• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

No, but everyone who's looking into get a 4K Chromecast probably does have a smart TV as there arent really any 4K TVs without smart TV functionality.

Ah gotcha.

If you do need a set top box I still by far prefer the Android TV OS with the google casting. Regardless of cost.

You can pick something in Android TV together then someone else can cast over it. When the casted video is done it will go right back to what was chosen with Android TV.
Its great and no bother with changing inputs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is the same problem Sony had with the PS4 Pro as you can't market the box as a 4K streamer very easily when people with 4K TVs already have that.

You gotta offer something not already baked in. Like UHD physical movies ala Xbone Slim or hopefully 4K play store content.

The problem is none of the leaked info has actually said anything about 4K play store content.

Paznos

I would think as a platform Android TV would be better updated than a smart tv.

I have a smart tv that's a few years old and I'm sure the mi box would perform better than the tv and offer more functionality, even though I can't take advantage of the 4k.

RuGalz

Current year's 4k tvs might be able to stream 4k netflix (not sure about youtube). Plenty of people who bought it last couple years or are buying cheap 4k tvs won't be able to stream those via TV app. 4k youtube will be Google's push and likely 4k movies on play stores.

this_guy

If only Amazon would put their video app on Android TV. I've moved most of my digital movie purchases to Vudu because of this (well that, and you can get cheap Ultraviolet movie codes online) but it'd still be nice to watch Amazon Prime Instant video on the same device. Roku seems to have all the streaming services I want (yet I'm currently using a Fire TV and Chromecast).

If only Amazon would put their video app on Android TV. I've moved most of my digital movie purchases to Vudu because of this (well that, and you can get cheap Ultraviolet movie codes online) but it'd still be nice to watch Amazon Prime Instant video on the same device. Roku seems to have all the streaming services I want (yet I'm currently using a Fire TV and Chromecast).

I have Amazon Instant Video right on my Shield TV home screen.

Side loading on Android TV is a cakewalk. This is the Amazon apk from Sony Android TVs
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/amazon...t-video-android-tv-1-39-android-apk-download/

You can also side load Fire TV apps. I watched football last Thursday with the Fire Twitter app on my Shield TV.

My Sony 4K TV with Android TV has Amazon on it. Idk why it seems to be exclusive to Sony TVs.

My Sony 4K TV with Android TV has Amazon on it. Idk why it seems to be exclusive to Sony TVs.

Same reason Amazon doesnt allow their sellers to list Google and Apple streaming devices.

There is a rumor that Amazon is keeping Playstation Vue off Android TV until end of October. In return Sonys TVs have had access to Prime Video.

Same reason Amazon doesnt allow their sellers to list Google and Apple streaming devices.

There is a rumor that Amazon is keeping Playstation Vue off Android TV until end of October. In return Sonys TVs have had access to Prime Video.

Lord.. that is my problem right now. You'd think Vue of all things would be on Sony TVs.

Have a Roku hooked up only for Vue. Otherwise that TV would have everything I use baked in to the TV itself.

this_guy

Side loading on Android TV is a cakewalk. This is the Amazon apk from Sony Android TVs
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/amazon...t-video-android-tv-1-39-android-apk-download/

You can also side load Fire TV apps. I watched football last Thursday with the Fire Twitter app on my Shield TV.

Ah good to know. Amazon Instant Video has always been the hold up for me against Android TV so glad there's a working solution.

HawkeyeIC

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/26/this-is-the-google-pixel/

Small one, not the XL:

google_pixel-930x465.jpg

Quasar

And it works?

I tried it on my nexus and the app runs but streams never work, I assumed amazon is blocking non sony devices.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can someone please leak the headset for VR? Since we are in the Leaky Cauldron the last week or so having a couple beers.

I really hope there's some special sauce cooked into the Pixel XL AND that it's not as expensive as rumor has it. Because I am thirsty for that upgrade from my N6.

No Love

Banned
So I'm looking at $800-850 for Pixel XL. Gonna be a tough choice between that and LG V20...

Really goofy pricing though. Google wants to go up against the Note 7 and iPhone 7 Plus so badly.

rc213

So I'm looking at $800-850 for Pixel XL. Gonna be a tough choice between that and LG V20...

Really goofy pricing though. Google wants to go up against the Note 7 and iPhone 7 Plus so badly.

