I guess? I mean the Chromecast in theory is smaller.

I don't see what the Mi Box is gonna do for me that Chromecast won't do in a smaller footprint.

I still maintain both are rather obsolete if Googy doesn't offer 4K TV and Movies from the playstore to cast.

I guess? I mean the Chromecast in theory is smaller.

I don't see what the Mi Box is gonna do for me that Chromecast won't do in a smaller footprint.

I still maintain both are rather obsolete if Googy doesn't offer 4K TV and Movies from the playstore to cast.

You get an entire TV operating system with a voice remote in addition to Google Cast. Its a no brainer over the 4k Chromecast due the choices you get as a consumer.

Its Tiny.
banner.jpg

Unless the 4k Chromecast has some hidden secret feature but I doubt it.

Groof

The Chromecast is such a great piece of tech. It's probably one of my best tech purchases of the last 5 years, and one of my most used. Since I don't have a TV it helped turn my PC monitor into a full fledged media hub

Vanillalite

You get an entire TV operating system in addition to Google Cast. Its a no brainer to buy the Mi Box because of the choices you get as a consumer.

Its Tiny.

banner.jpg

I don't need the TV OS though when everything is basically baked in to my TV already.

That's kinda been the whole point with all of the stream devices lately, and it's not exclusively a Google problem.

I don't need the TV OS though when everything is basically baked in to my TV already.

That's kinda been the whole point with all of the stream devices lately, and it's not exclusively a Google problem.

Yes but not everyone has a GOOD Smart TV yet. Plus this way you dont have to switch inputs in between casting and using the streaming OS.

I agree that eventually it will be TV only operating systems. These streaming devices will be pointless soon. Google made the right decision with Android TV (and Roku).

Apple and Amazon could be in trouble down the road.

Vanillalite

Yes but not everyone has a Smart TV. Plus this way you dont have to switch inputs in between casting and using the TV OS.

I agree that eventually it will be TV only operating systems. These streaming devices will be pointless soon.

No, but everyone who's looking into get a 4K Chromecast probably does have a smart TV as there arent really any 4K TVs without smart TV functionality.

Top Bottom