There is absolutely no way in hell it's $800, I'm guessing it's $700. I'm still leaning towards the LG v20 though so Google will have to blow me away to sway me back. It better have some special sauce on that camera app and not that barebones shit the Nexus 6p has if they want me to pay $300+ more than the 6p which i love. Maybe Nexus Protect included for 2yrs? Audio DACs like the LG v20/Axon 7? Looks like front facing speakers are clearly out. Honestly I'm not sure i can think of anything that will make it worth more than something like the v20 which is rumored $650-700.

Aiii

So not worth it
In a year where mid-range flagships get great prices, Google fucks it all up.

That's the thing, though. Business-wise, I'm not sure they are.

There's a bit of marketing psychology that goes on where the price of premium products determines its perceived value. And pricing things like smartphones at a budget-price compared to its competition makes people dismiss the product out of hand, even if it's just as good or better than the competition. It's kind of like with cars, in a way, where a manufacturer will just rebrand their car to a "premium" brand, maybe add some faux leather on the dashboard and presto, 10k premium and people will actually think it's a way better car.

With Apple and Samsung as market leaders pricing their flagships at a high price, people will compare them to other phones and think "oh boy, those 300 USD sure make this device that much better." Google already has the brand recognition, it's not outside the realm of possibility that pricing their device alongside other "premium" flagships will actually help sell their shit better. It's a gamble, but I'm not sure it's not one worth taking for Google.

Saiyan-Rox

So Oneplus are actually teaming up with a carrier here (O2) and the OP3 will be available on contract this week.

First step in store for them :O

T.O.P

Banned
Is there an app that lets me chat on FB without the necessity of downloading Messenger?

I have friendly on Ios but the app doesn't really work the same on Android :/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're getting excited over a Daydream headset but I speak as a Vive owner, you're never going to bother with it after a couple weeks.

Need that tablet.

I'm actually seriously considering (as in, I'm 99% sure I'm going to do it) going back to iPhone myself (after 4 years of Android). Mostly because I don't want HTC and because Android just keeps introducing weird bugs with each update.

Frankly, if you want a phone that has consistent and (mostly) reliable updates, you need to be on iOS at the moment. Stock Android support isn't what it used to be (it's pretty much a dice throw on whether or not your battery life is fucked on Nougat right now), and the Qualcomm keep messing up on the hardware end too. iPhone currently has the fastest processors (by far) and the OS has caught up with most of Android. Sure, it still isn't as customizable (only a factor if you do, in fact, customize), but since you're able to delete stock apps now, have widgets, connect your smart appliances (Home is pretty great, you guys) and more. I don't know, making the switch might be the right time.

As for the camera, the camera business has been pretty stagnant, any flagship camera should do you just fine in speed and quality.

I dunno man, unless you're hell bent on sticking with Android, making that switch might not be the worst idea.

One thing I absolutely hate about iOS is the lack of sideloading and the mandatory use of iTunes.

That being said the android market for tablets is piss poor so I might roll the dice and get a Surface Pro to replace my Air 2.

Saiyan-Rox

Tbh thinking about it OP have come a long way since the OP2. the software on the OP3 is pretty much flawless for me atm (as since 3.2.4) just a shame I liked the feel of the OP2 more than the OP3.

Be good to see Nougat on it in about 5 months time since they're spending time on this merger.

Aiii

So not worth it
One thing I absolutely hate about iOS is the lack of sideloading and the mandatory use of iTunes.

That being said the android market for tablets is piss poor so I might roll the dice and get a Surface Pro to replace my Air 2.

Fair enough. But the iTunes requirement was dropped years ago, you can set-up and use your device just fine without ever installing iTunes. The only time you would really need it if you somehow brick your device and need to put it into recovery mode and restore the OS.

But I'm derailing the thread with all this iOS talk, sorry guys.

First Lenovo get rid of 95% of Moto http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...-now-lost-over-95-of-employees-in-four-years/

And now apparently a new devcie will have MS bloatware installed http://www.xda-developers.com/moto-m-rumored-to-launch-with-microsoft-bloatware-pre-installed/

Cause teaming up with MS worked so well for Cyanogen

The partnership between Microsoft and Lenovo was announced a while ago and seems similar to what Microsoft is doing with Samsung, Xiaomi, LG or around 70 other manufacturers.

It sucks, because you can only disable the apps.

Saiyan-Rox

The partnership between Microsoft and Lenovo was announced a while ago and seems similar to what Microsoft is doing with Samsung, Xiaomi, LG or around 70 other manufacturers.

It sucks, because you can only disable the apps.

I had no idea MS had partnerships with other Android manufactures

How is the Pixel C piss poor? That thing needs more advertising

Top Bottom